Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

Glass cabinets are in

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

My glass is in! Most of my stuff is still in my old house, but I had enought to play house with. Do you think the 30 minutes a day I spend re-arranging it to make all the cup handles line up, stack plates by color, and hide my Obama mug (only for the colorway) will count toward cardio?

It is "light restoration" glass, so it has a slight waviness to it and a few minor imperfections. (SEE link) I am very happy with it, but it is hard to see in photos (You just have to trust me, I always seem to be saying ... you cant see my wavy marble, my wavy glass, or the light distress on my cabinets!)

Here is a long shot of the only part of my kitchen with uppers:

{{!gwi}}

Here is a shot of the doors between the kitchen and DR, which have slightly heavier restoration glass.

{{!gwi}}

Here are some close ups of the cabinet. I chose glass sliders because I had seen them in an historic home and like the function. They are constructed so that I could put curtains in them in the future. I like the look of them sitting on the countertop, but it also makes it so pleasant and easy to get things and put them away. Even the little house urchins can do it. We have ample counterspace throughout so I dont mind the loss here. We decided not to raise the ceiling in this old home, and so it is also easy to reach the top shelves, too.

{{!gwi}}

The cabinet backs are beadboard in a distressed color wash of BM Woodlawn Blue. One thing DH thought of that I really like --- none of those holes pockmarking the cabinet innards --- our shelves are permanently affixed on cleats. I experimented with dishes first, before I committed to the shelf placement.

{{!gwi}}

My cabinets are distressed. What that really means is you can see paintbrush strokes (umm, trust me) and the paint is worn off on some of the edges (like below, look vehhhhy closely at the edge on the right hand door below). In my old kitchen, my Rutt cabs looked like perfect auto body paint, even 8+ years later. For this home, we are going with a more gently worn, dowager-down-on-their-luck-look.

{{!gwi}}

Here is a link that might be useful: restoration glass

Comments (46)

• celineike
    13 years ago

It's all so good! I love it!

• Pevo
    13 years ago

I love the sliding glass doors! Everything looks fantastic.

• blfenton
    13 years ago

The floors are beautiful! And everything else is so neat to look at - so much to see - the interior of the cabinets, the feet on the corners, the sliding doors and the island - what is the wood? More pics to follow i hope?

• dldl
    13 years ago

Beautiful! I'm getting ready to have glass installed in my upper cabinets and seeing yours makes me even more excited.

• robinson622
    13 years ago

Your kitchen and everything I see in those pictures are stunning. I can't stop looking at all of the glass and windows. I wish you many happy times in your gorgeous retreat.

• chicken1020
    13 years ago

Really lovely! I also love the sliding doors and the wavy glass.

• sandn
    13 years ago

Mtn,
    You're stealing the show again. It's very nice to see people with taste to match their budget. Beautiful choices.

• Adrienne2011
    13 years ago

Glass sliders are so neat, and I did not know they existed. Your kitchen is one of my favorites on GW. :o)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Adrienne, thank you! My cabinets are custom and the guy did not look too happy when I told him I wanted glass sliders. He hadn't done them before. But it's not really a new idea at all, I am not sure why you do not see them, outside of old butler pantries.

Thanks, Sandn, Chicken, Robinson, Pevo, Celine, et al

DDLL - I can never have too many windows.

BL Fenton - someone will correct me if im wrong, i think the island is oak. It is a copy of an old general store counter my DH wanted to buy. The other side has two drawers up top and open shelving below.

• dianalo
    13 years ago

I love your glass sliders. You may have inspired many inquiries to cab companies in the coming days/weeks about them!
    The whole look of your kitchen is really coming together ;)

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Lookin' good mntrdredux!!!

• westsider40
    13 years ago

That dowager aint no way down on her luck. She's in the money and on the money. It's beautiful, the whole, perfectly coordinated thing. Enjoy it lots.

• breezygirl
    13 years ago

I love sandn's comment. I hate to see kitchens where the owners spent beaucoup bucks and end up a mishmash of the most ornate finishes on everything just because it was expensive. Your taste is exquisite with money spent on quality finishes, edited down to let each piece shine with simple beauty.

And while I don't think those 30 mins count as aerobic exercise, you do get extra TKO credit!

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

stunning - can't wait to see the full reveal!!!

question on the depth of your base cabinet kick. (i have to decide how deep mine is by tomorrow AM - aaakk!). how many inches is it from the front face of the cabinets to the front of the kick on the floor? I am debating on how deep to go, and if I should paint it black to recede farther visually or keep it the cabinet color you have... any insight you have would be appreciated!

gorgeous!!!

babushka

• rococogurl
    13 years ago

Great storage with everything visible. Wonderful feature.

• sas95
    13 years ago

Every detail is just lovely. Beautiful kitchen.

• wizardnm
    13 years ago

Love the sliders and what you are doing!

