Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help !!! Kitchen Pantry

Posted by tahoe3 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 15, 08 at 13:19

We are working on on new walk in kitchen pantry. I need help building the shelving, what is the normal distance between the shelves, another words how far apart should my shelves be????? Any ideas or comments from people who already have these pantries, what they like, don't like, wish they had???

Thanks
Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help !!! Kitchen Pantry

The thread I linked below (in which Buehl quoted Sharb's pantry shelf spacing) helped me tremendously with figuring out the distance between my shelves. I had to adjust for things like placement of the electrical outlets, etc., but it was a very good and helpful start.

Here is another good pantry thread:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/decor/msg1110433025538.html

In my pantry, starting from the floor, the spacing between shelves is 19" (floor to shelf), 15", 14", 10", 10", 14", and then 21+" to the ceiling. Photos of my pantry:
Photobucket

Photobucket

Here is a link that might be useful: pantry thread with SharB's distance-betw-shelves measurements

o

Shelving spacing depends on what you want to store in the pantry. Here is how mine worked out:

bottom shelf -- high enough to stack two cases of long neck beers underneath (as that is what goes on the floor)

next shelf up -- high enough to hold stand mixer, food processor and blender (fully assembled so as to not waste foot print space)

top shelf -- low enough to hold 20qt stock pot and rolls of 12 pack of paper towels

intermediate shelves -- three shelves spaced evenly between top shelf and one up from bottom

The upshot is that I have a few shelves spaced for tall items and the remaining shelves spaced for typical stuff. You will want to make sure that the smallest spacing is high enough to accommodate two stacked cans.

Allow some space for a flat-folding step stool so that you can reach stuff on the top shelf.

FWIW, prior to its remodel, my pantry was not functional. The aforementioned stand mixer was on the floor! I hated it so much that I wanted to get rid of it. Now I am very happy with it.

Best of luck.

o

Our floor-to-ceiling pantry (not a walk-in) was built with the same adjustable shelves as our cabinets -- those lines of holes at front and back on both sides that those little shelf thingys go into to hold the shelves up.

I've been fiddling with the shelf adjustment ever since we moved back into the kitchen and last night I decided I'd finally gotten it right. I'm glad I had shelves that I could adjust though; I'm not sure I could have figured it out beforehand (or at least I didn't think to before I moved all the stuff out of the pantry!!).

o

Maybe I should've said why we chose those distances for our pantry?

The 19" from the floor was to fit those wheeled bins for my bulk storage.

My grain mill, gallon sized containers/jugs, cereal boxes, and paper towels can all stand in the 14 and 15" spaces.

10" is about perfect for stacking 2 standard sized cans (you can see in my photo) and for most condiment and salad dressing bottles...with just a little space to spare so they're not too tight to maneuver.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here