Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hcbhatt

Peninsula layout with cooktop and seating

hcbhatt
13 years ago

We are remodeling our kitchen and have come up with idea of opening up the wall between kitchen & dining and adding a peninsula. Now, we do want to add seating in the peninsula but we do not like the concept of breakfast bar.

So I am looking for designs where the peninsula countertop is about 3 ft and has Cooktop in the center of peninsula and the other side being used for seating. Tried google/bing, couldn' find any.

This will be similar to an island having cooktop and seating without any b'fast bar.

Anyone having such kitchen? Any comments on how it will look and any cons you see in this design?

- Heena

Comments (11)

• numbersjunkie
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I'm sure Buehl will chime in and tell you that a cooktop on an island or seating peninsula is BAD, BAD, BAD. In this case, I agree with her because you will only have 12" of counter between the cooktop and the seating. I think you need 18" MINIMUM.

Not sure what you consider the difference between a breakfast bar and a peninsula? Is a breakfast bar a raised area as opposed to a single level counter? Not that it makes much difference in this case, but a raised bar may provide a little bit more protection for the seating area. probably .

• Buehl
    13 years ago

OK...you're probably not going to like what I have to say and you probably don't want to hear it...but this way you'll be warned and you won't be able to say that no one told you...

First, if you want a cooktop in a peninsula (or island) with seating then you need one that's 48" deep...not 36". Think about it...if you have steam from boiling water, grease splattering, smoke, etc. wafting across the peninsula...do you really want someone sitting across from it????

You really need 24" behind the cooktop for a "safety zone" to protect your visitors.

You also need to be sure to have 24" on the side w/the end of the peninsula.

Next, how do you plan to vent your cooktop? Speaking from very real experience...downdrafts do not work very well, including telescoping. I had heard from some people hear that telescoping ones work at least for pots/pans right up next to them and a few inches shorter than them...but my experience this week so far has been that even those don't work very well...at least not the Dacor in our rental house (paired up w/a very nice Dacor gas cooktop...the cooktop I really like!) So you really need an overhead range hood.

There are more and stronger air currents over/around an open space like a peninsula or island than against a wall...so you need a bigger & stronger range hood...at least 6" wider than the cooking surface and 27" deep.

That bigger/stronger hood will also be a commanding presence in your kitchen as well as block the "view". Oh, and island hoods are generally more expensive b/c they're finished on all 4 sides instead of 3. Plus the added expensive of venting from a non-exterior wall.

Last, why do you want the cooktop in the peninsula? Is it the absolutely only way to make your kitchen function effectively? Is it for the "view" or to visit while standing at a hot cooktop w/hot food?

If the former, then I might say OK...with the appropriate precautions & venting.

If the latter, then know that kitchen work studies have found that... 70% of the time spent/work done in the kitchen is prepping
    20% is spent cleaning up
    10% is spent actually cooking

So, if it's for "visiting" or a "view", what does it make the most sense to have in the peninsula? The Prep Zone! Also, when I'm cooking, I watch what I'm doing...it's the last place/time I want someone distracting me...especially if you have a gas cooktop (flame).

Sorry I'm so adamant...but the past 2.5 days have made me even more against a cooktop in a peninsula w/inadequate safety zones, inadequate workspace, and very ineffective venting!

Post your layout...see if we can find you a better location for your cooktop! (And, remember the kitchen work flow... Refrigerator --> Prep Zone & sink --> Cooking Zone & cooktop --> Cleanup Zone & sink/DW...that's the flow to strive for in your kitchen layout.)

Here is a link that might be useful: Read Me If You're New To GW Kitchens!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

LOL Numbersjunkie, you know me too well!

The raised bar (42" high) we have in our rental this week is approx 15" deep with a 9" clear knee space overhang and it's definitely not adequate! I've already had to shoo people away from the counter b/c they were too close to the flame while I was cooking plus the steam from a pot of water completely ignored the downdraft it was next to and merrily billowed out and across the seating area. All the raised bar seems to do is give people a false sense of security and hide the flames (out of sight/out of mind)...so even more dangerous than a single level.

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

What about an island with an electric stove/cooktop? I'd like to have a pot rack over it, so a vent could be there as well. I know I won't use gas, because I live in the country and there is no gas line.

The island could be 4' deep (I have the room) but not a lot of wall space, since I have the refrigerator and sink are on one wall (with a large window) and the oven/microwave on the other, with a doorway to the walk-through pantry. The doorway is at the end of the baking area, closest to the fridge wall. The other two sides are open to the dining area and seating area.

The fridge/sink wall is about 14' long and the oven/microwave baking area is about 7'. I really don't want my stove on the sink wall, since it would be seen as you walk in the main room...and I'm a messy cook! In fact, a raised area on the island might be a very good idea. This is still in the planning stages, so nothing is set in stone :)

• lavender_lass
    13 years ago

Heena- Sorry to ask on your thread, I should have started a new one!

• eandhl
    13 years ago

I had an island with a range and the back side with seating for 2 for years and loved it. My present kit was to small for an island and I miss it.
    To the poster that is in the country if you want gas do propane. We have it and I love cooking on gas and during power outage.

• canishel
    13 years ago

I have a peninsula with slide-in range with the hood venting to the outside. But the peninsula extends from an outside wall, so the venting works well.
    Some of the benefits of this set-up include easier cleanup (don't have to reach across the range to clean a backsplash, can walk around to clean), don't have to look at a wall when I can look through a window at the end of the room, and maintain conversation while cooking (I don't like others in the kitchen when I'm working, nor do I have to turn my head to talk). Prep area is between the range and the perpendicular sink; minimal steps.
    However, I don't have a eat-at or sit-at bar, merely a 10 inch bar. That's what the table is for.

• tkln
    13 years ago

We have a peninsula with a gas range and hood. Our overhang ranges from 12-15" in an arc...we don't have kids in the household so no issues there...and guests have sat behind the range while cooking and we've had no problems (though full disclosure, it hasn't happened often). This was the layout that worked best for us, though I will admit that frying fish does result in a smelly living area, even with the hood going full blast!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

lnersesian...I suspect most hoods would have a tough time with frying fish! Your kitchen looks great and while I would rather have that extra 9" (for 24"), at least the 15" behind the cooktop is far better than the 9" and 12" I've seen mentioned.

• tkln
    13 years ago

Thanks Buehl! I know range in island is not a great option, but it was what worked best for us for various reasons. I'm hoping my next kitchen will have a nice range wall as a focal point! Ironically, you can really notice the difference between the corners at 12" and the middle at 15"...I wish we had done 15" all the way.

• hcbhatt
    Original Author
    13 years ago

All, Thank you for inputs. We evaluated many layouts and then finalized this idea of peninsula. Now since we are planning seating around the cooktop, we will take care of keeping good overhang. I will post details once we decide.

The idea is that the seating will be used after cooking work is done. Also, we are vegetarians so fish smell is not a concern. I cook dinner everyday, spend at least an hour in the kitchen area and I think this open layout will really give me time with family.

lnersesian, thank you so so much for sharing the pic! peninsula in my kitchen will be very similar. So this certainly gives better idea.

We have the white cabinets in place, appliances ordered during labor day weekend.... and now in process of ordering granite for the countertop.

My question is - what is your opinion on the thickness of granite countertop? 2cm or 3cm? I have read several posts on this forum and still searching.

thanks again!