Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Design Around This #21: Beckground for Bold Patterned Tile

cawaps
11 years ago

**DO NOT POST DESIGNS ON THIS THREAD**

This thread is to announce the next Design Around This topic. We'll post another thread in about a week for the fishished designs.

Not familiar with the Design Around This threads? Or you've read them but never created a design of your own? Read up on the abouts and how-tos here: " About the Design Around This threads

The theme of our next "Design Around This" thread will be bold patterned tile. Specifically, I want this exercise to focus on:

1. Tiles that have at least two distinct colors on each tile
  2. Tile that gets its pattern from color
  3. Using multiple tiles to create an overall pattern, rather than using single patterned tiles as accent tiles. That doesn't mean you can't combine patterned and plain tile: See this recent thread for an example: Only One Clown

Additional guidelines

Neutrals count as colors, but the pattern should still be "bold" and not subtle

Things that DON'T fit the parameters of this exercise (but could be their own DAT sometime in the future) include:

o Not mosaics where there is overall patten but each individual tile is a single color.

o Not tile murals, where each tile is different but when combined they create an overall picture.

o Not tiles that create bold patterns through the shape of the tile (like arabesque or star and cross) or through a relief pattern (sometimes you see a colored pattern in relief, those are okay for this exercise)

Here are some examples of tiles that are appropriate for this exercise:

Angela Adams Graphics from Ann Sacks

{{gwi:1929994}}
Coloured Earth from Ann Sacks

{{gwi:1929995}}
Iznik tile from Ann Sacks

{{gwi:1929996}}
Sakura from Ann Sacks

{{gwi:1929997}}
Talavera tile from Tierra y Fuego

Stu Neyland cement tile from Villa Lagoon Tile

Cuban Heritage Collection from Villa Lagoon Tile

Cuerda Seca by Fireclay Tile

{{gwi:1930003}}

And just for fun, here are some links on tile design history

http://www.designboom.com/history/tiles_history.html

http://www.nps.gov/hps/tps/briefs/brief40.htm

Please post additional pic and sources for patterned tile. Mission Tile West has cool tile, but I wasn�t able to grab images.

Comments (22)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Sorry for the typo in the subject. I use two different keyboard layouts, so I am prone to wacky typos, but the A isn't close to the E on either one so on this I have no excuse.

I wanted to post a link to another recent thread. The top part of the discussion features mostly solid color tiles in interesting shapes, but if you scroll down there are many beautiful photoshopped pics of patterned tile.
    More examples of patterned tile

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Bump

• chiefy
    11 years ago

I would love for someone to tackle this with wood stained cabinets instead of white/painted. I'm looking for inspiration!

• kitchendetective
    11 years ago

So, this would qualify?

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

While it isn't exactly what I was thinking of, I think that the way the tile is applied qualifies. The designs of the tiles don't connect to each other in an interconnected pattern, but here they are used en masse and the overall effect is similar. So if I'm the arbter, I say okay.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Just bumpin', really....
    {{gwi:1930005}}

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I'm thinkin I'd (gum chomp, gum chomp) just use it as a fee-chuh, and then go really nuteral. Let the one speciahl tile be the stah. (gum chomp).

• oldbat2be
    11 years ago

I'm looking forward to this thread, like the title too! (Prefer the Australian accent to Marcolo's).

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

So many tiles, so little time!

I'm really looking forward to seeing what everyone comes up with as well.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Marcolo: I suppose you are "speaking" non-rhotic Boston (Quincy?), but I am "hearing" non-rhotic Long Island!

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Actually, I was wrong on my last comment. I think that on LI, the special tile would be closer to the "staw."

BTW, thank you for you kind comments the other day. I only found out about them belatedly through the magic of Google Cache.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

No prob. BTW I use Firefox and never see the option of opening a cached page anymore. Don't know where it went.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

If you hover your mouse over an entry from a Google search, you will see two small, grayed out arrows/chevrons on the right-hand side. If you then mouse over those chevrons, a preview of the page it found appears on the right of the page. At the top of the preview, there is the linked URL and also a link to the cached version.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Oh, that's where it went. I just checked it out, and it satisfied my quota for entitled infantile shrieking this week.

I really wanna participate in this challenge but man is life not cooperating.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bump

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I just checked it out, and it satisfied my quota for entitled infantile shrieking this week.

Man, I cannot believe you waited until Friday to fill that quota. Mine is usually gone by Sunday afternoon, Mon. AM at the latest!

(Really just bumping here...)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I've finished one design and am working on another. Hopefully other folks also have irons in the fire.

• purplepansies
    11 years ago

I've got about 5 or 6 in the works. . . I start one, then get stuck and can't make a decision and start another. Am definitely in a creative slump. . . I'm determined to push through it, though! :)

• sochi
    11 years ago

bump

• ae2ga
    11 years ago

Where dos one go to see the designs when you marvelous geniuses have finished? Colored patterned tile is definitely in my future (Only One Clown), so I'd love to see what everyone comes up with in their designs.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well, the plan is to post a separate thread for the finished designs. Usually we give people a week to work up designs, so you can expect the "Post designs here" thread on Tuesday.

• sochi
    11 years ago

bump