Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
margieb2_gw

Okay, so I think I'm done...Thank you ! (PICS)

margieb2
15 years ago

So I think we're pretty much done except for the bar stools and a couple of other small items. The process went much more quickly than we anticipated. Demo began First week in March and the kitchen was complete by the end of May. The contractor was a dream and there were no major problems or surprises (other than the electrical safety hazards that were uncovered during demolition!)

I owe the resourceful, knowlegeable, creative, and talented members of this forum my heartfelt thanks for sharing your wealth of knowledge and inspirational kitchens.

In particular, thank you to Zolablue, rococogurl, sharb, jamesk, allison0704, bella_4, charlie 123, momto4kids deanna1949, and artteacher, AMONG MANY OTHERS...for sage advice and kitchens that helped shape my kitchen vision. We had a number of setbacks, one big one due to DH's job loss. But I have to say, everything's worked out for the best.

We kept the original footprint of the room but swapped a peninsula for the island. We were a bit apprehensive aobut this as the trend is to do the revers but this setup works really well for us, creates better zones and a better flow.

SO here's a before:

And After:

Comments (81)

• lamir
    15 years ago

Your kitchen is magnificent. I'm almost done with mine, but I must know where you got that knife insert in the drawer!!! Was it custom made, or is it available to buy and where????? Good luck and happy cooking in your beautiful new kitchen!

• kpekitchen
    15 years ago

It's gorgeous!! I LOVE how your backsplash gives it all a kick and just perfectly matches your countertop.

• janran
    15 years ago

Wow...what a beautiful and functional kitchen! I love all the storage features.

• afr66
    15 years ago

That is one of the most complete transformations I've seen. Just so beautiful - yet welcoming. Wonderful job.

• stei7141
    15 years ago

Margieb2--LOVE your new kitchen!! I'm sure it's an inspiration to many of us who are still in the planning stage. I also love your Fremarc table. Was it a custom table? I don't see anything like it on their website.

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

margieb2, yours is one of my favorite kitchens! The before and after is such a metamorphosis! It's bookmarked and I refer back to it often.

• zeebee
    15 years ago

What a great kitchen. When I first opened this thread I kept scrolling back and forth between the first two pictures - 'before' and 'after' - because I couldn't BELIEVE what a change you made. I love the out-of-the-box thinking that went into your peninsula, and your cabinet maker is terrific.

• wallycat
    15 years ago

Beautiful!!!

May I ask where you got the faucet? I tried googling and can't find a source.
    Gorgeous. I so admire many of you here who have vision and patience to achieve such beauty!

• cotehele
    15 years ago

Wow, my first thought, too. George and Jane have left the building! LOL The arch and posts are stunning. Enjoy, you deserve it.

• catamount90
    15 years ago

Add me to the list of people who would like to know which granite(s) you picked. And what kind of backsplash that is.

Thanks!

• debo_2006
    15 years ago

Magazine perfect!!! One of the most beautiful kitchens I've seen. Love the clean lines, textures, colors and the flow. Great use of space and certainly not over done. You have alot of space there - lucky girl!!

Simply gorgeous.

• susanilz5
    15 years ago

My favorite kitchen EVER! Can we just pick it up and move it to my house? It's so beautiful, yet very warm and inviting. Congratulations!

• reneeharris1
    15 years ago

Absolutely STUNNING! This kitchen is one of the most dramatic changes I've seen here on GW. From a cold and sterile kitchen to incredibly warm and welcoming!! Fabulous job!!

• bbtondo
    15 years ago

Your kitchen has got to be one of the most beautiful I have seen! You have amazing taste. I can't believe that it's the same house. I know this is something you and your family will be enjoying for many years to come. Congratulations!
    Barb

• jnjmom
    15 years ago

I'm going to add my praise to the long list here - super fabulous!!! I love it!!

I know you have a list of questions to answer, but could you also add the dimensions of your kitchen? ;o)

• cooperbailey
    15 years ago

Sitting in awe! I thought the Jetsons kitchen was your new one, and I thought ok well I am not into modern much but lets be fair and take a good look and then I realized... DUH! I am truly amazed.

btw I am glad to have a pic of your knife drawer so I can show DH instead of pantomiming what I want so he can make it for me.

