Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chloe_s_mom

shelf/nook behind range - love it? or not?

chloe_s_mom
15 years ago

Just wondering whether people like their shelves or nooks behind their ranges. Any concerns with reaching across the stove? Or cleaning off bottles/items stored there (grease and splatter)? Thanks!

Comments (17)

• granite-girl
    15 years ago

I keep some glass bottles, S & P shakers, & utensils next to my cooktop. And the bottles & shakers do get greasy & sticky. Not real easy to clean either.

Here is a link that might be useful: granite countertops

• Fori
    15 years ago

I currently have an oven cabinet right next to (RIGHT next to) my cooktop and have a rail thingy hung up there with stuff on it. The stuff hangs over my cooktop's control panel, not over burners. It's not quite BEHIND the cooktop but close enough to say it gets a little gunky but it's tolerable. I also keep things on the rear corner of the cooktop and it's not too bad. We stirfry a few times a week but always use the hood. I do think that makes a difference.

There's usually a "show me your niche" thread going on here. Very inspiring.

• grendal_fly
    15 years ago

We have a shelf attached to the high riser. I do like it when I am cooking meals that have a lot of add in etc. I do take the shelf off and clean it once every 6 months or so and if you do leave things up there while you cook on the back burners they will get greasy. If I had to do it again I would still go with the shelf.

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

I have a shelf behind my cooktop and love it! My hood has warming lights towards the back and this shelf gives me a really handy place to put things I want to keep warm. It's a great place to rise dough also. My teapot sits up there a lot when not in use. This shelf is from IKEA.

• Stacey Collins
    15 years ago

ccoombs1- can you tell me the name of your Ikea shelf? Or at least the depth so I can find it? It looks great. I was going to tile in a nook, but I may do this instead. Love the idea of bread dough rising there!

• Stacey Collins
    15 years ago

ccoombs1- can you ALSO tell me the height you mounted it from the cooktop? How did you arrive at that measurement?
    Sorry to be a pain, but I really like it!
    Thanks,
    Stacey

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks everyone!

oooh - I like the idea of the tea pot being there....ccombs, is it the kitchen shelf with bars across it (not a solid shelf)?

Also, I'm starting to wonder if my cabinet is a bit low - I have a very narrow hood fan (4.5 inch height), but nothing like the clearance that I'm seeing in some of those photos...

Grendal_fly: do you have stainless under the shelf? I can't quite tell from the photo

idrive: so you use your shelf when cooking? for things to add in?

I was originally thinking of a shelf for oils and spices (items that would stay there permanently), but I'm now thinking that the spice jars would definitely get icky

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

Staceyneil, it is the Grundtal shelf that IKEA sells for $14.99. It's 31 1/2" long and 10 1/2" deep. I didn't want the mounting brackets to show so I cut some large square holes in the drywall put some wood blocking inside the wall for the shelf to mount. Then I carved out the face of the drywall so the front side of the bracket is flush with the face of the drywall. Then I just tiled right over the brackets.

Here is a link that might be useful: Grundtal

• ccoombs1
    15 years ago

The shelf is appx 19" above the burners. It gets a little warm while I am cooking, but not hot enough to burn you if you touch it. And it's very easy to wipe clean. As far as how I determined where to put it....that was easy. I wanted 3 rows of 4" tile above it so there would be room for my diamond mosaic pattern, so it's 12" down from the hood. My tile pattern changes from diagonal to straight directly behind the shelf. That was a little challanging to do!! lol!

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Wow, creative! I have those shelves in my nook, and hang pots from them. Wondered what you had done re the brackets.

• bluekitobsessed
    15 years ago

I love mine, which was fabricated from a granite scrap. So far no cleaning issues. Pic:

FWIW, I tried the Pottery Barn metal shelf (probably equivalent to ccoombs', but for $60 instead of $15), and I don't recommend it due to installation difficulties.

Blue

• Fori
    15 years ago

No wonder that looks so good, Ccoombs--you thought that through!

• idrive65
    15 years ago

idrive: so you use your shelf when cooking? for things to add in?

I use the 3" solid undershelf for decorative bottles, and pull down the wire shelf (usually only one side) when I use the heat lamps for finished pans or plates.

• gglks
    15 years ago

i don't have one, but i think one of the favorites i have seen on this site is sally123......i don't know if i would functionally use it, but it sure is a cute spot to decorate with grinders, olive oil and vinegar cruets.

• dawn104
    15 years ago

I love my nook

• chloe_s_mom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

dawn - gorgeous!

blue - how is yours attached to the wall?

I'll look up sally's - thanks for the info!