Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mudworm_gw

Please tell me which layout do you like better by a quick look?

mudworm
12 years ago

My DH and I have different opinions on these two designs. We could go either way but in the mean time, we have our own preference. I really would like to hear a 3rd opinion. Between the following two layouts (with subtle differences that I will explain at the bottom), please tell me which design do you like better by the first look?

A:

B:

The only difference (or what I'd like you to focus on) is in the right hand side tall cabinet in this wood room. In Design A, the center cabinet is 36" wide, and it's a 24" tall cab on the right side. In Design B, the center cabinet is 30" wide; thus a it's a 30" tall cab on the right side. With Design B, the window is almost centered in the opening formed by the tall cabs on both sides, even though the window is not centered along that wall.

A? or B? TIA!

Comments (26)

• remodelfla
    12 years ago

I prefer A

• scootermom
    12 years ago

I prefer A, aesthetically. I find that single door more restful to the eye than the double, smaller doors. While neither is totally symmetrical, A has more symmetry than B.

Now, whether that cabinet setup is more practical for your purposes, I couldn't say. Is this part of a kitchen? Is there more?

BTW, I think the cat looks happier in A, too. ;-)

• flwrs_n_co
    12 years ago

I like the cab fronts in A, but the almost centered window in B. For layout A, if you make the cabs on the far right slightly larger (maybe match width of 2nd row of cabs on left), maybe the window would be more centered in that layout.

• joyjoyjoy
    12 years ago

Can we see it straight on?

• John Liu
    12 years ago

I like B for the centered window, if you give it the single doors of A, which are consistent with the doors on the left. If I had to choose between A and B as they are, I'd choose A.

• Mercymygft
    12 years ago

I like A better... B seems too busy to me.

• megypt
    12 years ago

I like A better, bigger cabinet seems more restful.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow, my DH has better design sense then. :) I'm okay with that.

Here is the straight on look:

A

B

• detroit_burb
    12 years ago

I like A better, I know you didn't solicit this comment, but I don't like the bump forward in the top middle section that the cat is sitting on.

What is this wall of cabinets for?

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

Well, I am with you... I like B much better. It looks prettier to me. But hey, seems we're in the minority!

• rhome410
    12 years ago

The not-centered window over a group of cabinets that has been designed around a symmetrical/centered idea (you have a 'center cabinet' but it's not aligned with the window) will really bug you, as it will be what stands out...At least I strongly think so. I'm not always big on symmetry, but this calls for it. If you want an asymmetrical arrangement, get rid of the center cabinet design. But I think the uneven wall space on each side of the window will always look weird. Have you thought of doing a tall cabinet on only one side?

So, of these choices, I'm with you and NatalieChantal, and B is the winner.

As for looking 'busy,' remember that when it's not a line drawing, there will be no black lines on the cabinets, and much of any busyness will blend away.

• northcarolina
    12 years ago

I like B better now that I see it straight on. The window looks off-kilter in A. I'd have to put a plant or something on the right hand side, or a window treatment that extended over the wall, to camouflage the asymmetry if I had an A in my house.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Symmetrical window position is important.

Don't like the staggered depths on those middle cabs at top, though--agreee with NatalieChantal. Also, the height of these cabs seems to crowd the lower edge of the window--there is no feeling of graciousness when seen from a distance.

Is there a functional counter surface between the top and bottom unit here or just an odd continuation of the horizontal surface below the center of the window which will collect dust and always look odd? You can't set anything there because the opening of the doors will disturb it. If you really want the center unit to be uniformly deep all the way up, remove that countertop within the unit. Put in two countertops, one each side of the middle unit; the middle section I think should have an identity all its own.

Have you considered some open shelving in this unit to cut down on the "wall of cabs" phenomenon?

• dee850
    12 years ago

Head-on, I also prefer B. If that's the view that you'll have most often, then I think centering the window is the way to go.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Sorry, my earlier reply had to be briefly because I had to run (literally) to get the ice cream before the little market closes. Thanks all for chiming in!

We designed these cabinets out of necessity. We live in an old house with very little storage space and no garage. We have a hard time utilizing this room because it is a central hub for traffic inside the house with openings to all the other rooms in the house. We figured we would put in a wall of cabinets for storage without it getting in our way.

Now, detroit_burb, I know what you mean about the bumped out center wall cab. It's also giving me headache because now I need to deal with two exposed sides, but I cannot put panels there due to space constraint. However, it's also done out of necessity. The wall cabs are set back because the cats need to be able to first jump on the counter top. The center cab is bumped out because it will provide a much larger platform in front of the window (30x24 in design B) for them to comfortably cuddle together without worrying about rolling off the edge.

But you just got me thinking though. Maybe I can use three 12 deep wall cabs flush and bump them all out by 6" inches. That way, cats still have a 6" counter top ledge to jump up to, and the platform will be 18" across the entire length. (I will have a cover panel on top of the wall cabs anyway that extend to the wall to support the cushion.) Now, I just need to check with the cats if they are okay with that.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Forgot to mention that this picture window is our cats' favorite vintage point. Before the remodel, we had an old dresser under this window and multiple levels of storage boxes sitting on top to the window. I had put a cushion there. Guess what, everyday I came home, the first thing I saw were the cats through the window. :)

Sorry, can you tell that I'm cat obsessed? :)

• dee850
    12 years ago

I love that you're designing this with your pets in mind! I think that having the platform 18" deep all the way across would look better. Hope that's good for the bosses :)

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

I like B better.

• mudworm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Again, thanks a lot to everyone for sharing your thoughts. Below layout is what we settled on. I know it's by no means the best design, but it will be functional, and it required compromises from all parties involved (yes, that includes the cats too).

The wall cabs are bumped out 2 inches. With the cover panel covering the doors and slight over hang, the cats will have a 15" deep platform. The counter top in front of the wall cabs will be about 11" deep, which is what my DH wanted ("to set things down on").

Good night and happy 4th everyone!

• joyjoyjoy
    12 years ago

I think if you swapped the two cabs on the left it might look a little more symmetrical. So the wider one is on the end. Or you could do the 30" cabs on either end, and hang a curtain that hides where the window ends to make it look centered.

• breezygirl
    12 years ago

Great choice! Love it. (As I read your OP, I preferred B also. No, really I did.). :)

• NatalieChantal
    12 years ago

Love your final decision - and that you are thinking of your kitties!

• scootermom
    12 years ago

You know, once I saw it straight on, I definitely preferred B. But I love your final design best!! My family has two cats, and they regularly sit in our windows -- our neighbors comment on it all the time! I do like joyjoyjoy's suggestion about the doors.

Enjoy all that extra storage!

• detroit_burb
    12 years ago

Mudworm, If you are buying IKEA, and those three center/base cabinets are 30" wide, you may also ask for them to order it with one 30" wide drawer on top instead of two 15" drawers, if you wish. this is an IKEA approved modification that you cannot specify on the design software

• catherine_l
    12 years ago

Love your final design, but also agree with JoyJoy's comment above.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Consider wiring two sconce outlets symmetrically to flank the windows. Or a light centered over the window. Also put an outlet or electrical strip along the back edge of the upper shelf. Allows holiday lights, etc. or a light for display or for eventual tv or something, should the cats not be involved over time. Easier now than later. Also a phone outlet perhaps at lower shelf area or on side of cab?