Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
buehl

Almost There!

Buehl
15 years ago

I haven't posted about my kitchen for awhile for a couple of reasons...first, I was afraid I had over-posted and people would be saying. "Oh no, not her again!" Second, my camera is out of commission. Well, I borrowed my DH's business camera and took some pictures yesterday to show you the current state of my kitchen...we're getting there! (Now hopefully it's been long enough since I posted a new thread that people will be interested!)

Plumbing: PR still not done b/c of countertop issues (I will be posting a separate thread tonight or tomorrow about this asking for opinions) Also, mirror is too tall...the lights will not fit above it!!!

Electrical: Electrician was out today installing Plugmold & finishing lights. Still have to finish in-cabinet lights and install Mocketts on either side of main sink.

Granite:: A myriad of issues, not the least of which was that pieces for each countertop (at seams) were different depths and had not been feathered! They looked so surprised when they went to install…both times!!! (Did they not learn from their mistakes on the window wall?? Grrrrrr) When asked if they had checked them at the yard they said no b/c they didn't have enough room to put them next to each other…(we have this new-fangled gadget called a "ruler"!) They re-did the epoxy in the seam on the window counter so it's black and much closer to the color of the counters (they had used gray...w/AB granite????)

Here are the pictures:

Full Kitchen from DR:

Full Kitchen from FR:

Cooktop Wall View From DR:

Cooktop Wall view from FR:

Prep Sink:

Kohler K-3345: Undertone™ five-sided undercounter kitchen sink

Kohler K-12177: Fairfax® single-control kitchen sink faucet (pullout)

Kohler K-1894-C: Soap/lotion dispenser

Kohler K-R8801-C: Duostrainer® sink strainer

(With separately purchased sink grid--"Not nearly as nice as the grids in my main sink that were included w/my Ticor sink!)

Cooktop & Hood:

PP962SMSS - GE Profile™ 36" Built-In CleanDesign Cooktop

Vent-A-Hood® SEPH18

Warming Drawer:

PTD915SMSS - GE Profile™ 30" Warming Drawer

MW Drawer:

KB-6025MS Sharp Microwave Drawer Oven

Cabinets & Floor Tile:

Emser Vecchia Corte™Glazed Porcelain

Comments (49)

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congrats! I think it looks just beautiful!

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

ooooohhh, purty! Cool shaped prep sink!!!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Very, very nice. Once again, it's nice to see something the forum folks all helped 'build' on paper come to be! It looks like the wonderful place to be and work that you wanted. Everything is arranged so nicely and makes so much sense.

• redroze
    15 years ago

Oh wow, wow, wow! It all looks great! I really like your reddish cabinets with the black granite and pale neutral tile floors. Thanks for sharing, I never get tired of seeing the results of everyone's hard work.

• bethv
    15 years ago

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing - I was wondering how you were coming along. Love that prep sink! Can you show a picture of your pet center?

• janefan
    15 years ago

I'm mostly a lurker, though getting braver about posting. I've read your many, many, many helpful posts in response to others (me included!) and it's so great to see your space finally!

Your colors are so warm and classic. While beautiful, what really strikes me is how well organized the kitchen is--you can just tell that it's extremely well-planned and will be highly functional!!

• holligator
    15 years ago

Wow--it looks fabulous! I'm so happy for you. I know this has been a long and trying process, but you must be feeling pretty thrilled by now every time you walk into that wonderful space. You definitely deserve it.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

So beautiful!!

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I dunno...I like kitchens with 14 pans of brownies in them better :)
    Semi-seriously, you will have many, many delicious meals in such a beautiful kitchen. Enjoy!

• lily1342
    15 years ago

So so soooo pretty!! Love the pantry door. I'd love to see the pet feeding station too!

• laxsupermom
    15 years ago

It's easier to deal with delays when the end result is soooo beautiful. I love your choices. Yours is the one with the cat door, right? My kitty would be jealous. What are you using for your backsplash?

• ci_lantro
    15 years ago

Very, very nice. The peninsulas are going to work out great--really a big plus counter space wise. And I love that floor! (And that huge bay window!!)

• ljsandler
    15 years ago

It's so beautiful that I can't wait until I see the rest! I would also love to see a pic of your sink/window wall.

Great job!

• rosie
    15 years ago

What a wonderful place to cook, Buehl! It's looking very, very inviting, and that work center and the peninsulas are going to be extremely functional. I hadn't picked up on the fact that you've chosen an electric cooktop. What was your thinking on that?

