Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
oldbat2be

Backsplash - Drawn to Contrast (new photoshopped pics)

oldbat2be
11 years ago

My photoshop skills have improved and I'm churning out one potential backsplash idea after another.

I find myself very much drawn to backsplashes which contrast with the cabinets, countertop and ceiling; definitely way too much white going on. Interesting, because I originally thought I'd go with a white/grey/off white tile.

Here are a few favorites so far. Am I on the right track or will I tire of the contrast/be happier with a simpler tile in the long run?

Thanks!!

Star and cross (color blend):

Star and cross, same color (blah):

Warm yellow square tile with grey grout (doesn't really do anything for me)

Maybe not the right colors but fun:

Warm blend:

From Drop Box

Really like the contrast/different colors:

Wrong color, Ogee in turquoise:

Ogee, in Malt color (a little bland)

My inspiration for the Star and Cross blend, was the following, which I LOVE:

I put together tiles which worked well together and with the permanent elements in my kitchen, but when I combined them, I end up with more contrast in particular tiles than I would like and most definitely not the desired effect:

Comments (44)

• berardmr
    11 years ago

I love the one that you listed as: Really like the contrast/different colors:
    It has a nice pattern but is neutral at the same time.

I have been stuck for weeks in a backsplash dilemma. Would you please share the name of that tile and where I can find it? It just may work!!

• chiefy
    11 years ago

Only you can answer if you're going to tire of contrast, since you're the one that's living with it! I've found this forum is very partial to "classic white subways" or slight variations, but I LOVE these options that you're putting together. They add color and interest, but they're not over the top - well except that turquoise color which you said was the wrong color anyway ;)

I think you're taking the right steps by mocking them up, and you should definitely live with a couple full-scale tiles to really cement the decision.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sure - it's the malt blend from fireclay.

http://www.fireclaytile.com/products/design/category/debris

• willtv
    11 years ago

Number 6.

• deedles
    11 years ago

I like the pic of the actual star and cross tile with the greens... it's beautiful!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Willtv, I think you called out the same tile blend as berardmr.

Thanks chiefy76, glad I'm not entirely off track.

Here it is vertically, too. I'm wondering why the color variation looks ok with the 2x8s and not with the star and cross? Maybe because of the way my computer is changing colors as I try to color the tiles?

• User
    11 years ago

I like the star and cross with the greens in it too. But, what's missing is more color in the rest of the kitchen as well. If the chairs were a pale yellow or pale green (maybe slipcovers?) I think that would give the kitchen a lot of life. Right now, your light fixture is carrying that burden. And while it is a GREAT fixture and totally works, it needs a supporting cast so it doesn't shoulder the entire burden of color by itself. Have you thought about using some of it's amber tones in a mix along with the subtle greens of the star and cross?

Something with onyx in it could work really well with the your light. This is maybe too busy, but it gives you an idea of how the colors are.

{{!gwi}}

Honey onyx and marble?

Jerusalem gold with the green onyx dots.
    {{!gwi}}

With the red onyx dots, which I REALLY like for your kitchen.

All from glasstilestore.

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Love the idea of onyx

• deedles
    11 years ago

I've got two samples...well, 3 of the onyx if you want to see a chunk, lol. Love that Jerusalem stuff, too...

• User
    11 years ago

I love your island and chandelier! Had to pull my eyes away to your BS. I like your inspiration star and cross tile and the red onyx dots that GreenDesigns posted.

• cawaps
    11 years ago

The one I liked the best was the one you labeled "Maybe not the right colors but fun"--and, ironically, it is the color that make me like it. I think the brown and cream look awesome with the cabinets (some of my color preference may be monitor or lighting, so take that with a grain of salt).

• deedles
    11 years ago

I agree something that pulls that light fixture in would be really nice.

• sixtyohno
    11 years ago

Maybe not the right colors but fun: Is my favorite too, but In different colors. I do the onyx idea.

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

My favorite is your inspiration tile. That's the color blend from your towels. Do you know the source? My second favorite is "maybe not the right colors but fun". I like the shape and how the white in it complements your cabinet color.

• dilly_ny
    11 years ago

"maybe not the right colors but fun" is my vote. The turquoise is just so unexpected and a showstopper.

• Karen.1288
    11 years ago

I like the warm blend.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

You guys are wonderful, thanks so much for the feedback and help!

First off, I always forget to include this, but the light is only red when on. I need to take a new picture during the day.

Greendesigns, onyx is an interesting idea, here is a poor example:

Both DH and I said of my Jerusalem attempt - bowling pins! Obviously, my photoshopping skills are lacking...

remodelfla, that chinasink website is interesting, have you ever orded from them? Ditto alibaba. Here's the first one you posted:

Deedles, wouldn't it be great if we could figure out how to share all our samples?

Hollysprings suggested "creamy yellow field tile with a marbled red/amber glass deco liner and use a gray tending towards blue grout."

marti8a - thanks! The inspiration tile looks like this, not bad (but of course entirely different MFR than the fireclay I've been collecting). Found it on Lascauxtile.net. It could possibly be from fireclay but I don't know.

natebear - Very close to the towel colors, less the white. Good eye!

cawaps - I sort of like the brown too.

dilly_ny - I like it too but don't know if I can live with the pattern.

Karen.1288 - The warm blend has the browns I like.

--

I checked old posts and found a suggestion from williamsem (bless you!!) for this undulating tile from architerra, gorgeous, no? Scale is probably off. Sure to be $$$$ (Architerra damask was around $120/SF for the damask when I was looking at it).

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

Oldbat2be- yesterday I got sucked into choosing your backsplash. I wish you would go with concrete/encaustic tiles. I am in love with them and would be truly jealous and happy if you used them. I used Paint to make some really bad mockups which I hope will be of use to you. At the least they will make you feel better about your photoshop skills!

From 2012-7-22
    From 2012-7-22
    From 2012-7-22
    From 2012-7-22
    From 2012-7-22

As an aside - what hood insert did you use? And was the liner custom made for your hood?

Love how the light changes from silver to red! Never knew that existed.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

onedogedie - those are terrific, I was so pleased to see them. Thank you for bringing them up--I really like the encaustic tiles as well - ordered some samples months ago from villalagoontile. The problem is, it's all about the colors in the finished tile.

I think I'll post to see if anyone can suggest any sources locally. Can you remember the source of the tiles you posted?

Our hood insert is a Prestige, DH built a frame for it, and we ordered panels for the outside, and then also had a custom stainless steel liner made, for the surrounding area/sump.

In the meantime, I finally rememembered to take a picture during the day. Here's a shot of a floral tile with lights on and off... Not optimal colors, but I just love the contrast the busy backsplash provides! And I think it's fine, with things out on the countertop (which I will always have).

• onedogedie
    11 years ago

I found those tiles on Houzz. The designer seems to be KJ Patterson (which I finally confirmed via google see link below). I have looked at lots of encaustic tiles on the web and dithered over colors and design, but I fell in love with all her tiles just the way they are.

Here's a link to a page with info about her, toward the bottom: http://www.tileheritage.org/THF-ENews12-08.html

Thanks for the info about your hood. Helpful!

Here is a link that might be useful: Tiles on Houzz

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I LOVE these tiles! Wow wow wow. I am writing off for samples tomorrow. I found more of her tiles on Mission Tile West.

Like the red, nice and crisp:

Like this pattern but might prefer horizontally:

And LOVE this one:

• natebear zone 10B
    11 years ago

"and LOVE this one"! "and LOVE this one"! I love it too!

• chiefy
    11 years ago

I can't wait to see what you pick!
    I love that red one, but I'm not sure it goes with your light when lit.

Keep us posted.

• Circus Peanut
    11 years ago

Woot! I am no backsplash maven, but to me this is HANDS DOWN the best of all you've shown:

Do you have a direct link to the source?

• Ann Scheley
    11 years ago

I agree with circuspeanut. That bs just seems to fit your decor, colors, ambience and everything. It has a lot of movement yet it is not screaming LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME! I'm not sure if my screen is correct but it almost reads chocolate brown. It's very very pretty.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks all, the encouragement means a lot! Sometimes when I post and don't hear back I start wondering whether everyone's minding their manners, remembering the old "If you can't say something nice, then don't say anything..."

I'm attaching a link to her tiles on Mission Tile West, neat website. I reached out to them this morning but haven't heard anything back yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mission Tile West / kj patterson

• remodelfla
    11 years ago

Thought of you when I saw this online today:

• slonewby
    11 years ago

From the photoshopped pics, I actually like the one you listed as "maybe not the right color but fun" I love the contrast and I don't think I'd tire of it as easily as the other options. Only you can tell for sure which would work for you but I like the way those colors/pattern play off the chairs/island and cabinets...plus, it's a design that isn't seen much (could be a good or bad thing?)...kinda retro with a new twist.

I also like the "and I LOVE this one" option though it looks kind of "space age" to me...

You have some very bold choices on the table. Kudos to you for trying something different!

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I am with circuspeanut--that one is spectacular.

The "but fun" BS has a numbing infinite repetition feeling.

• hobokenkitchen
    11 years ago

I'm with circuspeanut too - love that last one!

I also like the Ogee in malt - doesn't look bland to me!

I find some of the others just too loud/ busy for my taste, but that last one you love really works.

