Return to the Kitchens Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Finished kitchen soapstone and quartzite

Posted by Shareher (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 17, 12 at 9:29

We are finally mostly done. Thanks to everyone for their input, particularly for the layout and countertop selection.

I'm going to post a few pictures sequentially because this seems to be the easiest way.

Perimeter counters are soapstone.
Island counter is white quartzite.
Island paint is SW porpoise.
Cabinet paint is BM revere pewter.
Range is Bluestar (love it!)
Kitchenaid dishwasher and fridge.

So nice to have a kitchen again!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: another angle

Another view of the kitchen

o
RE: range and backsplash

Range and backsplash

o
RE: island

Island

o
RE:one more view

One more view--trying to show the three pairs of glass front cabinets

o
RE: small spice rack

Small spice cabinets on either side of range

o
RE: new bar area

This is a new small bar area under stairs, connecting the kitchen and living room.

o
RE: Finished kitchen soapstone and quartzite

What a BEAUTIFUL kitchen! You can tell you spent so much time on the details! Your colors are perfect. I also love the spice cabinet. Genius!

Emjoy!!!!!

o

Just lovely. I particularly like the hood, the bar area, and the spice cupboards. Very creative use of the space. Congratulations!

o

Gorgeous! love the colors and how the island picks up the stainless without being too obvious. Great choice of materials and use of space. Nicely done!

o

Beautiful kitchen! I love both your countertop choices and the island color is great. You must be more than thrilled to be cooking in that kitchen:)

o

It turned out beautiful! Love the color combination and the white quartzite! Enjoy!

o

Lovely. Very elegant and well done. This is the second quartzite I've seen on here in as many days and it's gorgeous...

How exciting for you to have such a beautiful kitchen...

o

Simply gorgeous! Love all of the well thought-out details. The tile behind the cooktop is beautiful! Enjoy the move back in. I am working on my "move out". It is reassuring and exciting to see these beautiful finished kitchens. Hoping to be on the "other side" in a few months. (Hope the stress doesn't put me on the real "other side"!)

o

Beautiful! Breath taking! Who made your cabinets?

o

I just love it--the colors, the layout, everything. The island is truly stunning.

o

I love your colors!

In this the picture below, it seems that wall cabinet is a shade of the peninsula color. Is it actually the Revere pewter? And do these two colors show the hint of green IRL my monitor shows?

I forgot to mention I LOVE the colors in your carpet!

o
RE: cabinets and paint

Thanks to everyone for your nice comments.

Berardmr: We used a local cabinet maker in Houston to make the cabinets. He is a real craftsman and did beautiful work. He also helped with some of the design elements (designed the hood, glass front cabinets, island etc).

CEFreeman: There are 4 different colors in the room. Island is SW porpoise, cabinets are BM revere pewter, walls are BM sea pearl (an off white with gray tones), and trim is a white to match the trim in the rest of the house. Funny after obsessing so much about the other colors, I don't know what the white is. The camera probably shows more green than is there. The island reads gray with some brown undertones. Glad you like the rug. It was the front hall rug in our old house, which didn't fit anywhere in our current house. I decided to try the kitchen, and I think I like it too. The colors are a bit different that the rest of the kitchen, but I was hoping that it warmed the room up. I'm still not sure if I like the color of the bar stools against the island and might repaint them black. They were also repurposed from the old kitchen.

o

Shareher, your kitchen is beautiful! I love the gray island and your lighting. Can you share which white quartzite you used? it is really lovely.

o

Love your kitchen, but I especially love your mantle hood.

So unique and well-done.