• mom2lilenj
    15 years ago

buehl, it looks fabulous! Have you been able to cook in it yet? It's really great to see it come to be after all your planning, no to mention the headachs, LOL!

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

Beuhl,

Really beautiful. All the hard work is certainly paying off. I think we all love to see pictures of everyone's progress. It gives those of us who have not yet started a better idea of what to expect.

I wanted to ask how you like the frig. You sent me a post about it some weeks ago when my Mom was in the hospital during her final illness & I never got a chance to respond. Thanks for mentioning it. Is it working well for you or are you not fully using the kitchen enough to know.

Keep the progress & pics coming!

Thanks!

• thepond2007
    15 years ago

Buehl - over the top!! Great kitchen, appreciate the pics.

• clax66
    15 years ago

I never ever tire of looking at kitchen photos, it inspires me! And yours is looking gorgeous so far! I love the rich colour of your cabinets! What backsplash are you considering?

• scootermom
    15 years ago

Just beautiful. The symmetry is lovely. The whole kitchen is restful and easy on the eye. I could eat up those cabinets!

Thanks for showing us, and don't worry about anybody here ever getting tired of anything you might have to show or tell!

Chris

• aussies
    15 years ago

It looks amazing! Very inspiring. BTW I can't imagine anybody thinking "oh no, not her again" ... far from it! I'm sure everyone's been wondering how it's going. It's great to see your pictures!

• Cook1
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update, what beautiful choices. You can never provide too much detail, or too many photos.

It looks like you are very close, all the angst will soon be forgotten as you enjoy cooking in the lovely space.

Here is to many happy meals in your new kitchen!

• gshop
    15 years ago

WOW! What a beautiful kitchen! I love, love, love your layout, cabinets, granite and flooring! I also love that your appliances are subtle and great use of drawers. You have done a wonderful job planning and have been through so much, but the progress is paying off in a spectacular kitchen. Thank you for all the pics and details! Can't wait to see it all finished. Good luck!

• deedee-2008
    15 years ago

Thanks for the update. I am one of many who love to see your posts....especially happy ones like this (uh, not about the granite, but how you are so close to the finish line). Keep 'em coming!

• macysmom
    15 years ago

Wow!!! You should be so proud of your new kitchen! You certainly have given me hope there is life after "The Pickle!!"
    Thanks and my best to you and your kitchen! :)
    Heather

• westsider40
    15 years ago

Buehl, It's so gorgeous, classic, comfy, spacious, functional- It seems just so easy! Easy to cook in. The layout just seems to be so natural-as if decisions fell from the sky.
    I'm sure I speak for all of us-We so appreciate all of your generous and valuable advice. We are glad and lucky to have you here. Beverly

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the nice compliments!

I am excited to have an almost-functioning kitchen. All the appliances work but I'm not allowed to start using the cabinets until we go through the walk-thru and sign off on the project...which could be a few weeks yet...depending on the remaining work (electrical, plumbing, a few other items)

Rhome410...I've been working in the kitchen, with a lot of running b/w the FR where my food and dishes are stored. It's been so nice. It is taking some getting used to using the prep sink b/c I'm so used to using the main sink...but once I change my "habits" I'll be fine (when I remember I'm glad I put in the sink!)

BethV & Lily1342...the Pet Center is simply a 27" cabinet turned around to face the Foyer doorway (we feed the dogs in the Foyer) w/ROTs and a top drawer. We plan to take out the top shelf/tray and put the dog food can on the bottom shelf. It'll pull out to be used & pushed back in when done. Treats, etc. will be on the shelf as well. The drawer will hold leashes, extra collars, heartworm medicines. etc. Since we can't use the cabinets yet we haven't set it up.

BlueKitObsessed....my kids would definitely agree with you about the brownies!

Sorry LaxSuperMom...no cats...just 2 dogs!

Rosie...we don't have gas in our area and my DH wasn't convinced that Induction had been around long enough to get the kinks out (especially when he heard about the humming with the Vikings). I tried to tell him that induction had been around for years if not decades...but no dice. I decided to let it go since I had other things to fight for. (But, I did make sure the electrical can handle a future induction cooktop....50amps.)

BDayKitchen...I'm sorry about your mother. While I haven't lost a parent, I can imagine how tough it would be. As to the refrigerator...to be honest, I'm disappointed in the amount of interior space and the configuration. It's going to be tough fitting all the milk (2 gallons + 2 half-gallons of organic + 2 half-gallons of Calorie Countdown) along with the other normal stuff (eggs, OJ, yogurt, etc.). While the shelves are adjustable, there doesn't seem to be enough vertical room to take full advantage of the adjustability. I've already told my DH that when our old refrigerator dies we will need to replace it....albeit with an inexpensive model!

Clax66...we haven't picked out a BS yet since we're out of remodel $$ for now. But, I will be thinking about it and planning until it's done! So, for now, the BS will be paint!

As requested, Window/Sink wall:

Sink in front of Bay Window:

View from DR:

View from Foyer:

• cambro5
    15 years ago

congratulations buehl! Enjoy it! It's beautiful! you're colors are a lot like mine - love it!

• rhome410
    15 years ago

I get ya, Buehl. It's been almost 5 months and I sometimes still forget and head for the main sink... I also love having a prep sink, and would never go back.

• gneegirl
    15 years ago

OK - glad you posted 'cause I was getting worried about you. Actually, the only reason I logged on tonight was to check to see if you posted. As you can see from all the posts here, you have not posted too much! I have one thing to say - WOW!! OK, others have said it too, but I still have to say, WOW!! It is really turning out to be a beautiful work of art.

I got a funny story for you - the reason I ended up doing my mini re-do was because of the exact same cooktop as yours!! That is the cooktop I purchased, brought home with a HUGE smile on my face, only to find out that it didn't fit my countertop cutout. I was so disappointed because I really loved that design. I had even worked a deal with K-Mart that was on a crusade to beat out any appliance store price. I ended up returning it without any intention of doing anything else at all - just keep kicking my old cooktop to make it work. Once I started on my TKO journey and was introduced to induction, I ended up going with the hybrid Viking cooktop. It is so funny seeing "my" cooktop in your kitchen! But I have to say, it sure does look good in there! I am so happy to see things are turning around for you - after all you've been through, you deserve that beautiful kitchen. I know many happy meals will cooked up in there.

Another thing - look for an email from me. I've got a couple of questions not kitchen related...

Best Wishes,

gneegirl

• sweeby
    15 years ago

That's wonderful Buehl! You've got a great layout - very functional. And your cabinets are just gorgeous! In fact, the whole design works beautifully together. I love your beautiful bay window, prep sink (great shape!) and pendant lights. And it's nice to see that the venting issue got worked out in a nice-looking way.

• rosie
    15 years ago

Your window bay and view are terrific.

I'd love to see more of your pet-feeding cabinet, which sounds terrific. We designed our foyer to be a multifunctional main family entry, but that function just never occurred to me. It should have because their door is on the porch right by ours and opens into a small hall off the foyer.

• dcclerk
    15 years ago

Gorgeous, Buehl. It is clearly very well-planned. I cannot tell you how jealous I am of that sink view. It is fantastic!

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone! And remember, my great layout is b/c of all the help I got here! When I think that I started out with this back in mid-August 2007...

With something like a 27" aisle b/w the island and refrigerator & utility cabinet! [Actually, the cooktop wall hasn't changed all that much...but the whole overall feel & functionality of has!]

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Several people have asked me about our "Pet Center." It's simply a 27" standard base (top drawer + 2 full-extension, soft close, Roll Out Trays/Shelves (ROTS)) turned 90o (i.e., opens in the back of the peninsula)

Here it is in pictures!

• ricklish
    15 years ago

Looks great! Can we see pics of your pantry and niche?

• User
    15 years ago

Looks wonderful and I have that very same lovely gray bone shaped mat! ~Actually I have 2 of them - one for each pooch.

• rosie
    15 years ago

That's so handy and sensible. I really like the cabinet.

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

Really slammin' kitchen Beuhl! It's a fabulous use of space for a long and narrow kitchen!!! And, looks traditional and contemporary at the same time! Nicely done! o.k....almost done....!

I love the prep sink, bay window -...and, don'tcha just love that microwave? I think that gets some of the most comments from people who visit our new kitchen!!!

Are you loving your warming drawer?

Graet work!

• igloochic
    15 years ago

I can't comment...I'm too jealous :oP

It's gorgeous :) And it appears the pets like it too heh heh

• lynninnewmexico
    15 years ago

What a wonderful, beautiful kitchen! Love the pet center. The cabs are gorgeous . . . as is the view to the yard! Is that a walk-in pantry in the corner there?

