Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swfr

Finalizing plan and moving into the details

swfr
10 years ago

The builder I am working with has now been sent these plans that were created thanks to the help of many thoughtful GWers. I wanted to show what I settled on and hope to get some feedback on the more nitty-gritty of what kind of drawers, cabinets, etc. to now incorporate as I move forward.

I am particularly curious to see what people will recommend for the top left corner where the sink and stove walls meet.

Also, is it possible to put a trash can in my prep area underneath the sink?

The DW corner has a bottom and top cabinet where I expect to store all of our everyday dishes, silverware, and glassware. Do you think that's feasible? And is that area going to be convenient for unloading the dishwasher or will it be too crammed together? Should I just do a full-length cabinet there?

The plans are now at the builder's draftsman's desk getting officially drawn up, so if there are any problems I'd love to sort it out ASAP.

I'm super grateful for this board's wisdom.

Comments (14)

• LoPay
    10 years ago

You have a nice plan. The only thing I would reconsider is the placement of the prep sink. Would having it centered on the island chop up that work area?

• aokat15
    10 years ago

Hi swfr - I saw your previous thread where you got to this kitchen and had a few comments. Feel free to take them or leave them... but I'm wondering if you should consider tweaking the powder room, mudroom, pantry area to flow better from the garage. I'm wondering if you could do a mudroom that comes off the garage and flows into the pantry so that you can easily get groceries in there. Also, I don't love the fact that the pantry wall juts into the breakfast area - I'd prefer more of a straight line off the kitchen into the family room, but maybe that's just me looking at it on paper and it would be fine in person. Lastly, have you thought about windows on your stove wall as well? Happy planning!

• debrak2008
    10 years ago

The area marked junk. Is there counter there? If so it will truly be a junk collector.

• blfenton
    10 years ago

What is the planned width for the corner storage to the right of the DW?

Trash - For my own usage - the clean-up sink usually has a lot of wasted space under it. I would put the clean-up trash under the sink (there are pull-out systems that will fit) and that will free up the corner for a lazy-susan or another bank of drawers.

For your trash system - what kinds of separation do you have to do? We have cardboard, newspapers/flyers, glass/metals, general garbage and now composting. The composting recycling went into effect 6 months after our kitchen was done and had I known it was coming into effect I would have planned our recycling/garbage differently. So think about what kind of separation you need and where you are most likely to put it all.

I agree that the area marked junk will become a junk area. What is your plan for that small area. You probably won't be writing out grocery lists there but have a plan for it. Charging station or message board with a family calendar or what. Again how wide is it? How about a pull-out broom closet.

How do you like the plan given that the smart people here had you move your kitchen?

• blfenton
    10 years ago

Attached is a thread that is currently on page 1 and one of the posters had posted her before/after pics. What it shows is a small area to the left of the fridge that is a junk area in the before kitchen and then a full height cabinet in the after kitchen. The after is just a little nicer looking. Hopefully no one will mind if I show you.

Here is a link that might be useful: andreak100 thread

• lavender_lass
    10 years ago

It looks very nice! Just a few small ideas/questions. Is the small area on the other side of the fridge a pull-out broom closet or pantry...or something else?

Have you decided no windows on the range wall? If not, then I'd definitely make part of the cooking storage (closest to main sink) dish storage. If you want more windows, maybe dish storage in the breakfast area, on the pantry wall? I don't think you have enough room, in that small cabinet.

Also, I would move the prep sink down about a foot closer to the fridge. You would still have room on each side of the sink, but your sink wouldn't be directly lined up with the range, in case someone is rinsing off veggies, from the fridge.

Last question, can you move out the back wall of the dining/family area a few feet? Maybe even with the front of your dishwasher? It would give you room for a hutch on the dining/pantry wall...and maybe that walk through pantry. That was great! :)

• taggie
    10 years ago

Great layout!! Looks like a super-functional kitchen.

I will echo that is you can budge the prep sink down a bit it would be nicer. You don't want it on the corner, but ideally you want as large a space for prep to the left as you can get. If you push it to the right such that you have say an 18" cabinet to the right of it, that would give you just enough landing space for the fridge while maximizing your prep space to the left.

Yes you can put a trash pullout under your prep sink. You just need to ensure the cabinet maker and plumber are in sync on the plan. Here is a pic of ours undersink pullout:

• rikerk
    10 years ago

Taggie

What is the lenght of your breakfast/coffee counter area. I love it evertime I see it.

• swfr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Taggie-- thank you. That's exactly what I was picturing. And you do have a gorgeous kitchen!!! What are your counters and who made your cabinets?

• taggie
    10 years ago

Thanks rikerk! The total area including coffee machine and appliance garage is 7' 3"' and the smaller full-countered in between (ie, from spoon rest to towel holder area) is 3' 6".

swfr, thank you too. The cabs were made by a wonderful custom shop called Concept Cabinets in west-end greater Toronto area. The counters are Caesarstone chocolate truffle.

• desertsteph
    10 years ago

"a mudroom that comes off the garage and flows into the pantry so that you can easily get groceries in there"

does this mean you go through the garage into the mudroom, then through the pantry before entry to the kitchen or FR?
    I wouldn't like that at all.

Maybe the 'junk' cab is for the junk drawer(s) - like a few tools, scissors, tape, batteries, flashlights etc. If the drawers aren't wide, you might need 2 for that stuff.
    Putting the calendar there and charging station would be good.

• berryjam
    10 years ago

Hi Taggie!

Sorry to hijack your post, but I'm also in the Toronto area and wanted to see if you have and good referral for gc, kd, architect, etc. love your kitchen. Thanks.

Jamie

• taggie
    10 years ago

Jamie, my main contractor was Matt Hastie, MH Paramount Construction (mhparamount.ca). I can't recommend him highly enough, he was excellent! Perfect craftsmanship and he is completely honest and trustworthy. I didn't use a KD or architect as I didn't move any walls. The layout was designed from help on here, and the cabinet maker filled in the fine details. Feel free to pm me if you want any more info.

swfr, so sorry for the hijack. To get your thread back on track I have a recommendation for your corner where the sink run meets fridge. IMO you can't do any better than mamadadapaige's beautiful kitchen.

Her layout is quite similar to yours re. the fridge and stove run and the expanse of windows over the sink running near to the corner. I love what she did with her space:

Link to her full reveal below if you want to check out her details.

Here is a link that might be useful: mamadadapaige's kitchen

This post was edited by taggie on Sun, Jul 28, 13 at 18:46

• swfr
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my goodness. That kitchen has so much perfect inspiration in it, I can't thank you enough Taggie. I have already selected that exact same backsplash and planned a herringbone pattern above my stove even! It is gorgeous. And that is a great recommendation for that corner.