Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joseph_corlett

Silegranite Scratch Experiment

The good news is it took pressing this diamond saw blade as hard as I could against this piece of Silegranite to make a scratch that could barely be felt with a fingernail. I'm not aware of any diamond tipped kitchen utensils, so I'm not sure how an average person is going to scratch this stuff. Well, there are teenagers.

Getting the scratch out with diamond pads wasn't that tough.

But the higher the grit went, the uglier things got. This is after the third step in the Viper 3-step system.

I tried a few different things, some padded Mirka and even some of Steve's Polishing Pro abrasives and this was the best I could get.

The stick on top is untouched, the bottom had the work done. The finishes don't match and the pictures look much better than reality. The problem seems to be that the factory finish has some sort of matte texture to it. When I abrade the finish to remove the scratch, I'm getting the surface too shiny and have no way to put the matte back on. Yet.

I know what I'm going to do when I get the inevitable call to remove a scratch from a Silegranite sink. I'll have the homeowner purchase a replacement sink and send me an email acknowledging that their sink is ruined. When the new sink is on site, I'll try to polish out the scratch. If I'm successful in their judgment, they can ship the new sink back. If not we'll change it out.

Either that or a $1.50 color matched permanent magic marker applied every month or so.

This post was edited by Trebruchet on Sun, Jul 13, 14 at 20:14

Comments (7)