Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Walk-in pantry -- can I see yours?

Posted by jeannie_kitchen (My Page) on
Sat, May 24, 08 at 18:35

We have a walk-in pantry, and I'm trying to figure out the best way to configure the shelving.

We have moved the door from where it was in our old kitchen, and it now opens into the mudroom. Our mudroom is very small, and always a mess. So I'm thinking of possibly having hooks on one wall of the walk-in pantry for coats, and the other wall for food.

We have a second step in pantry that is off the basement stairs that we will probably use for bulk storage items.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Walk-in pantry -- can I see yours?

First off, if you want to see a really gorgeous pantry, check out SharB's pantry--it even has a chandelier. I'm using hers as my inspiration. The following information comes, I think, from SharB as well:

My pantry measures 4 feet wide by 5 feet deep. Starting at the top:

• 18" top shelf to ceiling (hings I don't need often or are lightweight.)

• 15" to next shelf (cereal boxes, etc.)

• 10" to next (canned goods, etc.)

• 10" to next (canned goods, etc.)

• 16" to next (small appliances)

• 20" from bottom shelf to floor (extra waters, heavy items)

• I made the depth of the back shelf and the right side 12".

• The left side is 6" and holds my husbands hot sauces and other small items.

SharB's pantry is pictured in this thread: I have a pantry suggestion... Ventilate!

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Anyone willing to share the inside of their pantry?

o

Buehl, thanks so much for that thread! Luckily, we have a window in our pantry, which we briefly considered removing, but our KD recommended against, so we are keeping it. Should help with any venting issues.

Our old pantry, with the door on a different side, had simple, very deep shelves all the way up to the ceiling, only on one side. The deep deep shelves meant everything got lost in the back.

It was great to see how different pantries are configured. We're slobs, though, so ours will never look like those!

o

Our walk in pantry is slightly less than 6X6 and we have shelves on 3 sides and a door on the other side. I'll attach a photo rather than explain it but the shelf depths are 12 inches, 10 inches and 7 inches. The counter top depth is 20 inches.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here