Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melissastar

Seen your kitchen...what's the rest of the house look like?

melissastar
13 years ago

I don't know about others, but I am terribly curious. I've seen so many lovely, inventive kitchens on this site, sometimes with glimpses of adjacent family rooms, hearth rooms, dining rooms,etc. And it makes me wonder what the rest of your houses look like...anyone care to show theirs off?

Comments (150)

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Before I address the request for more info on our house let me say to Bee that I'm ready to buy your house fully furnished as soon as your done with it. I just love it all.

And to Swhite10 - I adore your family rules and the little tree on the wall of your mudroom is fabulous. Can you PLEASE tell me where it came from?

Our crazy cave house was designed back in the late 70's. The property was part of a large estate that was subdivided into lots. The man who bought this lot discovered a pool or natural spring (we've heard both accounts, not sure which is accurate) and had an architect design the house around the pool. The original owner was a "science guy" and built a very eco-friendly/green house. There were lots of native plants inside (the ground floor was largely a garden) and the house is positioned to take advantage of the sun's placement during the seasons - so it provides as much heat as possible in the winter and the least amount in the summer. There is a 50' long bank of windows on each side of the house, near the roof and 14 skylights. We get a ton of natural light

The house is about 4 stories tall from the base of the pool to the roof. Large louvers are placed on the northeast wall, near the roof to draw air from the lowest level through the house for cooling. Truly a very effective design.

The house was remodeled around 2004. Heat/air conditioning was added at that time, but it is still fairly eco-friendly with concrete floors around the pool and bamboo floors throughout. We are very near the coast and heat/air isn't really necessary. As you can see, there are few doors or walls inside the house. Each room is on it's own level, some different by just two or three steps. Most rooms are rounded or angled, only the powder room is a perfect rectangle.

The waterfall is part of the filter system of the pool. I don't have a great photo of it working, but this one shows it on. The flow is adjustable.

Here is the living room area. The walkway behind is a bridge to the library and office den.

• swhite10
    13 years ago

kiffgirl--Thank you!!
    Family Rules came from thevinylvoice on etsy.com and the wire tree came from Signals.com. Here is the link:

Here is a link that might be useful: Black tree wall art

• mtnrdredux_gw
    13 years ago

Swhite - you dont mean your exterior is BM Revere Pewter, do you? I have Revere in my pantry and my cloakroom. Great color.

KateSK - i love your fabric choices (and i am a colorphobe). The stone chimney up thru the stairwell is beautiful and unique. My other favorite in your house is a detail i didnt see in this round of photos. It's a little contrasting edge --- cant recall if its marble or wood, only an inch or so, that gives a real vintage feel to a cabinet run. Enjoy your new home!
    Glad you like my tile!

• jakabedy
    13 years ago

If you've seen my kitchen, you've seen my house, because it's basically one big room! Please ignore the flotsam and jetsam of everyday life:

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

cyrus: the floor is from tarkett. i saw it on an episode of candice olsen a few years ago and after an exhaustive search, finally found it in my neighborhood flooring store! lesson learned: look under your own nose, first!

Here is a link that might be useful: bubble fun

• swhite10
    13 years ago

mtnrdredux--No, my kitchen and breakfast nook are Revere Pewter. Exterior colors are Boothbay Gray and Puritan Gray, if I remember correctly.

• melissastar
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So many gorgeous, light filled contemporary houses! I live in a 1907 Victorian/Arts & Crafts rowhome, which is definitely "daylight challenged"...especially the first floor. Pictures soon...I hope.

• formerlyflorantha
    13 years ago

o.t. Kateskouros, am thrilled to see the red chandelier in a real room. I always look at them in ads and fantasize. I've coveted those since there was one for sale in the window of the gift store at Minn. Inst. of Art. Tell your daughter she's a very lucky child.

Am wondering if I could sacrifice some of my beads to string them through my own chandelier? I love the idea that it's a mark of the ADULT area!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

florantha: i would not pay retail for a red chandy. looking around the prices were just too much than i thought necessary for a little girl. i found the chandy on ebay for $150!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Melissastar,
    Thanks again for starting this post.
    ~boxer

Dianolo,

I love the color too. It was custom mixed to match a golf
    painting that my husband loves. Very close to Benjamin
    Moore Richmond Green. Keep in mind this room has 3 walls
    of windows and lots of shaded light from the trees.
    ~boxer

I now have a little time this morning to tell everyone
    I love their homes. Honestly, everyone has these inspiring
    places that make me wish I could visit all of you.

Primfan88-Your soft country wall colors are soothing.

