Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I Finished my White Zen Kitchen!

Posted by celineike (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 10, 11 at 17:17

Ahhhh, it's good to be done.
What fun this whole process has been!
Here's the low down.

We had a slab leak in February. The entire downstairs had wood floors and water had been leaking into them for weeks/months? we don't know. But long enough that the walls and cabinets were wet as well. So they gutted and we got to work.
Our old kitchen was a dark place for me. We have north facing window and the light was always dim. We also had light wood cabinets and dark greenish black granite (Uba Tuba?) on the counters, island and backsplash!!!! ugh! what a light sucker that was!

I had always known that if we changed the kitchen it would be to white. I know people say timeless doesn't exist in kitchens... but every decade I can think of has had white as an option. So I never thought of this a trendy thing. -til i got here, lol.
Anyway, White cabs and grey counters were the only things I had in mind for sure. The rest fell into place the more I looked around and if you see a part of your kitchen in here... THANK YOU!!!! I stole SO many details from GWer's.

Details...
Apparently we have a small kitchen,lol... didn't think so til i got here either, it's 13'x12'

Counters.... Qortstone perimeters in Cemento
Island & Bar is Statuary Marble
Butcher Block on Island.... oiled Dark Walnut End-Grain 18"x38"
Cabinets .... shaker, inset, framed
Paint on Cabs ...BM Cloud White
Paint on Walls ... BM Smokey Taupe
Hardware is mostly RH & Rejuvenation for the Latches (way worth that investment!) All Polished Nickel
Island now measures 38"x 84"
walkways are 38" on sink side; 42" on oven side; and 36" on fridge side... all plenty wide, i was worried about pushing these measurements.
Bluestar RNB 36"
Proline 36" Hood
Sharp MW Drawer
Kenmore Elite French door Fridge
Fisher & Paykel Dish Drawer Washer
Sink.. Krauss 33" double Bowl Stainless
Main Faucet is Hansgrohe Pull Down PN

Befores...
way before
Photobucket

and after...
Photobucket

Photobucket

Fridge wall, Appliance garage on right and coffee station on left
Photobucket

Island with BB and Rubbish/Recycling Bins/drawers - love these!
Photobucket

Bluestar tee hee
Photobucket

Photobucket
I'll post some more pics of fun details. Things i liked seeing from other's kitchens and ended up adding to mine.

At one point, I had chosen everything and had a huge set back of worry that the whole thing would be boring instead of calm and bright and peaceful. Thank you all for your encouragement and opinions on various choices and ideas. This is such great forum with wonderful people.
I love how my kitchen turned out!

xo

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I Finished my White Zen Kitchen!

What a fabulous transformation, congratulations!

o

So many details are so perfect! I love your island top and arched windows! The floor with the bb is a wonderful complement to the marble and white.

I'd love to see this kitchen every day and definitely would love to cook in it....

o

Super nice!!! ohmmmmmm!

o

Ooooh - I agree with Dianalo. Plus, I would add that it would be fun to use your swing door with that cute toe kick thing. The floor is a great choice with your white cabinets and butcher block.
Nice job!!
Wait - I spied something. Any chance you could show us the window seat?

o

Very nice.

Who made your over-the-sink window?

o

WOW - congratulations! Absolutely stunning! A new favorite for sure. Please provide the floor and backsplash info? Thank you...ENJOY

o

I've been waiting to see!!! On dh's bb so pics are small. I'll be back to drool more later. It's so amazing!!! So happy for you!

o

You did it! Hurray!!

It is beautiful and memorable, thanks for posting the final pictures.

That window casement is gorgeous and I love the dark walnut butcher block at the end of your lovely marble. I am glad you put so much thought into the window surround. It really sets your entire space off so well.

Bon Apetite!

o

Love the island. and the rest, of course. Love the island. Did I mention that I love the island.

o

Beautiful. Love the island, the window, the whole space. Congratulations!

o

Wow! What an amazing transformation. I love the window over the sink and the island marble, among everything else of course. Also love the symmetry of the refrig area...perfection!

o

You have that crazy beautiful island design!! The rest is all very lovely too but that island... OMG !~~~~~~

o

Beautiful kitchen! I love the marble and especially the floor. Can you share any info on it?

o

I felt myself relaxing just looking at the beautiful pics! Congrats; it's gorgeous!

o

Your "before" kitchen looked nice to me, but the after...wow!

o

You've done a great job. While I can see some GW influence, it is also very uniquely yours and will inspire many others who follow.

Nice.

o

Great job! Not sure what I like best, it all seems to fit together so well.

Nancy

o

Your "before" kitcehn could easily be someone's "after" kitchen but I am much more attracted to your "after." It is beautiful.

I showed your before and after to my family and said "Can you beilieve you are looking at the same house?"

They are both beautiful kitchens but evoke such different feelings that I imagine two different houses when looking at each one.

