Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

4'' Broom Closet from Ikeafans

Buehl
16 years ago

Ikeafans has 2 threads about how to build a 4" broom closet. (Thanks for reminding us about it Napagirl!)

We may have a 6" tall filler (90") b/w our ovens and cabinets to the right. From the Ikeafans website it looks like StacyLu (with a box prebuilt) and Jgsearls (w/o a prebuilt box) had theirs retrofitted...after everything else was done. Since our contractor has not been very receptive to new and different ideas, we're thinking of doing this ourselves...but it would have to be after the fact.

Has anyone on this site done this? Does anyone know if we can just attach the filler strip to a 2x4 or 2x6...or do we have to have a finished plywood piece (or, is that what filler is???)?

Two threads about this, both on Ikeafans:

4" Broom Closet Modification (Stacylu)

Pullout Broom Closet Modification (Jgsearls)

Note: I think you have to be logged into Ikeafans to see the pictures.

Comments (40)

• rmkitchen
    16 years ago

Hi buehl!

I'm not a member of ikeafans but I do have these pictures courtesy of dianalo:

{{gwi:1662168}}{{gwi:1662169}}

{{gwi:1662171}}{{gwi:1662173}}

Our cabinetmaker has made one for us and I believe it's six inches wide (I think because he gave me the "okay" to purchase a five inch pull for it). It will sit in between our freezer and pantry and he's kitted it with stainless peg board so we'll be able to hang all sorts of doo-dads. I believe part of it is sitting in our raw kitchen right now (out of the way of the drywallers) but won't be installed until next week at the earliest. I'll be happy to post pictures of it once it's in.

I'm so grateful to dianalo for posting these photos last summer -- ours is not an enormous kitchen and this should be a clean-up godsend!

• rosie
    16 years ago

I've not done this, but it looks like a very good use of that swing space (3 inches plus?) that often needs to accommodated alongside refrigerators. The door could even be recessed if necessary.

• mrslimestone
    16 years ago

What a genius idea!

• stacylu
    16 years ago

Hi there... If you have questions I'm available here as well as ikeafans. Our pullout was not done as a retro fit or after things were done and as far as I know, neither was Jenn's (jsgearls). My handy hubby designed and built it. We're also quite friendly on ikeafans, if you have questions that's probably the best place to find me.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks Stacy! I don't know if we will have a place for this, but I'm researching our options. I was hoping it could be done later since I don't think my contractor would be receptive to doing this...or he might mark it up so high that we couldn't afford it!

If we do have a place for it, I will definitely be contacting you for more information! I was hesitant to post on the IkeaFans site b/c our cabinets are not Ikea.

• stacylu
    16 years ago

I really think it can be done later as long as there's space for it and trim isn't installed (depending on your trim I suppose).
    Is it something that you could build and have the contractor install while he's doing the other cabinets? That would avoid the markup and possibly his hesitancy to do it.
    And I'll just say that there are people on ikeafans that decide not to go with Ikea, we know it's not for everybody but they (and you) are still welcome to post there. The original pictures (the white cabinets above) aren't Ikea cabs but they served as the inspiration for what DH built... I must say though that it's odd to see pictures of our kitchen linked in from strangers. It's a compliment but still strange :)
    Best of luck in whatever you decide!
    Stacy

• napagirl
    15 years ago

Bump .... good post to keep around for awhile!

• planningnut
    15 years ago

Can something like this be done with a 3" filler space? I have 3" in my 90" tall pantry wall and would love a spot to store my broom...

thanks!

• flatcoat2004
    15 years ago

I didn't specifically need "tall" storage for brooms etc, so I went a slightly different way ... to make it easier on my contractor, I bought two of the 3" RevAShelf base filler units with pegboard, and had him stack them on top of each other next to my fridge. So I have a lower pullout and an upper pullout, each with a "drawerfront" on the face. Not finished yet because the drawerfronts haven't arrived yet.

I'll use this to store all the odds and ends that I *don't* want to accumulate on the kitchen counters ... dog leashes, baggies, grooming equipment, pens and pencils, scissors, grocery lists, rubber bands ....

• cate1337
    15 years ago

bump

• Buehl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

To add to the thread, the following also has some info (as well as other storage ideas):

Thread: Care to share your best kitchen storage ideas?

• westsider40
    13 years ago

bump

• daveinorlado
    13 years ago

as a kitchen and bath store owner and designer of all the kitchens I sell this is not that hard to do. It is basicly a pull out spice rack that is really tall. It is done all the time as with 6" fillers or 3" fillers. You should be able to get all the slide out parts from a website that sells Rev a shelf products or hafle. Once you see the instructions you wil get the idea. Normally there are slide out tracks on both sides or the unit tries to twist.
    You need a decorative front that matches the cabinets. Nomally you would use filler strip from the cabinet maker and normall put a decorative over it called a profile filler to make it look nice. Profile fillers are shaped to look as much like a door as possible given how skinny they are. You contractor either is in expierenced in things like this or he just wants to get in and get out.

