Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
curlyjbs117

Show me your pendant lights

curlyjbs117
15 years ago

I cant decide if I want "can lights" over the island or pendant lights. Show me what you chose...

Comments (46)

• macbillybob
    15 years ago

Glass and stainless from Rejuvenation.com. Needed pendants due to ceiling height

Here is a link that might be useful: {{!gwi}}

• Buehl
    15 years ago

We used pendants over our peninsula. I like that I can control them separately from the recessed lights. They also seem more "intimate" than the cans.

See the thread below for pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread: Almost There!

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

We went with some beautiful hand blown glass pendants by glass artist Suzanne Guttman. If you click the photo below, you will get to a website with more details on this particular pendant.

{{!gwi}}

The artist does a lot of different styles and colors. The pricing was decent for a handcrafted blown glass pendant and I can't begin to describe the beauty of these art pieces when you turn them on - amazing! The photos don't do them justice... They are one of our "wow factors" in the kitchen and visitors always seem to comment on them.

...as you can tell, I am a fan of pendants vs. cans but we used a mix of both for good coverage.

Good luck!

• patti823
    15 years ago

I used three pendants over our island. They are height adjustable.

Here is a link that might be useful: Besa pendants

• rnmomx2
    15 years ago

flying high, your kitchen is absolutely gorgeous and would be such the inspiration for me. I'm sorry to hijack the thread, but can you tell what the name of your granite is? Thank you for the pendant link, there are several there that I really like and it's one of the things I have yet to pick out!

• marta9919
    15 years ago

I have Restoration Hardware pendant lights, but here is a blog post on pendant lights that I used for inpsiration. It had great ideas and sources for inexpensive alternatives.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pendant lights

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

Pendant shopping was by far the most difficult and frustrating decision we had to make in our kitchen remodel earlier this year. I knew I wanted pendants but all of the glass ones looked wrong or were way too expensive. Three years earlier I fell in love with some beaded glass mini-pendants I found at The Great Indoors but we weren't really thinking of a remodel at the time. When it was remodel time, for some reason we were bent on Italian Glass pendants.

During our many weekend trips out looking for pendants, we found cheap glass pendants, the kind on the shelf you build yourself by choosing the glass and cord. We brought a number of different sizes and shapes home and hung them from the ceiling. I felt like Goldilocks, some were 'too big', some were 'too small' but we never found any that were 'just right'.

After looking for several weeks at what felt like thousands of pendants (and probably was), I remembered the beaded pendants. I found the dimensions and shape online, made life-size paper cutouts, hung them above the counter and lived with it for a week. Bingo! Perfect! ... and here they are.

{{!gwi}}

Tech Lighting Egypt in Dark Amber with satin nickel trim with a 4" flush round canopy Freejack system in satin nickel.

Jodi-

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Flying High, what a gorgeous kitchen and living room. I love the pendant lights. I took a look at her website. They are stunning. Thanks for sharing. Maybe some day I can have one of those over my dining room table. Amazing work.

• slc2053
    15 years ago

Jodi..do you mind me asking what you paid? We have no dealer locally and I'm having a hard time finding a way to purchase these pendants..and want to know approx cost to even see if it's worth the trouble..thanks!

BTW, your pendants are the "dark amber?" There is a red option but your pendants, with lights on, do look a bit red...is that so or is it just the photo?

• outonalimb_2007
    15 years ago

agree that pendants create a more intimate feel and can also set your style tone -- modern, country, whatever. If by chance you are going modern (we are but we may be somewhat in the minority), you might try ylighting.com -- good selection of modern pendants and other lighting.

Here is a link that might be useful: ylighting

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

We also have pendants over the island (and in the pantry) which are on a separate control from the cans and under cabinet lights. The island is about 9 ft long and there are three small pendants over the eating area. We aren't quite done, but here is a snapshot.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

SLC2053, we paid about $110 which included the freejack and canopy.

My husband and I have discussed the color of the pendants a number of times. I agree with you, the color looks like the Red option on the Tech Lighting site but he insists (and has the better brain cells) that we got the Dark Amber even though the Red looks pretty much like what you see lit up in our kitchen.

I tried to find a photo of the pendants during the day when they aren't on but don't seem to have one. If I get a chance to take a photo tomorrow morning before I leave for work I'll do that.

We bought ours at The Great Indoors but also saw them at Lamps Plus.

