Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nyrgirl35

Base drawer questions....

nyrgirl35
9 years ago

I had a previous thread asking which option was better under the MW/speed oven (cabinets or drawers)? I had decided I liked the 3 drawers.

My question now is should I get rid of the base cabinet next to DW, move the DW over and make the 3 drawers longer? Will that look ok ? I figure I can use those drawers if I make them longer for pots and pans? Also is that enough space for me to stand by sink and load the DW?

Second, next to my stove on the other side I will have 30" drawers and one of the drawers will be for the warming drawer, I believe the WD will be a deep drawer and the other two not so much so those drawers I won't be able to store pots and pans correct?

Comments (16)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This is across from other cabinets one of 30" drawers will be a warming drawer!

• jill314
    9 years ago

How big is the cabinet next to the dishwasher? I think drawers that big (30" plus whatever that is) would be too big.

Honestly, you might feel like a crazy person doing it, but if I were you I might just take a bunch of pots and pans to a kitchen showroom and see how big of a drawer you want for them. :)

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The cabinet next to DW is 15" and the drawers right now are 24 or 27". The drawers on the other side are 30" with warming drawer.

• debrak2008
    9 years ago

Just for reference. I have a 30" 3 drawer base for my pots and pans. I don't have that many and it works fine. I have a 36" 3 drawer base and has all my dishes, bowls, casseroles, etc.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

30" drawers are functional at best.
    Any smaller and you're going to wonder why you bothered, particularly if you're thinking pots and pans.

You're talking to a chick with 12, 15, 18, 24, 27, 30 and 36" wide drawer bases. Up to 18, you're talking oven mitts and tin foil, saran wrap, etc. I would not go any bigger than 36", simply because of the weight involved.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I would think you'd want the pots & pans closer to the range.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

CEFreeman being that you have all the drawer sizes can you help me out deciding what should be drawers and what should be cabinets and sizes?

-In my picture the cabinet by DW is 15" (should I get rid of this to move DW down or make it drawers or different size)
    -Drawers on other size of DW are 27"
    -Drawers to right of stove is 21"
    -stove is flanked by (2) 9" pullouts
    -Drawers to left of stove are 30" but one of those drawers is a warming drawer which I think will take away from storage space in other drawers?
    -cabinet next to 30" drawers is 39"
    Thanks

• ardcp
    9 years ago

if you are doing a super susan, you could put your pots and pans in there. it fits all of mine plus colanders and glass bowls and is right next to my stove, very convenient.

• CEFreeman
    9 years ago

You know, I'm not very good at this unless I draw it out on graph paper.

I don't think anything should be base reach-in cabinets unless it's some kind of 'Susan. I might not be the one to make recommendations! :)

You need to know the measurements of your warming drawer, since it seems so much depends upon it.
    I also think you're going to find your DW in a very inconvenient place. Plus, that's a wonky way to have to run your plumbing.

What did you plan to put in that 15" cabinet? I have to admit, I have 4 of these and think they're too skinny. I surely don't recommend a 15" drawer base unless the top drawer is about 4" deep. Anyway, do you actually need a reach-in?

You have a 39" drawer base? That's rather big. Make certain your drawer glides will support anything heavy. .

What's to the left of your sink? Is that a beer tap to the left of your stove in the corner?

I like your drawings, But if you give me your length, etc., I can try to draw your room out here to see what I think.

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The only thing I think I would need a reach in for is maybe my kitchen aid, vitamix and coffee pot things like that. Now I've never had base drawer cabinets so I have no idea what you can fit in them.
    -My warming drawer is 30" it's the kitchenaid
    -The 39" was a double door cabinet not drawers
    -prep sink is on peninsula to the left of the stove in a 36" corner cabinet
    -under the peninsula I have a 24" 2 refrigerator drawers and 12" cabinet on end
    I will attach my basic layout although I have made some changes to it since then but nothing major this is the basic layout
    I got rid of trash pull out, switched WD to other side of stove and added the refrigerator drawers and 2 9" pullouts flanking stove for baking sheets and cutting boards. I'm open to any changes for drawers and cabinets
    Thanks!

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The room is 26'L x 9'W with the 10' opening. The wall that the Fridge is on is 156"

• annkh_nd
    9 years ago

I know a lot of people here object to a DW adjacent to the sink, but in your case I don't know how to avoid it. I lived that way for 24 years in my old kitchen, and put it the same way in the new kitchen. It was the lesser of evils, in terms of making the best use of ALL my space. You just have to make sure your supply and drain lines are long enough to reach.

My sink-to-DW corner is similar to yours, with a super susan in the corner. The change I did make in my kitchen was to put a trash pullout between the susan and the DW - trying to stand in that 12" space to put dishes away in the cupboard was a pain. Can you get a trash in 15"? Did you say you got rid of the trash pullout between range and prep sink? Where do you plan to put the trash?

Anything can go in drawers - pots and pans, plates, cake pans (on their sides, with internal dividers to keep them from falling over), small appliances, canisters. The trick is to make sure the drawers are tall enough for the items you want to store. In my kitchen, the bottom two drawers in 3-drawer stacks are taller than the middle one.

A 39" base cabinet with fixed shelves is likely to turn into a black hole, but 39" is pretty wide for a drawer, unless you know you won't put a lot of heavy things in it. I have a Tupperware drawer that's pretty wonderful.

• Muffett
    9 years ago

I kept a 15" base cabinet for my KA mixer - it sits in a roll out tray and is easy to access.

• peony4
    9 years ago

Nyrgrl, in your new layout, do you have access to a trash bin near the DW and sink? This would be a deal-breaker for my functionality and sanity during post-meal clean-up.

I have one 18-inch drawer bank and a super susan for pots and pans. The 18-inch is surprisingly functional for frying pans and casserole pans. The super susan holds everything else perfectly.

Most of the rest of my drawers are 24-inch, and very functional. I'm not sure I'd be happier with anything wider.

Jill's recommendation to go to showroom with your pots and pans is practical... I did that. It was particularly helpful in determining width clearance for super susan with some of my wider cast-iron pots.

• romy718
    9 years ago

Hopefully some of the layout gurus with help you with the configuration of your base cabinets.

My 2 cents...I love my drawers. Convert every lower cabinet you can to a drawer stack. I have four 36" drawers. I had to change the Blum glides on those to heavy duty glides. All my other drawers (less than 30") are fine altho I'd suggest HD glides to any drawer you might put more than 75 lbs in, including the weight of the actual drawer.
    Here is a link to a great thread about drawers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Everything you wanted to know about drawers

This post was edited by romy718 on Fri, May 2, 14 at 19:09

• nyrgirl35
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Annkh glad to hear your DW sink arrangement is same as mine. I was considering getting rid of of the 15" cabinet and moving DW down but was worried about the small space in between. So I'm leaving the 15" I will check to see if I can fit a trash bin in there ( for me it doesn't have to be a pull out )
    -Or like Muffett said perfect spot for KA mixer.
    - Peony4 if I can't use the 15" cabinet next to DW for trash I will have the trash under both main and prep sink (I'm ok with not having a pull out trash) and good hear that your small drawers still function well for you!
    -the 39" cabinet might be my one black hole cabinet but not sure what other configurations would work better?