Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nysteve

We Got Granite (Sienna Bordeaux; Pix)

NYSteve
12 years ago

They just installed it today. Sienna Bordeaux Granite against Omega Merlot Stained Cherry (Anson door style).

Thanks to everyone who helped on the "anal granite" layout thread... this looks *great*!

Comments (26)

• prill
    12 years ago

That's the perfect granite with your cabinets! It looks beautiful.

• sskit
    12 years ago

Looks Great!! We just put a deposit on same granite this week and also are doing Cherry Cabinets!!!

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

Very rich looking... very beautiful. Congrats and enjoy!

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

Hey, I recognize that island! LOL, I see you went with option 1. It looks awesome!!! We have typhoon bordeaux, which looks like it's sister. LOVE it! We also have dark wood. Okay, another person to watch what they do for a backsplash! I'm waiting...
    Congrats!

• NYSteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, everyone. (And yes, its' option "1" from the other thread :).

Re: backsplash... we have a plan. Hard to describe... It's not a very exciting plan -- there's a lot going on with that granite already and we didn't want to fight it. We think it goes very nicely and has some pizzazz over the cooktop.

I'll get some pix posted when I can.... but it's hard to post pix of a "plan!" I have a few sample tiles, though...

• Redhead47
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! and beautiful with your cherry cabinets.

We have Sienna Bordeaux, too -- installed two weeks ago. BTW, our granite yard told me that Sienna Bordeaux & Typhoon Bordeaux are often the same. They name all their granites with these colors & patterns "Sienna Bordeaux", and don't ever have anything they call "Typhoon Bordeaux".

I'm still pondering the backsplash to go with our granite. I agree, it's a tough decision for the backsplash -- with so much new & special, you don't want to do anything too "blah," but on the other hand, you want that magnificent granite to be the star.

Would love to hear your backsplash plan & maybe pics of the tiles you are thinking about!

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

Perfection!

• nini804
    12 years ago

Lovely! Apparently "anal" granite is just perfect! :) I chose that granite for my son's bath vanity top...but sadly, since it isn't a huge area, I don't get to experience all of that lovely movement you have. Enjoy your beautiful kitchen!

• efc54
    12 years ago

Gorgeous! I'm waiting for our Siena Bordeaux, to go with our cream cabinets. Will be interesting to see the effect with light cabinets (it's beautiful with your cherry), and I want to see what you do for backsplash--am only beginning to start thinking about ours.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

WOW! the granite is beautiful and the island looks like it will really be a center piece of your kitchen.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I see option 1. What a rich and elegant space. The rangetop looks perfectly at home. Thanks for showing us.

• ae2ga
    12 years ago

I know this is about the granite, but the hood is great. Details?

• NYSteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks again, everyone, for the compliments. We really love the sense of motion through that big island... Now if we can ever get the electrician and plumber to show up, we could make some progress in turning this all functional!

Redhead47: Our granite place had both Sienna and Typhoon -- so at least some people think they are different. The Typhoon samples that we saw all had more white, while the Siennas had, well, Sienna :)

ae2ga: The hood is part of the Omega cabinet line - it's a mantle-style wood hood, and we got a prestige insert/blower to go with it.

As for the backsplash, here's what we're doing, first in sketch form:

The main field is 4x4 tumbled marble, fairly neutral color; tile run "straight"
    Random dots: Scarlet crushed metal 2x2 tiles, turned 45 degrees.

Over the cooktop is a metal framed rectangle, filled with a diamond pattern:

The diamond pattern consists of these pieces (all in a diamond shape, though):
    25% plain tumbled marble:

25% etched marble with a burgundy pattern on itL

25% scarlet crushed glass:

25% "marrone" crushed glass (kind of greyish taupeish).

These colors don't do the pieces justice, but you should get the idea.

(What's cool is that market-collection.com lets you design these custom blends right on-line.)

Not too much happening except over the cooktop, and there we drew on all of the existing colors in the cabinets and marble. Thoughts?

• bigjim24
    12 years ago

Oh boy! Yes, you sure DID get granite. And what a beautiful stone indeed! I love option 1.

• sskit
    12 years ago

We picked the Sienna Bordeaux but granite place also had typhoon and Crema Bordeaux. I agree with Steve they were differnt. We also loved the movement in this granite.

Great Kitchen!!!

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I think the bs has enough going on with it already. I wouldn't add anything else. It might distract from your granite.

• NYSteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Breezygirl: do you think there's too much going on? I know your tastes trend towards a simple backspalsh that doesn't fight the elements in the kitchen; we wanted a bit of "wow" factor but tried to balance by limiting it to the over the cooktop....

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

NYSteve, Did you ever get the BS up? Please post pics! :)
    We also have TB, with the dark cabinets. Lovely!

• NYSteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

sandesurf -- Yes -- I posted pix on another thread, linked below.
    BTW, if you like the backsplash above the cooktop, let me know... i have two extra custom sheets of that diamond pattern that are nonreturnable and, therefore, for sale at a discount :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Backsplash pictures

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

NYSteve...Love your granite and your kitchen!!

Questions about your island:

What do you have as a support for the oval part?

How many do you think you can seat there?

It appears that there is a 3.5 ft. isle between your wall cabs and the island... is that a comfortable space?

Thanks!!

• sandesurf
    12 years ago

WOW! Thanks for sharing!!! I posted on that link too. :)

• NYSteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

mercymygift: Thanks for the compliments.

I fear that the island is currently insufficiently supported -- we have the granite guys coming to look at it. The oval is 64" wide, supported in the middle by an 18x18 box. Hanging off of each of 3 sides of the box are 12" support brackets. It still leaves a lot of granite hanging over the bracket. We'll see what they say. The island can seat 5 for sure, and a 6th can probably squeeze. We're getting 6 stools -- one with no back that can slide under the island between the support box and the cabinets, out of the way.

The clearance is about 41" but it really depends on where you measure. The wall oven sticks out more than we thought it would so from the handle's edge to the granite edge is probably right about there. From cabinet front to cabinet front is about 47", if i remember right. I was initially concerned, but it's really not tight at all. We haven't *used* the kitchen much, but it seems roomy enough. After installation, if I could have moved the entire Island an inch or two towards the main sink, I would have. alas...

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

NYS...Thank you for the info! I'm curious as to why the people who templated your granite didn't suggest more of a support? I would love to hear what the granite guys say when they come out to look at your island. You can email me by clicking on my name, my email link is there.

Oh, BTW I stole your island design. I've been trying to configure my kitchen in our new addition. You can see my latest plan at the link below... scroll all the way to the bottom of the thread to see.

Here is a link that might be useful: New addition room layout

• NYSteve
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mercymygift: Good question... and one I will surely ask if they recommend more support, especially if they need to pull the slab to properly build the support. Not Happy.

• mini_bottle
    12 years ago

Your granite is lovely. Nicely done! I like your proposed backsplash too. Your color choices are rich and warm and make for a very inviting kitchen.

• NewSouthernBelle
    12 years ago

NYSteve - what did the granite guys end up saying? Is the island supported well-enough? Did they tell you any rules-of-thumb that you can share?