Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
farmhousegirl_gw

Can I see your non-built in microwaves?

farmhousegirl
11 years ago

I don't think I want a built in microwave this time. Our current one is built into the island and it's broken twice. The push button will not fling the door open. We replaced in two years ago and now the new one is doing it again. Right now I'm using a knife to pry the darn thing open each time I need to use it. If it wasn't built in, I could just stick any old micro in that hole. I'm not sure if it will look sloppy to do this in my next kitchen...

Anyone just stick it in the pantry? I would love to see your non-built in micros or hear why we should build it in. Thanks everyone!

Comments (39)

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

Here's mine. Building it in would have taken away needed base storage or would have been too high on the upper. I did paint the outside to match, but it sits on the counter in a corner. In my next house I probably will not build it in either, but it will sit on a shelf or in a pantry.

• cotehele
    11 years ago

My hesitation to build in a MW is just the issues you have had-too hard to repair or replace. Ours is on an adjustable shelf. Replacing the MW was easy because the space could be enlarged for the new MW. This is the old MW here:

Here is a link that might be useful: a couple more pictures

• bostonpam
    11 years ago

Ours is on a lower shelf next to the range. It's over 25 years old and won't die! We use the microwave so much we have a 2nd on the counter (in the sandwich area). Once the kids leave for college we will go down to one next to the range.

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

I didn't want a built-in to avoid the particular situation the OP is in. I'm already on my second MW on this shelf, as something I tried to warm up one day burst into flames....it still worked but was scorched inside and we weren't sure if there wasn't other damage. It cost less than $150 to replace, which is less than most trim kits.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    11 years ago

This is an 'in progress' pic--the box and cabinet above are now painted green. If I can't find the same size again, the whole box pulls out, and we can go back having the MW on the counter. The old (hulking) MW was about the size of the box.

I lined the inside of the door with scrap aluminum, so it can be used for landing space for hot pans from the stove.

• AnnaA
    11 years ago

We're testing out how well we like the MW under the cab before we invest in a more expensive machine and create the built in look. To my surprise, I'm most enjoying the added feature of storing cutting boards on the side and potholders on top as it feels like too much space is eaten up for a MW.

But, I also don't mind / actually like having spaces in the kitchen that are not all perfect and fitted, so this 'look' is working for me right now.

{{!gwi}}

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

I don't know why my previous pic link didn't work. I could see it in the preview. How's this one?

• cooksnsews
    11 years ago

I give up! It looked fine in the preview!

• westiegirl
    11 years ago

I also didn't want the expense or potential headaches of a built in microwave. We put ours under the counter of the island. This side of the island faces away from the living areas, and you really only see it if you are standing at the sink, doing dishes.

We were concerned about it sitting so low, but it has worked out well. We use it for basic reheating and defrosting, so the buttons I use are very familiar and I am not usually searching for something on the display. My husband is 6'3", and I am 5'11" and it is still fine with us. I know this is not true for everyone, but this is one area that I didn't feel like fighting for the "best" solution (microwave drawer). It was a compromise I was willing to make and as a bonus, 6 year old DD now helps to prepare her own snacks!

• petra66_gw
    11 years ago

Mine is standing in a tall cabinet, above the oven. To the left and right we installed narrow pieces of cover panel to get a nice finish. Across the top a piece of trim that came with the cabinets.

Oven is by Ikea (as are the cabinets), a matching microwave is available, but the old one still functions well. When it dies I'll probably change it out for another non-built in, because that is the cheap and easy route.

• arlosmom
    11 years ago

Ours is on a shelf next to the fridge:

Our toaster oven in in the pantry:

• clinresga
    11 years ago

We think we have the best of both worlds, by using a microwave concealed in a cabinet with a garage door style hinge:

Microwave in cabinet, open

Microwave in cabinet, closed

Allows easy access when door is opened, while on rare occasions where we're entertaining etc we can close door and it's invisible.

And it's far superior to any built in MW--a terrible idea, they are overpriced, and near impossible to replace when they inevitably fail. And they contain the same "guts" as any $200 Sharp or Panasonic off the shelf unit, as these two companies are the only manufacturers worldwide.

