Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kitchenstumpt2

Galley Kitchen! Broom Storage?

kitchenstumpt2
13 years ago

I have a small galley kitchen and almost no additional storage. Where do you guys keep your brooms and dustpan? I am currently taking these items down to the basement after use and quite frankly, I am tired! Any pictures of solutions would be appreciated.

Comments (12)

• rhondamom3
    13 years ago

The garage or side of my washer. I need help too! I also have no room for a trash can!

• laur620
    13 years ago

I have a galley kitchen as well. I bought a rack(like hooks, but you push the handle of the broom into the holders, and it locks around it) that hangs on the wall. It was made specifically for brooms and mops. I think I got it at Home Depot/Lowes. I put it at the top of the stairs of my basement. That way I don't have to go all the way downstairs, but it is not out in the open. Since my basement is not a finished basement, it does not bother me that they are there, and they do not get in our way of the stairs to the basement either. The dustpan I own snaps right onto the broom.

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

We have two closets across the room that I guess could be considered "coat" closets since they are by the doors. They are full-width closets with bifold doors, so can hold plenty besides coats. The brooms and mops are in there. Can you mount a hanging rack insde your coat clost (if you have one)?

• brickmanhouse
    13 years ago

What about a hook or rack mounted on the back side of your basement door?

• melaska
    13 years ago

Hi...Diamond cabinets has some great organizational products...here is their 6" deep utility closet. I don't know if you'd have room on one of your cupboard ends but maybe you could put it elsewhere close by. I'll link the site, as well.

Here is a link that might be useful: Diamond cabinets organization products

• lisakitch
    13 years ago

oh, i so get your frustration. I gave up the stair climbing and left the mops, etc. at the top of the basement stairs. A little dangerous and not a good look given that there is no door! Just re-did my kitchen and managed to squeeze in a broom closet by going with a 24 inch wide fridge. It's heaven. That 6" closet looks good if you have a spot for it.

• Buehl
    13 years ago

Do you have a 4" to 6" space somewhere? For a solution that is not cabinet-maker dependent, check the thread linked below. It's not an "Ikea" solution, it's a solution that some folks at IkeaFans came up with...it's not "Ikea" dependent...

Here is a link that might be useful: 4'' Broom Closet from Ikeafans

• melaska
    13 years ago

buehl - what a great solution - I'm keeping that info for when it's time for mine :) Thanks!

• bob_cville
    13 years ago

In my kitchen remodel I ended up with no room in the kitchen for brooms and such, but had some space available at the end of the new powder room. The only problem is the only way to access that space is from one wall of the living room, and having a door there would look very out-of-place.

So this is the solution I came up with, a built-in bookcase that swings open on hinges to reveal a hidden broom closet.

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}
    {{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

The kitchen is visible in the background on the right side of the images. The door visible to the left of the bookcase is the door to the newly added powder room. (and was the original entrance to the long skinny galley kitchen)

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Wow! What great ideas! I currently keep mops, brooms, and pails in my first floor laundry room, but if I get a sink in there (as I'd like), I'll have to find a new place for them. Thanks everyone for the ideas!

• kitchenstumpt2
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hey! Great ideas! Thanks for the pictures, Bob and Melaska! Yesterday I got frustrated and stuck the broom in a closet I am also using for dry goods, pots and pans. It's a makeshift pantry of sorts.

I don't think I will do this again (unsanitary), but I was desperate. Too bad, because that door attachment mentioned by you guys would probably work for me, if I wasn't also storing food items. I will check out the sites mentioned, too.

Thanks everyone.

• broom124
    9 years ago

Since pots and pans tend to take up so much room - they are perfect candidates for hanging kitchen storage organization.

Sponsored
Kitchen Kraft
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars39 Reviews
Ohio's Kitchen Design Showroom |11x Best of Houzz 2014 - 2022