Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
2littlefishies

Any Good Way to avoid BLIND corners here???

2LittleFishies
11 years ago

My "hope" was to have an ez reach corner for the upper cabs and a pie shape super susan for lower corner..

However, KD tells me there isn't a good way to do it in our plan. Says he doesn't think I'll be happy with the asymmetry trying to do those would result in. Also for the lowers I'd lose drawer space I suppose.

I'm bummed out b/c I know a blind corner isn't really optimal... and what's with the D shaped lazy susans? Will it serve any use at all? Do they all have poles?

If this is the best option, I guess I can live with it but wanted to get your thoughts in case we're missing an alternate option! Thanks so much!

2LittleFishies

Comments (33)

• desertsteph
    11 years ago

what's on the other side of the wall of the corner? can the lower one open into that room to be used? I've had that in 2 homes and loved it.

• motherof3sons
    11 years ago

I had a kitchen with the pie shape lazy susan. It was set on a plywood base without poles. Personally, I did not care for it. The opening was small and I disliked getting down on the floor for the lower section.

Our new kitchen will have a blind corner mechanism that pulls out. Rev-a-shelf makes one model; don't know the manufacturer our cabinetmaker chose. Our upper cabinets will be identical to the photo you posted. I only hope it works. To me it is better than the upper lazy susan that was on a pole. I disliked it much more than the lower.

• Gracie
    11 years ago

I let my blind corners go for exactly that reason. I wanted the side cabinets to be as functional as possible and could not work out the symmetry in my tight corner. I wanted to open a drawer instead of pulling out a contraption.

Without a Susan of some sort, it created a dilemma of where to put my small appliances, but I put them in the deep cabinets over the refrigerator. I haven't missed the corner storage at all and my kitchen is less than half the size of yours. I have a lot of stuff too because I bake. If you've found a home for everything you own, I wouldn't worry about one corner.

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

I have a central column in my susan, and it's so deep inside, I never notice it. The shelves of the susan come out beyond the corner for easy access when it turns. And, because the front part of the shelves are near the door when it isn't turned, it acts like any other shelf in the cabinet so I can reach a bunch of stuff without having to turn it. And as you can see by all the stuff in there, I certainly couldn't live without it.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

It looks like you also have room for a corner pull out. But I guess I am not understanding how you lose symmetry with a Susan? It's not like you would have the doors open all the time. And if it is upper-to-lower symmetry he is talking about, ask him to design the doors so they look good together. Really, I am not trying to be difficult but don't see the problem and admit my hackles are up because somebody is telling you that you won't be happy with what you want....

• willtv
    11 years ago

I'm with "claybabe".
    I don't understand the symmetry argument.
    I think I have the setup you're talking about and it works nicely.
    Here's a shot or 2.

I don't have a picture of it, but the lower cab contains a pie cut Super Susan as previously described.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

desertsteph- I'm not sure what you mean?

motherof3- thanks for your thoughts! Hope you enjoy what you are getting this time : )

mayflowers- yes, I'm thinking I'll have enough space but had hoped to have the corner as I imagined it. thanks!

annie- Yes, that's what I wanted. The issue isn't the pole but now I don't have a corner cab like that at all. It will just be one regular door with a D shaped susan. Then I assume you can't even get to the back corner with the susan in the way?

claybabe- By symmetry, I think this is the issue... For the upper corner, I would need to have the two corner doors connected to each other like my inspiration photo at the top. Because of that, I'd lose the symmetry with the cabs on either side of my kitchen window.
    And with the lowers, I would lose the drawer symmetry under the cooktop. Actually, in that spot I can see that I'd rather have those cooktop drawers. They run into the corner so if I used the set on the right for a 2 door corner mechanism that would get messed up.

Are these possible options for the cabinet to the left of the trash bin instead of the d shaped susan?

Here is a D shaped susan so I assume that is what he is seeing there. His version may look nicer but same idea... I wonder if there's a pole. I'll ask but he just went on vacation.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

I don't think your options are clear to me.

A D-shaped susan normally goes into an angled corner cab, which is not what you have or want. He may be talking about some of the things you show above.

I think kaismom has that irregular-shaped blob and really likes it, but it is more expensive.

On the sink run, you could increase the size of the trash and recycle bin stack and actually get more symmetry around the stack. That should enable a corner susan. However, I don't see similar jimmy room on the range run, so maybe he's right.

Not having a super susan isn't the end of the world. Just don't get the angled ones with the small doors unless you plan to store small items in there, like pantry goods.

• willtv
    11 years ago

OK. Now I see what you mean about the symmetry.
    The units you pictured above would seem to be your best option although I'm not sure the D-shaped susan would work.
    Several people on this forum have those sort of kidney shaped pull outs and are quite pleased with them.
    Hopefully they'll chime in.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

I'm also not getting the symmetry problem. Moreover, I wouldn't let a strict desire for symmetry override function.