• gardenamy
    13 years ago

WOW - every glimpse of the house keeps getting better and better! Absolutely beautiful!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

I remember this space when it was drawings. What fun to see the real thing. The sliding glass is a good idea.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Babuskha,

I have to run but wanted to answer your question. I dont have a tape handy but it looks like 2".

That said, I am no expert on cabinet construction but I actually don't like this detail. If we have feet, what is with the box? The feet are so clearly faux here and serve no purpose. I try to avoid such things when I can. If I had to do it over again, I would ask if there was a way to make the bottom open, like true furniture ... esp since this cabinet run has no water or electricity etc. I think this was a mistake by my cabinetmaker, who probably doesn't often build a run like this where we arent hiding water or power ...

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Congratulations on your beautiful new cabinets. I love the old glass and the subtle Woodlawn Blue washed bead board inside. If those were my cabinets I'd spend hours gazing at them and organizing them and then forget all about feeding my family!

• babs711
    13 years ago

Wow. I'm amazed at the beauty of your kitchen. I can't wait to see the ENTIRE thing when all is said and done. I'm more than likely going to paint the backs of our glass cabinets a blue tone as well. Love yours. The sliders are amazing. I'm loving every single solitary thing about your kitchen. Lovely attention to detail!

• SYinUSA, GA zone 8
    13 years ago

Oh my! You can tell that everything has been so carefully considered and thoughtfully done. Utter perfection! Every time you post an update, my kitchen inspiration folder gets a little bigger.

• mommyto4boys
    13 years ago

WOW, sbsolutley stunning:) We are looking at new construction & I have a vision for a dining room off the kitchen to the b ack of our home....with all WINDOWS! I'm so excited to see yours! Would you be able to sahre more pictures & possibly a floor plan? THANKS!!!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Mtn, I envy your cabinets so much, they are sooooo nice. I just need them so bad too. I inherited so many "things" from my mother and grandmother that I have put away because I don't have all that cabinet real estate you do. How lucky you are. Love the graining and color depth of your floors. More pictures coming?!! Thanks for showing, it is fun to see what you have done. Beautiful house you have.

• sabelln
    13 years ago

This is such a wonderful look and so functional. I love everything about it!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

mtnrd, just beautiful, including the glimpses of the dining room. Love the sliding doors and island.

I am laughing at your idea of dowager down on her luck cabinets vs. the autobody perfection -- and here I've been wanting to repaint my cabs because of that genuine down on their luck look!

By the way, I was so surprised to see my Wedgwood Countryware cabbage bowl in your new cabs!

Becky

• marthavila
    13 years ago

You do know I'll be arriving on your doorstep some time this summer, right? I mean, I'm figuring it would be much more meaningful, for both of us, if I were to have my drool-faint-OMG! episode right there in your spectacular kitchen (and whole house and gardens, frankly)instead of here at my boring old keyboard. :-) Damn, Mtn! You are truly knocking this one out of the park!

• lala girl
    13 years ago

Stunning! Seriously, those cabinets (and the whole space) are such a DREAM. Such exquisite attention to detail but the whole spaces is so simple and relaxing in its perfection. Thank you so much for sharing, I just love everything about it.

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

every time I see the sneak pics you are giving us, I am just amazed at your kitchen.

martha--I'll pick you up on the way...we are going together!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

Wouldn't it be easier to charter a bus : ) ?

Becky

• aliris19
    13 years ago

beeuwtious

• jenhp
    13 years ago

Very nice! My china cabinet has sliding doors like that too. Love them.

• desertsteph
    13 years ago

wow. that's a lot of cabinets. love that they're sliders!
    beautiful floor - just gorgeous! love the doors also - with partial glass in them.

it's all just beautiful.

• greenhousems
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. Spacious, bright, a real classic in every way.

• mskitchen
    13 years ago

It's a work of art - floor, island marble top, cabinetry. Congratulations! You must be over the moon.........

• babushka_cat
    13 years ago

thanks very much for the reply back, i really appreciate it! i have been struggling with feet details for several days now! :)

• annachosaknj6b
    13 years ago

Soooooo gorgeous! Everything you post makes my jaw drop! We must very similar tastes as I'm planning some of the same things you're doing...would you mind answering a few questions to help me out?

1. Is that a stainless steel countertop in front of your new cabs? If so, who did your fabrication? I'm getting pricing now and have two bids so far.

2. What's the paint color on the front of your cabinets?

3. I see you did a treatment that I love on the island, with the toespace built out instead of recessed. Is it comfortable to stand at? How is it holding up so far wrt scuffs and dings? (or is it too early to tell yet?)

4. Are those the label-holder pulls on the top drawers? How do they feel in your hand? I want to use something like that on my top island drawers (so my kids will no longer have an excuse to put things away in the wrong places!) but the ones at Anthropologie et al. look a little stubby to be comfortable.

Sorry for the interrogation. :-D BTW, I loved your old kitchen too that you posted in the other thread. For some reason I have it in my head that you lived in Montclair...is that right or am I just making that up?

