Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbie_metzger

Just Once More, maybe? Please review this plan

Cook1
15 years ago

OK, two days ago I was completely happy with the floorplan I created (with lots of your useful comments). Then the contractor came over, and he suggested I look again at the option of switching the DR and Kitchen and opening everything up, telling me it will update the kitchen, give me better space, etc.

So I went back to the drawing board, and remeasured all my demensions for the LR/DR and hallways and then came up with this plan.

a href="http://s299.photobucket.com/albums/mm293/metzgerreiner/?action=view¤t=fpsinkpen1.jpg"; target="_blank">

#1A Shows the penninsula again and then the bottom part of the hallway leading to the FR and the outside patio, etc.

But then I was reviewing older plans and combined a couple of different plans into this one in which I opened the wall to the LR but by moving the door into the DR it gave me more options, so now I have this one:

#2A

In a magazine I saw a really cool pic that I was trying to create, it had a high counter by placing the oven higher than normal (the opening is for the oven inmy drawing) and then kept a counter of that hight and wrapped it around the opening [which is what I tried to draw).

I think the first plan has good space for cooking and the second plan has a better overall house flow, but is not as good for cooking.

What do you think? Do either of these plans stand out as a space you could cook in? Any problems, issues, comments?

I can't decide if I can't make a final decision because I am incapable, or because I just haven't found the right plan. Thanks for your patience, as as always I welcome your comments.

Comments (13)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm not getting a whole picture of how the house flow works in either.

In the first, I hope you won't really need to fit a table that size in the newly created dining space? It doesn't fit.

It does, however, look like a good kitchen to family room connection, if you use the family room a lot. And it is quite a kitchen space, like you haven't had otherwise. Not much natural light, though.

In the 2nd plan, the range seems like it's too close to being in the doorway. The fridge will block part of the light/view from the window over the banquette and make the seating feel more hemmed in. It seems like I liked your last plan better than this one. I think I really liked that one, but am not 'feeling' this one.

• Cook1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Rhome, glad you chimed in. When I woke up this am and didn't see the post until the second page, I figured noone would even notice my question. So much for late night posts from Ca.

We have a long DR table, 120"" which we use weekly, so I want to be sure there is space for it-hence the large table. But we can take out 36"" of leaves, so I think it actually will fit in the space if turned perpendicular.

Opps--in reviweing the posed plan #1 there is no way for you to get the whole picture because when I remeasured and redrew the LR/DR entry for dimensions, I didn't even look at how walls other than Kitchn/LR were being moved.

Maybe this will better explain the general floorplan, entry is on top:

#2:

"Deck" on the top is really the front porch, "Deck" on the right is the garage. So the main traffic flow is either from the front door, through the LR/DR into the FR or the bedrooms to the right of the FR. Or from the garage into the kitchen (lots of use).

One of my goals is to open the kitchen to the rest of the house (along with better storage and more counters). B'more once suggested the switch of the DR/LR. I love the idea and am trying to make it work, maybe it is a square peg in a round hole though.

The main problem I see with the first design (if I can get past layout problems), is that the sink looks over a hallway and into the family room, but really isn't part of it. And I wonder if in time, when no kids are around, how happy I'll be looking into an empty family room.

What is the reason you don't like the plan that keeps the kitchen in the same location, but opens the wall to the LR?

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I'm not sure, other than the things I mentioned...the range and fridge locations. Seems awkward. I'd like to see that plan next to your last plan. (from the previous thread)

• rosie
    15 years ago

Cook1, you've put so much into this, and I really don't want to mess you up further, but my goodness, why do you envisage an important room like the family room as empty before long? Aren't you going to use it as a couple? Why not? Too big? Too far from the street? You just love the living room in the middle too much to sit anywhere else??

You've been cramming everything up front, trying to deal with a fairly tight space, and coming up with actually a nice kitchen within your current space, even though it meant not expanding the entry. And yet, maybe I'm taking it wrong, but it sounds like you have tons of space in a room you apparently expect to go to waste, except for holidays or something, before long.