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for the compliments!

LOL Sheilaaus122! We also have two...one for each dog (Shea was camera shy!)

Ricklish...the pantry, right now, is empty. The insides will be DIY and we haven't done it yet...we're waiting for the contractors to be done & gone! It, will however, be similar to SharB's pantry...with the bead board walls & decorative corbels...but no chandelier!

Mindimoo...LOL on the MW! Most people ask me what it is! I really do like it..it cooks my broccoli perfectly! (With my Amana, I have to add about 20 seconds after the sensor cook says it's done). It's very easy to use. I had some reservations at first b/c we're a tall family, but it hasn't been a problem at all! It's been big enough & tall enough for all our needs (we don't drink coffee so no coffee travel mugs!). I also love my WD! It's convenient to every hot food appliance (cooktop, MW, ovens) and I use it quite a bit! So...the next "is a WD worth it" or "do you use your WD" thread will get my resounding YES!!!

IglooChic...just wait until your Omega cabinets are installed...you won't need to be jealous of anyone!

LynnInNewMexico...yes, it's a small walk-in/step-in corner pantry. It was either that or a 36" pantry cabinet...I think this will hold a lot more even if it did close up the wall b/w the FR & Kitchen (more than planned, too, due to KD's measuring error!)

Here is a link that might be useful: SharB's Pantry

• vicnsb
    15 years ago

buehl...its great to see your early post and the
    awesome turnout!

I love your pet area...it puts them outside the cooking area but
    not too far.

You must be so happy with everything coming to complete!

I hope to get close to that too someday! Thanks for sharing!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Gosh, how did I miss this??? It's gorgeous, buehl. Lucky Ruby has her own custom cabinet ;-D I hope the growth chart is for your kids, though. That would be one tall doggie!

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    15 years ago

Just had to look at your pretty kitchen again. It is beautiful! I am glad to read what you posted about the warming drawer. My range came with one and I used it for the first time this weekend. I will be using it a lot in the future. They are GREAT!

You and I seem to feel the same about our french door fridges. I am not liking mine as much as my freezer on the top and fridge on the bottom old fridge. Don't think I will ever get another french door fridge, but will have to keep this one until it dies--hopefully not anytime soon. I don't like the space configurations. The thing is a monster as well. They are huge.

Love the view from the window. So pretty! Congrats again on a beautiful kitchen. It looks like a great kitchen to work in.

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the compliments Cothele & Mustbnuts! It really feels so good to be in the kitchen! And we passed our final electrical inspection!

• neesie
    15 years ago

"Sleek" is the word that comes to mind, but it doesn't seem quite right to describe it that way because it also gives off a family-friendly vibe.

What do you plan to do with the recess behind your cooktop? I'm sure it is going to be something wonderful. And I remember sharb's pantry even though the link didn't work. Are you sure we can't talk you into a chandy????

Congrats on what you've done so far. I really like it!

• graciepunkin
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen buehl! You really did an amazing job. I actually have the picture of your window saved to my inspiration folder!

We plan to do a counter height bow window similar to yours. Is your window one unit or two casements flanking a separate center window? Were there any measuring issues encountered in getting the window to the perfect height in order to run your granite into the window area?

Thanks

• Buehl
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Neesie, I don't know yet what to do w/the niche. I wanted it (1) b/c there's so little room behind the cooktop that I thought it would be nice to have the extra space and (2) b/c I like the look...

We have no BS yet and I haven't decided how to handle the niche w/the BS...same material? mural? something completely different?

For now, I'm looking for a couple of inexpensive "decorative" elements. I have a timer and my ring holder there right now...

GracieMay...I'm glad the picture gave you inspiration! I also had a pic from here as my inspiration (Fothia's window).

Our bay window is actually 3 windows...the two side windows and the center window. As to measuring...you want the top of the counter to meet the bottom of the window sill...36" above the finished floor (we have 3cm granite countertops). That means that if you're replacing the floor you either need to wait until the floor is installed and then put in the window or, as we had to do, calculate how thick the final floor would be and measure from there.

You also need to be sure you can open the window (turn the crank) without scraping your knuckles...ours are fine.

In our case, the window people were a little off (window too high off floor) so our contractor made the sill a little thicker to accommodate it. It looks fine. Here's a pic of what it looks like right now...the sill hasn't been painted yet. (I think we're going to paint it white to match the trim & sills in the rest of the house.)