Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
happytobehome_gw

Please help our fridge find a home!

happytobehome
15 years ago

Help! We can't decide where to put the refrigerator in our DIY budget remodel. In the 3 layouts below, the west (range) and north (sink) walls will remain as shown. The southeast corner is currently a blank canvas that must include the refrigerator. In your opinion, which of the 3 layouts works best? All opinions and suggestions gratefully welcomed!

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Comments (30)

• Fori
    15 years ago

Number 3. Two looks best but wastes space. And no. 1 makes the entrance to den/dining room too squishy.

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the quick answer fori!

Forgot to mention in my original post that I'm not concerned about the wasted space in #2. I have enough now, and will not be losing any. I'm more concerned with how it looks and flows at this point.

• jujybean
    15 years ago

Allow me to chime in. I think #1 makes more sense. The amount of steps from prep area/sink to the fridge needs to be minimal. #2, I personally don't like your fridge stuck in the corner. It may be a waste of space that on paper doesn't matter, but once you implement it, will make you slap yourself, plus you are giving up cabinet storage, i.e lazy susan. #3 well makes your fridge seem like a poor little orphan. Plus if you are in the den, you have to walk all the way across the kitchen to get anything to drink.

• astridh
    15 years ago

I don't like #1 or #3 because of the way the refrigerator protrudes into your kitchen. I would do #2. I also like the way #2 has the angled refrigerator mirroring the angled corner opposite to it. You are losing some storage space that way, but lazy susans are inconvenient storage space anyway. Other options to consider would be a counter-depth refrigerator or building out the base cabinets on one side of your "L" to be as deep as the refrigerator. Or recessing the refrigerator into the dining room/living room/ foyer. Could you do a recessed wall-unit or closet on part of the wall on the other side to even out the wall?

• Fori
    15 years ago

If space isn't a concern, I do like the look of 2. But...be sure the fridge doors open adequately!

I don't think it matters where in the kitchen the fridge is from a utility standpoint. I know what it is to have a smallish kitchen--everything is a few steps away no matter how hard you try!

Do you have space to pull out your fridge surround cabinets (if you don't go with the corner layout) to make your standard depth fridge look counter depth? It would smooth out the feel considerably, not to mention give extra counter/desk space you may or may not want. I don't want your fridge sticking out!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

#1 or #2, preferably #2--looks wise. But, if you have a 36" refrigerator, you will lose a little more than 4' (closer to 4-1/4' - 4-1/2') on each wall. Regardless of it's location, it will look best/more built-in if you surround the carcass with finished end panels and a full-depth cabinet above. If you go the corner route, I would recommend a corner cabinet above the refrigerator to give you a lot of storage for those seldom-used items. Yes, you will probably have to use a stool to get to the items, but so what? You won't have to do it that often!

Now...refrigerator location considerations...Ideally, your refrigerator should be located such that

1. It's easily accessible to the kitchen, preferably the prep area in the kitchen

2. It's easily accessible to the DR and Den/LR/FRAND

3. Access from DR/Den/LR/FR does not interfere with prepping and cooking

Both #1 and #2 fulfill those considerations. #2 also has the refrigerator fairly close to the LR in your plan as well. This plus the look are why I prefer #2....with the caveat that you will lose space!

Note: For #1, if you could recess the refrigerator into the DR behind it you could make it look built-in. But I don't think that will work...unless you consider cabinetry or something on that DR wall to make the bump-in less obvious.

• astridh
    15 years ago

If you do the corner cabinet, you might want to consider a custom cabinet maker. Maybe he could figure out a way to do angled doors so that you could access those "triangles" on each side of the countertop in the area above the countertops, at least.

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for all your replies!

Jujybean - #1 is where the fridge has been for the last 18 years (placed by KD of previous owners), so you have a good eye! You are correct that #2 wastes space, but it is potential, not actual, storage that is lost, as I currently have only one cabinet next to the fridge, and nothing on the south (living room/foyer) wall.

You've all made great points and given me more to consider in making this decision.