Very nice.

o
Quartzite

The quartzite is white macaubus. It seems indestructible. Love it!

o

Just beautiful! Did you also refinish your floor? And, if so, what kind of wood and what's the stain/color?

o

I love everything about this kitchen. The attention to detail is wonderful!
Diane

o

Beautiful and the colors are gorgeous.

o

It looks beautiful. The spice cabinets are so clever.

o

It is soooo nice! Can we see a picture of that nice bookshelf area over by the table?

o

Love your kitchen! The colors, the natural light, the OTR niche (and I'm not usually a fan of OTR accents) -- it all works together to make such an inviting space. Congrats!!

o

What a lovely kitchen. I love all the little things like the spice doors, the niche, and the hall bar. Your quartzite looks more like granite than most. Very pretty.

o

What variety of soapstone did you use? It doesn't look like there's any veining!

It's a beautiful kitchen.

o

Wow, Shareher -- this is a stunner! Can you tell me how long your wall is, from the wall oven all the way down to the end of the counter?

o

Love the spice rack compartment! How clever. A gorgeous, gorgeous kitchen! I love it. Congrats!

o

Really beautiful, enjoy it.

o

Really, really nice - love the little spice cabs, the substantial island legs & that bar area - terrific! Are those pullouts flanking the range? If so, could we see them open? Thanks & big congratulations!

o
RE: answers

Thanks for the comments. We are really enjoying the space.

To answer the questions:
Kathryn606--the floors are oak and were stained to match the rest of the house. don't know the name of the stain.

nan53--I'll post a pic of the bookshelf when I get home tonight.

chiefly76--the soapstone is Mariana from Walker Zanger. It is fairly quiet but it does have some veining. I'll try to get a picture of it tonight.

Dccurlygirl--i"ll measure when i get home. The whole kitchen is 28X13 to the beginning of the bay window. I would guess the length from the oven to the end of the counter is around 18 feet but I'll double check.

JBGB--yes, they are pullouts on either side of the range. I'll get some photos tonight. Very convenient.

o

Your kitchen is beautiful! What kind of soapstone is that? I would like a darker more black soapstone as opposed to green and it seems that your is leaning toward more black. Do you like the soapstone so far?

o

oops! I saw that you already answered the question. Thanks!

o

I was wondering what was behind those little doors under your hood...What a great idea !
Is your beverage center fridge only for wine? or will it chill pop, milk, whatever? What width is it? Brand?

o
RE: wine cooler

The beverage center is a 24 inch kitchen aid wine cooler. It is designed with two zones for red and white wine, but we also store a few sparkling warers, sodas, and beer in there.

o

Shareher, I have been waiting for these beautiful updated pics. It turned out so well. the counters are beautiful, it looks so homey, you did a great job with the colors, and the extra details like the mini bar and hutch off to the side.very thought out and beautifully done! great job!! Michelle

o

Shareher, it's gorgeous!! I love the colors and the warmth of the whole space. It looks comfortable and inviting. I love the little cabinets by the range. What a clever added sneaky touch! Are you just loving your kitchen so far?? Don't you love the WM quartzite? We've used ours daily for the last few weeks and have spilled all over it. Everything just wipes right off! I love it! You should be proud. Your kitchen is beautiful.

o

gorgeous!! spectacular job. I love the beverage center idea under the stairs! what a great use of space!

o

You have a beautiful kitchen, Shareher! Do you mind telling me what kind of lights you have? Also, how high is your ceiling?

o

Absolutely gorgeous!

Can you possibly share any info about your runner? It's beautiful!

o

Thanks again for all the compliments. The light fixtures are from rejuvenation with the schoolhouse shades.

I'm afraid I don't have any useful info on the runner. I bought it years ago from a turkish rug salesman at a friends house. It was in our front hll at our ooh house, but I think it has a new home in the kitchen. Im glad it's not tilting in the attic anymore. No other spot for it in this house.

o

a beautiful kitchen!

o

Love this! I love all of your nifty storage spaces and love the bar.

o
RE:nan53

nan53--here is a picture of the bookshelf, as promised. Please excuse the lack of landscaping in our back yard. Still a work in progress.

o
RE: pullouts

And here is a picture of the pullouts on either side of the range. The first has taller shelves for oil and vinegar.

o
RE: pullouts

And a pullout with three shelves on the other side for spices.

o
RE: soapstone veining

this pic shows the veining in the soapstone.

Also--ceilings are 8/2 feet.

Counter run is 19 feet.

I think I am caught up with questions now. Heading out to pick up a snorkeling mask for my son. Leaving for vacation on thursday! :)

o

Stunning! Those spice racks rock. And love that tile behind the range - what is it?
Happy cooking :-)

o

Thank-you Shareher! Hope you don't mind if your kitchen goes in my inspiration file!

o

Really nice kitchen. You have nice taste.

o

Gorgeous! I love soapstone with quartzite! So timeless, you will love that forever! Enjoy!

o

It's fantastic! I love the shelf behind the stove. Is that pennyround? Very nice.

o

It looks beautiful! Especially love your quartzite and your bar area!

o

absolutely stunning!

o

Really, really, really gorgeous! You must be thrilled...such lovely colors and those details are exquisite!

o

Wonderful work. Thank you for sharing!

o

Your kitchen is gorgeous! I love the little range side cabinets for spices.

o

Beautifully done! Love it all. Great color choices too.

o

Absolutely beautiful!
Now another cream color to run and sample. It looks fantastic in your kitchen.

Love the spice pullouts and shelves, very convenient. And the soapstone, I didn't know Walker Zanger carried it!

Congratulations! Enjoy!

o

Love the island in particular!

How are you liking the sliding window above your sink?

o

Very beautiful kitchen and such attention to detail! really like the backsplash area and spice cabinet tucked near the range! The whole wall and bank of windows/glass cabinets is soo lovely! Enjoy for many years to come!

o
Backsplash

Some of you have asked about the backsplash. It is Walker Zanger 6th Avenue in white gloss 3x6 with penny rounds behind the range.

Heathero- the sliding window is ok. It's too hot now to have it open. It's one of the items that we recycled from the old kitchen because it was relatively new. It's easy to open, but I sometimes need my husband's help to close and lock it. Right now it faces a fence so I need to add some hanging baskets or landscaping. The back yard is my next project.

o

Dear Shareher,

Thanks so much for posting pictures of your gorgeous new kitchen.
I can't decide what I like best -- the gorgeous quartzite top on your island, the soapstone counters, the warm and beautiful blend of greige painted cabinets, or the pleasing symmetry of your breakfast bay area. Most of all, I love how warm and calm your lovely kitchen feels. Congratulations on creating such a beautiful space.

o

Wow! How beautiful is your kitchen!! I think that runner works great and gives the space a pop of color. Everything works so well together.

o

CEFreeman: Revere pewter has green in the formula. In my home, it has a definite green tint. :)

Beautiful kitchen! Love the rug too!

Congrats!
Kim

o

Shareher, I love the way your kitchen looks and feels! It's very much waht I am hoping to achieve! I was truck by your little under-stairs bar area, as we have a very similar spot, and I think this would be the perfect use for that space. Can you tell me any more about it, with general dimensions, maybe another photo or 2, head-on? I know you are leaving for a trip, so no hurry :)

Thanks so much, and congrats on a beautiful new space!!

o

Congratulations on a really lovely kitchen! Everything is so spacious and appealing. Your organizational storage pullouts are great. I like your little spice cabinets on either side of the range and have tucked that idea away for my reno plan. Those would be so handy.

