Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phelansmom

Small Kitchen..Can I mix cabinets finishes?

phelansmom
12 years ago

I have been reading the various posts on gardenweb about mixing finishes and wonder if I would be able to pull it off in my kitchen? I was thinking about natural cherry base cabinets and creamy white upper cabinets.

Our budget only allows for laminate and we are thinking about wilsonart oiled soapstone or one of the darker Wilsonart HD selection. The backsplash will probably be Anchor Tile's Crackle Subway Tile 3x6 (color unknown) and the floors are original matchstick oak plus we are stripping the trim and so far it looks to be Douglas Fir. Light comes in through a north window plus from the back door facing the south and a small window facing the west in a butlers pantry. The plan calls for for replacing the current back door with a pair of french doors that swing out, offering even more light..but that may be nixed because of budget.

We thought cherry for the base because it would compliment the Douglas Fir as the cabinets darken (or so other Gardenweb contributors say) but would be open to other ideas as well. Probable door style http://www.starmarkcabinetry.com/gallery/index.php?door_id=15&id=16. Thanks in advance.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen

Comments (20)

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Sounds just like what I'm planning! And a similar size kitchen. I was planning on natural cherry bases but Senator13's kitchen has me leaning towards rift cut oak on the bottom.
    For something similar to yours check out paulineinmn's kitchen. It's gorgeous.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

So you're thinking cherry for the base (your door) and a creamy white upper (my random choice)
    {{!gwi}}

People do this all the time, although it seems to work better with some layouts than other. Your layout looks like this could work well for you. (Love the critter on the 'fridge door, by the way!)

Countertop: If budget is a major consideration, would you rather have a pricey countertop like Wilsonart HD or French doors for the back door? I only mention this because Wilsonart, so I hear, is pricey enough that it approaches some of the available granites. There are some excellent laminates available in lower price ranges that are worth looking at. Maybe you could find a good looking, less expensive laminate AND afford a french door.

Countertop color: While you're looking at a dark color, I'm thinking thinking ligher, maybe a medium tone. Could you gather samples of your proposed cabinet colors, take them into your kitchen, and try out countertop color samples in place?

You are going to so love your new, improved kitchen!

• cabinetsbyalan
    12 years ago

I would stick to one or the other. Cherry will darken over time and probably will be close to the fir trim. I don't think your kitchen is big enough to do different finishes. I personally like the look of different finishes when an island is used.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I think the lighter uppers will help make your kitchen seem brighter and bigger. I say go for it!

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Agree with dianalo. I think white uppers will make the kitchen lighter. All dark cabinetry in a small kitchen could look too dark and heavy. Another small kitchen with 2 finishes is Bossanova's. White uppers and black lowers in a small coach house kitchen. And it looks great.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I agree with dianalo. If you like the look, light uppers can make your kitchen seem brighter and bigger. Personally, I would recommend choosing a lighter wall color (doesn't have to match the cabinets but could) and ceiling color to help the uppers disappear a little bit. I will admit that in general, I do not like mismatched cabinets, but I do think that in your case it will not be a problem just due to the size of your kitchen. I think having mismatched upper and lowers will be better for a small kitchen than making different sections different colors.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I've just begun to contemplate this option seriously for my own kitchen. I had originally planned on an island, and either wanted the counter to be different or the base cabinets - but not both. Now that I am leaning towards a U-shaped design with a peninsula, I have cracked open the possibility of doing all lowers in a wood tone (or black) and white on the uppers. Not only would it make the kitchen appear less top-heavy, as dianalo mentioned, I think it might be nice for ease of cleaning. It would also serve as a compromise point for my partner and I, because I want white cabinets and he wants wood.

The only thing I'm not sure of is the same thing you are not sure of, which is whether I can pull it off in a small kitchen.

I'm going to do some designs with it and see how it looks 'on paper' (or 3-D kitchen design software, as it were). If you are still at it when I get the time to play with it, I'll post some results for you to see. The goal this week is to get through the energy audit...

• steph2000
    12 years ago

I've been searching around here, the web and the FKB to dig up Bossanova's pics. I can't seem to find it. Can you point me in a direction?

