Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mellyc123_gw

How do I make kitchen soffits fit into my elegant vision of kitch

mellyc123
12 years ago

Please don't laugh out loud : ) Other than not being very attractive, there isn't really anything wrong with this kitchen. I will update it in a few years, however for now it needs a facelift with paint, inexpensive counters and hardware and some nice lighting. I have added a black fridge and range and would like to have the cabinets painted. I have started painting the grout taupe so it blends in with the tile and the tile has gray in it.

White cabinets, taupe cabinets, gray cabinets??

My vision of what I want this room to be gets all cloudy when I consider the soffits and the popcorn ceiling.

I have used SW Chinchilla and SW Pallisade in other rooms. I like traditional furniture and I am looking for a round mahagony duncan phyfe table and shield chairs to go in the eating area so I want to somehow give this area an elegant look (pls don't laugh out loud )... l can't decide if I should add floor length curtains to those windows. Oh and I have a 75 gallon fishtank to incorporate in the living room area which I plan to put on a mahagony buffet.

See, I need some serious help! This room is open to the living room with a small dining area between similar to your layout.. and I have to keep the fishtank...

Beekeepers wife, what would you do?? Your layout is similar to mine.

There is so much talent on this site, surely someone out there can help me discover the potential here ...

kitchen

sink area

{{!gwi}}

windows where table has to go:

wall where fish tank is going to go:

Thank you!

Comments (16)

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I'd get some pretty hardware, paint whatever color you like on the walls, get a nice wt and maybe a pretty faucet, and save your pennies for the big reno later on.
    Your kitchen is cute now and not in need of a major overhaul in order to use it. You have a nice amount of space and storage and with a few pretty accessories, you could be done easily and cheaply. The cost of painting the cabs, or the labor alone, is worth it if you want to keep it that way for a long time. It is too much effort if it is to be shorter term. Besides, your cabs are not ugly and in need of being hidden under paint.

• Majra
    12 years ago

I like your kitchen! I think you're spot on about where to put a bit of money. I bet hardware will make the biggest visual impact. I like the cabinets white. Fabric around those sliding glass doors would soften and warm up that space considerably.

• lascatx
    12 years ago

Countertop, sink and faucet, add hardware to the cabinets, possibly replacing the hinges with white ones. Id do the counters in laminate or possibly IKEA butcher block and not spend any more than that on them if you plan to do more down the road. And the counter might be negotiable but it and the wall paint are reading like a near miss on my computer screen. The counters are reading a pinker beige and for that reason and because there is less of them than walls to paint, they'd be the first to go for me. Make that ledge above the range a place for a fun display -- colorful pottery , cookie jars, large glass jars with dry goods, less often used cookbooks, antique pieces, kid art on easels, something tropical, coastal or fishy to tie in with your aquarium -- just don't leave it bare and questioning why it and the soffits are there.

• susanlynn2012
    12 years ago

celinieke, I love your kitchen so much! What color is your kitchen cabinets and backsplash. Do you have a post to share that has the details of your kitchen? That is a great idea to hide the Soffits. I must save this thread! My kitchen is next after my Master Bedroom's carpet is removed and replaced with hardwood flooring.

• mellyc123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for posting that picture, I would have never figured out what you mean by fake doors. That is a great idea, the one on the left at the very top above the fridge has to stay for venting later on but the rest can go.

And yes those counter tops are pinkish and the walls are a beige/peachy color so they definately have got to go.

I had not thought of the ikea counters, I will look into that and I think they have inexpensive cabinet knobs there also.

Thanks

• mellyc123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

lyn2006 , can you tell me more about your light fixtures? I do not mind spending extra on the lights because I would be able to keep those later.

• celineike
    12 years ago

Hi Lynn2006 - thanks for much for the compliments!
    the cabs are BM Cloud White and the backsplash is white Heath Ceramics tile.
    here's the link my kitchen thread...

Here is a link that might be useful: my white kitchen

• lascatx
    12 years ago

What Celineike has is what I was thinking of suggesting until I saw the soffits in this kitchen. Not only do they sit out further than the cabinet, you also have that second tier. I don't know how you can deal with that by using a super crown or fake doors.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Once in a while I see a kitchen with a stenciled saying that really works and looks classy. Here is one resource--you can compose your own saying or use one of theirs

Here is a link that might be useful: resource for stenciled phrases

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

I love the ideas mentioned about soffits.
    You can turn the soffit into a faux molding of doors.
    I adore Celineike's beautiful kitchen, what a creative
    way to deal with soffits.
    Here are a few more examples. Soffit into a stacked
    cab or even adding molding to the soffit in the pic
    with the yellow. All fun ideas to make the space
    even more beautiful.

I would put some elegant drapes on the windows something
    like this...Not a Duncan P table but lovely nevertheless.

Oriental rugs over your tile floors and rich woven
    drapes will make the coolness of the room flow with the
    duncan pyfe table you are invisioning.

What about a built in fish tank?
    Fish tanks can take on a mood or feel of their own but
    built in ones remind us that they are part of the art
    and passion of the owner not an entitiy of their own.
    The built in fish tank becomes elegant art.

Back to the kitchen...
    Here is a combo of gray and white with a gentle soffit
    above. That sort of blends into the wall. I thought
    of this when you mentioned gray.

Painting soffitts above to match walls and cabs unify the
    space.

• biochem101
    12 years ago

Boxerpup's last two photos are good to de-emphasize those multi-level soffits.

Create more emphasis down below so people's eyes don't go UP.

The dark lower cabinets, a "wilder" countertop, colorful backsplash, more detailed cabinets, would all help.

Then one simple color above into the ceiling.
    Perhaps a paler "color" of the wall for the soffits and ceiling, so it isn't a stark white?

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

maybe not elegant but the PO (son-in-law made all cabinets in the house) added some trim details to the soffits to be a little less blank.

HTH

• mellyc123
    Original Author
    12 years ago

THANK YOU!!! So many wonderful Ideas. I was painting my dining room all weekend so next weekend I get to sit down and look at these pics again and determine what to do.

I think I will start by removing the popcorn ceiling from under the soffit and try to get to Ikea to get some inexpensive knobs to start with.

Please keep sharing!

• Fori
    12 years ago

Do measure extra super hard before putting the fish tank there. It looks like it might be tight (depending on the particular tank dimensions--I'm guessing 4 feet long if it's typical) and you don't want to close off any of that passageway.

It looks like a wonderful house with nice details and good ceiling height and a well-thought-out kitchen and then you get those weird kitchen soffits. I like the multilevel soffit but the one over the sink! Yes paint it to match the cabinets.

Or you could always take a cue from how the title of this post was cut off--embrace the oddity and go with kitsch over elegant! NAh. A nice elephant grey one cabinets (and soffits) might work. I don't believe in taupe but if you LIKE it...but ya know, I'd put color on the walls instead and keep the cabinets white (and white on soffits). You want enough contrast between walls and cabinets so that the eye sees cabinet-colored soffit and thinks it's cabinet.

• calimama
    12 years ago

This is a subject I am very interested, unfortunately I became interested AFTER my remodel. I definitely like the idea of painting the soffit (at least the lowest one)including the refrigerator wall, to match the cabinets. This one is an example, even thought it is wood, it gives the impression of height because it is different from the other walls:

This one still has a soffit, but the added cabinets:

This is what I am considering, just paneling it in:

Hardware will be a game changer, as will a new counter. Eliminating the 3" backsplash, will add increased height in the backsplash wall and will really make the whole wall look taller. I envy you, you have a great space and it won't take much to make a big impact!