• claybabe
    11 years ago

Thanks for sorting that out :)

So if you use a one door mechanism on the sink wall for the lower cab, and a pullout mechanism (I like the irregular blob!) you would be fine with the base, correct? And I guess I don't see why you couldn't make the bifold-type door for the upper match the R side of the sink. When closed the doors should be able to look however you want them.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

claybabe- Yeh, now that you say that I'm not getting the problem with the bifold type door either? Anyone? Wish I had a better picture of just that corner straight on.

Yes, the base I think will be fine and I'll just find the right mechanism for that cabinet. I actually would prefer something that comes out automatically when the door is opened without having to open door and pull it out manually.
    Like pictures number 2 and 3 (assuming they are attached to door??)

• Annie Deighnaugh
    11 years ago

On another thread, someone refreshed this fabulous kitchen. I'd never seen a susan idea like this one, but perhaps it will help with the symmetry issue, which I'm still not seeing either....

Sorry can't get the pic to paste, but go to the thread and scroll down...you'll find it. It has a susan thing on the left and the extra space on the right is used for tall storage...

Here is a link that might be useful: Margieb2's kitchen

• claybabe
    11 years ago

I had this mechanism in my old house (it is attached to the door) and it was fine, very useful. Of course your door would be on the sink wall. My issue was that there wasn't enough room between sink and corner to put a full susan in. I think this mechanism can fit a 12" door with modification, a 14" door without any problem and mine was 13". I think.

The upper is obviously different than yours and symmetry wasn't an option/issue for me, but this door opened to fully reveal the contents of the corner and I think it could be made any way you like:

I am pretty sure I took lots of pictures with doors open and closed after completing the kitchen, but I am currently too lazy to dig through my photobucket to find them. Maybe my gumption will return soon.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Annie- I believe that is a 2 door opening (2 doors attached). Mine will just be one door.

The Symmetry issue is this: (from above)

By symmetry, I think this is the issue... For the upper corner, I would need to have the two corner doors connected to each other like my inspiration photo at the top. Because of that, I'd lose the symmetry with the cabs on either side of my kitchen window.
    And with the lowers, I would lose the drawer symmetry under the cooktop. Actually, in that spot I can see that I'd rather have those cooktop drawers. They run into the corner so if I used the set on the right for a 2 door corner mechanism that would get messed up.

• willtv
    11 years ago

Unless I'm missing something, which is entirely possible, I think that the upper corner cabs in the first picture I posted above solves your upper cab symmetry problem.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Actually I think the KD has a point, because the two corner doors are not the same size. You might be able to use the ez-reach anyway by shrinking the upper to the left of your sink so it matches the one on the right of your sink, and that would actually increase the sink wall symmetry. However, it would give you a pretty small upper cab next to the sink.

• User
    11 years ago

Blind corners are not nearly as bad when you have a larger double cabinet attached, the space in back is much easier to access. You have such a large kitchen that it may be a waist of your energy to worry too much over such a small bit of it, jmo. One thing that you may want to think about is if you really want double doors in the small upper cabinet to the right of the window. If you reduce the width of both it and the upper to the left of the sink so that they do not crowd the window so much, make them each have single doors and then make the corner on the left like willtv's you may have fairly symmetrical look.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

I obsess over every inch of storage, so I think you are right to try to sort this out. If you can have any susan there, you can have a super susan.

1. Regarding the base corner.
    I agree that I would want a pie cut, not a D-shape in that corner. I would want the extra counter length along the range wall.

Yes, you may lose a drawer stack on the range wall. You could sub a pull-out for lids or trays or some other narrow storage device. I think you will have a lot of drawer storage elsewhere (assuming some on the island).

Would the lack of symmetry bother me? Not as much as knowing there was a blind corner there!

The regular susan pole is NOT a nuisance if you plan to store small items like those shown by Annie. It IS a problem in many cases if you plan to store large objects like small appliances and large mixing bowls. If the center of rotation of the susan is right at the front point of the pie cut, then the pole will not be much of a problem even with large items. If it is back a few inches from the front edge, as it usually is in D-shaped susans, it WILL be in the way for large item placement,.

2. The wall cabinets
    I think Wilty's first two pics of his EZ reach are a perfect soution for you. There is NO reason that that I can see that the doors have to be the same size. I think you can use glass in the far left one, making the size match the cab on the other side of the range, then make the middle door whatever size it needs to be, and ditto for the door on the far right of the cabinet.

I am certain you sort this out.

Wish I had know about EZ reach when I did my wall cabs.