• curlyjbs117
    15 years ago

Margie - JUST GORGEOUS! I'd love to know the dimensions particulary the "working area" .
    Thanks,
    Connie

• margieb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yeesh, thanks you guys! I'm going to try to answer all of your questions before I go back to work. I apologize in advance if I miss any of them.

First of all, yes, hats off to my cabinet maker. In addition to being a superior craftsman and a perfectionist, he's also a remarkable nice person and we thorougly enjoyed working with him. The idea for the curved peninsula came from a wonderful kitchen designere who works for a cabinet shop who I did not end up using (very long story).

Okay, the granite is Colonial Gold and Absoluste Black.

Wall paint color is a Pratt and Lambert color called carbonite. Trim is a Sherwin Williams color called Divine White.

Ceilings are 8' high and my contractor completed the archway in about 1 day.

My tile I found at our local tile store but another garden webber tracked down this website:
    http://www.fastfloors.com/catalog/productline.asp?productlineid=19615&productid=138276&REF=ZLS1336889

A link to the faucet is below.

The table is the Veranda Table by Fremarc.

Floors are 4" wide quarter sawn white oak.

Knife drawer was constructed by my cabinter maker.

Cindyinsocal, we too were concerned that the backsplash would look too contemporary but it's now one of my favorite things about the kitchen. It sparkles!

Lmalm53, thank you for your comments about my photos...it's a hobby but I'm still working on lighting. I have a hard timne with the flash. I may need to resort to the manual.

Kitchen is about 15' wide and 26' from the colums to the cooktop wall.

I'll include a scan of the layout but it's been tweaked since this version.

Marthavila, we entertain a ton, I love to cook, and I'm completely disorganized, and I'm a packrat (much to DH's chagrin), so I needed everyhting to have a place. AS much as I love the aeshtetics of the kitchen, I'm completely blown away by how well it functions. Everything is exactly where it should be:

a href="http://s205.photobucket.com/albums/bb66/margieberg/Kitchen%20Details/?action=view¤t=silverwaredrawer-1.jpg"; target="_blank">

Here is a link that might be useful: MGS faucet

• cat_mom
    15 years ago

I'm glad my backsplash was an inspiration for you! How cool is this forum?

As different in style as your kitchen is from mine, I really do love yours, too! It's very serene and pretty and I think your backsplash looks absolutely perfect, not too contemporary in the least. Just right!

BTW, what are the dimensions of your kitchen?

• nymommy
    15 years ago

Beautiful transformation! And that pool - looks like paradise!

• wallycat
    15 years ago

Thank you again.
    I didn't realize you ordered the faucet from Italy.
    I'm trying to find something that looks like this one (another similar one was posted but it was $700+ and I'm trying to make sure DH doesn't lose it) but less expensive.
    Probably not this one.
    ONE GORGEOUS KITCHEN!

• emilynewhome
    15 years ago

What a visual feast for the eyes! Beautiful kitchen, thank you for sharing!

• mindimoo
    15 years ago

OMG you need to get that kitchen published!!! FABULOUS!!! From Miami Vice (80's reference :-)) to TIMELESS!!! Really, wonderful job from the finishes, the backsplash to die for, the coordination of surfaces together, the colors and the storage and workability, really a bullseye!!!

• margieb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

:) Catmom, this forum is positively addictive! Kitchen is about 15' wide by 26' long including the eating area.

Wallycat, I actually purchased the faucet locally but it was a bit pricey (I rationalized the price based on the fact that we don't have a prep sink and therefore only had to spend $ on 1 faucet rather than 2). Rhole makes one that looks similar but i think it's also pricey. Check out the pics in Mamadadapaige's kitchen (which happens to be completely stunning!)

Miame vice! LOL, yes, I can see that!

Marthavila, here's one I forgot to include. A hidden plug-in center:

Thanks again for all of your positive feedback. It means a lot, especially from this crowd!!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Beautiful!! The table and chairs are just PERFECT with your kitchen, and that backsplash still makes me go gaga everytime I see it. The layout, the warm colours, everything just looks incredible. Congratulations!!!

