Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
davidro1_gw

ball joint at junction of wand and pulldown hose (on faucets)

davidro1
12 years ago

Riobel

Kohler

Delta

now Moen

They are all putting waterproof ball joints at the junction point where the handspray "wand" connects to the hose (on pulldown faucets)

KWC Eve doesn't need a special joint, because the hose is so slim and flexible.

Also the pulldowns in the KWC Ono and KWC Systema series.

-

so much for use.

what about putting it away after use?

-

To get the wand to self-dock and not "hang obscenely" as many people have remarked, a weight is required to help pull the hose back.

A recent thread mentioned something new from Moen. (Reflex). I called Moen and found that they made several changes to improve the self-docking. There was something done to ensure a smoother run inside the tube, so the hose travels more easily. Something was done to the hose, too. And to the "docking collar" where the spray wand fits. So there are several small improvements, that combine to make it more interesting and higher quality.

The ball joint at the end of the hose may be a good thing too.

Here is a link that might be useful: thread about Moen Reflex. It only mentions the weight on the hose.

Comments (5)

• erinct
    12 years ago

Thanks for the information, davidro1! I tried to look up the patent for the Reflex technology but wasn't able to find it. I must say the technology was very cool when I got to try it out. I had been researching faucets for weeks (pathetic, I know!), and totally changed my minds in seconds after using the new Moen. I hope it works out!!!

• breadandsuch
    12 years ago

Davidrol,
    I was looking at the KWC Eve. I saw it at a local store...the docking seemed good. Do you think that the smaller head will translate into a less water to wash with. What is your impression of the Eve? I have not seen many reviews....
    Thanks so much,

• davidro1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It's a great little handspray. The hose moves well through the guide tube.

This handspray is small. An even smaller one is on the KWC Ono pulldown and on the KWC Sin pulldown (web search 10.261.102.000); it's so small that you cannot see it since it slides inside the metal guide tube.

On both of these, the flow will be the same as all the other faucets these days. Not less. This can be confirmed by emailing to KWC or looking into their PDF's.

They both dock well too.

• changingitup
    12 years ago

I am searching for a faucet that allows the nozzle to pivot around the sink and stay where it is dirrected without being held. I think these ball joints may be the answer. I was looking for a cosmetic angle of the nozzle, but a ball joint at the top of the hose would be great. I was at lowes last night, the closer it gets to faucet time the more likely it will come from there, and their cheapest chrome faucet ($98) happened to be a Peerless that had this feature. It was lacking in a pause button and probably in quality, but the floor model stayed where I directed it. I am still hoping to find a few
    more so i can have a choice. I guess I should plan on going back to the
    plumbing stores and rechecking the brands mentioned above, thank you
    for the list. Does anyone else have a faucet that can do this and who makes it?

• changingitup
    12 years ago

Update- after many trips to many plumbing stores I am under the impression that if the ball joint holds a position it is just because it is new and not worked out. The real function of the ball joint seems to be so it swivels freely putting less strain on your wrist and hose. I ended up purchasing the kohler vinnata in order to have the point and hold feature.