Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bkinsey

My almost finished kitchen

bkinsey
13 years ago

Here is what we have so far, I still need to accessorize, get wall hangings, window treatments, and various other knick knack things but I just couldn't wait to share :)

message center

looking toward eating area

beverage fridge in island

looking into kitchen from eating area

table and chairs

one more of the table...I'm just in love with it

view out the kitchen window...sorry it's one of my favorite parts :)

paper towel cubby

backsplash behind cooktop

pantry

cooktop and drawers

corner drawers....LOVE these

cookie tray shelves

Comments (48)

• elba1
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Congrats to you - looks great - love the soapstone - enjoy!

• traceee
    13 years ago

THIS is what this forum is all about! Your timing is perfect because THIS reveal is a much needed example of what can done with research, guidance, knowledge, and imagination. You dreamed it, researched it, budgeted it, and created it.

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

• cangelmd
    13 years ago

Classy backsplash, and I really like the breakfast room and that lovely table - did someone make it for you?

• sis2two
    13 years ago

Your kitchen looks beautiful! Everything looks so good together and you did something that I wish I had done since I too have soapstone. You went with a drop in sink rather than an undermount. The sink area seems to be the area that gets a lot of abuse. And I love your view out of your window. Glad you shared it.

• ahs23440
    13 years ago

Love the kitchen, you must be so happy. Love the gray paint color too. What is it?

• cbonebt
    13 years ago

Love this kitchen! No wonder you couldnt wait! I absolutely love that table too.

• ghostlyvision
    13 years ago

Love it - and those corner drawers are terrific!

• bkinsey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for the compliments, it has been such a long and emotional process. This is a remodel of an 1889 farmhouse that we have been working on for 6 years and the kitchen was our last project (YAY!!!).

tracee- you are so right about this forum, without it my kitchen wouldn't be what it is. I have gotten so much information, ideas, and advice on this forum...it has been priceless to me.

cangelmd- thank you :) Yes we did have the table custom made and it is a perfect example about why you should get custom quotes even when you think you can't afford them because this table was WAY more affordable than I ever could have imagined!

sis2two- A lot of people thought I was crazy for doing the drop in sink but I just didn't want to take the chance of the headache of replacing a undermount sink (because these counters are here to stay!) and also because I could see the sink edge getting banged up because we all know that is one of the things we soapstoners live with :)

• coco4444
    13 years ago

Beautiful. I love to see the white shaker cabs, it's what I'm considering with the same drawer pulls.
    Your corner drawers... are they just standard ones on an angle or the special kind?
    Love your table as well, stunning wood!

• blfenton
    13 years ago

Beautiful kitchen. I love the window with the glass cupboards on either side and the backsplash behind the stove. So simple but so elegant. The whole thing is so calming and serene.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    13 years ago

beautifully classic kitchen, great job! I love the coordination of the island and table lights, and the island barstools and the dining chairs.

...ok, since you *did* say the kitchen was your last project in the house, can you now pretty please go and post the rest of your house???

cheers

Here is a link that might be useful: Seen your kitchen...what's the rest of the house look like?

• celineike
    13 years ago

Turned out SO nice!
    And it's all so big!!! you could do cartwhealls in your eating area!

mine feels tiiiiinny now. :D

Enjoy!

• Laura
    13 years ago

Really gorgeous!! Love your cabinets - those corner drawers are fantastic - will have to add that idea to my wish list! :)

~ MadsMama

• sochi
    13 years ago

Lovely kitchen, congratulations! That table is stunning - is it birch? And what about your floors?

Enjoy your beautiful farmhouse and that super view!

• stacieann63
    13 years ago

It's gorgeous! I love those corner drawers too! Congratulations and enjoy!

• cardamon
    13 years ago

Congratulations on a beautiful white kitchen. Your right the view is amazing. I like your corner drawers, paper towel cubby and the cookie tray shelvingand of course, everything else. Good ideas. You must have a large family by the size of your beautiful table.

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Very classic and serene!

• sayde
    13 years ago

I really like the restraint and simplicity of it. And (coming from a rather small kitchen) I loved the spaciousness of it.