Susanka-Delicious!!! Something of better H&G.

SRg215-I could sink into that sofa with a giant bowl of
    popcorn and a great chic flic.

Allsion0704- That bedroom is splendid. I could fall asleep
    for hours in such a wonderful room.

Pipdog- I love your orange accents.

KitchenAddict-your granite tries to steal the show but
    everything is so perfect so it must share the limelight.

Prill-A warm, wonderful woman must live in your space.

Pirula-Everything is to die for and those framed pictures
    in your hallway, I would love to copy that inspiration.

Noelabelle-BEAUTIFUL!!!! You are talented.

Kateskouros-I like the pepto pink and the red chandy. Keep it.

1sthousemp-Your floors are lovely. You know I am a wood floor fan.

Staceyneil- When you first finished your bathroom, I was
    drooling over it in Homedec. Gorgeous and to think not too
    long ago you were traveling all over NH, MA, ME for marble.

Sw10-I wish I had an Bald Eagle for my pet : )

Catmom- Your coffee table is something out of Veranda
    magazine. Amazing.

Mtnrdredux-Tile tile and more tile is making me wish I
    had you here to help me make my home beautiful.

circuspeanut- great clock, I would love to see more copper
    counters though. I love your kitchen.

Jodi-Ca- Are you the artist? I love the artwork. Honestly
    I have neglected my own fine art talents but seeing your
    house makes me want to start again. stunning.

Elipiz- Here I thought you were just a kitchen girl and
    to think you have an amazing home.

Kiffgirl-Those pendants are perfect in the space. And I have
    to tell you I just love your CKC spaniel. Such a cutie.

Jackabedy- I am sure I told you this, but in case I forgot
    I LOVE your cabinetry. Truly magnificent.

If I forgot anyone, forgive me and if I got someone mixed
    up with another forgive me again. I have never been great
    with names but ask me about a picture of someone's
    kitchen and I can usually tell you whose it is.

Now those of you who are a little too intimidated to
    post, I do UNDERSTAND. There is amazing talent on this site
    and I was fearful myself. In face a bit afraid I should
    not have posted anything. Needs work I keep saying.
    But please don't feel that way. Just take a pic of your
    favorite wall color, child's art work or maybe a chandy.
    And you will be happy to discover others on GW are loving
    it too. I love each space I see above.

~boxer

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I live a much simpler life than most on here. My goal was to get an acreage where I had space for my animals and I wouldn't have to drive impassible gravel roads in all kinds of weather to take care of them. Price and location were primary factors. I found this one; perfect in every way - EXCEPT- for everything I changed!

The cosmetic things I did were my personal preferance. The previous owner liked it. All the essentials are here. I have done updating, of course, although none of it was critical. I hated the kitchen even though it had served the previous owner quite well - for 30 years. I wanted it nicer than that. The bathroom had been remodeled but I didn't like that either! I had changed the toilet to a tall one which eventually leaked and made the sub floor mold. Not knowing what was happening I knew I had to fix it. In the meantime the plastic and glass freestanding shower stall griped me every time I looked at it. I had seen a walk in shower while I was house shopping and my heart stood still! I HAD to have one of those.

I have plenty of outbuildings and animals to take care of and the house isn't real high on the decorating list. I have my wonderful new kitchen and bathroom with walk in shower. I did do a face lift on all the rooms when I moved in but just enough to get rid of paint colors I couldn't live with and green shag carpet that gave me the willies. There are still decorating things I would like to do, and maybe I will, but not now. I put in an air source heat pump 3 years ago. I've put in a whole new septic system. I dropped about $20,000 on it last year with the septic, kitchen and bathroom. That doesn't sound like much compared to some appliance lists I've seen on here. It's an old farm house. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I like it here. It's paid for. I don't need more; all I need is a place for me and my critters. I'm happy.

My house is over a hundred years old, it will never look like anything other than what it is. In 1847 the U.S. Government gave my land to Elijah Murray for service in Ohio Company K, 3rd regiment. The reason for giving land instead of pay, the government didn't have the money but it did have the land. Giving 160 acres in exchange for army service encouraged settling in "the west". It has been sold off piece by piece since then.

• Jodi_SoCal
    13 years ago

Boxer, yes I am an artist from a long line of artists but I don't paint. I'm a Graphic Artist.

The large gallery wrap in my dining room and the one shown below in my kitchen are both from Gallery Direct online. I love browsing their site!

The two pieces in my living room and the smaller one in my dining room are metal art. For some reason I'm really drawn to metal art. Don't know why.

In my kitchen.