• houseful
    11 years ago

I too did not do a built-in mainly because of the expense. Here you can see it next to frig on a shelf.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Farmhouse girl-glad you asked this question. Love Clinresga's idea, but all of you are wise not spending big bucks on a microwave like I did.

Won't do it next time either.

• farmhousegirl
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow! Thank you all so much for the great ideas! I'm loving your kitchens too. : )

I'm pretty convinced I'll buy a $99 micro and forget the whole built in thing. Thanks all!!!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I have the same microwave cabinet I see in a few pics above. I bought it because my off-the-shelf MW fit perfectly in it. It's got about 3/4" of breathing room on each side, and some above it.

I just dug the cabinets out of my peninsula and installed the cabinet over here. I really like it now. I put in an 18" drawer base I got at the reuse center, too. Much better than the old particle board 2-drawer, reach-in I despised from the day it was put in to support the peninsula.

Here you go:

I do see some shelf versions I really like here. Always looking for new and better ideas! Thanks for the thread.

• Bunny
    11 years ago

$99 Sharp from Costco. Not a prep or work area, aside from making coffee and using the MW.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

Christine, you're making progress. Lookin good.

• brianadarnell
    11 years ago

We don't use the microwave frequently, so I hated the concept of giving up a lot of space for it. When we do use it, the doors slide back on a track so they aren't hanging out in the aisle.

• mommyatlaw
    11 years ago

clinresga - Totally using your idea for the microwave! I looked at every MW at every price point. Couldn't accept the aesthetics. This is a great solution!

• eleena
    11 years ago

Isn't it interesting that countertop MWs just wouldn't "die", even if you are "dying" to get a new one, but the built-in ones are usually the first to go of all your appliances?

The built-in MW that came with the house was old and ugly but we couldn't remove it till the oven underneath it broke. So, no built-in MWs for me, thank you very much. My 10 year-old MW is still "live and kicking". When we remodel, I am going to place it on a roll-out shelf below the counter (I think).

• zelmar
    11 years ago

Ours is on an upper shelf with adjustable shelves above it.

Our first mw lasted 15+ years, the next one only lasted 1 year. We got our 3rd one about a year before the remodel and I was concerned about longevity. My other concern was new technology. A lot of new ways of cooking have come along since we moved into this house. I wanted to give our kitchen a chance to accommodate a different type of small oven.

We put ours in a deep upper cabinet with adjustable shelves above. It's an important tool in our kitchen and I wanted it easily accessible. I tend to use the timer a lot.

Our first mw was on a fairly low table but it wasn't as low as an undercounter mw. It was fine at first (for the first 5 years), but we eventually ended up hating it every time we used it. Stooping to put things in and out and to see if the ceiling or back needed to be cleaned got old. As our eyes aged we would have to bend to see the buttons. Dh isn't into cushy but even he eventually started complaining about the lowness of the mw.

My children are young adults now but when young kids visit I'm glad I don't have to worry about them pushing mw buttons.

One thing I would do differently is the location of the power outlet. It's right behind the mw but when plugged in, the mw couldn't be pushed as far back on the shelf as I wanted because of the large stiff plug. DH ended up buying a different style of plug (a flatter one) and was able to swap it out.

{{!gwi}}

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I had my fabulous electrician put a plug in my MW cabinet.

It's at the top of the cabinet in the back. That's kind of dead space above the MW. I could put trays or hot pads on top of the MW, without the plug interfering.

I also had him leave a lot of wire behind an adjacent cabinet (the Lazy Susan) so when I eventually have my dream counter top put in, I have leeway.

First I gotta find the counter top I like. Been looking for 10 years. When I find it? You'll be the 1st to know.

Thanks, red_lover!

• CEFreeman
    11 years ago

I had my fabulous electrician put a plug in my MW cabinet.

It's at the top of the cabinet in the back. That's kind of dead space above the MW. I could put trays or hot pads on top of the MW, without the plug interfering.