• andi_k
    13 years ago

It looks fantastic...love the soapstone, too!!!

• bh401
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Love what you've done. The colors are great!

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Well done. I love your view, too. I've always loved this x-backed chairs.
    What I love about a classic kitchen like yours is how beautiful a big vase of lilacs will look in the spring, a basket of pears in the fall. It is like a backdrop for the bounty.

• bkinsey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks again for all the wonderful comments :)

ahs23440- the paint color is Sherwin Williams dovetail and I absolutely love it. I was so close to going with gauntlet gray but the lady at SW talked me into going up a color on the strip and I am so glad she did!

sochi- the table is wormy maple and the floors are Matterhorn Birch from Lumber Liquidators, I am so impressed with the floors I can't even put it into words...they are what everyone comments on first when they come into the kitchen.

As far as the drawers go I will have to find out if they are standard drawers or not, the cabinets are custom so I'm not sure the answer to that questions...but I will find out :)

• gardenamy
    13 years ago

WOW - That kitchen made my Friday even better! Can you please post appliances and lighting information.

• Lake_Girl
    13 years ago

I love your kitchen! It's so classic! I was wondering who did your soapstone and what is the name of the stone? We're considering a DIY soapstone project, but not sure which soapstone to go with.

Also, is damage around an undermount sink common with soapstone? I was so looking forward to undermount. My 1997 drop-in sink is such a pain to clean next to the backsplash. It's such a tight area that you can hardly get a washcloth in there to clean. The caulk or whatever was used to install has never looked clean. Yucky!

Thanks for sharing!

• cooperbailey
    13 years ago

Just lovely- and complements the view from the window!

• bacin0
    13 years ago

WOW! I have never commented before on a kitchen but this is the kitchen I am going for- even the table is on my wish list. Just have 2 questions
    1. Do you think that you have more storage and usable space with the corner drawers than a lazy susan? My cabinet maker has suggested corner drawers but I had not seen them before. I love the look and how the corner is angled.
    2. How long is your table?
    Thanks so much for posting this.

• bkinsey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Sorry I didn't post all the details yesterday but my little ones were not cooperating :)

I'm also going to give you an idea on cost of a lot of the things because I shopped around ALOT and I want people to know that you can really get more for your money if you are willing to put in the time and effort of doing research. I had the kitchen that I wanted in my head and didn't necessarily have the budget for it so I really did my homework. If I had to give a price on the total project without getting out all the paperwork I will tell you I definitely did it under $30,000...which I think is quite an accomplishment for a 600+ square foot kitchen. That being said, we did most of the work ourselves with the help of family and friends. Like I said before we have remodeled this house over the past 6 years, it has truly been a labor of love...and in that 6 years we have had 2 little boys and have a third baby on the way so it has definitely been a hectic time in our lives, but well worth it when I see what we have accomplished.

Cabinets- 13k
    custom made by a local cabinet maker, which was kind of a headache because he was relatively new to making kitchens as he was previously a furniture maker. But he learned as he went and was willing to make changes if they were needed. We have 30 linear feet of cabinets and a 4x7 island, all the bells and whistles like pull outs, 2 trash pull outs, drawer dividers, big pantry, etc. All the cabinets are plywood construction with dovetailed drawers.

Painting Cabinets- 1600
    They were painted by a paint shop that has done all the woodwork in our house and the color is SW Dover White

Flooring- 2600 (3.99 a sq ft)
    This flooring is Matterhorn Birch from Lumber Liquidators and I could not be happier with it. The sample that we got was mostly blonde and did not have the variation in it that the pieces in the boxes did...I was so pleasantly surprised by this. Another thing that we were happy about was that we had relatively no waste, there were very few unusable pieces. My uncle is a contractor of high scale homes and he was very impressed by the quality of this flooring he said it was better than some that he has worked with that is 4 and 5 times as much. Also, the floor is the first thing that people comment on when they come into the kitchen and most are surprised when we tell them that it is birch most mistake it for hickory.

Appliances---all were brand new and under warranty but I got some really great deals

Refrigerator- 1000
    This was a floor model from Sears that I found at an outlet store. It is a GE profile french door model with water in the door and an ice maker below in the freezer drawer. It is not cabinet depth but I think I did a pretty good job at making the appearance of that less obvious by building the pantry on the other side as deep as the fridge is so that it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb.