Enjoy your new space. It is so elegant.

o

Love the sink window!

o

What everyone else said -- the island, the window -- but what I really noticed and loved were the stacked cabinets and the great cornice moldings -- these are the kinds of details that really make the space special. Great job!

o

Love it!

o

It's beautiful. Have you cooked on the Bluestar yet? What is your backsplash?

o

It is just beautiful! You did such a wonderful job. If you have a chance could you post pictures of your breakfast nook? It looks like we have the same one and I want to add the window seat too. I would love to get a peek at yours. Thanks:o)

o

Gorgeous! My favorite--the new arched window! I love windows and natural light.

o

Love it! We have a similar layout and will start demo end of August I'm guessing. Love the island!!

o

I like that wood on the island!

Very classy space--clearly it's a good thing and a happy ending.

o

Hi everyone! Thank you so much for all of your sweet words and compliments! It's so nice to get the GW seal of approval. :0) This is by far the toughest audience. ;0)
You are the creators of some amazing kitchens!

I do love being in my new space. I only have a quick minute and can't post more pics til tomorrow AM.
The floors are engineered maple. I'll have to look up the exact brand but they are crazy soft. We have so many dents and scrapes just from the install. Kind of a bummer.
And the back splash is Heath Ceramics tile in Stone White. We used a variety of 2x6, 2x8 & 2x12.
I will answer specific questions tomow -sorry.
And will post pics of the bench & wet bar.

C

o

LOVE it. amazing transformations. Never would have thought of those dark floors, but I absolutely LOVE them with your other choices!

o

Stunning! I love it!

o

Noice! Sexy Bluestar! Love the sink! Love the countertop color! everything goes so well together. LOVE IT!

o

truly stunning! wow! congrats and have fun cooking! ...i love the long pulls on your trash. pretty...

o

Very Cool!

o

Perfect in EVERY way! I love the way your window turned out (and that is really a SHARP dishwasher). Your island slab is to die for, and is perfectly punctuated by the hardware choices. The pantry door... (I assume that's a pantry door?) perfect! I feel relaxed looking at it and I'm so glad you turned what was such an immobilizing, frustrating experience into something you will cherish. It really is a stunner!

o

celineike - love your kitchen. stunning!
Can I ask how you are liking the non-toe-kick, "furniture base trim" on your cabs? It looks terrific! I'm considering doing that, but wonder how it feels in real life. Also, any scuffing so far? Thanks!

o

Gah....let me pick up my jaw from the ground and wipe away the drool. Gorgeous!!! Zen is the perfect description. Great job!

o

what a peace-filled space - calm, lovely, classy. congrats!

o

The 'before' was nice, the 'after' is stunning! Congratulations!!! I hope you enjoy every moment in that beautiful new kitchen! Even your floors got a makeover. Would you mind sharing the stain color?

o

Wow, that's like a cathedral; a temple of calm. Even your sculpture-dishwasher is in repose.

o

Stunning. You certainly achieved the light and serenity that you were looking for. Where did you find the wonderful meditation bronze on your counter ? I love her....c

o

So many beautiful elements but I especially love the window and the grate above the fridge. I love swirls.

o

Wow, that is one gorgeous kitchen. A class act all around. What a wonderful space to work in. I envy you. I have been looking for a wall clock that looks like an old clock dial and it appears as though you have found one. Can I ask where you found it? Thanks and Enjoy!

o

Wow! Absolutely stunning! I am positively drooling over your marble and inset cabinets. I also love how you've mixed hardware.

o

I know I've missed a bunch of reveals while I've been busy away from the computer, but I'm glad I didn't miss this one, celine! It's just lovely. And you deserve the zen after what happened. The marble is gorgeous, as is the wood trim on the sink window wall.

You're not using the yoga lady as a towel pig, are you?!

Becky

o

Your before was charming.....but that after is.....has made me.......I don't know....speechless. Are you kidding me? This is like perfection. It is so lovely and you must pinch yourself everytime you enter to make sure it is not a dream. The window, the grill above the fridge, the zen lady, the pull-outs for the trash, recyling, that island as a whole, the stations on either side of the fridge....MY oh MY!

I have a question, do you like the pullouts where they are? Have you noticed any interference with the range? They look fabulous by the way. I am mulling this one over presently.

o

Love the window, love the island, love the window, love the counters...love THAT window. What a great transformation. You should be so proud to cook in that wonderful space! Amazing.

Becky - I just spewed Diet Coke. Too funny!!

o

Oh my gosh, this is stunning. It's also my layout, so I may have to steal YOUR ideas. Absolutely beautiful. Congratulations!

Nellie

o

Amazing how it turned out. I've been on the hunt for a clock similar to yours. Where did you get it?

o

That window over the sink is beautiful! Love the BB and marble, too.

Well done!

~ MM

o

I love that window! And that marble! And those cabinets!

It is positively stunning! Congratulations and ENJOY!

o

Very beautiful kitchen. Quick Question? Can I ask if and where you have any seams on the Cemento countertop. My mom is renovating her kitchen and she picked a similar countertop to yours and requires a seam. The perimeter of your layout is similar to yours as well.

Thanks and enjoy your beautiful kitchen.

o

Beautiful! I swear, I never tire of seeing kitchen transformations!