Jodi-

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

kiffgirl, where do you park the batmobile?

Your house is really wild!

Still loving all the pictures.

Sorry for breaking the links to mine, I rearranged. If anybody really cares, I could post them again.

-Bee

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Yes, I care! My first thought when I saw that was DRAT! I didn't take the time to memorize them when I had the chance. But with my memory, maybe there will never be enough time.

• kiffgirl
    13 years ago

Bee-you know I care! Yes, repost. I'm not done drooling over all the things I'll do in my next house. After buying a man-cave, DH says the next one is all me!

• Adrienne Gray
    13 years ago

Kateskouros - I love your playroom - I think I might steal the sleeping nook idea for our playroom window area. And I'm thinking of doing hanging bubble chairs, but I love your swings. Here's a floor in our playroom that may look familiar?

And the rest of your house is stunning too! (As are so many others - but the giggling infant trying to eat my toes precludes me from commenting all around)

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Pinch, city girl that I am, I confess that I didn't "get" you at first. But the more you post, the more I have been drawn into your farm scene. I have to tell you that I absolutely love these last photos you have posted (meaning the ones in your album behind the main one of the house)! In looking at all the animals, and reading your story, I am hooked! When you say you have "a much simpler life than most on here," I need to tell you that you have something going on there that is truly rather good and special. Thank you for sharing with us.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Please post Bee.
    It will be much safer now. If you have the PB account
    you can even blur them up a bit or write your name across
    BEEKEEPER.

Jodi, Of course you like metal if you are graphic artist!
    There is something about the lines and solid feel of metal
    to a graphic designer. I love your wall art. Thank you.

Pinch-me,
    WOW, I am amazed at the history of your land. And I love
    your space. Simple life? I think it is a pure, warm,
    healthy, genuine life that all are drawn too. I like the
    bathroom tile. And the dark wall paper looks navy but maybe
    this is my monitor. Is that Oil Rubbed Bronze peeking out
    from the sink and towel holder?

Alabamamommy-I wish I were a little girl dancing in that
    room. Fun!

• beekeeperswife
    13 years ago

Ok, here are the pics, again. Who knows, maybe I'll mix it up and put a different one in there....again, sorry to have broken my link, but wow, pb is so much more organized now.

Here ya go:
    From the kitchen looking towards the family room:

And it's been "revised" a bit since these photos, so this is a bit more accurate of what it looks like today:

The lamp ove the couch was added, I painted the brass on the fireplace and removed the old window with a mirror. Added the chests on each side of fireplace.

Wasabi Green Living Room:

Foyer:

Chandy (not the moon) with a high gloss BM Wrought Iron Ceiling:

guest coat closet:

ceiling of coat closet:

The gal who has her coat hanging in the guest hall closet:

She is waiting for her "dad" to get home.

My dining room:

The powder room. There are no photos of it, but imagine this wallpaper all over when you go in there. It is a "surprise" for guests:

And...I was going to post a before & after of the kitchen, you know to mix it up....but I just saw that pb deleted some of my newly created files!!! I can't find the photos! so I tried to upload some of my "before" shots,and it won't let me, it says they have been added, but they aren't crossing over to the next page where you can see them and access them. Oh brother. I've sent them an email.

• Adrienne Gray
    13 years ago

BEEKEEPER! I love your style! So classic while still of the moment! You have flawless taste... may I borrow some of it please when we get to the decorating stage??

• cherigw
    13 years ago

Kiff girl, LOVE you house!! It reminds me somewhat of the of the Bavinger House in Norman OK designed by Bruce Goff who did some incredible designs. Unfortunately, the Bavinger House was neglected for several years. A conservancy program was started a couple years ago, but I'm not sure how successful it is/will be.

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Yes, marthavila. I have nothing in common with most of you other than I remodeled a kitchen. Looking at all these interiors, I am more reminded of how little I care about the "decor" inside my house! Builder grade would probably describe it well. Yours are all beautiful and I would be happy with most of them. I just don't care enough to do it.

My horse died last week. 27 years of telling her good morning and good night is a long time. She changed my life and I changed hers. My dog died. My horse died. I need a project to occupy my thoughts. I dread summer. Who will I play with?

