Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished kitchen reveal (after 40+ years with the same kitchen)

Posted by MadsMama (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 9, 14 at 21:06

First, I want to express my gratitude for all of the priceless information that is available on this site. You are all so generous with your knowledge and time. After two false starts, the third time was the charm with our kitchen renovation. I live with my daughter and mother in the house I grew up in. My parents built the house 40+ years ago, and the kitchen hadn't been updated except for a few new appliances over the years.

I recently had some photos taken of my daughter at our home and decided to have the photographer take a few shots of the kitchen as well. So, without further ado, here are the details and photos. I am happy to answer any questions. Thank you for looking!

Cabinetry: Crystal Cabinets full overlay (in Bisque and Cherry with Saddle Brown stain)
Counters: Caesarstone Piatra Grey (perimeter) and Calacatta Oro (island)
Backsplash: Artistic Tile (Veneto Bianco)
Faucets: Waterstone 5600 (Polished Nickel) and Rohl U4759 (Polished Nickel) - air gap/air switches are Waterstone & Rohl, too
Sinks: Blanco Arcon (main) and Blanco Rondo (prep)
Pendants: Currey & Co. Regatta
Refrigerator: KitchenAid Pro 36" CD FD
Cooktop: Bosch 800 induction
Hood: Vent-a-hood 600 CFM insert
Microwave: Sharp 24" drawer
Ovens: Electrolux Wave Touch
Knobs: Restoration Hardware traditional clear glass (PN)
Pulls: Schaub Northport (PN)
Hardware on cherry hutch: Maitland-Smith by Schaub (Dove knobs & Sunflower pulls)
Paint on walls: BM Pashmina
Trim: BM Aura matched to bisque cabinets
Counter Stools: Crate & Barrel Oslo

photo ghdr_zpse5d97781.jpg

photo 093_HDR_zps2c7fb1ab.jpg

photo 088_HDR_zps16f0c159.jpg

Backsplash detail:
 photo IMG_1648_zps1f76071a.jpg

Hutch hardware detail:
 photo 20140322handheld_0045_zps509033ad.jpg

photo 20140322handheld_0062_zps3cb3893b.jpg

And one "real life" shot taken by me... :)
 photo IMG_2224_zps2883dea8.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Finished kitchen reveal (after 40+ years with the same kitche

Just beautiful!

As I was scrolling through your pics, I was hoping you included a close-up of your backsplash--spectacular!

o

stunning!

o

Where is your daughters pic though? J/k, gorgeous kitchen! LOVE those pendants over your island and the back splash.

o

What a beautiful kitchen. You must be so proud of it. I especially love the dark hutch.

o

Classy, stunning and elegant. You nailed it! Congratulations on a job well done. Wishing you another 40 years in your beautiful kitchen.

o

So beautiful! That backsplash is really amazing and works so well with your other choices.

o

Stunning! Enjoy it! :)

o

Don't know if these are new, but I LOVE the doors in your dining area! Are there 2 windows flanking the doors, or do all 4 open? Beautiful remodel, Mads!

o

Gorgeous! So well put together and i have to echo everyone else - the backsplash is amazing.

Enjoy!

o

It is SO pretty! You really paid attention to all the details and pulled it all together beautifully.

o

I love your beautiful new kitchen! The backsplash is gorgeous and the cabinets over the sink are a great use of space. Love the stained hutch.

o

This must be gorgeous kitchen reveal week. What a stunning piece of marble. I love your cabinet design with the wall of glass cabs & the cabinets above the sink window. Beautiful hutch.
You did good!
Great pictures, please share one of your daughter!

o

Ooh La La! I really love your kitchen! There's nothing too fussy about it, but it is unique and special. That backsplash is lovely & ties in so well with the lighting. Love your cabinet layout and the dark hutch.

Though my remodel will be more modest and in a different style, yours is the type of kitchen that inspires me to work at getting it right.

o

Wow, thanks so much for all the kind comments - it truly was a labor of love planning this kitchen (bordering on an obsession!!). I spent soooo many hours looking at hardware, faucets, backsplash options...well, you all get it!

@dccurlygirl - thank you - the doors are original and the middle two open. They let a lot of great light in the room!

Below is a link to a post I did 3 years ago with some pics of the original kitchen, just to give you a sense of the changes...a lot changed from the post in terms of our scope of work! Like I mentioned, we had 2 false starts on the remodel and finally got it done the 3rd time. It was the charm. :)

Here is a link that might be useful: MadsMama's original kitchen

This post was edited by MadsMama on Mon, May 12, 14 at 12:54

o

Absolutely beautiful! (Kitchen and daughter!)

o

What a fun pic of your daughter. She looks like quite the helper. Your kitchen is spectacular and that BS is WOW!!!

o

Charming, charming, charming. Wow!

Many congratulations on your beautiful kitchen and happy daughter!

o

What a beauty! And the kitchen, too! Love the backsplash, the shelving and the big windows. That tile is just stunning -- Artistic Tile is just fantastic. In love with your hutch, as well.

o

What a beautiful kitchen, and what an adorable daughter you have! That backsplash tile is just lovely, and I love the pendant lights and patisserie sign, too. The whole space is so elegant, but welcoming, too. Enjoy!

o

I love your kitchen so much! I love the backsplash and both counters! I just ordered a sample of the Caesarstone Piatra Grey since I loved Gooster's kitchen counters so much and now I see you used this for your counter also.