I also had him leave a lot of wire behind an adjacent cabinet (the Lazy Susan) so when I eventually have my dream counter top put in, I have leeway.

First I gotta find the counter top I like. Been looking for 10 years. When I find it? You'll be the 1st to know.

BTW. After an interesting conversation here regarding microwave drawers, do they qualify as these unloved built-ins? Or do they fall into another category? Or aren't they old enough technology that we don't know yet?

Thanks, red_lover!

• clinresga
    11 years ago

@mommyatlaw: thanks. We love the solution. The one worry I had when we first did this was durability of the hinges. They have now survived almost four years of constant use by two teenagers as well as us, and are still in good alignment with no signs of problems. Sadly over the four years I've also forgotten the specifics of the maker and model of the hinges but hopefully your cabinet guy can figure that out. If not, contact me and I'll hunt around for the details.

• ucgal
    11 years ago

Ours is similar to several others here. In a cubby. We thought about doing a door to cover it - but it's in daily use if for nothing more than reheating a cup of coffee in the afternoon.

• prospect711
    11 years ago

Ours is in a cabinet which can be closed to hide it, but is easy (for us tall folk anyhow) to reach.

• hlove
    11 years ago

One more :)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    11 years ago

I don't believe in building in something you don't have to. I also don't believe in spending $1,000 on a Viking micorwave when ive never spent more than $100 and always been happy with my popcorn and leftovers ...

Both time I did a kitchen reno, some jerky greedy KD tried to get me to spend an exorbitant sum for a built in micro.

I like them at eye level. The last time I had it above my double ovens, with a cabinet door that rose up and slid back like a garage door.

This time it is also at eye level, on a shelf inside a cabinet with french doors. I added a pull out shelf below if I need to set something down

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• lcm_maine
    11 years ago

We have a pinch point between refrigerator and range, which would have been enormously expensive to redesign. So we found a microwave that would fit kitty-corner below the cabinet, and there is room below for pot holders, etc.

• Colleen Fuller
    8 years ago

How is the microwave attached?

• sjhockeyfan325
    8 years ago

Colleen, are you asking about the one in the picture just above your post? If so, it looks like a GE under-cabinet microwave, and it is meant to be attached to the bottom of the upper cabinet.

• artemis_ma
    8 years ago

Mine, bought a year ago, is sitting out on the counter, facing, almost-alas, the dining area as the cord is very short. The previous one worked for well over 25 years, but had gotten yellowed and stained, so I moved on. When I move into the house I'm building this year, this new one is coming with me, and will remain on a counter. No point for me in built-ins. I want to be able to replace the item if I ever need to, without having to consider replacement size. It's not ugly, and it looks like it belongs in a working kitchen. And I'll have a lot more electrical outlets in my future home!

• texasgal47
    8 years ago

Mine looks very much like cooksnsews. It sits in a designated cubby above the coffee bar. The cost of the built-in kits are outrageous. The full size Panasonic that's in use now was purchased for $115 on craigslist. Once this one dies, I'm purchasing another used one. Most current residential microwaves are designed to fail in less than three years.

• nmh92
    8 years ago

I'm facing the same dilemma. I don't like the look of the microwave sitting on the counter and I don't like losing counter space to it. I didn't know GE made microwaves that are meant to be mounted under the cabinets. This seems like a good plan since the built-ins are very expensive. Thanks for the tips.

• Debbi Branka
    8 years ago

It's a bad picture, but the only one I have. Ours is in the corner next to the fridge. You don't see it from the kitchen entry or from the island or table. It's not a prep corner, so I don't really lose any space. (It's also not all cluttered back there anymore, like it is in this picture!)

• Katrina Tate
    8 years ago

This is a before photo. We are not doing a built it. It will likely sit on the peninsula or on a stand beside the pantry.

• huruta
    8 years ago

It's white, old and small. You can't see it because it's tucked behind the cabinet above the oven in this pic. I'm glad I don't have to look at it and I'm glad it's there. We use it ~1 week to heat water, typically.

Our Updated 1950s Kitchen with French Inspiration · More Info