• redroze
    15 years ago

One question - what diameter is your kitchen table? We're getting a circular wood table too and I don't like the look of leafs (it looks like yours doesn't have a leaf). I wanted something that very comfortably seats 4 and can accomodate up to 6, and your size looks just right! Thanks in advance!

• Happyladi
    15 years ago

I love your new kitchen. It is so warm and inviting. I bet you are really loving it. Does your island move or is it permament?

Some people might have liked the old kitchen, it looks very modern but it was cold and not very inviting. Can you tell us how old the old kitchen was?

• busybme
    15 years ago

Margie, I just wanted to say that yours was the first kitchen that I printed off as my inspiration a week or so ago. I love it! My space is quite similar (8' ceilings and all) and it has really allowed me to visualize what all can be done.

Thank you so much for sharing the process on GW! And congratulations!!

• craig00
    15 years ago

Fantastic! You kitchen makes me smile.

• gshop
    15 years ago

WOW, your new kitchen looks so warm and inviting! I LOVE all of the details, I just keep going over and over your pics to pick out new things that I love. I am especially intrigued with your corner cabinet. Did your cabinet guy design it, I've never seen anything like it and think it is so functional! Also the backsplash is to die for, just beautiful! Congratulations!

• flatcoat2004
    15 years ago

Holy toledo ! what a transformation ! spectacular !

I'm not usually drawn to light-coloured countertops, but your granite works so beautifully with everything else that you might have made a convert :-)

(I'm keeping my soapstone though ....)

• monicakm_gw
    15 years ago

That's one of the...no, it's THE most incredible transformations I've ever seen! If there's such thing as the perfect kitchen, I think you nailed it :) Enjoy!
    Monica

• Sheeisback_GW
    15 years ago

I thought the first picture was the transformation until i got down to number 2. WOW! beautiful!!!!! i'm about speechless!

• malhgold
    15 years ago

Can't really add much more than what others have already said, but what a warm, inviting, comfortable kitchen you have. All the elements really work well together. Congratulations on a job well done! Enjoy!!

• mlraff53
    15 years ago

Holy Cow! I was looking at the first pic thinking it was your "after" and thought ok nice but not my style. Then I scroll a little and almost fainted! That is the best transformation I've seen on this forum. I love love love it! Your backsplash and the table/chairs are my favorites!
    You did a wonderful job! Even the fireplace stands out now.
    Where did you get the backplate for the knobs?

• margieb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ngng, my cabinet maker came up with the tray divider idea for the corner cabinet. He usually pairs it with a lazy susan but I insited on a "super susan" based on what I had read on this forum, because I was planning on putting heavy pots and pans in there. He now loves the super susan as well.

Redroze, the table is 60" round. I specifically did not want a leaf. It fits 6 pretty easily.

Craig, my kitchen makes me smile too! Thanks.

Flatcoat, have I mentioned I LOVE your backsplash? I'm looking forward to more pictures. It looks like it's coming along beautifully.

Busybme, good luck. Let me know if you need any more info. I was really bummed aobut my 8' ceilings after seeing all the high ceilings on this forum but now I hardly notice.

Happyladi, the island does not move. There's an electrical outlet in it. The Jetson's kitchen was done around '93.

Mlraff, I really like the backsplash, table and chairs too. The round knobs came with that small backplate attached. I bought 2 amerock backplates for the message center but the big swirly one pictured above is a totally different brand whose name escapes me at the moment.

Thanks again everyone. I'm going to have to start posting on the kitchens in action thread now.

-Margie

• levelyn42
    15 years ago

Beautiful kitchen, I'm not able to have a big remodel, but you give me ideas for my small redo. I hadn't seen this granite before but something I would like, and your back splash is perfect. Wish I could get rid of my 1950's cabinets but they have to stay, so going to re-stain them. Like your knobs and pulls. I've also been looking for table and chairs, and really like yours. You have done a great job, it does look like everything has its place.
    Evelyn

• sue_ct
    15 years ago

Don't know how I missed your pics before, but OMG, what a FABULOUS turnout! You must be ecstatic! Enjoy it!