Jodi-

o

Your kitchen is an inspiration! Absolutely beautiful!

o

Wow -I'm surprised you can ever drag yourself out of that kitchen. What a wonderful space to start your day in....

May I ask where you got the wonderful "zen lady" sculpture near the sink? Love her!

o

Not boring in any way! Can you give us a close up on backsplash? Also what filter faucet did use?

o

It is beautiful, and bright and calm all at the same time! I love the island pulls as well, would you mind sharing the details? Your floors are perfect with the colors, and the BB is fabulous as well. Congrats, it is an amazing transformation!

o

Wow! The whole thing is just gorgeous. LOVE your island design.

o

Absolutely beautiful transformation, all the way around! Be super proud of this fine work and enjoy!

o

Beautiful! And the Zen statue is the perfect finishing touch.

o

I believe this is what we call achieveing nirvana. It's is stunning and so well balanced. Kudos to you and enjoy!

o

Just lovely, the marble and walnut island is especially great
Lynn

o
fun details and some answers to questions...

THANK YOU!!!! I am blown over by the lovely words you all have. Really, It's so nice to hear every word after so much belly-aching over details and having a very clear picture in my head that I defended over and over (DH, contractor, etc) i.e., ..."You sure you want the bottom cabs stained and NOT the top???"... or... "i don't think mixing hardware like this is how it's done"... ;o)
I was TKO every second of this and totally loved it! lol
And YES!! Im loving that Bluestar and cooking is a dream in the bright space! I do think i will need to learn how to cool all over again though - I've made quite a few things and never really got the burner knob much past low! that thing is HOT! :D

So more deets..
Window seat!
The cabinet maker built everything you see that's made of wood. They installed for 3 weeks. I thought it was going to take a day or 2, ha. They had installed the window seat after only showing me a little sketch. It was very thin and even though it's 9 feet long, it only sat 1 person! so they built some sides on to it and now it seats 3 at the round table. (im married to the table) but it makes a nice reading space too.
Photobucket
Photobucket
Photobucket

Palimsest - the woodwork was done my the cabinet guys ...
woodworkingOC or WoodworkingLA...they do a lot of restaurants and wine storage/bars

Gardenamy - the Flooring is Garrison Deluxe
Maple Laguna (it's engineered and pre-finished)

califreckles - Thank you!
The base trim on the cabinet bottoms is great! I had read someone say... "where would you put your toes?" and i had to laugh because who the heck stand THAT close the counter?? No scuffs yet - but when they come,, i'll just add a coat a paint - Im DIY all the way.

aliris19 & trailrunner - thanks guys! The Bronze statue was an anniversary gift form my DH for our "Bronze" anniversary. He did good huh?? and no Becky, "gulp!" she's not a towel pig! :P

louisianapurchase - thank you! it's funny you mention "the grill above the fridge" it's my kitchen's dirty little secret!

All of the upper cabs (except for 3) are fake. I had 15" soffits there before and hated them like crazy. The only way i was going to get my lofty feel was that stacked cab look, so we just made faces for them all. The GC and cabinet guys really thought i was crazy when i said i wanted hinges and hardware on them.
Photobucket

here's a pic of the oven door open next to the island where the trash drawers are. It's only 42" but it's more than enough. The pot lids are between the 2 trash bins.
Photobucket

open pic - the hardware on here is where my DH thought i had lost it. 4 different kinds threw him off completely. But i wanted these (RH Grafton Pulls) to be opened with a pinky if need be and i wanted to hang kitchen towels on them as well. I think they work.
Photobucket

my baking station.. although not like most peoples, 'cause i have to move things to the island to work, but it's all in one place and i love it!
Photobucket

catsam- We have 2 small counter seams going back from the sink in the Cemento. They are invisible! amazing work!

sophie123 - I think i got the filter faucet on ebay it's a Kingston in Brushed Nickel
Here's the back splash - it's Heath Cermaics Tile
Photobucket

and lastly, i think... the clock! I got it at target years ago.

ok, off to make dinner! :D

o

It's beautiful! Congratulations and enjoy your space!

o

I'm relieved to hear the Bronze Belle doesn't have to worry about tea towels : ). As soon as I saw the recycling bin handles, I thought "Towels!" They're perfect.

Not too long ago I ran across what seems to be a very similar, if not the same, clock, and it *is* at Target...

Becky

Here is a link that might be useful: Target clock

o

Just exquisite. The window is a show stopper. And love the stain choice on the wood floors. It sure looks zen. Congrats!

o

Well, I love your kitchen. Not only is it beautiful, it would be great to work in, so...functional I guess is the word I'm looking for. I remember the window seat area, it turned out wonderful.

o

Hey Becky! That is the exact clock I have! I'm glad they still have it.
I love it. Maybe I'll get another one. :D I stole that one from our master bath.

o

Really great! The island is amazing! Love all the details like the air vent. And I love how you mixed hardware styles! The floor and the marble are big faves of mine. Enjoy enjoy enjoy!