Cooktop- 1500
    This is an Electrolux Icon professional series cooktop that I got on ebay. We did have a slight problem with it which probably could have been avoided if we would have opened the package as soon as we got it instead of waiting until we were ready for it. When we opened it the front panel was dented so it was either like that when it arrived or was dented by us in our storage unit (which is a possibilty) so we ended up having to buy a replacement panel that was $300 but we were still way under the $2500 retail...live and learn :)

Dishwasher- $700
    Kitchenaid dishwasher that I did not get a super deal on, but I guess you can't win them all.

Wall ovens- 1000
    Fridgedair 30 in double convection oven, again an ebay purchase which saved me a ton of money.

Beverage fridge- 200
    This came from Walmart.com and it is a Danby. The thing I liked about it is that it is all fridge because most of the fridges like this that you find have a freezer compartment which was unneccessary for us in the way that we wanted to use it.

Sink- 400
    It is a single basin Kohler cast iron white sink and I really love it. Yes it is drop in (gasp!) but I kept reading soapstone owners that were complaining about the abuse that the sink edge took I decided that would be a better option for me. Also with the prodding of my husband who definitely wanted the option down the road of replacing the sink (if needed) without the headache of dealing with an undermount...cause these counters are here to stay.

Hardware for cabinets- 400
    I got these from myknobs.com and they are Top Knob brand and from the Asbury Collection in a polished nickel finish. I really wanted the look of the screws on the sides of the bin pulls but my hubby wouldn't go for the ones that actually used those screws to attach the handle to the cabinet so these were a good compromise because they have the look that I wanted but the screws are decorative and they bolt in from behind the way that he wanted.

Tile backsplash- 500
    This is just cheapy Home Depot tile that are 19 cents a piece and we did pay someone to install it for us so that price includes material and installation.

Lighting- 300
    This is only including the lighting fixtures not the can lights. I don't have a total on those because I really wasn't involved in the purchase of them. But the fixtures all came from Home Depot online and are Progressive Lighting not sure of the collection off the top of my head but could get it if someone was interested. The light that is over the table was the super deal at $49! I paid around $100 for each of the pendants and I think $60 for the light that is at the door in the eating area.

Wall color-
    Sherwin Williams dovetail

Counters- 6000
    This was a crazy deal on soapstone thanks to our uncle the contractor

Table- 1000
    This is a custom made 9x4 table made from wormy maple with a natural finish. This is an example of why you need to get a custom quote even if you think it is out of your budget this table was so much more affordable than I could ever have imagined!

Chairs- $30 a piece for the chairs and another $30 a piece to have them painted and distressed. I found these online from JC Penney's and I couldn't pass them up at that price, especially since I needed 12 chairs. They are solid wood construction and were perfectly fine in the finish in which they came but they just didn't match my decor so I had to have them painted. But even with the painting I have $60 in each chair and that is still a bargain.

That is all I can think of right now, if I missed something please let me know. I will be more than happy to get you any info you would like to have. GW was such a help to me in this process and I would love to pay it forward by helping anyone who asks

• bkinsey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

bacin0- I really like having the corner drawers as opposed to a lazy susan. But it would really depend on what you were going to use it for, I don't need the space for food everything fits in my pantry so I use them for pot holders, dish towels, and stuff along those lines. If you need the space for food I think a lazy susan would work better but if you don't then I would definitely say go with the drawers, you will love them!

• sandn
    13 years ago

How beautiful, spacious, and practical! When we saw your kitchen it looked familiar to us somehow. We have a house of exactly the same vintage and have chosen many similar finishes to yours. Your kitchen could be the country cousin to our urban Victorian. Well done.

• sw_in_austin
    13 years ago

An absolutely gorgeous room. Congratulations. I know you and your family will love living in it.

• Shira S
    13 years ago

Wow, its beautiful!

• willtv
    13 years ago

Love It All!!! What a great job and a great space.