Sue

• razenette
    15 years ago

You went from icy,icy cold to WARM & BEAUTIFUL!! Great JOB! Razenette

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Margie: What else can I say or add to the amazing comments to your kitchen other than well done, beautiful, and well thought out! I would love to ask you 2 questions if I may:

Q#1: I love the opening with the arch and posts to your family room and wondered how wide is the actual opening? I would love to do something like that for ours but I'm not sure our opening is wide enough.

Q#2: Love the white french doors and hardware. How wide is the doorway and is the hardware bronze or black?

Would so appreciate hearing from you - we're in the design stage near the finish - Thanks so much for sharing and enjoy!

• kulagal
    15 years ago

Margie: What else can I say or add to the amazing comments to your kitchen other than well done, beautiful, and well thought out! I would love to ask you 2 questions if I may:

Q#1: I love the opening with the arch and posts to your family room and wondered how wide is the actual opening? I would love to do something like that for ours but I'm not sure our opening is wide enough.

Q#2: Love the white french doors and hardware. How wide is the doorway and is the hardware bronze or black?

Would so appreciate hearing from you - we're in the design stage near the finish - Thanks so much for sharing and enjoy!

• salmon_slayer
    15 years ago

Margie

How about a plug for your cabinet maker? We are in the process of designing a new kitchen and the similarities of what you designed and what we want is remarkable. Even the ppliances are similar. If your cabinet person is in the San Francisco or Monterey Ca, we would be interested in talking to them. Steve

• margieb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, we've been away for ahwile with no computer access...Salmon slayer, we're on the East Coast so I don't think our cabinet maker would be very convenient, although he is excellent! My stepsons heading out to San Fran this weekend, any good restaurant recommendations? Is Slanted Door as good as they say?

Kulagal, the hardware on the french doors is Emtek Tuscany series in Medium Bronze. The opening between kitchen and family room is 93" from half wall to half wall.

Razenette, Sue Ct, and evelyn, thank you so much. Evelyn, the the table and chairs were both purchased through Boyles Furniture. (www.boyles.com). Thanks again!

-Margie

• greenthumbfish
    15 years ago

Now that is a dream kitchen! Thanks for sharing!

• bdaykitchen
    15 years ago

Margie,

Wowza!!! Don't know how I missed your post, but this transformation is absolutely fantastic!

We're planning a U-shaped kitchen w/smallish island & I'm definitely going to study the layout you posted. Thanks so much for doing that!

Love colors, so warm & soothing & really love that corner cabinet. I'll have to study that for my cabinet maker.

Thanks for a fantastic inspiration & all the details you've provided.

• luisa_at_home
    15 years ago

Thanks so much for sharing, Margie! You are definitely my hero. Love your 2-tone hanging pendant light. Is it working well for you? ID pretty please?

• margieb2
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luisa, that's the San Marco pendant by Ogetti.

Bdaykitchen, I'm glad I could help. I love my u-shaped lay out!! I was very tentative at first as large cneter islands seem to be all the rage. My husband kept asking if I was sure about giving up our island. I have to say, I'm glad I stuck to my guns. Good luck with yours. And enjoy the process!

• brescianlute
    15 years ago

That is the prettiest backsplash I have ever seen.

I love:
    - the surprise sparkly squares
    - the color flow between the backsplash and the granite
    - the large amount of bright white in the backsplash and granite, with a minimum of grey (I like silver/gold, but not grey tones)
    - how the cabinet stain seems to match a hue in the mosaic backsplash... PERFECTLY! As though the cabinet stain was designed for that mosaic or vice-versa.

Wow.

Also quite clever is that curve-around feature on the peninsula. That looks very fun and very practical.

Questions:

Do you do cartwheels into this kitchen every morning from sheer glee?

Did you put brackets under the granite curved out part?

What chairs did you settle on ?

Thanks to the person who linked to this thread from a posting today!

• jeniferrlynne
    14 years ago

No kidding, thanks for linking or I would have missed it. I wish I had close up pics of that fireplace- yum.

• Jbrig
    14 years ago

I, too, somehow missed this kitchen the first time around. Like a previous poster I got here from another link and just wanted to add my congratulations on a gorgeous kitchen and an amazing transformation! I hope you have continued to enjoy your new kitchen to the fullest!