Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rightdi_gw

Need Help and valuable opinions!

rightdi_gw
9 years ago

Hello All! I've been a long time lurker and can't thank you enough for all your opinions and professional advise! I am building a new home, and was just told my kitchen design had to be changed due to a measuring error. So now I have to decide before Monday how will my kitchen look. The layout is pretty set; what varies is the cabinet/drawer dimensions. I would greatly appreciate any feedback and all opinions on the following options: (I guess I could only post one picture at a time? This is 1 of 3)
Thank you, thank you!!!

Comments (15)

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture 2 of 3

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Picture 3 of 3!! Help!

• User
    9 years ago

You've got 18'' in useless very expensive decorative elements. If you have to cut space, start there first. No one ever regretted eliminating decorative fillers. Smaller drawers, that's a regret. There is a lot of ''fat'' in that design contributing to the costs as well.

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I'm curious - what was the design before the error was discovered? Is the new length longer or shorter, and by how much?

I'm with Hollysprings - I would get rid of all that wasted space pronto, no matter how big the kitchen is. Unless it's a trash pullout, a 15" base cabinet has limited usefulness, with or without drawers.

One comment - it looks like you have a lazy susan in the corner. What's on the other side? I assume fridge or sink run. Do you need the susan? In my much smaller kitchen, I found it more efficient to block off the corner completely, and put drawers on each side.

What do you plan to put in each drawer bank/cabinet? That will best determine the appropriate sizes.

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was so excited to see the replies! I'm having a hard time making decisions and this will truly help! Thank you for your replies!
    @hollysprings & @annkh - After measuring, we actually had an additional 22" on the wall with the stove. So, it has been a challenge adding cabinets while balancing the hood with the bottom drawers. The 2 - 6" flanking the center 36" drawer are actually pull out racks. Annkh - what size do you consider smaller drawers? 15"? That seems to be our only option if we want to keep the bigger 36" on top. The following picture (A) shows our original revision, but with smaller and different size cabinets on top.

On the other side, we have fridge and pantry. I've included that pic as well (B). We also have an island. (C)

Any other layout feedback would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks!

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The right side (B)

• romy718
    9 years ago

I like the symmetry of the three 36" drawer bases. This is my 17" drawer for vertical storage. I also have vertical storage above my wall ovens for cookie trays & cutting boards. I've found I love this drawer-it's so much easier than trying to access stacked platters. I have spices in the small drawer above. You could put pot holders, placemats, aluminum foil, etc in the top drawer.
    Annkh gives good advice-what are you going to put in those drawer & which size drawers work best
    Also, you need heavy duty drawer glides for 36" drawers. Do not put standard weight glides unless you are planning on Tupperware in all the 36" ones. I know, having had to replace the standard hardware on my 36" ones.

• User
    9 years ago

6'' pullouts are very expensive and almost useless. That's what I mean by a lot of fat in this design. 2 12'' pull out pantries are so much more useful and may actually be about the same price.

• rightdi_gw
    Original Author
    9 years ago

@romy718 I love that idea! That's what I had in mind when I placed that drawer next to the oven! Your kitchen looks beautiful, even in that small snapshot! :)

I have not yet planned what will be going in each drawer. In fact, I had designed all cabinets, until I came here and learned the errors of my way!!! I am coming from a much smaller kitchen, so most of my dished and entertaining pieces are stored in the garage. Sooo, obviously they are never used!

Do any of you have a preference between 24" drawers vs. 36"? If I remove my pull outs, I can design using more 24" and 30" drawers.

Thanks, again!!
    D

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

There's a saying:
    A lack of planning on your part does not make an emergency on my part.

I think that saying mostly references teachers and students, but still it's widely applicable. This is a big decision you have to make. If Monday comes and you're not absolutely sure about the details, then whoever's pressuring you can just wait until you are. This is your house, you're the employer. The mistake is someone else's. Don't get railroaded into a rushed decision that you might regret by next week. (at this point raise you fist in the air and exclaim, "Yes!")

• romy718
    9 years ago

Here's a link to a post about drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything I wanted to know about drawers

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I would definitely get rid of the LS in the corner. Then your 24" drawer stack next to the fridge can be 33" (you need some filler in the corner so the drawers don't bang into each other).

I agree with Hollysprings about the 6" pullouts. I'd eliminate those, keep the 36" cooktop in the middle, flanked by 33" drawers on each side. On the left, you'd have 21", which is a nice drawer size, or good for a pullout like Romy's. The far right gets an 18" drawer (again, allowing for clearance).

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

36" drawers are so much more functional than 24s, although 24s are incredibly more functional than 15 or 12" drawers. Think bigger = better, with the appropriate drawer glides.

Those 6" pull-outs are frequently, pretty much wasted space. And wasted money. I'm also with romy, hollysprings, and annkh. Get rid of the filler type things and make the drawers work for you. Fewer to open, more space for storage, less cost involved.

You've got some nice ceiling height going on. Have you chosen your door style yet? I'd love to see.

• Fori
    9 years ago

Those pullouts might be there more for decoration than function--it IS called "Italian kitchen" after all!!

So if you have enough room for everything and want those pullouts as decorative elements, go for it. You can always stick something in there.

• brightm
    9 years ago

I really, really, really was going to plan for 30" drawers in a couple places, but in the end, the widest drawers I have are 24's. They're fine. We can fit almost everything in one 24 that we had in a 30" roll out shelf in our old framed cabinet, but our new ones are frameless.

Even so, I would be happier with 27's. That would have been plenty big for what I was planning in frameless. If I were going framed and I wanted pot/pan drawers, I'd try for 30's and wouldn't go narrower than 27's.