Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vwhippiechick

Cabinet 'tweakorama' ? Pics!

vwhippiechick
16 years ago

I have previously posted questions concerning our finishing touches. I appreciate all the advice and opinions. I have gone back to our cabinet company to research some changes in the alder section of our cabinetry. My original intention was to have the alder section look like a separate piece of "furniture" sort of like the hutch look mentioned by another poster. We were going to change the counter material in this area to marble with a full backsplash. Many here on GW advised against this as we already have two counter materials in a smallish area. Also the ss dishwasher broke up the look of the bottom area of the "hutch". So here is the new plan.

Leave the soapstone (love it) in place. Install full height backsplash of alder panels designed to coordinate with the door style. Install simple but hefty corbels under the top cabinets. Reface the front of the dishwasher with an alder panel to integrate it into the cabinetry (didn't even think this was an option until I discussed it with the cabinet guy). He also suggested beadboard paneling as a less costly alternative to the custom backspash panel. He is pricing these additions so no final decision has been made.

What are your opinions on this? Do you foresee any problems? Would you suggest any alternatives to my plan? Thanks so much for your help on this and all my previous posts.

{{!gwi}}

Comments (12)

• Jan_S
    16 years ago

I think it will be great. We are thinking of a similar strategy (corbels and wood panels for backsplash) for a hutch-like effect at the head of the peninsula in our u-shaped open plan. Adding an alder panel to the dishwasher is essential to complete the hutch formation but if you can do that, I think it will work perfectly.

• suzieca
    16 years ago

vwhippiechick, what is the color of the paint on the walls in your photos? I love it!
    Thanks, Suzieca

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The brand is Devine and the color is "Cafe". We love it too especially after oodles of failed attempts to get the "right" yellow. It has some green undertones which enhanced the color of our dining room.

• bethv
    16 years ago

Great ideas - I love the beadboard back splash idea. Your kitchen is beautiful and this will be a nice polish. Don't forget to extend the toe kick panel under the dishwasher. Yuu could also add a little shelf under the upper - maybe 4" deep. Like lily 1342

Are you going to have to move the light switch?

Here is a link that might be useful: Lily's great new kitchen

• plants4
    16 years ago

As someone who advised against corbels on your white cabinets -- at least I'm pretty sure it was you -- I think that this is a good idea to achieve the look you want. "Simple but hefty" is perfect so it won't upstage the fancier island and it will go with the cabinet style you have.

• raehelen
    16 years ago

I think that will get you that 'hutch' look you obviously still want. Only problem I foresee, is a switch on one of your corbels.

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

bethv DH actually suggested the little shelf idea also. I love so many elements of Lily's kitchen. Her beadboard looks great.

We have some extra alder toekick so that shouldn't be a problem. Wonder if there are any issues with replacing the metal toekick with wood? Does it need to vent in this area?

I am sure the light switch will have to be moved as it is right at the edge of the panel where the corbels will go. DH is a licensed electrician, among his other talents, so hopefully that will be an easy fix. Ideally we could move it outside the paneled area. He is asleep right now so I can't ask about the possibilities. I slipped out of bed to check for additional posts to my thread. Would that be considered TKO?

• mustbnuts zone 9 sunset 9
    16 years ago

I think it will be gorgeous! Want to see picts when done. So, so pretty!

• cll2008
    16 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen. Perfect "tweakarama"; this will defiantly give you a furniture look without taking focus off your beautiful island. I think this is going to look great!
    Crystal

• cheri127
    16 years ago

It's funny, because when you first posted about this I didn't like the idea...thought there'd be too much going on. However, now that I see it, I think it will look beautiful when done. I think the beadboard and shelf are great ideas along with simple corbels. Can't wait to see it finished.

• sholt576
    16 years ago

By all means cover the dishwasher. I always wondered why you didn't cover it in the first place.

What is the backsplash going to be on the other walls? Will the corbels interfere with usage of that counter space? What will you did with the side wall, to the left of the 'hutch'?

• vwhippiechick
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the feedback everyone! Sammi - we ordered the dishwasher before our cabinet plan was finalized so when I realized how this was going to break up the "hutch" look I thought it was too late to do anything about it. Should have checked with the cabinet guy sooner! I think the corbels will not interfere with the usage of the counter in that area. I still haven't made a decision about backsplash for the other areas. Any suggestions are welcomed. I was thinking of cream colored subway tiles??

It never ceases to amaze me how difficult these last few decisions have been. I thought I was on the downhill side and finishing up would be easy - NOT! I guess we will get there eventually.