Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
daratwist_gw

What size are your drawers?

daratwist
10 years ago

I am installing new cabinets in our 18 year old builder grade kitchen. We have Merrilat kitchen cabinets now. The KD is recommending Diamond. In researching this product, I am shocked at the short drawer height. My cheap cabinets have more height for the standard drawer to hold utensils. The "deep" drawers have in internal height of 5 5/8". It looks like I won't be able fit any stock pots or even a stack of pots in the deep drawers. I now use roll out trays that give a clearance of 10". I have read several posts from GW that love their drawers. They seem inefficient to me. Please chime in.

Comments (8)

• kam76
    10 years ago

Which size drawer base are you looking at? The three stack drawer bases have deeper drawers than 4 stack. My 3 stack has a deep drawer of 8 inches.

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I have listed all of my drawer heights throughout the kitchen as well as what I store in them in the below thread. Several others listed their drawer heights as well . . .

Here is a link that might be useful: http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0206313721622.html

• angela12345
    10 years ago

Sorry, duplicate post

This post was edited by angela12345 on Sat, Jun 8, 13 at 1:56

• daratwist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Angela for sending the link to the thread. I asked the KD for the internal heights of the drawers and she said the manufacturers like to keep that info hidden. They have call and ask for dimension of specific cabinets. I still have a lot of work ahead of me to make sure I have the right cabinets to hold all of my pots. I noticed you only have drawers. It looks like pull out trays are more efficient because you can nest pots decreasing the square footage needed - important in a small kitchen.

• kksmama
    10 years ago

I'm trying to work this out now. I have many things (appliances, tall pots with their lids on) that need 15" clearance. So I'm thinking I can have two 3 drawer stacks on either side of my rangetop with 15", 9.5", and 4" deep drawers (clearance height, not drawer face or side height). One stack in the island with a 2 drawer stack 15" and 13.5"
    (pans and lids can fit on their sides in the 13.5").
    Very interested in hearing from others!

• angela12345
    10 years ago

I think you will find an overwhelming vote for drawers over ROTS (roll out try shelves) around Gardenweb. Do some searches to read people's opinions on drawers vs doors. You can certainly nest pots in a drawer as well. Assuming your drawers are deep enough. : )

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.google.com/search?q=rots+drawers+site%3Agardenweb.com

• msl511
    10 years ago

I know I'm a little late to the party, but this

>> I asked the KD for the internal heights of the drawers and she said the manufacturers like to keep that info hidden.

is nonsense. I don't know whether the BS is coming from the manufacturer or the KD, but I wouldn't be happy with this answer.

I'm buying Ultracraft and the KD who is selling them to me had absolutely no difficulty answering the question. It's a pretty basic question for anyone who is carefully planning their kitchen. For that matter, you don't have to bring a GW level of attention to detail to want to double check that a drawer will hold, eg, your big stockpot. Also, for a given configuration (framed or frameless, location of glides) I'll bet there's a standard formula for figuring the usable internal height of a drawer.

If it's not too late, I'd definitely push back on this.

• daratwist
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, you are right that the KD can always give the client the information. I should have said that the interior dims aren't in a document on the web. If you know of a manufacturer that does list the interior dims for all to see, let us know!