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Fishes, if I understand your dimensions correctly, you may not be able to fit the Lemans pullout. How wide is the opening for that corner door? Frame or frameless cabinets?

The Lemans provides great access, but, like all corner solutions, there is actually less total storage than just walling off the corner. This is true even with the largest version, and the others just lose more space.

If you decide to go Lemans, there is a cabinet maker on eBay selling them for $400. I got mine there, but not installed yet. Search for Arena Corner.

You might be best served by just putting another stack of drawers there, or a deep drawer with vertical partitions that you can stick frying pans in (handle up), or something similar.

Here is a link that might be useful:

• marcolo
    11 years ago

The regular susan pole is NOT a nuisance if you plan to store small items like those shown by Annie. It IS a problem in many cases if you plan to store large objects like small appliances and large mixing bowls

No, not on a susan with an attached door. The pole is at the corner of the door anyway. I store very large pots in mine.

I think Little's issue now is that she won't have a corner cabinet, period.

• bellsmom
    11 years ago

The OP's picture of the D-shape susan with a pole illustrates the problem of poles for storing large items in a D-shape susan where the pole is inches back from the front edge.

No loss of storage if small items are clustered around (Well, maybe one less bottle of catsup on each shelf!).

But if large items are stored, there is little room between the pole and the front, and nothing larger than the radius of the susan can fit at all.

• aries61
    11 years ago

I've read somewhere that sometimes you will get more usable space if you use a regular cabinet instead of a blind cabinet. What you end up doing is have nothing in the corner between the cabinets on either side of the blank corner.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Well, D-shaped susans also have the problem of the smaller door, but 2LF isn't getting an angled cab anyway. I think the KD just confused the terminology.

• ILoveRed
    11 years ago

I have the corners you have posted, but I do not have the hinged doors. I have two doors on the upper and two doors on the lower.

It looks to me like you must consider two things:

1) are you willing to give up the bank of lower drawers to the right of your range to (or make them smaller) to accommodate the corner you want?

2) are you willing to lose the symmetry between the upper and the lower that your schematic illustrates, if you do change the bank of drawers.

When I was working on my kitchen, I did not want a blind corner and the lack of symmetry between the upper and lower did not bother me and still doesn't.

It looks like your kitchen is large enough to sacrifice that bank of drawers to accommodate that corner if that is what you want.

I like my corner a lot.

Let me know if you want more pics.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

marcolo- What do you think the KD had in mind? Not really a D shape susan?
    I have to have him send me a pic.

red_lover-- thanks for breaking it down. lol
    1) I don't think I want to give up my drawers. I really like the way those look. SO, I'll just figure out the best type of contraption for the corner.

As far as the uppers, I'm a bit confused and I don't know why! I would love to see an option 2 so I can compare both. I think as a GWer I exhaust the KD, etc with my quest for knowledge and a full understanding of my options and what I'm getting! lol However, it is all A LOT of money and I'm trying not to worry about if I'm bothering anyone!

I think willtv's upper corner might work? Maybe it's the knob placement that will be an issue???

• claybabe
    11 years ago

I think today is my day to be more dense than usual: Can you not keep your drawer stack and do an attached pullout with that door on the sink run?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

claybabe-- I would think so. That's what I'm thinking : )

• User
    11 years ago

Very quick, sloppy rendering. The cabinet on the left will be attached to the perpendicular cabinet as willtv's is. Also- I meant waste not waist in last post, it kills me when I reread and find stupid errors like that and cannot fix them.
    {{!gwi}}

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

OK, cab guy was here today. He said we can do the upper corner very similar to willtv's! Thanks!

I'm going to leave the lowers as is. BTW, he DID mean a D shaped susan as it was written. He told me how he does it:

He'd put the susan in the blind spot with the straight part of the D facing the sink. He said, it works well because you can put items in the blind spot and can also use the regular cabinet there to some extent. He said with some of the fancy mechanisms you lose space to allow it to move and swing, etc.
    Anyway, I may just leave as is as I don't want to spend a small fortune for something else.

Of any of the options I did like this one. He said they are $500-$600 but can that be right?

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I see the Rev-A-Shelf ones are much less than that.

• 2LittleFishies
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The Rev A Shelf has Half Moon Susan like above with Pivot OR Pivot & Slide

Anyone know the difference?

• attofarad
    11 years ago

Fishes -- Even though the shape in your picture is "D", I think that that one is usually called half moon. The one in the photo seems to be the Rev A Shelf version,which pivots and slides. It comes in a couple of sizes, which take a minimum of either 15" or 18" opening. The larger one is a bit under $300 online.

Here is a link that might be useful: R.A.S. half moon pivot/slide wood shelves