Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Screaming Stainless Steel Sink

These are before and after photographs of a Blanco stainless steel sink I refinished today with my new Festool ETS 125 sander after my cheapo died. I started with 180 grit Abranet, and followed with 240 and 400. I finished with 500, 1,000 and 2,000 Abralon. The customers had some stainless steel polish so I used it. The job took about 45 minutes. You know you've hit the mark when your customer says "Holy $#!t !" when he sees it the first time.

Refininshing seems to make the small dents more visible, but that's part of the tradeoffs when people are weighing the renewability of stainless as opposed to alternatives.

Comments (22)

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Wow, just wow. Did they call you out to do that or were you there for something else and added that on?

• musicgal
    9 years ago

Yeah, gorgeous job.

• sherwoodva
    9 years ago

Great job! When can you do mine? ;)

• greenhaven
    9 years ago

That is really, really impressive.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Looks awesome.

• ajc71
    9 years ago

Great job, love my festool ETS....I am without question drinking the green kool-aid by the gallons, have just about finished switching out all the company vans to festool exclusively

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

That is gorgeous Treb. I am going to call you one of these days to come over and do mine!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Wow, just wow. Did they call you out to do that or were you there for something else and added that on?"

The original call was to refinish the Corian countertops. (Note the difference in the reflection in the sink rail.) Since they're putting their home on the market soon, having me do the sink seemed obvious.

Keeping the teenagers from dropping super glue until the closing may prove more difficult.

I don't post this stuff to show off, but to show the renewability of surfaces. Refinishing Corian, especially the darker colors, can be tricky, but any DIYer with a $39.00 sander can refinish a stainless steel sink. You can't hardly screw it up.

Thanks all.

• ghostlyvision
    9 years ago

I love your threads Treb, always learn something while being impressed by your skills. :)

• annac54
    9 years ago

Can't see the sink images now as my work blocks a lot of them here on GW; but wanted to say that my DH absolutely swears by his Festool track saw. It was invaluable when we were redoing the cabinets in our house and condo.

Will check out the thread to see the sink when I get home. :)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

AnnaC54:

Festool is nearly cult like among tool heads. The fans of other brands even make fun of us.

I cut solid surface, notorious for dust generation, right in the kitchen of zillion-dollar oceanfront condos with my Festool track saw. It leaves a few crumbs on the tile, but saves me many trips in the elevator. This saves my customers money.

• RNmomof2 zone 5
    9 years ago

Trebruchet, I too enjoy seeing the train wrecks that you repair! I thought maybe you were keeping a good picture from us. I have a mid-tone matte Formica solid surface that is about 10 years old, it doesn't look bad but I wonder what a resurfacing would do ?

Keep the pictures coming!

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rnmomof2:

Busted. I was keeping 3 pictures from you:

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

Wow, that's extremely impressive!!!

But I have a question regarding the SS sink. It's undermount, right, but why is there so much visible of the sink edge? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Or is this a different kind of sink installation?

• Gemcap
    9 years ago

That is super impressive Trebruchet. Never even realised you could polish an SS surface like that.

nosoccermom's : my sink is going to be Blanco Pleon 9 http://www.blanco-germany.com/en/int/kitchen_sinks/product_catalogue_sinks_int/sink.html?sid=010100940 .

It can apparently be top or under mounted. The under mount however ends up looking like the top picture which I don't really like. Still looking at options as a work around.

• User
    9 years ago

Great job Trebruchet, looks great. But I have to be a "Debbie Downer" and ask, "since stainless steel scratches so easily, won't that sink scratch once again when, hmm, I dunno, a fork is dropped in it, or a pan is rinsed?" All your hard work undone in an instant. It's why I like Silgranit or enameled cast iron sinks better (ducking as Treb throws a fry pan at me or something).

• dgormish
    9 years ago

The first photo shows one of the reasons I don't like SS sinks. But, wow, you did a great job upgrading that sink! Looks fab!

• feisty68
    9 years ago

I used a little $10 kit from Home Depot to remove some bad scratches from the front part of the top of my Bluestar range. How they got there was really stupid and totally my fault. But the kit was incredible - you could never tell that the gouges were there! Works best for an area where you can redo the whole surface - I would not try it in just one spot of a surface.

Thing is, to restore stainless, you have to be sure it's solid stainless not just some paper-thin layer.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"But I have a question regarding the SS sink. It's undermount, right, but why is there so much visible of the sink edge? Doesn't that defeat the purpose? Or is this a different kind of sink installation?"

nosoccermom:

That's known as a "positive reveal" and is personal preference. I'm not wild about negative reveal sinks; they can hide too much crud.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

"Great job Trebruchet, looks great. But I have to be a "Debbie Downer" and ask, "since stainless steel scratches so easily, won't that sink scratch once again when, hmm, I dunno, a fork is dropped in it, or a pan is rinsed?" All your hard work undone in an instant. It's why I like Silgranit or enameled cast iron sinks better (ducking as Treb throws a fry pan at me or something)."

Sahmmy:

Thanks and fair criticism of whatever I post is always welcomed and encouraged.

I like assessing the renewability of surfaces. Silegranit is a great sink and difficult to scratch, but if you manage to do it, it's pretty much unrepairable. Same with enameled and chips. I just present the trade-offs and let readers decide.

I recently posted a thread called Silgranite Sink Experiment, but can't seem to find it. Any link would be appreciated.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

Here you go treb. It was Sigranite Scratch Experiment.

Here is a link that might be useful: silgranite scratch experiment

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks.