Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linda_ross8133

Perfect cereal bowls, juice glasses, mugs....

Linda Ross
15 years ago

I use my Wedgewood dishes everyday for meals and have a set Waterford for formal occasions but want a more casual "breakfast" dishes. Who has the perfect bowl for cereal? Most bowls are too small or if you put berries or banansa on top it won't fit, or the shape isn't right. Any ideas for juice glasses or coffee mugs?

Comments (21)

• hokie98
    15 years ago

I love just the basic white bowls from Williams-Sonoma, or similar places. I wish when we picked out our everyday china (which was when we got married), I had gone with something basic like all white. I bought some shallow bowls, about 8" in diameter from Pottery Barn that I love for soup and salads. We also have the picardie glasses by Duralex that W-S used to sell. We have them in 4 sizes, and LOVE them. They're pretty durable, and have the sort of plain, european cafe sort of look to them. I also used to love that when on an occasion we broke one, you could buy them separately at W-S, but was disappointed to learn that Duralex in France isn't making them anymore (I think they actually when out of business). W-S is carrying a similar glass now, see the attached link below. If you live near at W-S or PB outlet, check them out. Alot of times they have similar products for less.

Don't have any tips on coffee mugs. We have a set of nice mugs that my MIL gave to my hubby before we got married.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Williams Sonoma tumblers

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

I saw on another site that World Market is selling the Duralex Picardie glasses -- apparently both on their website and in the stores. The site, I think it was Apartment Therapy so you could probably search there, said that World Market doesn't say they're Duralex but the glasses are stamped with the Duralex logo/name.

• cindyinsocal
    15 years ago

I recently replaced my everyday dishes with white porcelain dishes and could not be happier. The are oven, microwave, dishwaher safe and have a great classic look. My husband even commented on how much better the food looks on them. I was using beautiful italian dinnerware, but he says he could never really see the food! Another benefit to porcelain is htat there is no possibility of lead in the dishes. I have a friend whose son had lead poisoning from dishes bought at a large retailer.

Sur La Table, Williams Sonoma, etc all carry them in different styles. I also noticed this great deal at Costco.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: Great Deal on Porcelain Dinnerware

• mitchdesj
    15 years ago

I love my rosenthal Loft dishes, basic white, they have assorted bowl sizes, I got 2 sizes and use them both equally.

if you could see them in person and pick, you'd know what would be useful for your needs, I'll measure mine later.....

Here is a link that might be useful: loft dishes

• Jean Farrell
    15 years ago

I'm thinking of getting these fun Emma Bridgewater cereal bowls. My kids will love them. I just got Emma Bridgewater canisters, and I love them.

Here is a link that might be useful: Emma Bridgewater

• beachbum
    15 years ago

All of my dishes are hand thrown pottery. I had the pieces made to my exact specs. :)

• tonilynne
    15 years ago

At the risk of sounding gauche, I must confide my love for Corelle. It's practically indestructible, and Kmart has open stock with nice, deep cereal bowls. They are the best cereal bowls I have ever used. They are deeper than the standard ones that come with the sets, so you have to either find a Corelle outlet or a store that sells open stock. I bought mine in white; simple and easy, and they go with everything. Ha.. who am I kidding. I bought the white Corelle plates too! *LOL* I also have the Memphis pattern, which is very bright and cheerful.

I have porcelain china for special occasions. I have had Pfaltzgraff stuff for everyday which didn't last long enough. It didn't even make it past our 5th wedding anniversary. So, I ended up going with Corelle, and I haven't broken a thing since I got it almost 5 years ago.

• mcps
    15 years ago

I bought a set of white porcelain "cafeware" from Pottery Barn in 1995. They are still perfect to this day - which is kind of aggravating because it'd be fun to get something new! PB doesn't make them anymore - but you can get them at cooking.com:
    http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=121008

• kpekitchen
    15 years ago

We have this set from Ten Strawberry Street. It's really pretty, just the right size, and holds up to the abuse of my 6 & 3-year-olds

• ma-bookreader
    15 years ago

I vote for Corelle too! So, you are not alone tonilynne.

I like them for several reasons. I have several children and (try as they might!) they have not yet succeeded in breaking any. I can not say the same for the first set of dishes (basic ceramic) that we had.

The other reason is that we have lots of exteneded family so it's handy for me to have 2 dozen dishes on hand for the large family gatherings. Corelle plats are so thin that a stack of 24 dishes takes up very little space.

They are quite affordable and I think they look nice too.

Bonus. :-)

• sw_in_austin
    15 years ago

Nearly 25 years ago we bought white porcelain dinnerware by Apilco (a French company) at Williams Sonoma (there a couple of styles; I think ours is the Tradition).

We use these dishes every day and for the last 14 years they were washed by hand (until a month ago with the connection of our new dishwasher!!!). They have lasted through the childhoods of our two -- now teenage -- children and in that entire time we've never broken one and I believe only one piece has chipped (and the chip is impossible to see because the body is white clear through). They're not cheap but really indestructible. I can see a few scratches on some of the more heavily used pieces but beyond that they're as good as new.

• teddas
    15 years ago

I love my fiestaware. I have it in the colors of my home/kitchen. They have taken some abuse and I do find that Corelle appealing, may have to go and get a set!

• hollylh
    15 years ago

Juice glasses--check out the Rings glasses at Crate and Barrel--the smallest size, although I think the other sizes are good too. 95 cents apiece!! My kids use these everyday, PLUS they were so cheap I copied a friend of mine and bought eight dozen for a Christmas party one year. We use them for wine and champagne, bistro-style, and I love that we are not using paper that will just get thrown away. It's a little investment but have a few parties and they will pay for themselves :) plus they fit in the dishwasher much more easily than wine glasses, and are easier to store. (They also stack, another plus.)

For bigger glasses I like the "working glasses" from Crate and barrel, and probably other places too:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=150&f=1693&q=lids&fromLocation=Search&DIMID=400150&SearchPage=1

You can buy lids for them and use them as refrigerator storage. It's nice when something has two functions and isn't plastic :)

Here is a link that might be useful: Rings glasses

• janran
    15 years ago

How about these cereal bowls form Crate and Barrel outlet. They're on sale for $2.95 each. And they match holly's rings glasses.

Crate and Barrel soup/cereal bowl

• amysrq
    15 years ago

I collect blue and white china and DH loves our Japanese noodle bowls for cereal, yogurt and lots of fruit. I have been buying Japanese dishes at Marshall's for about six years and they are extremely durable.

The latest addition to my collection came from Anthropologie. I got some small (rice sized) bowls in varying colors and patterns to use for fruit or ice cream. The larger size is what we like for cereal.

French cafe au lait bowls would work, too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Larger cereal/noodle bowls

• cheri127
    15 years ago

The perfect cereal bowl, in my opinion, is what I would call a French latte bowl available from Anthopologie. We use them for cereal, ice cream, berries, soup etc. They are fabulous!!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Perfect bowl

• taliaferro
    15 years ago

For bowls and coffee mugs, try:

Heath Ceramics
    Pillivyut
    Apilco
    Revol Culinaire.

I also recently discovered beautful Provence pottery by Jars Ceramics, which is lovely.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jars Ceramics

• jbrodie
    15 years ago

Take a look at these mugs that you can order direct from a ceramic artist (I always like to support artists if possible). If you like a modern look, these mugs are super cool. We love the feel of them. They fit perfectly in your hand and are so beautiful. They also look really nice when stacked, and the saucer also fits on the top to keep your coffee warm.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beautiful Mugs

• redroze
    15 years ago

Our glasses are Luigi Bormioli; really good quality, stunning to look at, and affordable. I believe our drinking glasses are from the Parma collection.

Luigi Bormioli

• morton5
    15 years ago

Posted this elsewhere today, but I am a fan of Niagara Ceramics. They are food service dishes only available through restaurant supply stores. The 18 oz. nappies are awesome cereal bowls. They come in several styles, from traditional to contemporary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niagara Ceramics

• wallycat
    15 years ago

Cereal bowls are from Crate and Barrel....I don't know if they make them anymore, but I love them. PERFECT.

My everyday plates are a mix of all the colors of Fiestaware.