• craftlady07
    13 years ago

OH gosh pinch_me I am so so incredibly sorry for your loss. 27 years is a wonderful life time for a horse and I'm sure she was so amazing loved by you.
    My heart truly goes out to you. (((HUGS))

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

alabamamommy: thanks and yes, of course i recognize the floor! i have an eight year old boy as well, so the blue and green won out over pink. love your playhouse! we have very lucky kids! i especially like the location of our playroom: it is completely opposite of the master bedroom on the far end of the house. i like to sleep late!

pinch me: i love your animals. and i'm so, so sorry for your losses! having them leave is just as painful as any human. my sweet cat of 19 years left us just last month and i miss her every day. all of your babies are so lovely and i took particular delight in seeing your big, beautiful gray cat strolling alongside his chicken friends! love your home!

• kateskouros
    13 years ago

i had a glimmer of hope for you when i saw your images appear at the end of the thread ...until i realized you had reposted.

i'm sorry about the PB problem. a while back i saw an ad for an online back up service with pretty reasonable pricing. i'll look for it and post to you when i find it. sorry again.

• marthavila
    13 years ago

Oh, Pinch, so very sorry for your losses! I can only imagine how much that hurts. And although I won't try to suggest how you might fill that void, I'm betting it's safe to say hat we Gwebbers will be here to play with you all summer long and beyond!

BTW, thus far I've been hesitant to comment on the individual houses in this thread. They are all so wonderful and reflective of the great diversity amongst us, that I hate to start commenting on "favorites." That said though, I gotta tell you Bee-- your house looks even more beautiful the second time around!

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Pinch me,

I am truly sorry for your loss. Please keep nurturing
    yourself in healthy ways. Spend time honoring your horse.
    Even a photo of your horse framed by your bed may sound
    silly but is a comfort. People don't realize that much time
    is spent alone with a horse. There is a special bond of
    communication that exists between horse and rider that is
    profound. And then on top of this you loose your dog.
    Dogs give off a sense of loyalty and peace.
    I am so sorry you have this happening right now.
    Thinking of you and hoping as time passes, the pain will
    be less.
    ~boxer

"No heaven can heaven be, if my horse isn't there to welcome me."

and

"Many years ago when an adored dog died, a bishop, said "You must always remember that, as far as the Bible is concerned, God only threw the humans out of Paradise"

• cat_mom
    13 years ago

Love those quotes boxerpups!

pinch_me, I hope with each passing day, the hurt is a little less.

I am so sorry for your recent losses.

• prill
    13 years ago

pinch_me - I'm so sorry about your dog and horse.
    Our animals are so much a part of our lives and our family.
    They enrich every day.

I hope you can find comfort and with time you can move on. I know it takes a while.

• neesie
    13 years ago

What lovely homes everyone has. With all the different styles and tastes the thing that stands out is that they are really homes where families live and not staged sets.

And Beekeeperswife, may I just say "WOW".

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone. I can go to the barn without crying most days. One day soon I won't cry for a whole day.

(Her picture has always stood by my bed until I moved here. Its place here is the bathroom counter. It is just a snapshot taken over 20 years ago.)

This is Sophie ready to steal food. She ruled Brownie and was quite naughty to her. She would stand at the top of the kitchen steps and not let Brownie come up.

Brownie's last picture.

Missy July 2009

A long time friend has brought a mare and colt to stay here for a while. It's been a long time since I've had a foal around. Unfortunately, the foal is very sick. But, life goes on. I should have put my pet cemetery in a different place. I didn't know it would have so many.

• boxerpups
    13 years ago

Pinch-me,
    Beautiful. Brownie and Missy's soul just sings to the heart.
    And Sophie sounds like a hoot.
    You must be a true angle to take on the foal.
    Best wishes, thanks for the pics.
    ~boxer

• John Liu
    13 years ago

When this thread was active, I was on the road and hadn't any pictures to post. Then I got locked out of my GW account. And then I got locked out of my Photobucket account. Sigh. That's why I am such a Johnny Come Latey here.

So, this is my 1911 Portland three story four square, (very) vaguely craftsman-cottage inspired. It is very typical of the houses built 100 years ago for the small urban lots here. It has the tight floorplan of a four square, the trim and built-ins popular at the time (indeed, my neighbor has the identical moldings - must have been a sale at the local mill then), and the misfortune to be inhabited by a very messy and cluttery family. Clever photography has hidden the half-built balsa airplane (err, maybe not) on the living room game table, one of the lazy cats on the chairs, the Lego Death Star that graces the dining room, and so on. I didn't tidy up the piles of books, and you may see the huge red balloon and the fencing foil, that are destined to meet someday.

So now you see the house into which my kitchen must fit. After reading the excellent threads on contextual beauty, I realize that my cherished Royal Tuscan kitchen vision may not be quite right for this house, and perhaps not my Space Odyssey kitchen vision either. I think I will be pursuing the contextually harmonious themes of Clutter And Clash. No, not the '80s band.

