Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mtnrdredux_gw

My 'zinc' counters

mtnrdredux_gw
13 years ago

I was so sure I wanted zinc. I saw some photos on line I really liked, and I was beginning to channel the Parisian fruit de mer platters.

In person, however, i liked the look of pewter much better. It's warmer and softer. Pewter is about 15% more than zinc.

But I still wish it were called zinc!

So here they are, my faux zinc ... pewter ... counters.

{{!gwi}}

and a long view

{{!gwi}}

Comments (33)

• pollyannacorona
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!! I saw some zinc counters in a magazine and I think they had an ogee edge, I liked them too but I somehow remember they were too expensive. I think the article stated it and the kitchen only used it in the island. I wonder how they hold up and are cared for. Yours are fabulous, and I love all the cabs too, good job in your choices. Where did you find them and you mind sharing the price?

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

They're beautiful! I love pewter.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, pollyanna!

I got them at a place called Brooks Custom in Mt Kisco, NY (link below). I didnt go direct, it was thru my GC. In this area of the country we don't find many bargains, and of course my GC earns a mark up, too ... so this may not be representative, but Ive given zinc and pewter pricing below. (not including templating and install)

Note that I only need 12" wide because my uppers sit on the counter --- that reduced my costs. I needed about 17.25 linear feet.

14 Gauge ZINC Countertop $4,811.00
    � Matte Finish
    � 1 1/2" Thick, Bonded to MDF Core
    � L Shape: 12" x 84" x 122 3/4" OAD
    � Eased Square Edge
    � Joints/Seams as Required
    � No Cutouts
    � No Backsplash
    1 seam
    18 Gauge PEWTER Countertop $5,204.00
    � Matte Finish
    � 1 1/2" Thick, Bonded to MDF Core
    � L Shape: 12" x 96" x 110 3/4" OAD
    � Eased Square Edge
    � Joints/Seams as Required
    � No Cutouts
    � No Backsplash
    2 seams

Here is a link that might be useful: pewter countertop fabricator

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

I still say you've got a BIG kitchen!! And beautiful so far--love the pewter counter!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

CatMom -

The camera adds ten pounds.

: )

Thanks!

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

That counter is just wonderful! I wish I had that set of cabs with or without the counter!

• dee850
    13 years ago

Stunning! They are surprisingly warm-looking for a "silver" metal.

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful! It seems to invite a person to touch (maybe caress). . . Oh sorry, I just drifted off imagining my hands on your counter and my dishes in your beautiful cabs. :)

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Zinc is beautiful, but there is that whole issue of poisoning-you-if-you-cut-a-tomato-on-it thing that I can't quite get over. Plus, for the look you are going for, those counters would not have been zinc to begin with; they would've been monel, and I think pewter is a pretty good facsimile of that.

Did you discuss your pewter choice earlier? I'd love to hear the pros/cons of a pewter countertop. They certainly look gorgeous.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Pinch, Dee and Flwrs.

Marcolo,
    Thanks.

I wasn't worried too much about the zinc health controversy, since these countertops are just landing areas. My other counters are wood, stainless, marble, and something mysterious on top of an old work table ... that may be zinc. But the antique worktable is so knarly id never prep right on it anyway.

I had never heard of pewter counters, and was certain I wanted zinc. But, in person, zinc was colder than pewter, a little blue even. SIde by side I immediately preferred the color pewter. I wavered only because i liked the exotic sound of zinc, and pewter always struck me (perhaps unfairly) as a poor-man's silver.

The second thing I liked about pewter is that, because it is softer, it will bang up sooner .... which i like.

• atd_oc
    13 years ago

Absolutely stunning!! I am looking forward to seeing the completed kitchen photos, with the cupboards loaded.

• remodelfla
    13 years ago

The whole thing... floors, cabs, glass fronts, beadboard painted behind and yes... those gorgeous counters... an amazingly FANTASTIC look. Oppps... did not mention that crazy beautiful range you have against that stunning stone wall. If you have a retractable island too, I'm just moving in.

• cardamon
    13 years ago

All those beautiful cabinets and they are sitting on top on that lovely, lovely counter so I can only imagine all the pretty, pretty things that are going to go into all of those beautiful cabinets. Like it. A lot. Are you moved in yet?

• malhgold
    13 years ago

FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Ad, Remodel, Maggie and Mahl, thank you!

No, we are not moved in yet (argghhh). But it looks like very very soon!

There is actually no glass in the cabs yet ..i chose a restoration glass that has a very slight waviness to it, and it will be another few weeks!