Astridh - The old fridge was a huge counter depth built-in. The new fridge (purchased last January on sale) is a GE Cafe. At the time of purchase, the GE Cafe counter depth was not yet available. I like your idea of recessing the fridge, but unfortunately on our budget, we won't be able to mess around with the walls.

Fori - Ha Ha -- you are so right about the small kitchen -- 2 steps to reach anything! DH says he doesn't think we have the space to make the surrounding cabinets deeper.

You've all made great points and given me more to think about!

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Buehl - we posted at the same time! Yes, we planned to surround the fridge with panels and a top cabinet regardless of its location. A corner cabinet for seldom used items would be great. I agree that 1 and 2 both work prep area wise.

Astridh - I am lucky to have a brother-in-law who is a custom cabinet maker, and will be making the cabinets for the southeast corner. The old cabinets on the north and west walls will stay, but with new paint and new doors from DH's brother.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

I don't know if you can see well enough the photo of this corner fridge(I took it off the web - it is my neighbors house that is for sale - we had the same builder. It seems to work efficiently and I like the #2 layout the best. I think it opens your kitchen up more.

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• suero
    15 years ago

I second buehl's suggestion to surround the fridge with end panels and a full depth cabinet above. We did that in our kitchen, and there are multiple benefits.
    1) the fridge bulk is minimized.
    2) the fridge looks built-in without the expense.
    3) the fridge can be moved easily when things need to be repaired (e.g., icemaker electronics).
    4) the cabinet above is great for storing large items that are used infrequently, such as seasonal platters.

I like #1 because I think it gives you maximum use of the desk. I think the desk would feel too cramped with #2.

• Buehl
    15 years ago

If you check out Alku05's corner ovens in the link below, you'll see how she handled the corners...she actually had the cabinet go straight back and uses the angled area for, in one picture, knife storage!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Wall ovens in the corner...thoughts?

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Similar to what suero is saying, this is what we did:

I do love having the full depth cabinet above, for Christmas platters, etc., but you can have the same space with the refrigerator in the corner.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

#3 except pushed to the west end of the run.

• User
    15 years ago

None of the above. Make the opening between your DR and kitchen larger and just make that run of cabinets at the bottom a straight run and forget turning the corner. That way you can use the depth of the wall to pull any base cabinets out and build in your fridge. (Sorta a modified #3) Use one side of the fridge for a roll out cart that you can pull out when you need extra prep space and tuck away when you don't.

• susieq07
    15 years ago

#1 the perfect triangle...#2 waste a whole corner, lot's of wasted space there.

• nhb22
    15 years ago

What did you decide on?

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

We're still deliberating. Unfortunately our favorite (#2 - fridge in the corner ) won't work due to refrigerator doors hitting cabinets when opened fully. We could "be careful" to open the doors only part way, but that's not realistic.

We're revisiting the issue and debating a 4th option of placing the fridge in the middle of the East (dining room) wall surrounded by pantry style cabinets on both sides, and a free standing desk on the South (living room) wall.

Thanks for asking!

• saruna
    15 years ago

How about placing the fridge next to the range? Will you have any counter space between the range and the fridge?

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

No, the fridge can't go next to the range. The range is on the West wall, which is not changing in configuration. There are currently cabinets on either side of the range which are staying and getting a new coat of paint and new doors. The only walls available for the fridge are East and South.

• saruna
    15 years ago

ah.. ok. Then I would vote for #3, as it will put the fridge closer to the range. But will you want the fridge closer to the dining room?
    Is there anything in the south-east corner now or will it be all new?

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

It will all be new. Previously there was a built in fridge (monstrosity) on the East wall right next to the dining room doorway, with an upper and lower cabinet to the right of the fridge extending into the corner (but not a corner cab). The South wall was completely naked except for a wall phone and an ancient built-in radio/intercom.

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

But will you want the fridge closer to the dining room?

It's a small kitchen, Saruna. Doesn't matter which wall you put the refrig on because once you round the corner from the dining room, you're standing in front of the refrigerator, whichever wall it's on.