Actually I just saw another just finished kitchen with a similarly smashing island. Lovely.

o

Hi sabjimata - you are speaking of Alabamamommy's kitchen i know! Her sneak peak inspired me beyond words.
Her island is amazing! and HUGE! I definitely have the Barbie version. :o)
I had been awaiting her reveal for months - she seemed so close.

Thanks for saying about the air vent - it was one of those things where you just have to deal with it - and i pretty much worked. The cabinet guys thought of it, they are artists.

o

Just stepping back here to ask if your DH remembers where he got the wonderful bronze ? I have tried Google and there are some out there that are similar but not as wonderful as yours....would love it as a gift for someone special. c

o

After you have been so generous with sharing pictures, would you mind sharing more of your bar? It's really lovely and I would love to save some pictures of it for inspiration. (I currently have a space plumbed for a wet bar, but have yet to really design it.) Do you like how it functions? Is there anything you would do different about the bar? Thanks so much for sharing your lovely home with us!

o

Just chiming in to oooo and ahhh here. Such a wonderful kitchen! That window is to die for and I love the island, counters, cabinets...I could go on and on. I see you also resolved the bench/built-in seating area. It looks great. Congratulations on such a beautiful result!

I've been going back and forth as to whether to change the countertop on my island or the finish, and recent unveilings like yours are swaying me to change out the counters. It's just such a great look - and very inspirational.

o

I've assumed the lotus position and am chanting, "Oohhmmm, what a beautiful kitchen. . . Oohhmmm, love the island and window. . . Oohhmm. . ."

Your layout is similar to mine although my door to the dining roon is on your fridge wall and my sink wall is all window. I'll definitely be studying your layout for ideas. I predict many with soffits that cannot be removed will be copying your tall cabs to hide them.

Congrats and enjoy!

o

Holy Schmoley. Gorgeous. Everyone else has already said everything I'm thinking. Congratualations on a job extremely well done.

o

Thank you, Beckysharp for the link to the clock. Looks like it will fit the bill!

o

#1 - Kitchen is magnificent

#2 - Am ordering the clock right after I finish this post. I've been looking for something just like it. THANKS!!

SQ

o

Hi all,
Trailrunner, i sent you the link to the page with the statue. DH still isn't home from work yet, but I got lucky and found it through a search -
It's on Novica's website.

And here's a pic of the wetbar area.
We have never seriously used this area as a bar, more like spill over for all the extra stuff. Now we have our little drink fridge tucked in there. We had the "hole" made big enough to put in a nice wine fridge at some point. Im done spending for awhile though. :o)
now we have ALL of our glasses over here.. even the kids plastic cups and water bottles are in here. Hopefully they all get use to the idea of this.

Photobucket
hate how that light photographs so yellow
its fine IRL

Photobucket
Photobucket

o

I absolutely ADORE this kitchen!

I have been in my starter home for 24 years and am finally buying a "grownup house". Inspections were just finished and surprisingly uneventful but the whole process is literally making my head ache constantly.

I swear that as I scrolled down through the pictures of your kitchen, I felt the creases in my forehead relax and the furrows between my eyebrows parted for the first time in 2 weeks!

I love to look at all of the beautiful spaces on this site. I am blown away by the thought and careful deliberation that goes into the kitchens and bathrooms, especially.

But this kitchen reinforces one of the few things I have never dithered over: less can truly mean more.

Thanks for the headache relief and temporary botox!

o

Cattyles-Omg, you are too funny! Thank you. Maybe I can put off Botox a few more years just hanging out in my kitchen lol. I doubt it!!�

o

Celineike,

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!

My favorite... get ready. Your floors! Yes, your floors.
Of course everything else is a perfect too. I love your
cabinetry, the lighting, the counters (never knew
concreto could be so pretty) the marble island,
the legs on the island, the soft painted walls.....
So many details but the dark stained floors have
me ga ga.

~boxer

o

Marvelous!!!!!!!!!!!

o
Do You have a Zen Bathroom?

Love the kitchen. I really need a zen bathroom though, hoping you have one and can post pics of one.

o

Thank you so much for sharing pictures of the bar area. It's stunning!

o

Stunning transformation! Can I ask if you have 8' ceilings and what your lower and upper cabinet heights are? You got those proportions just perfect! SO creative to stack the cabinets and get rid of the soffit, it makes all the difference! Do you have 18" between your counter and upper cabs?

Also, very interesting how you elected for 24" deep uppers on your fridge wall. You said that you don't work there but I was curious about the left side above your microwave- what do you store there, is it mostly a landing spot for microwave items?

thank you again for posting this inspirational kitchen! Your statuary marble is to die for.

o

LOVE LOVE LOVE your kitchen! Great job!

Could you tell me if the paint on your cabinets is oil or latex? I want to do white painted cabinets as well, but have heard pros/cons for either choice.

Thanks for sharing your wonderful space!

Suzie

o

Thank you prickely!

Scrappy... The ceilings are 9'. The soffits/most upper cabs were/are 15". The cabinets are 36" tall and are 18.5" from the counter.

