Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
twogirlsbigtrouble

Negatives of white/cream cabinets...

twogirlsbigtrouble
15 years ago

For so long I was sold on natural hickory for my cabinets. I loved the natural beauty of the knots, etc. Then I decided it was too much and so I was thinking a natural maple or very light glaze maple. I was going to do full overlay with recessed panels in the doors and drawers.

Well....I keep seeing these kitchens with white/cream cabinets, black hardware, beautiful soapstone/granite, chandeliers, etc. It's drawing me in. I dont know what it is. Seems romantic or something. I never would have thought in a million years I would have liked white!

The look I was going for in the new house was craftsman. I love stone and natural colors, materials. Love slate, dark woods, etc. We are doing white trim everywhere though, and Im hoping I dont regret that (carewise). I just love the way the white makes colors pop. I want the house to have a comfortable feel, not cold and pretentious.

So, do you think we could incorporate this type of kitchen? I was planning to use black hardware on the cabinets and faucets. And really, what are the negatives of white or cream. Is it hard to maintain? What about children and showing dirt? Is it better to go with a glaze?

And what is with these inset cabinets? Why am I drawn to these as well? Are they generally more expensive than a full overlay? Are there certain things you cant do with an inset?

Thanks for your input ;)

Comments (33)

• rhome410
    15 years ago

Inset: more expensive and you lose some room inside...over frameless, at least.

White: You might not want it on the peninsula where little (and bigger) feet will kick it. People say it shows dirt, but then it's easy to see what needs cleaning, so there are 2 sides to that one. Would you rather hide a little wear and dirt or be able to know your kitchen is actually spotless?

Part of it depends on the finish type. My SIL has a very high end house with high end cabs with baked on white finish. The white is chipping off. If anything scratches the cabs (like she scratched one with her ring), the paint, over time, chips away from that spot, getting larger. We used oil enamel on our painted cabs and don't know whether it would do the same, but I'm thinking not quite as bad.

One option if you want to have white is to have a select amount of it, rather than having it everywhere. Maybe have a cream colored island or hutch for your dishes.

It's funny that I was always a 'wood cabinet' person, but kept being drawn to white kitchens, also. I couldn't ever feel that I'd be at home with all white or cream cabs, so I started to figure out why those particular kitchens were impacting my heart. It was the homey, baker's kitchen type feel to them. I looked for other elements that were common, like the inclusion of a wood counter or butcherblock in the room. It was the light, the welcoming simple and casual style that looked like it would accept all who entered. It was the kitchens that looked like they'd have bread baking in the oven and pies cooling on the counter...Like a bright apron hanging over a chair back wouldn't look out of place. So, is it the 'white' you like, or is it the kitchen atmosphere of the rooms you're drawn to? And is there another way to accomplish that without white?

The other thing people here have mentioned is that painted cabinets are often more expensive than a wood finish.

• sarschlos_remodeler
    15 years ago

I'll be the heretic on this thread. That darned white kitchen with dark counters is EVERYWHERE right now. And I do mean everywhere. I admired it when I first saw the movie Something's Gotta Give, but I have to say, it's getting boring.

Do it if you must, but I would much rather see an unusual craftsman style kitchen than yet another white and black.

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

I just want to add to rhome's comments about children and white cabinets ... although I think it's anything and white cabinets! (doesn't have to be children and doesn't even have to be alive -- when we're away from the house stuff still happens) Dust, water drips, newsprint, greasy fingerprints, they all show on white cabinets.

I have two little boys (four and two), although gender has nothing to do with it, and our beautiful (I think) white kitchen shows it all. So does our beautiful (I think) black island. Go figure. I'm of the camp that I'd rather see it and be able to clean it than suspect it's there but not be able to attack it. But that's me. Additionally, I don't attack everything right away: I actually find my angels' chalk marks and sticky fingerprints endearing, but I'm a big sap.

I love rhome's advice about really thinking of what is drawing you to the white kitchens, because it might not be the white itself. Or it might be! But to really look at those pictures you've collected and think what makes you want to be there.

As I wrote, I have a white kitchen and every single time another GW member posts pictures of their white / cream kitchens, I still get that deep sigh, my eyes glaze over and I get all dreamy ... and I have that kitchen myself! It's totally nutso, I know, but there is something about a beautiful white / cream kitchen.

• rhome410
    15 years ago

every single time another GW member posts pictures of their white / cream kitchens, I still get that deep sigh, my eyes glaze over and I get all dreamy

It's funny that I could say that, too, but at the same time, know it wouldn't be 'Me' to have one of them. I just get to enjoy living vicariously through all the beautiful ones here while walking into something completely different in my own.

• rosie
    15 years ago

It may have been hit already, but the big negative is that it doesn't allow dirt to build up unseen into that nice warm comfy sticky crust that is the hallmark of so many wonderful old kitchens. :)

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hmmm...

Well I definintely fear the grime factor with white. If I did it, I would probably pick a glaze. Would that help?

So if I was to mix cabinetry (gasp), could I do the bottom cabinets natural or glazed maple, maybe the island white, and then all the top cabinets white? Am I allowed to mix door styles or is that against the rules?

sarschlos_remodeler, Yes I wonder if Im just buying into a trend. I want my kitchen to be unique AND beautiful.

I do get that swept away dreamy feeling when I look at these white kitchens, just as you describe. If I could mix the cabinetry, maybe it would be the best of both worlds? But I want to make sure it doesnt clash and its done right.

• honeychild1
    15 years ago

twogirlbigtrouble, I loved you posting this and you being torn between the two. See, I'm torn too. My DH and I have been in our new home 6 months and our cabinets are still raw wood. I've had white cabinets in my last two houses and that's what I really like/love. I planned to have them in this house too. (I have hardwood floors and black countertops.) However, EVERYONE that comes to my house says they can't believe I'm going to paint those beautiful wood cabinets. (Maintenance and a quality paint job aren't a problem as my DH is a paint contractor with his own business.)

• abejadulce_z9b
    15 years ago

>Am I allowed to mix door styles or is that against the rules?

I don't know. Which Kitchen Rule Authority do you report to? ;-p Since I'm paying the bills in my house, I'm the authority that has to be appeased.

Back to the OP's question - what is the downside to white cabinets? The answer to this question is not "I like it!" or "I don't like it because it's overdone!" I think that the OP is asking about the reality of living with the cabinets and is wondering what down points s/he should consider before going down this path. I could tell you why I chose white cabinets, but that wasn't what was asked.

The most consistent answer so far is that dirt perhaps shows more than on other finishes. For those that have a need to vanquish grime wherever it may lurk, this is apparently a plus.

My white kitchen isn't even complete yet but already I can tell you that white isn't just white. Once the mass of white cabinetry goes in you will become aware of a rainbow like range of white tones that already exist in your kitchen environment. If having everything matchy-matchy is important to you, it can drive you nuts.

So that's another strike against white cabs.

B

• erikanh
    15 years ago

I disagree about white cabinets being trendy, they are actually very classic when done the right way.

Try and find pics of mixed finishes like you're describing. I'm planning white cabs for my perimeter and a dark, richly stained wood for my island. I'm still undecided about countertops, but they'll probably be mixed: stainless steel around the cooktop and perhaps 2 different stones for the perimter and island. I have light colored hardwood floors that I may stain darker.

Most importantly, figure out what you really love and stick with that. I put beadboard on the walls of my great room and the contractor and my husband convinced me the wood was too nice to paint. Against all my better instincts I consented to have it stained. I HATED it. Guess what I have now?

• pluckymama
    15 years ago

I had white cabinets in our old house and I absolutely loved them. They do show more dirt than stained cabinets and I have had those as well. With my white cabinets I had to clean them, because the dirt SHOWS! With my stained cherry cabinets (they were beautiful too) I went much longer periods before I wiped them down.

For me, I felt really happy with the white cabinets. I don't know why. It just uplifted me to be in my kitchen. There was something about it that just clicked for me and brought me joy. For some, maybe that same feeling happens with a beautiful rich cherry, or a light clean maple, or warm homey oak. I think it's one of those things that you know, because you are drawn to it.

I am doing white/cream cabinets in my current remodel. The cabinets that we took down were cherry (I sold them on Craigslist). I know I will be cleaning my white cabs more often, but to me it is so worth it.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Oops, forgot one more thing.

I was told by one cabinet company that their beaded inset cabinets are less expensive than their plain inset cabinets which is great because that's what I prefer. The bead also helps conceal the gap around the doors/drawers.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Interesting...Im still listening.

It sounds like the white cabinets are like a love affair. I agree, they have to be done right to get that "feeling". I dont think your average stocked premade white cabinets can achieve that.

I know you can mix cabinetry in an island, but can you mix upper and lower cabinets? Different door styles? Anyone have photos for example?

I have been one of those "Oh no, dont paint the beautiful wood!" people all my life. I cant believe Im stepping out of the box. But like I said, it has just drawn me in. I love what you said pluckymama, how it uplfited you. The fact that several of you had them before and are doing them again is a good sign.

Will the painted/glazed cabinet hold up well beside the fact of getting dirty? Will the paint peel and chip easily? If I have more of an antiqued white glaze would it just give it character? And have you experienced yellowing?

• teddas
    15 years ago

I too am torn between the dreamy off white painted look and the choc brown dark stain cabinets. BUT I will mention that my cranberry-stained Decora cabinets have dings with the raw wood showing underneath. It ain't pretty and I don't know if that pencil touch up thingee will work. I don't know what to do when it comes time to sell this. I dread the look I will get when this happens, (and the dings will happen to all kitchens) in the painted creamy look.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Check out this previous thread with pics of differently colored uppers and lowers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Click!

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That was helpful erikanh, thank you :)

• oruboris
    15 years ago

The negative to me is that its just so darn trendy: you can call it 'timeless' or 'classic', and I won't argue. When upwards of 4 out of 5 kitchens are being done in the same color, it's a trend, and far more common than the dreaded 'golden oak' was in the early 80's.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

In my opinion, just because this style popular, doesn't make it "trendy" in the sense that these kitchens will look dated any time soon. My grandmother had a painted white sideboard that came from the house she grew up in. If you go into an antique store you will see many white painted furniture pieces. Classic materials like marble and hardwoods are very popular right now, but I don't think we would call them trendy.

I think many people are attracted to the white kitchen for the very reason that the style is timeless and elegant. All the designers I've read agree that they are classic. Quoting Susan Serra: "There are no ifs, ands, or buts...white is a classic in kitchen design, and its interpretation seems to continually reinvent itself over the decades."

I'm not saying that white kitchens will always be as popular as they are right now, but I think that a white kitchen designed correctly will stand the test of time much longer than other styles.

• shelayne
    15 years ago

I know you can mix cabinetry in an island, but can you mix upper and lower cabinets? Different door styles? Anyone have photos for example?

I am doing beadboard panels on all my base cabinets and plain panels on my uppers, with the exception of some french-style glass doors on one side of my kitchen--does that count? I will also have the BB on my island/peninsula which will be painted a contrasting color. I have no photos at this point.

• melrosgirl
    15 years ago

I love the look of white cabinets. Built a home last year and paid extra for the white. I had no idea that white would be an upgrade, but I guess it is. Most people in my neighborhood have dark cherry, so I laugh when I hear that white is trendy. It's not. It's classic. I had dark cherry wood in my last house and wanted the open, air feel that white gives.

Downside? Yes...one downside is that any imperfection will show up. The darker stains hide them. Yes dirt shows up, but that's a good thing. My cherry cabinets were filthy all the time bc I did't "see" the dirt and splatter. They were gross. My white cabinets are clean.

• rosie
    15 years ago

That point raised about usually having to find a way to work with more than one white is a significant one. In many cases, a designer will avoid a mismatch problem by using a whole range of various whites, which can have a very nice and relaxed result, like an old home that's developed over time would have. Using stainless steel appliances instead of white is another way to dodge that bullget, or covering them with paneling.

White has never been out of style during my adult life, any more than wood has, although variations in glazes, creams, and woods have their moments of excitement. True classics, both of them.

• afr66
    15 years ago

I really debated between white and stained cabs and ended up going with stained. That was more as a compromise with my hubby who HATES painted cabs than anything else (I happen to like both). When weighing the pros and cons the biggest cons with white were dirt showing and the difficulty of matching paint when chips/scratches occur (this is actually more of an issue if the cabs are glazed). Also, you will see seams in the paint where the cabinet parts are joined (that wasn't a con to me, but it might be to some).
    I think white painted cabinets are timeless although I wish we saw more variety in the kitchen mags which really push this look right now. I don't think any classically styled kitchen will look dated over time (my sister's cream kitchen is 13 years old and still looks very current to me). Of course this is just my .02.

• bellaflora
    15 years ago

I found white kitchens as the most difficult to get right. All those pristine surface made the smallest wrong details pop. You have to exercise much more restraint and control with a white kitchen. You can't just add any junky decorative pieces or be liberal with colors because they will stand out.

I like wood cabinets in a Craftman house. It feels warmer, more earthy and more authentic. My impression of A&C house has always been cozy, dark, organic. It would be weird IMO to have a 'something gotta give' kitchen in such a house.

• erikanh
    15 years ago

Very true ... does the OP have an A&C house?

• mmme
    15 years ago

I also find the "painted white cabinets is trendy" line sort of funny. I feel like all I see in my area are stained cherry cabinets. And with two KDs who tried to talk me out of painted cabinets, I really felt like I was bucking the system when I put my foot down and ordered them anyway! :-)

It wouldn't shock me if they turn out to be trendy in retrospect, because I make no claims about having a flair for originality in design. But I don't care because they're beeeeyooootiful.

As for maintenance, I also worry about what I'll do when there are scratches and dings, but as a friend points out--that's the beauty of it: they can be repainted. Matching the color shouldn't be too much of a problem; just remove a door and have a good paint store do a color match. It may not be 100% perfect, but it should be darn close.

And so far, cleaning has not been a problem. I've been living with a different (rental house) painted kitchen for 6 months now, and I actually like that I can see dribbles and fingerprints. It's nowhere near as bad as I expected, even though I have young kids. And, like so many here have said, if you can see the mess, you can take care of it.

The only problem I've had so far is that it seems really hard to find just the right backsplash tile. I wonder if it would be easier if I wasn't trying to match/work with a paint color.

• modesignfan
    15 years ago

In a recent visit to an upscale "tract" of new homes, it seemed every single kitchen had the obligatory creamy-white glazed cabinets, swirly granite, wood floors, contrasting color finish island, sage green, poppy or gold painted walls, subway tile or bold mosaic backsplash, pendants, etc....the rep said that it was what people wanted today and was "safe". They certainly are beautiful, but it would be shortsighted to think that these won't eventually look as dated as anything else that was deemed "classic" in the past, like whitewashed oak or golden oak with ceramic tile counters and white appliances...

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    15 years ago

Gosh, around here everything has the mandatory alderish colored wood cabs, beige/brown/orange granite, and stainless, whether it sells for $200K or $2,000, 000. I wish white would make a comeback in this area, since I totally prefer it.

• sayde
    15 years ago

There is a combination of materials -- call it the SGG paradigm --which has been picked up and is used everywhere -- white cabs, dark counters, dark wood floors. Oh, and maybe an apron sink and subway tiles thrown in there too. And no wonder, it's a great look. But if you pick up a shelter mag or book like "Great Kitchen Ideas," Dream Kitchens" you will see riffs on the white kitchen such as various tonalities, glazes, interesting hardware, great big thick butcher block islands, teak counters, steel counters, travertine floors, terracotta floors, painted floors -- there are myriad ways to "season" the basic bread of a white or off- white kitchen. There are certain elements -- fabulous as they are -- that will make a white kitchen appear dated. Such as subway tiles. I'm having them installed in my bathroom as of this very moment!!!!! But, I do feel they are going to be seen as "of the moment" in ten years or so, just as some of us are starting to look at granite and feeling that we want to do something "different" in our kitchens.

I completely resonate with the comment about " OH must not paint that lovely wood." I go back and forth, wanting to be sensitive to the natural beauty of the wood, feeling that I want that lovely clean all white kitchen. I'm not sure if those of us who get the white kitchens are those who succumbed to the kitchen porn, or those who were strong enough to stand up for their own desires against the wood grain preservation police!

• redroze
    15 years ago

I feel that one of the main negatives of a white kitchen is just how much scrutinization and criticism it gets! My mother-in-law is so against it as she has never seen a white kitchen and assumes it's unpractical, just as white jeans or a white sofa are unpractical I guess. Then there are comments from others and people on the forum across the board from all angles - A white kitchen is too hip, too overdone, too classic, too boring, too unpractical, too high-maintenance, too predictable.

For the record, I live just outside of Toronto (a hip, fashionable city) and have never seen a white kitchen here. We've also been to a few neighbours' homes (people with grown families) and friends' homes in other neighbourhoods (younger people just starting out) and we are the first people to get a white kitchen!! So I consider hubby and myself to be "progressive classicists". Yes, I just made that term up now and have no idea if classicists is a word. ;-)

That's my rant for today!

• redroze
    15 years ago

Another point I wanted to add is that I really don't think magazines are "pushing" white kitchens, I think it's that white kitchens stand out so much that it's what you remember. I can randomly flip through 10 of my kitchen magazines (or kitchen special editions) and probably 10-20% of the kitchens are painted white, and the rest are either stained wood or the euro-style laminate.

It's like this debate I had with hubby over a car. I could swear that he picked too common of a car (make and colour) because I would spot them EVERYWHERE and had trouble finding our car in the parking lot as there were always "clones". He told me to focus on another car and lo and behold, they were everywhere too! I did this with two different cars and found the same result. I think it's when you zone in on something then you are bound to see it "everywhere".

• mdmc
    15 years ago

You asked about the glaze. When we remodeled our kitchen 2 1/2 years ago we went with white cabinets with a "VERY SLIGHT" glaze. The cabinets are inset bead . The glaze is mostly on the edges and and details of the cabinets. I love it. All cabinets will get dinged at some point in time. I think the glaze helps give the cabinets the look of age and helps hide those little dings. I am very happy I put the glaze on them. I don't notice the little dings as much. I will also add the glaze fits the style of my kitchen, as I do not have a contemporary kitchen.

• mamadadapaige
    15 years ago

two girls,
    just wanted to chime in... I absolutely love the craftsman style and have many magazines and books featuring it. I also LOVE inset cabinets and had to have them in my kitchen.

With inset, you lose some interior space, but it is a streamlined look and if it is what you are after, I would say to go for it.

My idea for you is to combine Quarter Sawn Oak and Inset Cabinetry... it will give you the craftsman look you are after while keeping you within your original plan of a wood look. Quartersawn white oak provides a very clean look as opposed to some of the knottier woods.

Here is a pic to illustrate my point of the craftsman look you can attain with this choice:

Also (again), it is just personal, but to me, the first question was inset or not-inset, then white or not white. To me, inset is a great way to go (imho).

ps: i got talked into off white cabinets by my husband (in the end I am happy)... it is a safe choice, and a nice choice, and VERY easy to live with, but you have to go with what your gut is telling you.

• twogirlsbigtrouble
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I love the inset cabinets... I mean REALLY love them. Im just not sure we will be able to afford them. Im meeting with the builder tomorrow, so I will ask.

Our kitchen will have no direct windows, so I think white cabinets would hep with keeping it bright. I may try to mix. Ive seen photos of kitchens where a certain feature like the cooktop cabinet or the hutch or island is a different color than the rest of the cabinets. That may be a nice touch.

mamadadapaige - See, I love insets. Soooo pretty :)