Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Recessed lighting placement? X-post

Posted by CamG (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 14:03

I posted a similar question in Building a Home, and live_wire_oak was kind enough to even do a mock plan for me, but I still have some questions.

Below is the cabinet layout for the kitchen. We will plan on doing pendants over the island and over- and under-cabinet lighting.

I keep see conflicting things--should the cans be just about the countertop edge (26-30" from the wall) as I found on this guide, or should they be in the isle as live_wire suggested? I suppose with undercab lighting, isle lighting is not likely to cause shadows?

The other consideration is the we will have fairly dark burgundy cabinets, and I've read on here that recessed lights can light up cabinets really well. Will lights in the isle accomplish this? Thanks for any ideas you can give!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Recessed lighting placement? X-post

What's your ceiling height?

We have 9 ft ceilings and spaced our recessed lights 3ft from the walls. We don't notice that we cast a shadow onto the counter, so that works out. If you have lower ceilings, shadowing is more of a concern as you move the lights out past the counter's edge.

o

Oh sorry, I meant to write--we will have 9' ceilings. 3' sounds like a good compromise. Do you get some lights on your cabinet faces? Thanks.

o

We do get light onto our cabinet faces from the recessed lights, but our cabinet finish isn't high gloss, so it really does not come across as glare.

Our old lighting layout had the recessed fixtures centered right over the front edge of the counters. That left the aisles fairly dark. That is why I wanted to move them out a bit into the aisle. We did also add in some extra recessed lights, as a section of our kitchen had no overhead lighting at all. We ended up with a 4 ft spacing for our 6" fixtures. We also went with the Cree CR6 bulbs (EcoSmart brand from Home Depot). We are very happy with how well lit the space is now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here