Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
paulineinmn

Farmhouse kitchen progress - pics

paulineinmn
12 years ago

We're coming along in our kitchen remodel - it was a total gut of kitchen/adjoining room in a 1911 home. We tried to get back to the original parts as much as possible (saved the floors, removed fake ceiling) and designed cabinets that looked similar to those that were built at the time of the house.

There are still several things on the to-do list (painting walls/backsplash, staining trim/stairs, installing hood, installing upper cabinet latches, getting TV/couch in adjacent room, getting stools) but thought I'd post some recent photos anyway. Once we're done, I'll post some nice photos (my dad's!). Thanks, Lisa 0527, for mentioning it!

Comments (26)

• geargirly
    12 years ago

Very beautiful, I love the natural wood cabinets and the range especially!

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

so cute! love the white with stained cherry (?). What inspired you to mix up the cabinet finishes?

• avadoone
    12 years ago

I really like the way the stairs sort of melt into the kitchen.

• kmmh
    12 years ago

The stairs are beautiful!! (and everything else!)

• gsciencechick
    12 years ago

Love all the contrasts in the pic with the white uppers, creamy yellow BS, soapstone counters, and then the wood lowers.

It's all gorgeous!

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

WoW! Love it!

• sayde
    12 years ago

Love the wood, white and counters-- lovely combination of materials. Especially love how you integrated the new into the old and how you took the risk of the white with the wood -- it really works! Enjoy!

• oldhousegal
    12 years ago

Absoloootly BEAUTIFUL! What a great job you did staying true to the old house.

I love the woodwork mixed in with the white cabinets and soapstone. I bet you are relieved to have it this close.

I would love to hear details, color of white you chose, etc.

• eandhl
    12 years ago

Beautiful, every detail. Enjoy it.

• paulineinmn
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone! We're happy with the way it is turning out.

Oldhousegal, the color of the cabinets is BM Aura "Paper Mache." It is just enough off-white that the cabinets aren't stark white; but it also doesn't have too much of any particular "color" to it. I didn't want something that would be a pastel yellow or peach, just a slightly off-white color. It has sort of a vintagey look to it in real life.

Sabjimata - I saw a few photos of wood lowers/white uppers amidst all the different photos I collected, and they kind of jumped out at me as being perfect for our small space. It seemed to be a little more open (as opposed to all wood uppers and lowers) but still traditional and interesting. I think wood (or white, for that matter) from top to bottom in my little space might have been too monolithic...

The soapstone is just a regular old Green Mountain soapstone with minimal veining. Sink is Shaw fireclay, faucet is Perrin & Rowe, range is Bertazzoni, DW is GE Cafe, lights are Old Schoolhouse (sconce) and Roost Berlin pendant (overhead pendants). The wood breakfast bar is curly cherry that we happened to find in a warehouse near us. We like it because it's similar enough to the cherry cabinets so it blends in - but the ribbony appearance and figures in the wood also give it a unique look. Pulls are Restoration (Gilmore knob and pull) and Rejuvenation (the glass pulls on the "buffet").

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

I remember this kitchen because of the corner stairway and the pop of red on the door! It's nice to see more progress pictures. The base stair curvature is beautiful, and so is the grain on the bar. I do have a question. The knobs on the base cabinet doors in the close-up picture that you posted do not look even. I wasn't sure if my eyes were deceiving me, but I asked my seven year old daughter and she thinks the left one is slightly higher than the right.

• katsmah
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You did a wonderful job of keeping the kitchen to look age appropriate to the old house. I love the two toned cabinets and your light fixtures. Congrats on a job well done!

• schoolhouse_gw
    12 years ago

Adrienne, at first I thought the same thing then decided maybe the right door was ajar. Sure enough I just went back and scrolled down through the photos again and it's clear one door is slightly ajar.

• celineike
    12 years ago

I love it! It's beautiful. Such a calm and unpretentious feel. Well done!

• jessicaml
    12 years ago

Oh I love this! The great finishes, the blend of old and new, the great functionality, the details! This and Melissastar's kitchen are two that jumped out at me and made me wish I could live (and cook!) there! Congrats on the progress and look forward to seeing more. Thanks for sharing, Pauline!

• shelayne
    12 years ago

Beautiful! You must be soooo happy with how it is turning out! Congrats on such great progress!

• battin4th
    12 years ago

Wow. Really beatiful. Cabinet choices and light fixtures look great. Beadboard backsplash is perfect too. Crafstmanship looks outstanding as well. It's kitchens like yours I'm drawing my own inspiration from.

• lolauren
    12 years ago

This is gorgeous. It looks like your carpenter is doing a beautiful job........... I love the stained/white combo. The details all make the kitchen look like it could have been there a long time. Perfect.

What goes next to the fridge/under the cabinet? What will live in those skinny cabinets on the counter? :)

• francoise47
    12 years ago

I love everything about your kitchen -- your soapstone, your cabinets and paint colors and lighting fixtures. It is all so charming and authentic to your house. Congratulations on being almost done with an inspiring kitchen.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

LOVE! I'm such a fan of painted uppers paired with stained lowers and your kitchen is a fabulous version of that look. As oldhousegal and katsmah wrote, it's a perfect fit with your old home. The way you wrapped the stairs into the space is very clever. I look forward to seeing more pics. Your kitchen is going into my inspiration file. Thank you for sharing!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

My kind of kitchen! Looks great! Gorgeous materials. I love the nooks and crannies --- the kind of character that makes it feel old. The stair is lovely, and the column supporting the bar is too.

Enjoy

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Love it, love it, love it! Love the feel, warmth and charm.

• enduring
    12 years ago

This is great, It is so charming!

• sabjimata
    12 years ago

Just can't stop looking at this kitchen!

• mrshanson1
    12 years ago

sooo very pretty! Love the diamonds as door handles! Enjoy

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    12 years ago

What a gorgeous kitchen! Two elements that get my attention are 'farmhouse' and 'vintage,' and you've done a wonderful job on both. I'm planning on using similar corbels in my kitchen, so I'm pleased to see those. Love the landing and the beadboard--in fact, can't find anything I don't love!