The kitchen is pointless to show, not just because it is a "before", but also because you can see one just like it down at Home Depot. I wonder what it was like before they gutted it?

• kitchendetective
    13 years ago

Dear, dear John. You continue to amaze. I love your home. Folks with a very rich life live there.
    DH now has the ceiling of one of our barns devoted to 21 of the model planes and ducted fan "jets" he has built. No Death Stars, but I do recall Lego everything else when the DSes were younger, and one eeevil cat who lived to destroy DS1's complex edifices.

• honorbiltkit
    13 years ago

johnliu --

Didn't you bring up steampunk style a few months ago? Someone on that thread posted pics of a drop dead wonderful kitchen with black cabinets and a range that looks like a Victorian steam engine. I loved it but recall thinking that it was a kitchen for a cool misty climate, not the too often steamy climes of the Potomac.

Anyway, I can envision a variation of that kitchen in your house. Walking through a (vaguely) Craftsman living space into a (vaguely) Paddington Station kitchen is not so far fetched.

Smashing house, in any case.

• melissastar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK...I've finally got a decent day, time and a working camera. So here are some pictures of the house my kitchen fits in! Baltimore's version of the painted ladies.

living room fireplace/stove...ignore the broom handle on the right, please.

the reading nook in the front of the house

the hall of mirrors (aka stairway)

my favorite part of the master bath...the reflection of the window on the shower glass

master bedroom fireplace...unfortunatly not working

one of the three stained glass pocket doors...this one to the master bedroom

Posting still-unfinished kitchen pictures next!
    (See beekeepers wife...I did eventually post!)

• mtnrdredux_gw
    12 years ago

Melissa,
    It's beautiful. I love the roof line -- pretty unusual. And is it clay tile?

Great color choices. I love the paint detail in the arch!

• melissastar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, it's a clay tile roof...at least that little bit you see is. Behind it is a big flat ugly rubber roof. Only good thing about it...it makes a great place for a roof deck!

• John Liu
    12 years ago

Don't take this the wrong way, melissastar, but I'm in love. I am so happy you didn't stuff a conventional kitchen in that lady.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

I do see! Thanks! Your home is beautiful. I didn't know you are in Baltimore, so close. I hope that more people will post their photos. This has been such a fun thread. Glad to see it pop back up!

• melissastar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Johnliu: Hmmm...it's not the in love part I'm wondering about. It's the definition of conventional kitchen! I don't think of mine as particularly UNconventional!

Bee...can't recall where you are?

• steff_1
    12 years ago

Beautiful houses johnliu and melissastar. Great that you've maintained the character of the house.

All the houses here are so nice to see and I hope it keeps going too.

• lisa_a
    12 years ago

johnliu, I agree with kitchendetective, "Folks with a very rich life live there."

melissastar, I love your "hall" of mirrors! Very clever.

• beekeeperswife
    12 years ago

In the corner where PA,MD,DE meet.

• prill
    12 years ago

Melissa - just saw this - beautiful!

• summersucks
    12 years ago

*backs slowly away from this thread*

wow. I am way intimidated. I'm so neverever posting pics of our teeny tiny infill that looks like student housing in comparison to all your magazine spread quality homes. WOW. I am so out of my league!

• judydel
    12 years ago

I just found this awesome thread today. John you're not the only one late for the party, he he.

Is it too late to revive this discussion? If not, I just may chime in later tonight.

• phoggie
    12 years ago

Oh my, I am so glad Bee referred me to this post. I missed it because I was in the hospital.....so THANKS Bee! This was so much fun to look at all of the beautiful decorating everyone has done to your homes...maybe more will want to add to this post~~hope so.

• chiefneil
    12 years ago

I'm coming in late to this thread, but here's a few photos. You can click on the photos to see more at my photobucket album.

Master bath with natural-cleft quartzite floors
    {{gwi:1385408}}

More master bath - the missus' makeup area. I made the little jewelry cabinet on the counter.
    {{gwi:1385411}}

Den (Scherr's cabinets, finished and installed by me)

Living room/music room (tile is tarvertine with copper accents in a pinwheel pattern)

Swimming pool (my daughter walks on walker :) This is actually the view directly out my kitchen windows. The waterfall cascades into the pond, then feeds back into the pool.
    {{gwi:1754358}}

The backyard at night, an awesome place for small dinner parties.

• cat_mom
    12 years ago

chiefneil--oh, how I wold love to be at one of those small dinner parties! What an absolutely wonderful setting (and a beautiful home)!!!