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I think your choice of white uppers and dark lowers will work well in your space. I'm not sure that stark white or anything with a hint of red/pink will be a good choice especially with the red of the cherry. There are a myriad of choices for white so maybe do up a bunch of boards of different whites (maybe a white with a hint of sage?) on them and then choose.

Re counter vs french doors - (If I can offer an opinion) if it came between choosing one over the other I think I would go for the french doors now because of the amount of light that you will get, the punch and style that it would give your space, the openness and airiness that you will feel and enjoy and I think you will gain more "bang for your buck".
    You can plan in time if you want, to upgrade your counters, but in the meantime maybe put something less expensive down. Plan and build for being able to upgrade the counters in the future.

• steph2000
    12 years ago

Firstly, I want to ditto blfenton. We just put french sliding glass doors in the small dining area that adjoins our kitchen and it has added a ton of value. It really does open the space up and add so much light. Counters can be replaced down the road, but these kinds of structural changes can make all the difference - and is much more difficult to change later.

Lisa, I found Bossanova's coach house. For anyone who is interested, I put the link to her album below. I'm not sure what the etiquette is of posting pics from someone else's photobucket...

Here is a link that might be useful:

• xand83
    12 years ago

We have a small rectangular kitchen (about 70 sq. ft) and the uppers are off-white and the lowers are beech colored. I think it helps add a little visual interest while keeping it light & airy. Good luck!

• brickton
    12 years ago

If I ever questioned this look, paulineinmn's kitchen sealed the deal that I love it. Double heart. Teeny-bopper crush. Love.

• suzanne_sl
    12 years ago

Looking at paulineinmn's kitchen, I may have to take back my preference for a lighter countertop color. The dark countertops look great in that space.

• colorfast
    12 years ago

Phelans mom,

I really like your plans and hope you are able to pull off getting the French Doors. I think your idea of natural cherry lowers, and a (creamy?) white uppers would be great.

I know this is not in your plans for now and it sounds like the budget is maxxed: If you ever replace that window over your sink, make it taller. You will need a header so it can't go quite to the ceiling, but it can certainly go several inches to 1 foot higher than it is currently.

Where are you thinking of getting your cabinets?

• lisa0527
    12 years ago

Here's a link to BossaNova's kitchen. It's somewhere near the end of this discussion thread, which is full of great pictures of 2 finish kitchens. Enjoy

Here is a link that might be useful: Two finish cabinet thread

• phelansmom
    Original Author
    12 years ago

paulineinm's kitchen is amazing and is my inspiration picture..My husband looooves the apron front farmhouse sink..I explained because we have chosen laminate we may have to consider something else i.e. American Standard Country Sink.

I wonder what wall paint color Pauline chose!! I can't thank everyone enough for all your feedback. I love BossaNova's carriage house kitchen as well.

suzannesl also blfenton:We are hoping to keep our budget in reign to make sure the french doors are a possibility. I am glad you like the dark color laminate afterall.

Steph2000..Thanks for your feedback and I can't wait to follow your kitchen progress. If you have time please forward a mockup it would be helpful.

colorfast: We are chosing Starmark cabinetry. Great idea about the window..in the meantime in the newest Better Homes and Gardens magazine with a kitchen of similar style with a display ledge/shelf above the window to balance out the neighboring cabinets and molding.

• cindyinct
    12 years ago

What did you choose for the upper cabinet?

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

I love this look, phelansmom, so I'm biased when I say go for it. ;-)

I tried your link but it asks me for a password (windowslive - not a member that I know of). Can you embed the image in this thread for those of us who can't see your lay-out via the link? Thanks! Directions to do this can be found in the thread linked below (go to posting photos post).

Here is a link that might be useful: New To Kitchens? Posting Pics? Read Me!

• biochem101
    12 years ago

The answer is "Yes".

Below is the kitchen of another GWer, but I forget the name.
    Maybe someone will recognize it.
    Probably more and better photos around somewhere.

Saved it because it showed how nice the two-color look could be in a very small space.
    In this case painted black below, which normally wouldn't be my thing.
    But here it works well.

Not to mention I loved the granite in this!

:)

• rhome410
    12 years ago

Oh my goodness. If I'd seen Paulineinmn's kitchen before doing mine, I don't think I could've considered anything else! LOVE. IT.

It's a great look for a smaller kitchen, because the lighter uppers open the space. Phelansmom, can't wait to see yours!