Enjoy!!

o

LOVE IT! The details are wonderful and seem well thought out.

o
RE: bar under stairs

Hi home4all6,

Thanks! Sorry for the delay--we are just back from vacation. Here are some pictures of the bar and how it integrates.

o
RE: bar connection to living room

This photo shows how it connects between the living room and kitchen.

o
RE: front hall

And a view from the front hall. The bar is about 4 1/2 feet across.

o
RE: oops

oops. Here is the photo.

o

What a lovely kitchen - congratulations!! Love the soapstone, painted cabinets, color choices, lighting, but especially the spice cabinets and the niche over the range. And the pulls you used on your upper cabinets - I which I had thought of that before installing knobs. Must be fun to spend time in your new kitchen!

o

What a gorgeous space- I love it all but those pullouts next to the stove have to be my favorite:)

o

awesome, awesome, awesome! I just love it--thanks so much for more pictures!! I'm linking to it in my thread right now :)

Here is a link that might be useful: my layout

o

Hi S-her. Your kitchen is lovely! I particularly like the "refreshment" built-in; wonderful way to keep munchie prowlers out of the kitchen overnight.

The spice cabinets gave me an idea (soap & towel cubbies beside the sink *grin*). I'm going to share these pics with our GC, who started out as a finish carpenter. He'll understand your pics better than my explanation LOL

Thank you for posting. Congratulations!

o

I'm glad to see this thread back around again. Such a perfect kitchen. OTK, move over!

Thanks for the color clarifications, all. I'm saving this thread, because I stupidly lost it the first time.

I hope you didn't paint the stools. On my monitor they look perfect!

o

Shareher, your kitchen and your home is gorgeous!! Love all the finishes. You must be delighted !! I keep revisiting each picture!

Thank you for sharing. I will ck in w/you about how you like your Blue Star range, as I am also considering it.

Best to you and congrats!!

o

Shareher,I fogot to ask what are your room dimensions? I love that you have everything aligned against the one wall. I am trying to figure out if I have that kind of space. Also, what is the size of your island?

o
Re: answers

Go_figure01: thanks so much. The room is 13x28. The island is 3.5x9. I like having the work zone protected by the island. I can prep, cook, and clean up without my kids or guests underfoot. The other side of the island is where guest congregate, and it is also the main walkway from the back door to the rest of the house. So far, it is working great. I also am very happy with the bluestar range. The powerful burners boil water very quickly and the low simmer burner is great for rice. I've also been impressed with how even the heat is over a large pan. I think it does a wonderful job of evenly browning meat. The broiler is also great. No complaints.

o

Shareher, I was in the mountains with no Internet and I missed your kitchen. So glad I didn't miss it now. It is really pretty and I love your colors too. What a beautiful kitchen you have created.

o

This is a delight for my eyes and mind. I love the proportions and colors, the details and hidden goodies. What a pleasure it must be for you to work here, stopping occasionally to stroke a surface or smile at an afterthought that has proven itself worthy.

Your kitchen is beautiful visually and functionally. Really a pleasure to look at and think about.
Thank you for sharing.
Sandra

o

I am glad somebody bumped this because I wasn't hanging around here much during the initial post. Absolutely beautiful, and looks like it fits into the house perfectly. I love the details such as the valance over the window mimicking the hood, the way the beverage area fits into the little nook under the stairs. It manages to look fresh and new but like it always existed, roomy but cozy, at the same time (if that makes any sense).

I also love the house and would love to see more. I love that ceiling in the entry with the doors curved to match.

o

BEAUTIFUL Kitchen! Your colors flow together seamlessly. The woodwork and cabinetry is so simple yet elegant and classic!
Love the rug!
I would love to know what color your kitchen is? And what color your hallway is? I really like the hallway color!
Also where did your lighting come from?
Enjoy! And congrats on creating such a beautiful space!

o

Thanks ejbrynon. The hallway is Sherwin Williams kilim beige. The kitchen lighting is from rejuvenation and the front hall fixture is from schoolhouse electric. The kitchen walls are BM sea pearl. Kitchen cabinets are BM revere pewter.

o

Love LOVE everything, especially the island color and countertop!! Beautiful job.

o

So happy this was bumped, I missed it the first time and it's too stunning to be missed. Absolutely gorgeous. Congratulations and may you enjoy it for many years to come!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Kitchens Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here