Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

Seeking a quick 3rd opinion: choice of cover panel

mudworm
12 years ago

Thanks to all who helped in my previous inquiries (Thread: Please tell me which layout do you like better by a quick look?), we settled on a layout in the wood room we both liked that would work for both us and the cats. Now, We are nearing the end of installing the cabinets, and came to another decision point that we could not make up our mind on. Should we use a cover panel (matching the cabs) or a countertop (matching the lower one) on the top of the wall cabinets that go up to the window?

Here is the over all look (no longer a SketchUp 3D model). Please focus on the two sample covers above and wall cabinets and ignore everything else esp. the window, which will be replaced in three weeks.

Option A: Here is a close up view of the same counter top on top.

Option B: Here is a close up view of the cover panel on top.

Thank you! In the mean time, my DH and I will continue to working on installing the hardware now.

P.S. I just asked my DH to proofread my post (I rarely do that but he happened to be sitting there). He asked, "so, is that DH 'dear husband' or 'dam husband'?" (Note: I inserted intentional typo to comply with FCC rule.)

Comments (14)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I prefer option A

• Kode
    12 years ago

Which one is tougher? I'm thinking about cat claws. When cats jump down their hind paws tend to slide a bit on smooth surfaces so there will be scratches. Jumping up their front claws might dig in a bit. Plus there's always those kodak moments when the cat misses the jump, flops to the floor (clawing all the way down), then walks off with the "I meant to do that" attitude, nose in the air, looking supremely unconcerned...

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

That was quick! Kode, the countertop is no doubt tougher, but we don't worry about that part. The cover panel can be replaced. Plus, in the long run, we'll put a comfy cushion on top that fits to the size. Aesthetically, which appeals to you more?

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kode, I laughed a bit when I played the "I meant to do that" image in my head. Usually, our cats start grooming themselves whenever they miss a jump as if they totally meant to terminate that jump just so they could clean themselves. Hahaha...

• blfenton
    12 years ago

I like Option A. It just looks more special.

• Kode
    12 years ago

LOL, yeah, the "pfft, I meant to do that because there's this patch of hair that's just not laying right and I gotta fix it now" thing is classic cat behavior.

I like option A, both upper and lower surfaces done in countertop looks more unified to me.

• malhgold
    12 years ago

I like option "B". For me, I don't like the look of a countertop material where you wouldn't be using a counter. However, I think either choice would look very nice. It's not really like you can make a mistake here.

• marcydc
    12 years ago

Man that was fast! July 2 you were in sketchup and July 9 they are installed?

I like the B option too :)

• Adrienne2011
    12 years ago

I like option A. It might make a nice plant shelf, too. Assuming the cat wouldn't knock a plant over.

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

I prefer the countertop. It looks more unified to have both tops match.

The cabinets look great BTW!

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I much prefer the cover -- looks too matchy-matchy otherwise; very 1980's somehow. (Not that there's anything wrong with that! ;-) ) It's warmer, too.

In a frenzy of sibling rivalry gone awry, either of our cats will miss a jump/hit a wall and then go tearing after his brother and take it out on him. We've learned to differentiate real battles from pride-saving feints.

• dianalo
    12 years ago

I like the counter on top but would like it even more if the top part could be thinner and more like the cover panel choice.

• blfenton
    12 years ago

circuspeanut; LOL; sounds like our cats. Our cats are indoor cats except for our front deck which is completely self-enclosed with railings. When we were doing our renos we decided to extend the kitchen which meant taking in only part of our front deck. Couldn't take in the whole thing because then where would the cats go for their outdoor break?

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

I like the cover. The countertop looks fine, but it's a countertop. A countertop should go on top of a counter. You've got a cat lounge going on up there. And it's too matchy-matchy for me. Oh, and the cover on top makes it look more like a piece of furniture. Whew.

All this talk about cats jumping makes me realize the fun I've been missing out on since we're down to only one cat now, and he's too old too jump up on anything. His favorite spot to sleep is on the bed, but I have to lift his fatness up there at his bidding. I love that old guy.