We have two islands. One of them is on casters. It is supposedly an old french pastry table. It's pretty beat up, but I love it, especially the size!

kitchen worktable
    {{gwi:1589594}}

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Beautiful. That island has so much charac--HEY! Is that a fridge to the left with icebox latch handles???

• elba1
    13 years ago

Wow!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, Marcolo. Tiger oak and ice box handles, but not a genuine icebox. The waitlist on those is almost 2 yrs, so we went with a simulation.

The worktable you love or hate. It has been in the kitchen during much of the remodel, since last summer, and it amuses me that all the workers put their tools and such on it. That's actually true with a number of items we have bought ... they must wonder why we have so much junk around.

• steff_1
    13 years ago

What a great choice, your kitchen is going to be beautiful. Can't wait for the next set of pictures.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

Where did the icebox latches come from?

Don't be surprised at where workers put things. I had a glass guy here a couple of weeks ago who put down 1) Windex-soaked rags 2) Dirty, wet gloves and 3) an open RAZOR BLADE on a brand new velvet chair.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Marcolo -

Below is the link for the h/w. Funny story. I saw a copy of an antique fridge somewhere and came across this guy on the internet as the fabricator. I had already planned on the hardware, but the more DH and I ogled the photos, the more we wanted a real ice box, not a subzero skin.

So we decided to call the company and request info. It was 2am. The owner of the company (same time zone) PICKS UP the phone, and chats with us as if it were the most normal thing in the world to conduct business at 2am. Unfortunately, lead time on a whole fridge is 18 mo.s or so. Plus we don't really have the room in our layout for the right proportions. Lead time on h/w is 3 mo.s

PS is your chair ok?

Here is a link that might be useful: ice box hardware

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Fabulous all! But then, I would expect nothing less! Gee, Mtn, I really am having a hard time waiting on this reveal. (You'd almost think it was my kitchen. Hint. Hint) :-)

• stephct
    13 years ago

WOW!! Amazing. Can't wait to see the rest of your kitchen. The pewter is gorgeous...didn't even know you could get pewter countertops!

• eandhl
    13 years ago

Beautiful pewter counter, love your cabs, counter, floors and work table. Anxiously awaiting more pictures of all of your house.

• liriodendron
    13 years ago

I love those counters!

But I'm clueless about the zinc health issue - and when I heard you had pewter, it brought to my mind a health issue related to the lead content of pewter. (Sorry!)

FWIW, I was planning on zinc counters surrounding my sink in an area where I would expect it to have some contact with food (including acidic ingredients), though not be the prime prep space. What am I missing, or rather, what health issue will I face?

Thank goodness for the collective wisdom of the GW KF!

L

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lirio, Eandhl, Stef and Martha!

Martha,
    Come on by for lunch sometime! I'm not quite Jean Georges but we could make do.

Lirio,
    Im not an expert on it but some people feel that food prep on zinc would leach too much zinc into your system. I did not investigate those claims or pewter extensively, because I only used pewter in my hutch area, where there is a 12" landing space. I cannot imagine any food prep will take place there. Where I prep, my counters are wood and marble.

• marcolo
    13 years ago

mtnrdredux, thanks for asking. Yes, my chair escaped unscathed. Contractors are worse than unhousebroken puppies.

• westsider40
    13 years ago

Brilliant, everything is brilliant.

• lazy_gardens
    13 years ago

Zinc is beautiful, but there is that whole issue of poisoning-you-if-you-cut-a-tomato-on-it thing that I can't quite get over.

You would have to eat a LOT of tomatoes because it takes 2 grams or more before the symptoms show up. That's a lot of metal to etch out of a countertop and absorb into the tomato.

Zinc overdoses are definitely a problem, but more likely to be seen in people taking lots of supplements containing zinc.

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Lazy, that's good to know because it definitely comes up!

• dianalo
    13 years ago

Not only are your counters great, but in every pic, I have to pore over it slowly because all the details are wonderful and warm. You have the kitchen I'd go for if our budget were not a factor and if it were in the right house.
    It would be a pleasure to shop for and eventually to see and use every day. This kitchen is what house magazines were made for!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, Diana, that's a wonderful compliment. I will remember that when I am reaching for the GC's neck!

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

funny, I'm supposed to take zinc for the eyes...hadn't thought of licking a countertop

mtnrdredux, your project is coming together very well. It's exciting to follow the adventure. You're gonna have a honkin' big kitchen and dining area.