Jodi-

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

I went with recessed light chandeliers above my island. They add a little bit of bling and elegance without taking up visual space. I wanted a clear site line from one end of the kitchen to the other. LOVE them!!!

• julie7549
    15 years ago

Here are our pendants. Picking them was one of the hardest decisions for us. When lit, they have all the major colors of our kitchen, especially red & yellow. The pendant rods turn into a leaf shape at the top which is fitting because I garden a lot. We get a lot of compliments on these lights.

{{!gwi}}

• rbsohio
    15 years ago

Patti823 - Can you tell me about the fabulous stools? Your kitchen looks beautiful!
    Thanks, Robin

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

rnmomx2:

The granite is Juparana Gaviota (spelling?). We started with a desire for handcrafted copper sinks. Once we purchased those (along with the faucets) we worked on coordinating the cabinets, granite and lighting. The artist that did the lighting can take your samples and coordinate the colors in the glass. They are one-of-a-kind and we like the fact they are made by a true artisan here in the US (not in China...).

I have put a link to the photo gallery of our kitchen. I sent these photos to the company where we bought the copper sinks and faucets - they gave us a bit of a break for sending them the photos :-) (plus they were fantastic to deal with). You can click on any of the photos and there is detail about all the materials - cabinets, paint, granite, etc.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Photo Gallery

• ellen917
    15 years ago

Julie7549: I LOVE your pendants. Tell me more about them.

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

I received two emails regarding our kitchen specs and flooring, so thought I would post here (see my photo in the original post or follow the link below).

Here are some of the details on what we used:

Hand hammered copper farmhouse and bar sink in Dark Smoke.

Burnished Knotty Alder Cabinets

Juparana Gaviota granite countertop on both islands

Pesaro widespread kitchen faucet with spray - main sink

Corsica kitchen faucet with spray - bar sink

Paint: Miller Paint Devine, "Macadamia".

Hand-blown glass pendants by artist Suzanne Guttman

Hickory wood flooring - #1 select

Hope this answers some of the questions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen photo and specs

• slc2053
    15 years ago

jodi..thanks! Yes, I'd love to see a photo during the day without the pendants on!! I looked at The Great Indoors website but didn't see them..I'll look at Lamps Plus.

Julie7549 and jaymielo...I love your pendants and have seen them on many websites..they look so much better too in someones kitchen! I'm debating something like jodi's or something similar to yours...like...
    {{!gwi}}

• jaymielo
    15 years ago

slc2053, I love that pendant. Very pretty! We bought quite a few Tiffany glass fixtures online and one thing I found while shopping is that the color online was very different than the color when I opened the box, was different than the color when I hung the fixture was different than the color when the light is on. Thankfully, I ended up really liking the final color of all the fixtures, but they have a very chameleon nature and seem to be very influenced by their surroundings. Luckily, most of them have quite a few colors in them that allows them to work in a variety of surroundings.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

I agree with JayMielo, pendant glass color is quite tricky to choose *especially* when you're shopping online. I absolutely fell in love with four pendants I found on the web. We managed to find all four in local lighting places and oh my, the color was nothing like the photos online or even on the actual pendant box. Elk Lighting glass was the worst of the unpredictable ones.

You must see them in person with with the correct bulb in them and turned on. I'm sure it's not quite so bad if you're only considering white or clear glass, but the the colored stuff is just too subject to change.

With some lights costing $400-500 and a 35% restocking charge, mistakes can be costly.

slc2053, I forgot to snap that photo this morning. Have made myself a note and will do it tomorrow morning.

Jodi-

• gglks
    15 years ago

these are what i bought (per another gwer's post) and they are 100 times prettier in person!!! they aren't hung yet but i often just stare at them!!! they are also bigger then i thought. we are hanging 2 over our island which is about 3ft x 7ft.

Here is a link that might be useful: mercury glass pendant

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

OMG gglks! i posted those and i remember you liked them. i'm so excited that you got them for yourself. i'm stll deciding, but i have plenty of time. please, please post a pic when you can! ...just hold it up and take a pic!

i can't wait to see them. i LOVE mercury glass.

• flyinghigh
    15 years ago

We bought our sinks, faucets and our blown glass pendant lights "online" and had no problems. I suspect part of it is that we chose the right companies to do business with. For example, with Art Lighting Gallery, they specialize in artisan crafted "functional art" and have been selling to designers and architects for a long time. They explained that there website was like an "online catalog" but they have been around much longer than the internet. Basically there lighting is made to order and they will work with you on your samples to make sure what you get coordinates with your other design elements. ...and yes, the pendants were much more beautiful in person than was shown in the photos - but they told us that would happen and they were right! They are a fairly big company, so they must be doing something right. We have also dealt with them on sinks (Sinks Gallery is part of the same company and how we found the lighting).