Your daughter is so adorable and could be a model! So happy she and you bake together and are close.

o

That is beautiful. So many great details. The backsplash is so lovely. Thank you for posting!

o

Wow.
You did the common white kitchen in a totally uncommon manner. Well organized, lovely materials, and enough "traditional" to last another 40-50 years. Long enough for your daughter to post a grown-up picture in 20 years, doing the same baking. She's adorable.

Congrats. Really beautifully done.

o

Absolutely stunning! Your kitchen is gorgeous. Congratulations on a job well done!

o

thanks for the beautiful pictures..Love the inviting feel of the French doors opening to your patio/yard, the open feel of the kitchen and the gorgeous details like backsplash, pendants, contrasting hutch,small display shelf on hood ,use of just a few glass doors on cabinets.So much thought in everything you chose...really exquisite!

o

Totally amazing! What a GREAT transformation! I love your choice of everything! Your daughter is beautiful and looks like a lot of fun too!

o

Your daughter is beautiful!

o

wow, i'd say it was worth the wait!

o

Gosh, that's so beautiful. Wonderful photos, even your own.

o

really beautiful and refreshing. love the mix.

o

That backsplash is great! Well done

o

How pretty! I generally don't like decorative backsplashes but in this case you really nailed it - it's harmonious with the overall look. Congratulations on your successful choices :)

I've been baking a lot with my daughter as well. She's 7 and really into it! It will be nice when I finally have a KITCHEN. We're mid-remodel.

o

Gorgeous kitchen, gorgeous backsplash, and gorgeous little girl!

o

Beautiful! Both the kitchen and your daughter. So much lighter and brighter!

o

Charming, beautiful, and downright AWESOME! I'm sure you feel it was well worth the wait. Enjoy! And your little girl is a cutie patootie. ;)

o

Love this kitchen, thank you for sharing and thank you for including the picture of your gorgeous daughter! So happy for you. The backsplash is just perfect as are all the accessories, the time you took to plan everything out really shows.

o

Lovely kitchen. I love the backsplash. It really works so well with your kitchen.

o

To die for, swoon!!! I adore your backsplash. I think I pinned every Artistic Tile backsplash on Pinterest and I'm so jealous (but happy for you)

o

Your kitchen is positively stunning. It is all that I love in a kitchen. We are in the middle of our remodel now, so I love these reveals, as they let me know that there is light at the end of the tunnel. I don't know where to start, but your marble made me swoon. May you have many happy and fun times in your gorgeous new kitchen. Oh, your daughter is adorable. How great it is to have such a wonderful little baking/cooking partner in the kitchen.

o

Wow! Just, wow! Wonderful! Congratulations! To another 40 years!

o

Wow, thanks everyone for the kind comments about our kitchen and my girl...baking/cooking with her is such fun! When selecting finishes, I was hoping to pick things that would stand the test of time - after this reno, I am pretty sure it may be another 40 years before I do another one! ;)

o

The backsplash...it's just hands down AMAZING! Love love love it. And who could resist the lovely smile on your sweet daughter's face? You have obviously created a lovely warm place for both you and your daughter (and your MOM!). Nothing better than making generations of family happy. Really--nothing better!

o

Wow. That kitchen is stunning (and your daughter is adorable!).
I am 1,000% in love with that backsplash. And the standalone piece done in the dark stain really adds some depth and uniqueness to the kitchen.

o

Both your daughter and new kitchen are beautiful! I really love your backsplash.
MJ

o

Thank you for sharing your finished kitchen pictures. Absolutely stunning!
Love everything you did, and your backsplash is to die for.

Enjoy the hours you'll spend with your mother and daughter cooking in there.

o

What color grout did you use for your very unique gorgeous backsplash? As I said before, I love your kitchen!

o

P.S. What height are your cabinets and then the cabinets above them and what is the height of your ceiling? I love the stackable cabinets! What color is your baseboard trim? I love the Bisque painted finish as it is so warm without being yellow. I really love everything about your kitchen as I said previously!

o

I smile to imagine the three of you in this fairy-tale pretty and also very practical kitchen. What a great place to "live happily ever after."
Love the picture of the little princess!

o

Gorgeous! Lovely kitchen. The backsplash tiles are so unique! Enjoy.

o

Thanks, everyone!

@lynn2006 - thank you for your kind comments. The grout color is Mapei sanded grout in Frost. We didn't want the grout to "pop" so we used a color that sort of blended with the BS rather than white.

The height of our uppers are 36" + 12" for the smaller ones on top. Although it's not a huge amount of space, it's perfect for displaying a few items in the glass fronted ones and storing infrequently used items like holiday tins, serving pieces, etc. in the others.

All the trim was matched to the Bisque color of the cabinets (baseboards, crown, ceiling, etc.) - we used BM Aura paint.

Hope that helps!

~ MadsMama

o

What a beautiful kitchen. I can only imagine how proud your mother is to have you making memories with your daughter in "her" kitchen. Truly the circle of life. It truly is stunning. I am so happy for you.

o

woweeeee! i just love it!!! that tile is top notch! want to see more!

o

It's a beautiful kitchen and home.

o

It's a beautiful kitchen and home.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here