The uppers around the fridge were a weird thing. The carpenter made them only 12" deep but pulled all the way forward. I freaked at how I lost all my counters space there and there was so much less storage overall. So they made new cabs, over the microwave they are 18" deep. This helps w some deeper storage. Over the microwave is our coffee station. All tea, coffee, espresso stuff is above & the maker is on the counter. I push it back when not in use.

On the other side it's the baking storage and 24" deep it's all the way deep but upright storage. There's a pic above. Worked out great for storage but the counter areas are a little bit like caves. ;0). Oops!

Suzie- I don't know if it's oil or not, they say it's laquere and it was stinky...?

o

Your kitchen is clearly beautiful! Quick question: Who makes that round table? I absolutely love it. Thanks.

o

Eveyone has expressed my feelings already. You know I'm a big fan of the room! You had great vision to pull this off despite the doubters along the way. I wish my vision was as clear. Maybe you've been planning this new space for a while and then just "happened" to have a leak? ;) And you did it in amazing time.

I love so many things big, like the whole stunning island, and small, like the pulls/towel bars. I immediately thought towel bars also. The window seat turned out really great in the end.

Interesting that you don't use the toekick space for toes. I thought it did so I did an experiment last night making dinner. Yep, sometimes my toes go under. Too bad because your kitchen looks great sans toekick. I don't recall seeing one like that.

I remember your search for a different pantry door knob. It looks cool, but could you photograph that and source it please?

You will certainly be the inspiration for many kitchens in the future. Love it!

Oh, and do you miss the open shelves you considered?

o

This is one stunning kitchen! I love the way you have used
"popular" elements (white inset cabs, dark wood floors, marble, etc) but made it all so fresh and unique. You really did an amazing job!!

o

Honestly I think you probably had one of the nicest "before" kitchens that I've seen here but your new kitchen is absolutely beautiful! I know there's been some backlash lately about "another white kitchen" but I for one never tire of them (I see several things we share in our kitchens-Gilmore pulls, Rejuv cupboard latches and schoolhouse fixtures etc. so I may be biased! ;)

I also really liked the longer pulls on your pullouts to double as towelholders...I'm remembering someone else here...lazydaisy? threedaisies? who did that and I thought that was such a brilliant idea. (Of course when it came time to order my own hardware I had forgotten about that and only ordered one longer pull-oh well!)

Congratulations on the fabulous final result of all your TKO'ness. Ya done good! :)

o

celineike: Hope you don't mind. I just HAD to have that clock. Ordered it the day I saw it in your picture. I absolutely love it. THANKS!!! SQ
Photobucket

When I previewed this message I just noticed what's visible through my french doors: Our brand new, too big toilet!! Yup - for now it's sitting in my dining room, waiting to figure out how the plumber is going to return it. Sometimes my life is so much fun...

o

Really beautiful kitchen. What a difference from the before pics! The marble on the island still takes my breath away, wow.

o

Wow, lovely and feels very ... French? Maybe it's the style of the window. And that butcherblock.... DROOL!!!!

o

Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful. You did an amazing job! I can't believe you aren't a professional. I looked through all the pics, and even though you seemed to post all the views - I wanna see MORE=). It's so pretty. I love the towel bar handles, and they go surprisingly well with the pulls on the drawers. Love the contrast with the floors (which are a piece of art themselves) I am designing a white kitchen for myself and am (was) worried about too much white - yours turned out beautifully. ?Where did you get those pendants? Also, you should post your pics on Houzz.com with the professionals=). Again great job!

o

Brava - absolutely stunning. Stealing lots of ideas!

o

I love your mix of materials! I think your kitchen will be timeless. I plan on doing a round table with a built-in banquet on one side (will seat 4/5). how do you like yours?

o

Wowza! Nirvana achieved! Very pretty, calm and inspiring in more ways than one (what am I going to make for dinner tonight?). I just love that window at the sink and the built-in window seat, so complementary and cohesive. It's been said the kitchen is the heart of the home, and yours is singing (saying) sitback, relax and stay awhile~

o

I love everything about the kitchen and I thank you for giving me the details especially of the color of the cabinets, the cabinet style, the backsplash and counter details! You should do this for a living since you have talent. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

P.S. I love the kitty cat! How old? Looks like still a kitten or a small cat? Reminds me of my Mittens but a smaller version who I still miss.

o

Yay you are finished! So happy for you. Sheese I go on vacation a week and you AND alabamamommy post finished kitchens. Two that I've been dying for. It's gorgeous! I will forever be jealous of your island. It's my favorite thing in your kitchen.

o

Wow...so pretty. I'm a function over form girl, so I love seeing the recycling center on your island. We're doing the same pulls, but I'm also adding the Richelieu toe pulls so I don't have to get that pretty hardware dirty when I'm baking.

We're getting the Sharp MW drawer, too. Do you love it?