It's spacious. Windows on two sides looking into the rear yard. Access to the patio and outside. Prize real estate. Can you put this valuable square footage to use for you guys or maybe just plan on moving somewhere more suitable eventually?

Off the wall as it sounds, have you played with the idea of putting the kitchen back in part of that room? Maybe right by the living room and opening to a sunroom at the back? A door from the back of the garage would lead right to it.

BTW, although I agree with your contractor generally speaking about the desirability of getting opening the front up a bit, I like the plan you decided on a lot better. :)

• Cook1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rosie-
    I/We do use the family room quite a bit, but right now it is mostly the teenagers with the TV. Even if they are gone, we will still use the space. I was just envisioning myself, washing dishes, and starring into an empty family room. If that's the case, I'd rather stare at the street while doing dishes.

In switching things around, I was hoping to connect the spaces, but mindful of a budget, moving the kitchen all the way into the family room just puts $$$ in my eyes. Or maybe I just don't have any real imaginatio/vision.

Which plan did you like best? I can't tell from your post.

I really appreciate your (and everyone's) helping me think this through. When we did the other addition (FR/and back bedroom/LR/etc.) I was able to decide instantly....

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I agree with Rosie. The reason I asked for a better idea of the flow of your house is because you commented that keeping the kitchen at the front means better flow, while to me, it looked like a better overall use of the house, and better connections with the kitchen moved down and the entrance more opened up to the dining and living rooms.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

We posted at the same time. I can relate to the desire to keep the costs low by keeping the kitchen in its original spot...and not knowing your house or its surroundings, I certainly respect your choice of views! If you want to keep the street view and want to keep the original location, let's compare the plans that do that for you and make it the best it can be in that spot. If you aren't absolutely loving the new plan and the gains that moving it gets you, it's not worth it.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Well, an explanation makes perfect sense. I wondered if it could be simply preferring a view of the neighborhood out front, something I certainly understand. And it's very nice that you're so close to a good decision without need for tossing the cards up in the air again. But since you have thought about moving your kitchen, before making this big decision, why don't you have a little discussion with your contractor about what kind of costs you'd be looking at? Then you'll know.

As it is, I like the kitchen you and Rhome and the others put together better. I could work there.

• Cook1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rhome,

I got the feeling that you didn't particularly like the new plan with the kitchen in the current DR space as well as the plan in the existing footprint. [that plan is not part of this post]. I agree that by tyring to open the wall into the LR it compromised the kitchen [the earlier, closed off plan was better].

Was the "I'm ot feeling it" referring to just the second posted plan or both of them? If you don't like the first plan, where the kitchen moves into current DR, why not?

• Cook1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Rosie,
    Just to keep me on track, and make sure I understand, can you specify which kitchen you like best? I thought I understood, but in rereading I'm confused. Maybe I should adopt a:
    1. Is it behind door #1--the kitchen in its current location, but the earlier older plan with no open wall to LR

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to original message

• Cook1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

opps lost part of my response:
    here is the complete question:

1. Is it behind door #1--the kitchen in its current location, but the earlier older plan with no open wall to LR
    2. Is it door #2: the new plan with the kitchen in the existing DR space (sink in a penninsula)
    3. Or door #3: this one is empty--keep looking.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Sorry to be confusing. The "I'm not feeling it" was referring to the plan in this thread for the current kitchen space, and thought I remembered being more excited about the plan you'd posted in the previous thread. I actually thought the one in the dining space had possibilities. I have to admit that I didn't study it closely, just more for house location and general layout. I like that it gave your seating area more space, a more open entrance from the garage, and at the main entry.

When I look at details, I'd shift the island toward the sink, and I could see a prep sink being helpful. I understand you may not want to go to a larger kitchen that adds more expensive features like that, since you work alone. I also see that the fridge and sink are not as handy to the table. All in all, although I like the idea OK, it may not be as efficient as the last plan you had.

How's that for being wishy-washy? ;-)

• Cook1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I agree with you 100%-- it is a good idea, not a great execution. I have my work for tonight set out. Thanks for clarifying.

And as always thanks for your input.