I'm a high contrast kinda guy so I love the black & white which is what we did in our recent kitchen reno. Everything from your cabinet design to your layout to your gorgeous soapstone is just perfect. Also the choice of cabinet hardware and lighting fixtures are fantastic. And all this for 30G's. You should give lessons.

Enjoy your new space and good luck with the new baby.

• oldhousegal
    13 years ago

Beautiful! Love it! Pat yourself on the back for a job very well done!
    Thanks for sharing and enjoy the fruits of your labor!

• flwrs_n_co
    13 years ago

Beautiful and thrifty--love it! Lots of lessons to learn here, especially how to do things beautifully on a budget. Toast yourselves and your achievement, and enjoy!

• cplover
    13 years ago

simply gorgeous!! :)

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Well... I am even more impressed now that I've seen your budget. Fabulous. That's how we did our kitchen, too... lots of time spent shopping on Craigslist, eBay, and calling appliance stores for scratch-and-dent possibilities, researching for materials that LOOK high end but don't cost an arm and a leg, plus lots of DIY. I would have guessed you spent at least half again that total, if not double it.

It's a beautiful space and that view is to die for. Congratulations!!

Stacey

• motherof3sons
    13 years ago

WOWZA!!!! That is one absolutely gorgeous kitchen. Congratulations and enjoy this beautiful kitchen with your family. BTW - congrats on the impending new arrival. Another boy?

• rhome410
    13 years ago

I'm not saying anything new, but will join the chorus. The elegant simplicity of it all is wonderful, and am in love with your view!! The straightforward and clean lines of your room style suit it perfectly.

The wall color is great, but anyone who's read anything I've written probably knows gray is my favorite. That one in particular (as well as its next lighter shade) is one I'm considering for a repaint of my range area cabinets...and I wish I'd found it earlier for some of my walls, too.

All of your material choices work together to form a classic and beautiful whole and I really can't pick certain things that I admire more than others...But can say I love your hardware.

• spayurdog
    13 years ago

That is my dream kitchen. What a beautiful job!

• athomesewing
    13 years ago

Gorgeous!!! I'm especially in love with your floors, OMG, they are gorgeous. The cabinets as well, totally beautiful.

Thank you also for posting your inspirational price savings! It is so great to see that a magazine quality kitchen can be achieved without spending six figures! Since we have had the specs on our appliances and fixtures, I've been able to save a bundle by taking my time and really searching.

• shelayne
    13 years ago

*Standing O*

Well done! It is absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

• ejbrymom
    13 years ago

What a FABULOUS space!!!! You did a great job with your kitchen lay out and storage! My absolutely fave is the cookie sheet/tray shelves!!! What a great idea!
    Beautiful kitchen! Congrats and enjoy your space!

• beckysharp Reinstate SW Unconditionally
    13 years ago

mgkinz, just beautiful. I've been going back and forth all afternoon taking more looks. This is probably one of my favorite KF kitchens
    now : ). Can't wait to see what it looks like with all the finishing touches...

Congratulations and all best wishes on the new kitchen and new baby!

Becky

• ImaCurvyGrrl
    13 years ago

Absolutely beautiful. I love that gray wall color against your white cabinets and the soapstone. And I'm definitely NOT a fan of white kitchens...but yours is fantastic.

For those of us who are intensely curious, could you post a picture of your corner base drawers with the drawers OPEN? That would resolve if they are standard drawers or what.

Thanks!

• bkinsey
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all so much for all the compliments and the well wishes about the new baby...which we don't know the gender yet, we're thinking about keeping it a surprise this time around :)

Here is the pic of the inside of the corner drawer, I'm sure it's a standard drawer nothing special...I can get you measurements if needed. Sorry it took a while for me to post it was a busy Mother's Day weekend, and today is my day to catch up.

• aliris19
    13 years ago

What a beautiful, calming way to start the day -- peekingi n on your kitchen, out the window. May you know many days of peaceful joy doing the same! Congratulations on a fantastic job.

• harley67
    13 years ago

love your kitchen, just what I am hoping for in mine....can you tell me where you purchased your stools?

• Sebby
    12 years ago

Love, love, love it! Really beautifully done. I hope my kitchen turns out half as nice as yours has!