And is that a pantry door? Is that a foot pull? Can I see, pretty please!?

o

Hi GUYS!!!
wow - have i missed this board!!! I don;t know what happened but as soon as i moved back into the kitchen, life started full sped ahead! I've barely been on GW and miss you all dearly!
The kitchen has been holding up well - although i was kinda afraid to actually use it for a few days, but it's good. :o)

So, i have some questions to catch up on.

boxerpups,yvette123 & hollie_z9 thank you! and Yesm Hollie - the bathroom is next on the list but maybe next year. I'll start actually researching that BEFORE it starts this time. lol.

THanks Breezy! I cant wait to see where you are in the process lately.
So i swiped KatieOB's toe kick (baseboard look) i love how it looks like grounded- part of the grand "zen" feel i was hoping for.
For my pantry door, i ended up using an 8" RH pull like the ones on the garbage cans. It's not totally the look i was craving there but i works. I will try tot get a pic of how it turned out.

And no, I don't think i miss the open shelving, I miss the $200 the carpenter changed me for changing my mind at the last minute! :D oh well.

SusieQusie60!!! You're target clock rocks!!! I love it in your kitchen!!! I really have a thing for clocks, the bigger the better. I'd have more but the family gets weird about them. anyway, the clock color is perfect with your cabinets!!! Love it!!!

thank you Lesyeuxbleu! Too sweet!!! I got the pendants at Rejuvenation.com. I like them. that was a hard one for me, i had so many perameters forcing my choices. I still worry a bit they are too big, sigh!

o

Your kitchen is amazing! I adore your marble...I pretty much adore every detail of your kitchen. Enjoy you gorgeous space.

o

Thanks celinike! Did you notice the "clock in your kitchen" thread the other day? I had to post there and I had to give you a shout-out. (I do love your space!)

o

Celinike, i keep going back to admire your kitchen! Can you tell me what are the dimensions of your island? in particular, what are the size of the trash pullout drawers? are you enjoying the bluestar? do you like the oven in it? i still cannot decide between a bluestar or the wolf because of the oven... Thank you!!

o

Boring? This could never be boring! It is fantastically beautiful! All the details are wonderful. Great job. Now I have more to add to my inspiration file. :-)

o

Thank you michoumonster !
The island is 38"x 85"
The 2 outer garbage can drawers are 11.5" wide and the middle drawer is 9".
I really love using them. The cans inside are very tall and roomy.

I am loving the bluestar! It's still a little intimidating and I need some new saut� pans that will tame the heat. The oven seems great. I can only compare it to what u had before (2 small wall ovens).
I don't know the pros n cons vs the wolf. I'm sure it'd be fab though.

o

Thanks Celine! Your island seems the perfect size. I am leaning towards the bluestar for hi power to do stir fry and the deeper oven, and especially because you can get it in color, but DH is concerned about its reputed hot oven door and knobs because of our babies. did you find this to be the case?

o

Ya, unfortunately the door does get hot. It's on the low tech side of things. Which I like but w the little ones, it's a worry. My kids are now 8 & 10 so I tell them to just stand back. they have started their cooking lessons on the BS already. Anything else will seem quite wimpy to them now. Lol.

Does the wolf stay cool?

o

yes, the wolf stays pretty cool. it is just not as exciting to cook on. my little ones are starting to run around everywhere, so i guess it has to be safety first for me. thanks so much for your feedback!

o

Gorgeous!!!!! Now I wish I'd stuck to my guns & insisted on the butt hinges--yours look great! Love the end result!

o

Soo beautiful! Question -- it looks like your original soffits jutted out a bit from your original cabinets. Did you yourself/husband physically cut off the faces to make them smaller and then construct the faux cabinets? LOVE how it looks, just trying to figure out "how" you did it. I'm stuck with awful 70s soffits too and trying to figure out how to hide them...Thanks!

o
Celineike - RE: I Finished my White Zen Kitchen!

Celineike,

Another poster asked if your paint was latex or oil. I would like to know also since the BM cloud white is a perfect white on your cabinets! I would like to know which of their paints you used to paint that white and what gloss level because I want to paint my cabinets.

o

Great kitchen!!! We have almost the exact same layout with complete oppisite colors but I love it!!!! I should be posting my finish one very soon!!!

o

I too am wondering about the gloss and type of paint. Your kitchen is PERFECTION!!!

o

WOW! So impressive. I love every bit of it. Q??s about your island end facing the stove. Is this technique of turning the drawers/doors on end possible with standard/base cabinets, or does this have to be custom built? Obviously it needs customizing Just trying to figure what to tell my contractor.
Again..Stunning!

o

Hi and thank u all again for the lovely words. I'm loving living in my kitchen!!!

brandysmom- for the soffits. They did jut put further than the uoeer cabs before but know g the soffits needed hiding, I had them make the upper cabs a little deeper. So all they did was take off the drywall and put up wooden fronts.

Hi lynn2006. I am not really sure if the paints oil or not. It smelled really bad so I think it was oil. If you've seen Katie OB's old kitchen, she used BM white dove which is really bright and SO similar to cloud white, but... Looked so creamy and beatiful almost a true cream. ( but ts completely not in certain lights) It really depends on the lighting. When the lights are on, my cabs look creamy yellow; morning sun is way different than PM sun. So getting a sample painted on a card and seeing in in your space is crucial.