Y'all save me a seat on that bus because I would LOVE to pet that marble! Mtnredux, I hope you have a good mop to clean up all the drool after we leave. IF we leave...mwah-hah-hah-hah....

• francoise47
    13 years ago

Dear Anna,

Here is the link to the long post on the pewter counters in mtndredue's beautiful kitchen.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pewter

• annachosaknj6b
    13 years ago

Cool...merci, Francoise!

• mommyto4boys
    13 years ago

and please, please share more about the amazing floor...??? THANKS!!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

As many of you know, for the TKO, kitchen renovations can be harrowing. I have invested an enormous amount of time and the other stuff into my kitchen and home. Once or twice I have come up for air and heard a small voice suggest "it is after all only a place to live". I club the small voice (no, it is not one of my childen) and soldier on.

I soooooo appreciate all of your comments, they are a nice reward. "Normal" (read: ordinary) people might breeze into my kitchen and say "oh, it's very nice" or maybe "umm, are you going to make the hardware match when you are done?" But you guys really get it! You understand exactly what I am trying to do and appreciate it. And that feels great! Thanks!

Mommyto4boys, (wow, btw). My floors are Carlisle, eastern white pine random width wide plank stained Bradford Umber with tung oil. They are soft, which means they will ding easily. We are okay with that, but you should visit a showroom where you can see it on a (well travelled) floor.
    I can try to post a floorplan on another post. My kitchen is landlocked between my solarium/DR and the family rm.

Anna,
    1. Looks like Francoise helped us out! So far i love the pewter.
    2 Benjamin Moore Halo. I wanted a kind of a dirty white
    3.My DH found an old general store counter on line and wanted that as an island. Instead we copied it. Since a toekick is not period appropriate, we have none. HOWEVER, the other side of the island is two drawers with open shelves below. That side does have a toekick, in a nod to function. So far our use of the island has pretty much consisted of putting pretty things on it, sighing, and then standing back and look at them. No function reviews yet. We have a decent amount of counters elsewhere and worktable that gets the bulk of the action.
    4.Yes, they are. I don't have labels in them yet because I want a calligrapher to do them and I have not unpacked my full kitchen and still unsure of where I will put things. They are from classichardwareusa.com, in antique brass. They are flimsy and the tiny screws to attach them were fabricated by How-many-angels-can-you-fit-on-the-head-of-a-pin. Inc.

5. Seems odd to disclose a location, but yes, I lived in Montclair and that is where my old kitchen is. Hopefully sold soon!

MsKitchen,Green, Desert, Aliris, Anenemity, Laura, Catmom, Westsider, Breezygirl, Bee, Rococo, Sas, Wizrd, Florantha, Francoise, Sabell, Maggie, GardenAmy, Babushka, thank you so much!

Diana, lol

Becky --- i only recently found out they discontinued it!

Martha -- I will show you mine if you show me yours! The next GW lunch can be right here. I'd love to see you again, that'd be fun. Any word on the Waterworks sale? Or you can make a pilgrimage to Lillian August. If you like ABC you'll like LA.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

Oh dear, mtnrdredux, I fear I have to rain on your glorious parade.

First, please give your Obama mug pride of place and make it the centerpiece of your cabinets displays.

Second, I have had a sense of something not quite right with your kitchen, but only now have figured out what it is. Your gorgeous Veneto marble should be paired with glorious (if a bit hard underfoot) Venetian terrazzo. The bottom line is that you need to get rid of either the marble or your outrageously beautiful wide plank floors.

Fortunately, I -- unlike the pushy people inviting themselves to your amazing house -- am humbly offering to take either the floor or the countertop off your hands. I am particularly partial to the floor, but I understand that the counter is easy to change out, so [sigh] I will settle for the marble.

Once this issue has been settled, may I please come swim in your pond while you turn on the geysers?

Thanks and cheers.

• mcraney
    13 years ago

Oh my goodness! My heart is racing and I'm having trouble catching my breath. Your cabinets are so beautiful that I don't have words to describe them.

I think if you are only re-arranging for 30 minutes a day, you are exercising great restraint~ Does your heart skip a beat every time you walk into your kitchen?

I am having so much fun following your reveals.

Bee and Martha, do you mind if I join you this summer? Martha and I can have our "drool-faint-OMG! episode" together.

Julie

• mommyto4boys
    13 years ago

Thanks for the info & WOW...it is five boys now;)

• annachosaknj6b
    13 years ago

Thank you for all those answers mtnredux! I like your idea of putting the built-out toekick on that side only--very clever. I may have to steal it. I will check out the website for the label holders; I'm really looking for the labelholders with a closed loop underneath but no luck so far. I am so excited to see your final kitchen reveal! It's going to be a GW classic for sure.

Sponsored
Bella Casa LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars17 Reviews
The Leading Interior Design Studio in Franklin County