Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
remodel_mama

rear drain in sink - does it matter?

remodel-mama
13 years ago

Hi all - sorry if this is a repeat. I thought I posted this questions last night, but I can't seem to find it now.

I am trying to decide on a kitchen sink and am wondering about the drain placement. I am planning to have the trash can under the sink (36" base cabinet), so I want to have as much room under there as possible. Should I pay the premium for a Franke sink with the drain in the back? Will it make a difference? What are the advantages of having the drain in the back vs in the center?

I really don't care about brand name for the sink. I am currently looking at:

Franke Oceania OXX110 ($656!!)

http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/OXX110.html

and the Ticor S112 ($196)

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Ticor-Undermount-Kitchen-Sink-Stainless-Steel-16-Gauge-Single-Bowl/3666381/product.html

Thoughts? Advice?

Comments (8)

• weedmeister
    13 years ago

Disposal? You might need extra room depending on the model

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

I think what you are paying $656 for with that Franke Oceania is (a) the Franke name (and nameplate on your sink for a little bit of bling) and (b) the Integral Ledge. There are so many rectangular SS sinks on the market with rear drains that the drain does not affect the price. However, it's not as easy to find a sink with the ledge. If you want that ledge, you'll likely have to pay the exorbitant cost. Unless someone on this forum may chime in with another sink with the ledge that is cheaper.

IMHO, the 18 gauge SS sinks should cost no more than than $375. And you can find really good ones in the $200 range on eBay or overstock.com. Often they're 16 gauge, even better. These companies charging $600+ must be laughing all the way to the bank, since very good sinks can be had for a lot less, but you won't have the name brand.

We definitely wanted the rear drain placement. We ended up switching from SS to Silgranit, but before we changed to Silgranit, we were going to get this Kraus KHU-100-30 for $370. We liked the rear drain, the sharp corners but not so sharp as to be zero radius, the 16 gauge thickness, the sound insulation, the satin finish which will show scratches a little less (the Franke you mentioned has a polished finish which will show scratches more), and that it comes with sink grid free (Blanco's are $80 add'l). Also, I read some posters on this forum who have this sink and like it.

Just as an aside, this is the sink we ended up with, though it's not installed yet: Blancoprecis Super Single. Can't wait not to have to ever deal with water spots again!

• friedajune
    13 years ago

Remodel-mama - I'll link your previous thread (which I posted on). Threads scroll to Page 2,3, 4, etc. pretty quickly. One way to find your thread is to put your name in the search box, and all the threads you've posted on will come up.

You don't need to pay $650 for that Franke Oceania. It is listed on eBay by a reputable seller, qualitybath, for $471, free shipping, and they have a "Make an Offer" option. My experience is to Make the Offer at about 10% less. You get 3 tries on eBay to make the offer, so if 10% less isn't accepted you have 2 more tries to add a little more to your offer. As I mentioned qualitybath is a reputable seller. I bought a bathroom faucet from them and was satisfied with the purchase.

Remodel-mama's previous thread

Franke Oceania on eBay

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I like the question.

Now that I have a sink larger than any before, I do think it makes no difference that the drain is centered. Or, almost no difference.

I got a Blanco Silgranite sink. Its drain is centered. If I had been given a choice, I would have bought it with a drain at the back, for the two main reasons that people think of all the time: working IN the sink is easier, and making the drain (P-trap) take less space under the sink.

I got the Blanco twist-turn pop-up, and it forces the P trap to be farther back, closer to the wall, so I got one of the two advantages - by a different way. Also, I open and close the drain by turning the button, so I don't need to get my hand on the strainer when it's under a big pot.

• la_koala
    13 years ago

Hi,

I had this same question myself and found this thread from 2008 with a pic:
    http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0108402118204.html

buehl did a calculation using the dimensions inside the cabinet--so if you have an idea of your garbage disposal dimensions, you might be able to calculate how much space will be used up in the center of the cabinet underneath.

Thanks for the mention of the Kraus alwaysfixin! I'm going to take a look at that, though I sort of like rounded corners better.

HTH,
    Lee

• remodel-mama
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks for your input everyone!

Alwaysfixin: Thanks for suggesting the Kraus that is available at Overstock for $370. I had just come across that and will definitely take a closer look.

Can I ask you why you ended up going with Silgranit? I haven't seen them in person and don't know anything about them. Is your countertop the same color?

Thanks!

• alwaysfixin
    13 years ago

Remodel-mama, I will veer off the subject topic, but you asked...so, in answer to your question, we were all set on stainless steel sink, which is what we had before. Stainless is so practical, and when it's clean, it has a nice sparkle. But, when does it look clean? Only immediately after cleaning,. But then run the water just a second, and you have water spots - or at least we do, our water is just the slightest bit hard. I am tired of looking at how spotted and dingy the stainless sink looks so quickly, Maybe if you have soft water, it's different. Anyway, I had read SO MANY threads on this forum about how great Silgranit is, and people who have been "converted" chiming in that they'd never go back to stainless now that they have Silgranit. So we went to look at some on display at a kitchen/bath showroom, and liked the look. You have to have an open mind though, cause it IS so different from a stainless steel look. I also saw some other granite composite sinks on display at Home Depot, but they didn't seem as nice to me, just my impression.

As to our Anthracite color choice, we've gone back and forth over various granites, Bianco Antico, Genesis, Lennon and White Delicatus - all in the white/gray color range. The Silgranit Anthracite color will look striking with any of these. Also, we were concerned that the white or beige Silgranits may show wine stains and the like, though we aren't sure. No matter, we loved how the Anthracite will contrast with the light granite, and have some drama with our cherry cabinets.

Here is some reading that pushed me toward Silgranit sink, but there's lots more on the Kitchens Forum, just do a search for "silgranit and stainless":

Thread about Stainless or Silgranit

Blanco's Press Release about Silgranit II - OK they convinced me!

• holligator
    13 years ago

I just wanted to mention that we have had the Ticor model you mentioned for two and a half years, and we love it! It may have been the best value purchase of our whole remodel. The center drain has not posed any problem for us at all. We still have plenty of room in the cabinet around the disposal.