Azlee6574-Thanx!! Can't wait to see yours!!! Similar layouts are so fun to see transformed!

Forgot! Izabelscott--the paint finish is semi-gloss.

For the trash doors/drawers. I think you could use any door set up. They are attached to the trash rev-a-shelf things inside. I will send you a pic!!!

o

Celine - Can you please post the dimensions of your range wall? From cabinet next to range to the corner. Please. Trying to figure out if I have enough room to set up like yours. Or, better yet, post your layout if you can. Would be interested in all your dimensions! Thanks! Glad you are enjoying your kitchen...so am I as I keep coming back for another look!

o

Just LOVELY!! Now I really hate my kitchen!!

o

I realize it has been a while since your original post...But I am going back through the prettiest (understatement) white kitchens and I just love your Kitchen.

It is now time to chose paint colors...
We have already purchased 10 samples and don't really like any of them. We are even contemplating White walls. We will have white cabinets and white trim and almost want white walls, but it is a bit to harsh. I really like your walls. Actually both the colors above and below the chair rail.

Do you happen to remember what colors those are?

Thank you so much.

o

Garden Amy~ sorry it took me so long to respond, kids & summer are cramping my style! ;o)
The short end of my "L" where the range is, is 8' long. The lower cabinet on the left side is 21" wide. Just enough landing space.
I dont have a good layout pic with measurements on it, sorry.
The long (sink) side is 12'

Paint for Lesyeuxbleu~ Hi and thank you! The wall color is actually just 1 color.. BM Smokey Taupe. Even when i stand next to it, it looks as though it's painted two separate colors, but it's just the one.
I kinda think i could have gotten away with a color even closer to white. I love a good white on white. Check out Farrow and Balls whites, beautiful paired together. If you google F&B's paint and white kitchen & brooke giannetti, you will get a great blog from a local L.A. designer.
with a kitchen i have mused over and over. lots of great whites together that look so rich and not at all plain! gorgeous!

o

Your kitchen is gorgeous!

Are your cabinets locally made, or are they factory made? If Factory, what company? If local, what company?

Thanks!

o

Hi bradesp! Thank you!!!
The cabinets were custom made by some v cool local guys near Los Angeles. They are called woodworkingLA. Or they also go by
Woodworking OC. I think they are in Irvine.

Hope your close by -they are artists!!!

o

Celneike, can you tell me the size of your recessed lighting and what bulbs you used to give you such pretty light? Thank you! I am still deciding on BM Cloud White, BM Dove White or BM Chantilly Lace. I love the cloud white the best but I bought tiles that next to the cloud white (since they have a lot of gray in them that I did not see when I bought them since they are called white), they get more gray and look best next to cherry colors like my Brazilian Cherry Floor in the other room (I did not extend into the kitchen since I have small little dogs that go in and out the sliding door in the kitchen and I feed them in the kitchen)or very white colors. I like warm white colors and wonder if I painted a big sample board and had the right light, would the cloud white look creamy and not make my tiles look grayer but the ivory color and beige that they are with some gray veins.

o
P.S. RE: I Finished my White Zen Kitchen!

Celneike, I now have a sample can of BM Cloud White and BM Chantilly Lace and I will paint sample boards and decided. I also may opt-out of painting my cabinets since I found two cabinets I love that are new but I am still waiting for a price quote on what it would be to remove my cabinets, remove the soffit, add new lighting, add crown molding, etc. I am trying to decide what is the best option with timing right now. I really love the BM Cloud White paint so much and wish the cabinets in the store matched that color a little bit better but they were close. Again, I adore your kitchen!

o

Incredibly good choices. Everything goes together seamlessly. Great job! How do you like the marble?

o

Thank you again Lynn - I hope you find your white. And really, getting close can be good enough. There is so much time and heartache wasted picking out white! :D

Thank you 34TMR!!! - I do LOVE the Marble. it's just the right amount of beautiful in what could easily be a bland space.
It has, of course, all ready got some etched spots... a few with each party.. but that's life and i don't let it bother me.

o

Celineike - Have to admit I just love when your kitchen pops to the top again, gives me another chance to take a peek at it!

Question regarding your uppers. I'm considering stacked also. Your uppers are 15" stacked top, over what size?

My proposed stacked are 15" over 27". Would like to visually compare that to whatever yours are so I have an idea what they will look like. Thanks in advance!

o

I konw I'm way after the fact, but I love before & after pics, too. :)

I was wondering if your trim, (all of it!) Crown, base, etc., had a name? I don't have any trim in my house and can't wrap my head around the pieces at the store. I think yours is simple, clean and lovely.

TIA,
Christine

o

Bumping this thread so CDFreeman's post can be seen.

o
Decided I love BM Cloud White - RE: I Finished my White Zen Kitch

Celineike, I decided on the BM Cloud White if I paint the cabinets. If I don't paint and I buy new cabinets, I have been trying to find white cabinets not whiter than BM Cloud White but not too yellow. I also will be open to the right shade and style of Cherry inset or frameless full overlay cabinets. So far I am in love with the inset look and I LOVE your kitchen.

o

Oh, so pretty. So very, very, VERY pretty!!! I'm in love! Would you mind sharing the size of your cup pulls? Are they all the same size? I'm struggling with these right now! Thanks so much!!

o

I had to look at this kitchen again and I am so in love and wish it was my kitchen! Thank you again Celineike for sharing so much!

o

Hi thrilledtobuild, thank you! The cup pulls are the Gilmore 4" from Restoration Hardware. we used the same size everywhere. Good luck with your hardware choices - it can be super fun and a killer at the same time. second guessed it so many times. :o)

and Thanks again Lynn!!! You just tickle me!!!! hope everything is coming together for you!

xo

o

Your kitchen is amazing. I love it. I used some of the same hardware.. but didn't use the crystal knobs.. I wanted to but wasn't sure how it would look with the polished nickel.. I love the way you mixed them!

o

LOVE your kitchen. What a stunning transformation! All the elements work so well together. My favorite part though is your gorgeous floor. I wish they would do a porcelain hand scraped wood look tile. Haven't been able to find any yet.

o

Thank you Ajard! I actually have to pass the credit to my husband for the crystal knobs. I was hesitant to add such a (excuse the term) "old-lady" looking knob, But I'm so glad i did they kind of add a light-pretty touch. Way to go DH! I didn't really let him have much say,lol.

And thank you Blonelle! I also looked for a ceramic dark floor and the closest i could get was a black limestone. way too much $$$ and pretty hard to stand on - as i heard from many GWer's.
The wood is SO nice but is already so scratched from our crazy cats and dog - they chase. ;o)
I'd do it again in a heartbeat though. The dark floor is so grounding in a light kitchen.

o

Celineike, now that I have seen your knobs, I am going to take the chance and change all my knobs in my bedroom to crystal knobs since I have ivory, cream and white in the room and the brass knobs do not go with the chrome and crystal lamps.

It says you used BM Cloud White but in another post, you thought you used BM Simply White. I had planned on using the BM Cloud white since I LOVE your kitchen and loved how you covered the soffit.

o

Oh Lynn! You know my kitchen better than i do!! lol
YES, it's the Cloud White! i used the Simply White somewhere else in the house. I know the post you are talking about.

I hope you like the crystal knobs - they really are so sweet!
we used the 1" knobs on the wine bar and the 1.25" in the kithcen. the tiny ones give a delicate look that i didnt think you'd noticed that much with just a .25" difference.

Celine

o

Your kitchen is an inspiration to me! I have been agonizing over a white for my cabs, always coming back to Cloud White. Although our kitchens are quite different (to say the least!), all our elements are quite similar, so I think my decision's made. :)

Are you in the Bay Area? I notice that Heath Ceramics is in Sausalito. I love the color of your backsplash, but might have to settle on a less expensive alternative.

o

Hello! I love the floor in the hallway. Can you tell me what that is?

o

Kali2024, are you talking about the tile floor in the foyer area since I LOVE it also and would love a close-up picture and to find out what it is. Celineike has great taste!

o

YUp thats the tile i'm talking about...Gorgeous! Celineike: please let us know what that is!

o

Bumping this thread so Ceineike can see it to tell us what the tile floor in the foyer area is. I love it also kali2024!

o

Celineike, just emailed me personally to tell me she is going to get a close-up of the tile floors and will see if anyone on here knows what it is since she can't remember what the tile floor is in the foyer area.

o

Hi!
I asked this in October of last year, and since we're rolling around again to that time, I thought I'd ask again in case you browse...

<----Begin repeat---->
I konw I'm way after the fact, but I love before & after pics, too. :)

I was wondering if your trim, (all of it!) Crown, base, etc., had a name? I don't have any trim in my house and can't wrap my head around the pieces at the store. I think yours is simple, clean and lovely.

TIA,
Christine

o

Hi Christine!

Thank you again for your sweet words. None of the trim or crown have names that I'm aware of. I think I just choose the simplest thing at the store.

I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding a nice one!
Celine

o

Well well, feast your eyes on this BEAUTY! Another fabulous white kitchen to add to my inspiration file. Love everything. Lots of fantastic touches, like the cool way you set in the table and that awesome window!
Thanks for sharing.

o

OH I didn't realize this was from last year, glad it resurfaced!

You mentioned the cabinet paint...can you please tell me were the cabs were painted elsewhere before install or painted in place? What type of wood are they? I'm in San Diego and there is no consensus on either. Actually white cabs aren't popular at all here and I WANT THEM this time for sure!

Is that a full depth fridge with deeper cabs around it?

Last but not least, how's that white holding up a year later?

Thanks.

o

So glad this post resurfaced. What a gorgeous space!! Celineike TY so much for sharing w/us. What an inspiration! PS. Sweet kitten!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here