Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
berardmr_gw

I'd love to redecorate this kitchen...

berardmr
11 years ago

Imagine the possibilities. This house is for sale in our area. Sigh.

Comments (14)

• sochi
    11 years ago

Oh wow, what a space. That would be fun!

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Would love to have all that space! I could have a lot of fun with a renovated kitchen there!!!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

What would you do with it? To it?

• palimpsest
    11 years ago

It has a lot of potential.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Well, if the rules are no structural changes and redecorating only, I would start by painting the black ceiling parts a much lighter color,even if just on the oven wall end so it looks less like a box lid about to fall on my head. If possible, I would just take them out altogether, since I don't see that they add anything to the kitchen as it stands, nor do i see a situation that could make them successful (duplicate it on the other half of the ceiling?no, just doubles the problem; Make them a jazzy color or white? No, still looks silly on that half alone; etc).

It is also too much 4x4 tile for me, without a real reason for it to stay. With the square tile on the floor placed in the same pattern it just looks like someone ran out of ideas instead of having a plan (I am sure the original owners thought this was a great way to tie it all together.) Although...Maybe if the cabs were painted a cute cottage color all the tile could work as is. A nice big farm table instead of the tiny island could complete the look. Might actually be kind of cozy.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

First thing I'd do is get roller skates so I could get from the sink to the stove in a reasonable amount of time....who knows how far away the fridge is!

;)

• pricklypearcactus
    11 years ago

I agree that it has a lot of potential. Have you seen the Design Around This #20 Post Real Estate Remodels? Several contributors have been having fun putting together theoretical (fun) designs for real estate listings. I would love to see your ideas if you'd be interested in sharing!

• Susied3
    11 years ago

That layout looks almost identical to the one we are changing. I wonder if the Refrigerator is next to the ovens. That is where mine were. Even my cooktop was in the peninsula.

Does it have a MLS listing?

Would love to see how the kitchen relates to the rest of the house.

• bmorepanic
    11 years ago

I saw pictures earlier of a similar house listed with white or cream on those beams and cabinets. It didn't turn out the way I would have thought.

I would think about painting the entire ceiling after seeing it.

Here is a link that might be useful: This listing - look at virtual tour for rest of house.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

I was also thinking this would be perfect for the Real Estate REmodels DAT. It isn't too late to participate...

• berardmr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

What's that?

• berardmr
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'd probably do a lovely white beadborad ceiling. Sand the beams and lighten them up just a tad to a rich, soft walnut. I'd put in beautiful cream cabinets to tie in with the ceiling color. A large, welcoming island table, stained to "speak" to the beams. And I'm just getting started....

• User
    11 years ago

It would be heresy to touch that ceiling. Heresy.

The layout needs tweaking, but the basic style is already there.

I'd rarely ever recommend this, but deepen up the counters on the back wall and put the cooktop in front of that window with a glass island vent above it. Then put a prep sink on the island. No more roller skates needed.

Put some mahogany slab doors on the boxes there, add white terrazo tile floors and white quartz counters with sheet glass backsplash and call it done.

• User
    11 years ago

Eased edge slab doors & White Zeus Extreme Silestone

ThinkGlass Bamboo Pattern backsplash

White Terrazzo floor

Gaetano Sciolari vintage chandelier above the island
    {{!gwi}}

Haifele Modern Brass cabinet pulls & Kohler Karbon in Brass