• jeri
    13 years ago

Im not sure why this thread was bumped, but I really hope to do one of these in our laundry room. I will not have a broom closet otherwise and I really think this is a great use of space.

DaveInOrlando  Thanks for you input. My DH will be building ours so any insight really helps. :-)

Here are a few more pictures of these. The first is from and the next 2 belong to JustMeJulie.

{{gwi:1662177}}
    {{gwi:1662179}}

• littlesmokie
    13 years ago

I'm thrilled this got bumped, we have the perfect spot for this great idea. Thanks!

• jenny1963
    13 years ago

Bump

• angela12345
    12 years ago

does anyone still have pictures of dianalo's broom closet ? The links above are no longer active. : (

• angela12345
    12 years ago

Not sure why this is not bumping ?? Looking to find out if anyone still has pictures of dianalo's broom closet ? The links above are no longer active.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Angela & Jenny...this thread dropped off the 67-page thread list a year ago. Bumping it will not bring it back to the list. Once a thread drops off page 67, it can no longer be bumped back onto the list (except in rare circumstances that I think have more to do with a glitch in GW!)

However, you can still go to it if you have the URL...like you did. That's one reason it's in the "Read Me" thread!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Unfortunately, the links to IKEAFans no longer work due to legal issues with IKEA.

If anyone has the pictures saved to their computer or photo site, could you please post them here for others to see?

• feisty68
    9 years ago

Quite a few photos available using a simple search.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Feisty68, I was hoping to get pictures with the accompanying descriptions of what was done - that's what is/was on IKEAFans.

• juno_barks
    9 years ago

We have a 4-inch broom closet in progress. Not yet finished. I will take photos and post our strategy here. Probably won't be done for a couple more weeks.

• mariahdc
    9 years ago

Juno_barks,

I would love to see the process/photos your 4" broom closet, since the IKEA fans site is gone. Thank you!

• angela12345
    9 years ago

Here is mine

edit: to include smaller pic (the first one was too big!!)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    9 years ago

See the thread linked below for pictures of one of these being built.

• SharonNM
    9 years ago

Maybe this will help.

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

I read the IKEAFANS thread text courtesy web.archive.org but there are no pictures. Buehl / Sharon NM - could you please repost the links / threads in your posts. They seem to have gone AWOL. Thanks.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

4" Broom Closet instructions taken from a web archive and pictures that I had saved long ago.

The instructions and pictures are courtesy of StacyLu and Dianalos (fellow GWers)

• Buehl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

• Buehl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Finished Product:

Closed:

Open:

• Buehl
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Other pictures:

• raee_gw zone 5b-6a Ohio
    8 years ago

Thank you, buehl!

Wouldn't it be nice if we could resurrect other Ik**Fans hacks. (Asterisks used to avoid issues with Big Blue/Yellow since I think they bought the site)

• beachem
    8 years ago

Thank you for posting this as I will be hacking my own IKEA broom closet this week. I may have to do something different since based on the pictures, my 6" space won't yield enough.

6-1.5"-.75" wall filler leaves 3.75" which I'm not sure will fit the fire extinguisher.

I'll have study it more carefully.

• desertsteph
    8 years ago

post your pics and instructions plz - ok?

• aliris19
    8 years ago

Wow, Buehl - still amazing. What happened to IKEA fans? Did IKEA get mad at them? .... guess to answer this would be to hijack a thread, so let's leave this a rhetorical question please. I'm sure there must be a thread about it.

• thinkingaboutflooring
    8 years ago

I thought the new plinths were made of plastic and not finished on the sides. Would that not make it impossible to re-purpose as a "door/drawer front"?

• sweetverve
    4 years ago

Resurrecting this old thread...I'm loving this idea and hoping to add something similar in our master closet. Which drawer slides specifically to purchase? Are these standard side-mount slides?

• Buehl
    Original Author
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

You do not need to resurrect this thread. This thread is part of the Knowledge Base contained in the "New to Kitchens? Read Me First!" thread.

https://www.houzz.com/discussions/5500754/new-to-kitchens-read-me-first

It's better to not resurrect old threads as you knock people off the first page who are asking for help now.

If you have a question that is not answered in this thread, please start your own thread. Many of the regulars will bypass a thread when they see it's an old thread, knowing the original poster no longer needs help. (This has a lot to do with the fact that some Houzz Pros and others often spam us to try to drive traffic to their sites and/or hire them.)

[Bold is used above so others will notice the statement as well since we can no longer use color and other formatting to draw attention to something.]

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm