Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alin04_gw

Look weird? Upper cabinets different color than lowers?

alin04
15 years ago

I've seen many kitchens where the island is a different color from the rest of the cabinets and I love that look.

However, our KD recommended that since our island is somewhat small (compared to the rest of the kitchen), that instead of just making the island a darker color, to make *all* lower cabinets darker.

We have chosen to use Omega Dynasty cabinets. Darker color is chestnut. Lighter color for uppers will be butternut.

Will this look weird?

Comments (12)

• sunnyd_2008
    15 years ago

Do what you are comfortable with,
    as they say on here "it's your kitchen"
    Look at magazines or see if the designer has pics or a job site you can go to with that look.

• paulines
    15 years ago

I think it's a great look *but*, I'd prefer to either bring the wall cab color down or the base cab color up in a piece or two.

• scubated
    15 years ago

We are also installing Dynasty cabs. We are doing oyster on the uppers and cherry on the lowers. We also did oyster cabs on two lowers that flank the range to bring in some of that color to the lowers. Our large pantry cabs are also cherry so that brings up some of the lower cplor into the upper field. So I think mixing it up is the way to go if you want to do two tone. I wanted painted but tried to avoid that due to the fact that we have 2 dogs and I didn't think it would hold up well so I wanted wood on the bottom. HTH.

• 3katz4me
    15 years ago

Weird is certainly a matter of personal opinion - my opinion is that this would be too weird for me. If I were buying a house I'd be disappointed if I found this look in the kitchen. Though it's somewhat popular at the moment, I think it's one of those things down the road that will make people say - what were they thinking??? But everyone needs to choose what they like based on what their priorities are and what's pleasing to their eye.

• jenanla
    15 years ago

Personally I think it will look great. One of my favorite kitchens in the FKB (linked below is Aktillerys). Stained base cabinets and cream uppers.

I am also in the process of building and will be doing lots of mixing, both with color and door styles.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mixed cabinets

• budge1
    15 years ago

I don't think it will look weird at all, but I may be biased. Our island is black like our base cabs and just visible in the foreground. I think you have to go with what you like and not worry about if it will be dated in 5 years. I love the look of a different colour island, but everyone is doing it right now so I'm sure that will date a kitchen in the future too.

• budge1
    15 years ago

Here is another example from a thread on the decorating forum.

Here is a link that might be useful: iwantakitchen's kitchen

• rmkitchen
    15 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

A man I really like (and his partner) designed this kitchen and I think it looks FABULOUS!

• alin04
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooh, all those pics are gorgeous. Our two colors aren't so contrasting, however, so it will be a bit more subtle. Ok, I think we'll go ahead and do it.

Thanks for all the replies!

• rosie
    15 years ago

Budge and RM's kitchens are great examples of how this look can work great. Both kitchens are nicely grounded by the dark cabinets and opened up to appear more spacious by the light uppers.

Things like cabinets of different colors and heights don't work after the initial fad has passed if they were only introduced as visual gimmicks and don't fulfill a genuine decorative function. But stepping outside the standard box in favor of one that's actually the right fit for your space is often needed to get the best kitchen possible--which is always one that makes you glad to be there.

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I would have thought it looked weird until I saw the examples above, and I think it looks very nice. I do, however, think it looks best when the top and bottom colors contrast a lot. I think a subtle difference between the two might look almost like a mistake.