Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
beth

Too many Shades of Grey! Which one did you choose?

beth
9 years ago

I thought selecting the white for my cabinets was challenging. Conestoga frosty white. Now I'm trying to find the right shade of grey for the kitchen walls. BM Revere Pewter looked perfect at the paint store, but in my kitchen it looks very brown. Others appear too blue or too green. Or too light, too dark, too dreary. I'm feeling a little stuck and am interested in learning which grey might have worked for any of you.

Comments (14)

• Susan St. Pierre
    9 years ago

You just have to try some in your actual space because there is no way to know otherwise. I also thought revere pewter would be perfect for our living room, but it was terrible. It looked like mud. We ended up with Benjamin Moore Pale Oak. Abalone was a close second choice. Both are a step lighter than revere pewter. For more of a true (cooler) gray, people like Gray Owl. Even though you have to pay for paint samples, it's worth it in the end to put some up on the actual wall in a few different places.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

Samples, but still it'll be tough!

I chose a wonderful Glidden 'Natural Wicker' that I lived with for a couple of months. Now, on the walls, I'm afraid of it's peachy pink. It's a nice color, thank goodness, but just not it.

I am also doing Glidden's 'Natural Linen" and 'Natural' other places, but the grays I want I think will still elude me.

I am sure you're not planning on just picking a swatch in the paint store, are you? Do you have fluorescent light in your kitchen? As you can see, it's important to paint the samples all over the place and see it in different light.

It's PIA.

• rococogurl
    9 years ago

I had a heck of a time with grays. Finally went to Farrow & Ball's Pavilion Gray which is a classic that was just perfect. It's a premium paint that has an excellent surface in eggshell or matte.

Some say it can be color matched but I haven't been happy with that in the past when I tried it. And I feel the paint is that much better -- provided it's the right color. But they have an excellent range of grays and some called white which are actually gray.

• Laura
    9 years ago

We chose BM Pashmina and are very happy with it. Doesn't go too brown, and doesn't pull green/blue. You can see some pics if you follow the link below. Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: MadsMama's finished kitchen

• Bunny
    9 years ago

I'm in the same boat, only for my bathroom. I'm looking for something light, not mauve, slightly warm, but not tan. I am usually anti-blue, but I would consider a slight blue undertone if it looks fresh, not cold. I could also tolerate a tiny green undertone. Gray Owl is a pretty color, but it's green.

• beth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

susielovestopaint - Gray Owl is one of my choices!

CEFreeman - I am having led lighting in my kitchen.

I find it amazing the way cabinet, countertop and paint samples change their "complexion" in the actual room, and at different times of day. I bought sample pots and painted them onto sample boards because long ago I learned the hard way that what looks good on the little swatch looks very different in a big space. I once thought I was painting my bedroom pale terra cotta only to find Miami Dolphins orange on the walls. But you are correct, grey is proving very elusive. I have also tried to complement the grey with Antique Lace - too yellow, Linen White - maybe, but meh, etc., etc. All choices so far look good with the Frosty White, but not in the room itself. Ditto countertop samples. It is daunting.

(Plus, I am a wreck over assembling the cabinets this weekend. You are my hero CEFreeman. I have read and re-read your posts. Can't find anything on youtube about inset drawers, but that's for another thread. I was thinking of giving you a shout out about it.)

• beth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

rococogurl, Thanks for telling me about the Farrow and Ball greys. I have heard wonderful reports about their paint.

MadsMama - wow! Love your kitchen. Can't find Pashmina on the BM color wheel that I have, but it looks very nice in your photos.

linelle, I've also been thinking of a green undertone grey for my master bath, which is the next project. I'll have to take my sample board upstairs to see how Grey Owl looks there.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Excuse the pix as it's still a work in progress. I have SW Colonnade Gray on the perimeter walls and SW Agreeable Gray on the wall to the left of the tall pantry and stairway walls. I love the way Colonnade changes color with the light all day, and picks up color that is near it. I see a slight green cast, but my DH can't discern that. The Agreeable is more neutral and lighter IRL. I love them both. The trim is color matched to the cabinets and ceiling is SW Snowbound.

• Jennifer Franson_Hopper
    9 years ago

pasture19: can't help you with the color selection but we too are assembling our first two Conestoga frosty white inset cabinets this weekend. 30 more cabinets are on their way...it's scary exciting!
    Wishing you good luck this weekend and wih your wall color and excited to see your photos!

• beth
    Original Author
    9 years ago

You too, jhophop! It will keep us off the streets over the holiday weekend.

bbtrix - Beautiful combination. What is your countertop? Looks a bit like Super White in the photos.

• breezygirl
    9 years ago

I ended up with BM Nimbus in my kitchen (very little wall space) and family room. (Apologies about the light not being great today for this photo.)

Gray was extremely tough for me also. Weeks and weeks and hundreds of dollars on samples. I loved Gray Owl, but it was much too green in my kitchen with all the natural light. Looked great in the office, however, which has less light.

Best advice has already been mentioned. Buy a sample can of whatever you are considering and paint it on a large poster board or other large board. Move the board around in the kitchen at different times of the day and night to see the color in different lights. Good luck!

• calumin
    9 years ago

We brought home 12 samples and ended up picking BM Grey Owl. I remember that there were actually two Grey Owls - OC-52, which we chose, and another one called 2137-60 which we didn't sample.

• bbtrix
    9 years ago

Countertop is Montclair Danby Marble. What will yours be?

Breezy, nice colors! Yes, the poster boards really help to see the effects of light. I did several boards of the same color so I could put them next to each other in a corner.