Well, maybe one more step if it's on the bottom wall but probably less prone to congestion in that location.

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Newhomebuilder -

Thanks for the pics. I was wondering if the doors on your neighbor's corner fridge can open all the way without bumping into the cabinets/countertop. Do you know your neighbors well enough to ask how they dealt with that issue. I'm sorry, but I just can't tell from the pictures.

The new (easy to move) fridge has been delivered and the old carted away (with much difficulty). The new fridge is currently in the corner (diagram #2) and I love the way it looks there so much that I really want to make it work if at all possible!

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

Is there any way that the fridge doors can be set to open far enough, but not to hit the cabs? A fridge in the corner would take up alot of space, but some corners end up being a waste anyway. I'd like a corner pantry, I know it's going to be a PITA to get to the back but I don't really have another option that will make the whole kitchen work.

Good luck!

• happytobehome
    Original Author
    15 years ago

remodelqueen - I asked DH the same question about doors opening less. He said he wasn't sure, but the real problem would be that the freezer door (side by side) would not open far enough for the wire baskets to slide out. Just doesn't seem to make sense to buy a fridge for certain features, and then limit its abilities due to location. Woe is me!

I think a corner pantry is a great idea. There is always stuff you hardly use that can be stored furthest back.

Good luck to you too!

• remodelqueen
    15 years ago

Too bad the freezer doesn't have all shelves!!! It's such a bummer when one thing tweaks your entire vision for the kitchen. Sorry! :(

I am thinking of having a "stacked" cabinet in the corner and using it as a pantry. I will have a larger cabinet in the garage to hold bulk items (canned goods, water bottles, etc. on the bottom and toilet paper, light bulbs, etc.. on the top shelves) so I am not too concerned with space for the kitchen. I just want to make sure there is some kind of designated pantry space in case we ever have to sell.

Hope it works out for you!

• saruna
    15 years ago

happytobehome, if you like the fridge in the corner, maybe you can consider shallow cabinets around it which might make it possible to open the doors fully? You could have shallow full height pantries, which will make up for the wasted space.
    Or if you need the counter space and/or the desk, how about using wall cabinets instead? It will be shallow and your counters might be 15" or 18" depth. We have used 24" high wall cabinets(12" deep) for a bench in our dining area with 18" deep granite top. That is bonus storage for me.
    Or you could do tall shallow pantry on the south wall, and wall cabinets on the east wall, so you will have some counter space.
    Does that sound ridiculous?? Hope I did not confuse you... I just hope you can work out something to get the fridge where you like it! good luck!

• Buehl
    15 years ago

HappyToBeHome....try posting your question on the Home Decorating Forum as well. I think that's where I've seen her/him post the most often.

If you still want the refrigerator in the corner, I think that if you pulled the refrigerator forward a few inches (and add the finished end panels + overhead cabinet) you will have no problems opening the refrigerator or freezer door w/o hitting the surrounding cabinets.

Or...Saruna's idea would also work. 24" deep pantries are often too deep. However, if you put in 18" deep pantries on either side you would gain 6" of air space for the doors. I would put 12" or 15" deep shelves in the pantries...maybe 15" on the sides & 12" in the middle (so you have some deeper space for bigger packages or even small appliances.

If you need a little more counter space, perhaps you could have a pantry on either end of the walls and maybe 18"deep base cabinets & 15" deep wall cabinets next to the refrigerator on each side of it.

However, in any case, the refrigerator might loom larger since it will stick quite a bit further out than the cabinets...I don't know which would be better...

Here is a link that might be useful: Home Decorating

• nhb22
    15 years ago

Hi

My neighbors are out-of-town house hunting. However, we looked at their home before buying ours, and I opened the refrigerator and don't recall the door being a problem.

As for those pull out shelves...I had to have them too, and I never use them. It's easier to reach in and grab what you need, because the baskets get frozen to the side rails.

Since you have the appliance in house (and sitting in the corner), can't you do some sort of mock up with 2x4's (or a piece of furniture), to simulate the counter/cabinets?