There are lot's of options out there but if you can't find what you are looking for in your local showroom, consider having something made for you - in many cases the cost was the same or even less than what we were finding locally.

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Flyinghigh: Let me just say that your choices are absolutely right on and I can't wait to be able to order pendants and sinks from this company! You did such a great job coordinating everything that it just works and it is beautiful - well done! Cheers!

• julie7549
    15 years ago

Ellen917: here is the info for my pendants. I don't know if they are still sold or not. Kichler, item #65235

Here is a close-up, if it helps.

{{!gwi}}

• jessie21
    15 years ago

slc, where did you find that pendant? i LOVE it.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

We went with mini-pendants (does that still count?)

Originally I wanted hand-blown glass ones like flying high- but couldn't find a blue one close enough to our granite (then with the travails I've had with my granite-probably just as well). So decided to look for something to tie in with our DR chandelier. We love the look- and the light they give off is fantastic for us old fogies!

{{!gwi}}

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

I wanted something ornate and Victorian-like. Hubby wanted something plain and simple. They also had to be cheap. A gw'er found these for us and we both liked them.

The shades are actually a swirly tone on tone white and glow pink when they're on the dimmer.

There's more pics if you click through. Obviously we're not done yet.

• ellen917
    15 years ago

Julie7549: Thanks for the info. Sadly, your pendant is no longer available, but I did see lots to like on the Kichler web site. So many choices...

• patti823
    15 years ago

Robin-
    Thanks! I ordered them online from the link below. Mine are bar height, and they also have counter height as well. The back is slate, and the seats swivel. I'm very happy with them!
    Patti

Here is a link that might be useful: Pompei bar stools

• slc2053
    15 years ago

jessie21....here is a link to the pendant..but do a search on the make and model and you'll find it cheaper on other websites!

• jessie21
    15 years ago

thank you but i think you forgot the link!!

• jessie21
    15 years ago

thank you!!! sooooo cool.

• rnmomx2
    15 years ago

raehelen, I like your mini-pendants, they might work for my house as well. I can't make up my mind, lol. Where did you get them if you don't mind me asking?

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

raehelens's pendants look like Alfa Lighting to me. Real pretty & the inner glass comes in colors.

• raehelen
    15 years ago

mmomx2,

Thankyou, the pendants are from Alico.

My only bone of contention with them is that from the picture in the catalogue and online it appeared that the glass fixture hung from an ORB rod, it came on a silver wire- may be the best thing actually, as it sort of disappears- just was a surprise!

Here is a link that might be useful: Alico pendant PC670-90-45

• mysterymachine
    15 years ago

{{gwi:1595261}}

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

MM, that's not fair teasing us with a bad link...

• mysterymachine
    15 years ago

Really its not showing? It works on my screen. :P You've seen them before anyway pbrisjar :)

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

They're showing up now. Truthfully, I was hoping for a new(er) pic with your new shades and all.

• Jodi_SoCal
    15 years ago

SLC, turns out my husband was correct, we indeed did purchase the Dark Amber Egypt Tech Lighting pendant.

Below are three images, the first is a side view of ours, the second is a bottom view of ours and the third is the image used on the Arcadia Lighting site for the Dark Amber our lamp. Identical. {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• redroze
    15 years ago

Raehelen - I really love your pendant lights too!

Here are mine. They are antique reproduction lights in a bright/polished nickel finish. They're not installed yet.

• mysterymachine
    15 years ago

pbrisjar... this better? (sorry the picture is so dark... looked fine on my computer at home but here at work the pic looks really dark). This is better shot for the pendants light AND its newer with the window treatments :)

• mysterymachine
    15 years ago

I really like your kitchen and lights FlyingHigh!

My pendants are hubbardton forge - forget the model name but they shouldn't be hard to find. The glass type is sand and I have the optional slate plates on the top where it attaches to the ceiling for a tie in to the backsplash. (wow, its been a year now since I was buying this stuff and I've already forgotten the terms). You could probably have your tile guy make those plates for far less money and get a perfect matche with your backsplash so long as he has the right equipment to drill holes in the tile.