• biochem101
    11 years ago

I actually like #4 best in your original set, the white with dark green. Second, I like the first one in that set. The retro mixed tile colors look really gives your kitchen a "WOW" factor.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks remodelfla! I count 7 distinct colors ... and think it could work, for the right person, with the right colors. The way I photoshopped it, the colors are not as random as they could be.

I have samples of the brown and red AJ Patterson tiles on the way. They are fairly $$$ - so in order to see samples one has to pay for them. Definitely a sign of how tired I am with the search that I don't think twice about the concept. Apparently, the reddish tile has texture; part of the pattern is raised. (And with this line, one can select the desired colors, so if red doesn't work....).

This is a picture of the 'LOVE this one' pattern, in two diferent colors. The tile on the right is the same shown online and which I photoshopped, from their website.

slonewby - I'm listening to you, love how your kitchen has turned out, hopefully, 'space-agey' feel is just due to poor quality of picture and distance away from the pattern. I've found many tiles with pattern look much better closer up. Closer up, say from about 10 feet, I think it's really pretty:

{{!gwi}}

DH thinks it's too busy but will go with it if I am confident.

Thanks marcolo! Assuredly, it will be one of the (if not the #1) clown(s), but I like how it ties everything together.

Agreed, I couldn't live with the 'but fun' backsplash.

My problem is that unless I can see the final result, I cannot imagine what a tile would look like. Hence many of my experiments are simply to answer the question of 'how would this look?' I'll have to photoshop (now that I'm better) some of my original choices, to see how far off I was... I've definitely learned so much.

hobokenkitchen - how go the nights? Hopefully you and DH are getting some sleep:) Glad you liked that one too. Hard to tell about many of the tiles I photoshopped; many probably don't show the contrast they would in real life (Heath and Fireclay).

Biochem - there was something I liked about that first tile, thanks. Definitely not going for a retro look, though!

• vidyaram
    11 years ago

I agree with circus peanut's choice. BTW, I love your island chairs. Would you mind sharing the source?

• bons
    11 years ago

I wondering what your countertop is - marble, or maybe Quartz??

Thanks,
    Bonnie

• enright5
    11 years ago

Yes, Yes! I NEED to know you island chair source- I LOVE them! Beautiful kitchen!!

• enright5
    11 years ago

Yes, Yes! I NEED to know you island chair source- I LOVE them! Beautiful kitchen!!

• p.ball2
    11 years ago

I also like the one circuspeanut posted. But did you show it with the light on? I am amazed how much the vibe of the room changes with the light on and light off. A very cool light I have never seen that before.

• chris11895
    11 years ago

Another vote for the last one you LOVE. I think it ties everything together and although neutral in color, adds some warmth too.

• Shades_of_idaho
    11 years ago

"And LOVE this one:"

When your picture of this came up my brain went AAAAAAHHHHHHH That is really perfect. Made the room look calm yet interesting to me.

• wolfgang80
    11 years ago

I prefer others to the last one that you posted. It seems a bit busy and almost tropical/Hawaiian/Southeast Asian looking.
    I like the stars and crosses combo but would like to see the first combo you showed with a little less contrast between the two colours.
    And I also like the red and white tiles you posted on 7/23.

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi all, thanks for the kind words and feedback.

Island chairs are from Carrington Court (NC), with COM:

http://www.carringtoncourtdirect.com/detail.cfm?ProductID=798

CT is Cambria Torquay

I really liked the idea of the light (particularly when I was in my grey kitchen phase), but it's been a pain to try to pick out a backsplash which coordinates with both tones.

thanks shades_of_idaho! I have been playing with contrast and every now and then find something which just works. Great description :)

wolfgang80 - I'm listening! I've found since I posted these pictures that the element I'm missing from the star and cross pattern, is the grout color. A thick grout in another color can make a huge difference.

• vidyaram
    11 years ago

Thanks for sharing the source! Did you happen to use the Stanford mushroom leather or is it a suede? Thanks

• Susied3
    11 years ago

oldbat2be, have you received your samples from Mission Tile yet? I am so excited to see pictures of them. I love the one circuspeanut enlarged, but also love the rest of those shown from Mission Tile.

Did you ever say where your light came from? I think it may be too modern for my kitchen, but that thing is so stunning I may just go from making my kitchen rustic/tuscan/french country to Modern just to hang that light!

• oldbat2be
    Original Author
    11 years ago

vidyaram - I picked out an ultrasuede fabric. Great for keeping clean. The stools are amazinging comfortable, we are quite pleased. They are 26" high which is a great height for the 36" CT.

susied3 - Yes to the tile samples! Two, brown/cream, and red/white. I'm linking to my other thread with the brown tile mocked up.

The light is from LBL lighting, the circle monorail with the Lava I twin monorail head.

Here is a link that might be useful: kj patterson tiles