Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ricsfan

My biggest kitchen regret - need help!

RICSFAN
11 years ago

First I have to say that I wish I had found GW while still in the planning process. Unfortunately I found it after the cabinets were ordered and delivered. Since our kitchen was a DIY I wanted to keep pretty much the same footprint for budget reasons with the exception of the dishwasher that was originally on the other side of the kitchen causing wet floors while loading the dishes since it had to be carried from the sink (crazy design). I had planned for an over the range microwave but once the cabinets were ordered I decided that I wanted a hood instead. So now I have a small countertop microwave that I HATE. Can cabinets be modified once granite is installed to fit a micro?

Comments (10)

• mpinto
    11 years ago

Have you considered modifying an upper cabinet? There are shelves made for uppers for microwaves.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Oh, heck yes.

I just made some CL, 18x42" cabs into the stacked cabinet look.

How big is your microwave? Look at that in relation to where you want it to be. Mine happens to be 23", which fit nicely into a 24" base cabinet. mpinto is right, though. it would also fit nicely into my 24" upper.... I might have to consider retrofitting that since I've discovered I hate bending down.... (thank you!)

If you don't have the talent, tools, skill or (insanity) nerve, get someone to come cut out the space, trim it and help you plan for an electrician.

It should not be expensive, unless you've gone and put in those worthless 12" base cabinets. Then you're going to have to cut something out spanning two cabinets,
    with a new face frame top. Well, in my head, still not that hard. You'll just have to have some reinforcement for the lower sections.

I'm stopping now. I'm fearless due to lack of knowledge, but it works out for me so far.

The answer is yes.

• User
    11 years ago

There are even MW's that are designed to be hung from an upper, which I prefer to one on a lower shelf. But, I'm taller than average and hate to bend down. If you're shorter than average, a MW base cabinet can work well for you and for kids. You just have to have a 30" base cabinet that you're willing to sacrifice. Remember it needs to breath properly unless it's a build in with a trim kit, which need at least a 27"W base cabinet. Or you can do a 24"W base for a MW drawer cabinet to be built in. Those can fit into a 24" cabinet if modified.

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

Mine's a free-standing microwave that is 23" wide and about 20" deep. You don't necessarily need a drawer in a 24" base cabinet.

I like mine, but now I wish it were higher! :)

• rosie
    11 years ago

Depending, I might instead want to set into an upper level of a base cabinet, with drawers or a shorter door below it.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Also, you may wish to consider a drawer microwave. It would go in the upper level of a base cabinet, and you can put a drawer below it. They come in 24" or 30" width (although they are the same size inside).

• RICSFAN
    Original Author
    11 years ago

This is why I love this forum! Thank you! I'm loving the sharp drawer now just have to convince my DH and Dad (he'll be the one to do it). I really wouldn�t mind not having a micro since I personally don't use it much but hubby insists.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Great, glad you like the idea. As I found out doing my layout, there really is no perfect place for a conventional MW except on the counter, which I did not want. I put a drawer MW in (Thanks to Buehl), and love it.

• Jody
    11 years ago

While we didn't get new cabinets, we did get a new granite countertop, backsplash and big old copper farm sink :)

And I did NOT want to put up my over the range microwave. So, I actually bought a smaller countertop microwave and put it in the adjacent dining room. Found a small bookcase at an antique store to set it on and it works great for us.

I probably use it twice a day and it's not an inconvenience to walk a few steps into the dining room. I would have hated to cover up my BS with a microwave.

Hope you find a solution that works for you ;)

jody

• likewhatyoudo
    11 years ago

This subject was brought up awhile back and has lots of different suggestions you might find useful in the link below. If you are handy like CE you can modify your cabinets as suggested.

If it was me I would call the cabinet manufacturer and try to get a exchange or ask if they can modify the one you have to accommodate a microwave. The worse they could tell you is no! You might be able to order a cabinet and return one.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0421251224905.html