Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

show me/tell me about your niche/shelf over your range

melissastar
13 years ago

Please? I love the idea of having a little shelf there to put mortar & pestle, salt and pepper, etc. on, but am not sure about depth, etc. I'd appreciate any pointers from those who've been there.

Comments (11)

• peace_rose
    13 years ago

I don't have any pictures yet because our project is still in progress. But we were inspired to put a recessed shelf above the range when we saw a picture in a magazine. Our range is 36" wide, and the shelf is going to be 27" wide x 15" high and 3" deep, located 48" from the floor. Proportionally it all seems right.

My husband recessed the shelf into the studs - it's an external wall with 2x6's, so he cut back 2" into the framing. The plan is then to install a 27" long x 3" deep piece of granite (which is fire proof). So the shelf will stick out 1" from the wall.

I'm not sure if this is the sort of feedback you were looking for or not, but maybe it will spark some more ideas for you. Good luck!

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

do you still have that magazine pic? I'd love to see it!h

• peace_rose
    13 years ago

Well, I went to track the picture down and realized it was a black and white photo in the newspaper, so I don't think it would scan very well. But I do have a rough-in picture of our project. It's the plywood rectangle in the middle of the wall. (Don't pay attention to the balloons - those are my "pendants") :) Here you go:

We're using a subway tile backsplash, so everything between cabinets and countertop, as well as behind the stove and below the range hood will be tiled.

• joyjoyjoy
    13 years ago

I love the baloons! Great idea. hmm I might really consider doing this as well. My kitchen is small and spice storage is really frustrating for me.. and something like that would be perfect for spices, and free up cabinet or drawer space.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

There was a thread on this topic some months ago--see below. There are some good photos of niches. Our project is bogged down, but I have a few additional comments since I posted...

Because we have to watch our pennies, I'm shopping in bargain places. One problem I have encountered is that oddball lots of tiles often don't include bullnose pieces as well as regular field tile sizes. The niche that we have roughed in will require some cute tricks to make ordinary tile edges seem attractive and classy; we don't want to just snip tiles and leave raw edges. DH, my sweaty equity, did not finish the niche smoothly when he created it in drywall because we knew we would cover it in tile. Now, we're thinking that we might not do the tiling right away and he'll have to pull out drywall tools and make a proper corner edging around the niche. This kind of "go back and do over" gig is getting very frustrating.

[Meanwhile, I've found a smashingly exciting tile that of course only comes without trim pieces. It's sitting right next to me, thinking. Unfortunately it has a decidedly unfinished raw edge and will require tricky handling if we choose to use it. I just covered it over so I can't see it tempting me there on the table. Have to be more practical. ]

Tile shops do carry a metal edging that can be used to finish off edges when no bullnose is available, but I haven't seen examples of it in actual use on a range niche. Would love to see a sample photo to reassure me.

Also, remember that if you choose to work with a thick tile or a remnant of some kind of rock from countertop on the back of the niche, that will cut down the depth of the niche shelf.

If you want the area above range/cooktop to be an artistic focal point, I humbly suggest that you either make a niche OR some kind of tile design but not both. If you choose too fancy a niche back, the items standing within the niche will compete with the tile design for viewer's attention. Mine will be a working kitchen, so we're planning to put oil bottles, vinegar bottles, salt shaker, etc. there and they are supposed to get top billing.

Don't forget that you can suspend a second shelf in the niche if there's room.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niche topic thread

• latimore
    13 years ago

There was also a thread recently on shelves behind the range (see below).

Many people had used shelves from IKEA, installed them before the tile, and then tiled around. There is also one on here made from a scrap of granite. My plan was to use a marble threshold.

Here is a link that might be useful: Thread on shelves behind the range

• davidro1
    13 years ago

I combined the exhaust opening with a niche behind the cooktop.

Here is a link that might be useful: Niche and Exhaust combined

• kgolby
    13 years ago

Hey Melissa,

We've got a niche behind our slide in range. It was in the plans of our house. I really like it a lot. It's perfect to hold S & P in bowls for cooking just like you're envisioning. The niche is a little over 5.5" deep and about 30" in length. I can upload a picture if you're interested.

• melissastar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Wow, am I glad I asked! I've looked through the various threads cited, and to my chagrin realized I hadn't even thought about the conflicting needs of potfiller, tile design focus and niche. PLUS...I don't have a clue how high the back of my new range is...despite the fact that it is sitting in my dining room waiting to be installed!

I need to go back to the starting line on this issue....
    thanks for the pics and thoughts, everyone!

• Buehl
    13 years ago

My niche is in the thread florantha linked to. Here are it's dimensions: