Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
hags00

Brookhaven vs Medallion vs Dura Supreme?

hags00
11 years ago

I'll pull the trigger soon and stop asking questions!

I have three cabinet quotes with Brookhaven being the most expensive and Medallion and Dura Supreme being about equivalent.

Isn't Dura Supreme supposed to be a "better" cabinet then Medallion? I thought Dura and Brookhaven were going to be about the same because I thought they were about the same grade of cabinet. The Brookhaven and Medallion quotes are from the same KD and the Dura Supreme is from the KD I usually work with and I think he gives me a decent price and he knows I am upgrading from the Merillat's that I got last year on my current house and was not happy with.

Comments (25)

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

Dura Supreme Alectra and Crestwood should price the way you indicate. I've sold Brookhaven and Medallion at a prior employer and looked into taking on Dura Supreme here. Medallion and Dura Supreme (all grades) are both pocket hole construction for face frames, Brookhaven is doweled.
    For frameless the DS and BH construction are the same.
    In my opinion the pricing you got reflects the quality of the cabinets. All are a step up from Merrilat Classic.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Interesting information you provide jakuvall.

Are mortise and tennon cabinetry joints becoming a relic and if so, does the cabinet buying public know the industry has turned to pocket hole construction due to ease of mass production? At near $1000 base and upper cabinet cost, shouldn't one expect a doweled face frame kitchen cabinet typical on furniture? Of course, buyer beware is the fall back.

My question with Medallion and DS or any of the many other pocket hole construction face frame cabinet makers, if you know, is do they glue the end grain? Or is this step now non-industry standard and skipped too?

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

SparklingWater- they are glued. How. Well depends on the mfg.since it is end grain to cross grain the glue loint depends a lot on what glue and how weLl it is done. It is still relying on the screw. They are very common. I was recently surprised when looking for a cabinet brand that priced between my pocket hole brand and my mortise and tenon brand.
    True mortise and tenon frames (NOT doors) are rare, even with small custom builders-many use pocket holes..dowels or biscuits if you are lucky. I once dealt with a brand that proudly used a loose tenon but it was a poor execution and they would be a better cabinet with pocket holes IMO.

This business like most is based on selling the sizzle and not the steak. I find it dissappointing but many clients don't want to know the real details. "Dovetail drawers, soft close, plywood- must be a good cabinet". There is so much else that is more important.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I hope the OP finds this information helpful. It seems many cabinetry manufacturers are using pocket screws on the box, better ones not on the face frame itself (although there are wood patches available to cover the screw).

I just spent several hours reading on sawmillcreek.org woodworking forum for a better understanding of this topic. Thanks too, to jakavall for initiating this discussion. You helped me a lot.

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

I hope the OP finds this information helpful. It seems many cabinetry manufacturers are using pocket screws on the box, better ones not on the face frame itself (although there are wood patches available to cover the screw).

I just spent several hours reading on sawmillcreek.org woodworking forum for a better understanding of this topic. Thanks too, to jakavall for initiating this discussion. You helped me a lot.

• hags00
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The OP doesn't know what you are talking about! I design transmissions for your car for a living and can tell you what every part does in there but what I know about cabinet and furniture construction can fit in a thimble!!

My house two houses ago had 30 year old Merillat's, maybe classics and may be builder grade and they all held up well and there were no issues save for a few hinge adjustments. My current house has cherry Merillat Classics that I installed myself. No functional issues with the cabinets at all over the past 12 months. I was not happy with the quality of the finishes, particularly side panels and some doors for the money I paid. They also had a fair amount of handling type damage which just shows a lack of attention to detail at the factory to me.

My KD wants to keep me as a customer (this is the third kitchen in three years I have done) and when I mentioned going up to the Merillat Masterpiece line (made in the same factory as Kraftmaid) he suggested the Dura Supreme and they are currently running a special with no upcharge for cherry or maple so the price point it good.

I am impressed with your knowledge of all three brands, Jakuvall. Which would you recommend between the two lower price points DuraSupreme and Medallion?

• SparklingWater
    11 years ago

Sorry about the double post. Finally figured out how that happens so as to avoid. Pocket joint cabinetry construction is widely used now in the mid low to mid range (maybe beyond) cabinetry, fast to make the box, easier on the manufacturers profit margin. May be helpful for owners to ask about, see if it includes the front of the box too (the face), so to judge the overall make of the cabinetry and what one is willing to pay for it.

Below is a thread jakuvall started on White Painted Shaker Cabinet Pricing Comparison-maybe it will help you see comparisons of two cabinets (upper and base). Dura Supreme isn't on it unfortunately.

Hope this helps you in some manner.

Here is a link that might be useful: Helpful link:

• hags00
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you! That is an interesting link!

• jakuvall
    11 years ago

hags00
    "The OP doesn't know what you are talking about!"
    the pricing you got is in line with what it should be
    Brookhaven is a better built cabinet than the other two, hence it costs more (sometimes)

"Which would you recommend between the two lower price points DuraSupreme and Medallion?"
    I have extensive experience with Medallion and Brookhaven. I went through the process of considering carrying DuraSupreme but did not simply because they did not suit the spot I was trying to fill. I have no direct experience so can't comment on that brand.

If both have everything you you want, and you have a KD you like, trust, and you think knows what they are doing then get the cabinets from them.

• mamadadapaige
    11 years ago

I don't know much about DS or Medallion, but I have been working at a showroom that sells Woodmode/Brookhaven for the past year and a half.

One way to keep your costs down with Brookhaven is to choose a no-upcharge door style. Not sure which door you had priced or which wood species but it can make a significant difference on the price. The edgemont raised and recessed door are our most popular no-upcharge. stained maple is 0% for wood species, cherry adds 10%, painted maple adds 5%. Hope this helps.

Oh, also, linking below a finished kitchen that was posted recently. It is another of Brookhaven's no upcharge doors: Bridgeport and it is in stained maple. So this kitchen is $0 upcharge door and $0 wood species and I think it looks amazing!

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: Finished Brookhaven kitchen

• hags00
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you Jakuvall and mamadadapaige, that is a beautiful kitchen in the link. I do want a simple shaker door so I think I am there with no door upcharge and I do not want paint or special finishes. I did quote one in both Maple and Cherry and the Brookhaven and Medallion in just cherry but I do think that kitchen is beautiful and really just my style.

Going to talk to both KD's and make a decision this week. Gotta get these cabinets on order!

Thanks to all for your help!

• maggiebkit
    11 years ago

What did you finally decide?

• maggiebkit
    11 years ago

Hags00-
    So excited for you ! Glad you are happy with your choice!
    Can't wait to see!

• Mh Schwarz
    9 years ago

How were you able to by DuraSupreme direct as a DIY?

• Maine Susan
    9 years ago

Yes, I was wondering that myself... 'How were you able to by DuraSupreme direct as a DIY?"

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

We're happy to see you chose Dura Supreme and are happy with your choice. A fun fact for this discussion, Dura Supreme's Designer Cabinetry was named Consumer Digest's Best Buy in Premium cabinets. You can check it out on their website.

Thank you hags00 for choosing Dura Supreme! Mandi @ Dura

• elisalinscott
    8 years ago

HAGS00, I came across your conversation above while trying to find reviews of DuraSupreme cabinets. How happy are you with the cabinets a few yrs later? I am looking at their modern, acrylic hi gloss cabinets. But worry about all the mixed reviews.

• Rose Jay
    8 years ago

elisalinscott - I know a few people that have Dura Supreme cabinets and love them. My mother has some that are about 7 years old I think and she loves them still. I'm planning a kitchen remodel in the next 2-3 years and have been seriously considering them. When I was looking at reviews I ran into a site called kitchencabinetsreviews.com and got thrown off, but I was curious what organization the site was with, it didn't say how they were really associated with cabinets. Then I looked up who owns the web address and found that the owner of that website also is the owner of a website for an online cabinet company called US Home Products that sells MidContinent cabinetry which seemed kind of odd if you ask me. I've seen a few other review sites that look fishy for other products too. You gotta be careful where you get your advice.

The best thing to do is find someone who actually owns the product and also see it and test it in person. Hopefully HAGS00 will respond and let us know what they think of their purchase. I'd love to know too.

• theadgepath
    8 years ago

DuraSupreme was the biggest remodel disappointment I have had.

The kitchen designer had made a couple mistakes when
    designing the kitchen. The additional parts to correct his errors were
    outrageously priced. Particle board construction with solid wood face frames
    but much of the particle board was already cracked upon arrival. Many of the
    corner and reinforcement blocks fell off as they didn't hit them with the
    finish nails. I had to remove the door
    and remount it on the lazy susan as there was no way to get it adjusted
    correctly. Many of my doors have warped. One which is just a face frame that
    holds glass in the corner cabinets has cracked at the joint. I do not live in an
    arid or humid climate and we use a humidifier and dehumidifier. Durasupreme
    says they only have a one year warranty on warpage so we're out of luck unless
    we want to pay $269 for a face frame with no glass and over $300 for a pantry
    door that may do it again. I will never ever use them in my home or any of the
    commercial buildings I manage.

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago

theadgepath -

I am sorry to hear about the concerns you have with your cabinetry. We take pride in the craftsmanship of our products and we want to make sure you are happy and satisfied with your cabinetry.

We want to work with you to help investigate and resolve this issue. Your first contact for our product should be your Dura Supreme dealer who you ordered your cabinetry through. If your dealer is not able to assist, please email me directly at duramarketing@durasupreme.com so that I can help you with these issues?

- Thank You

• Mir Co
    8 years ago

Theadgepath - I must decide in the next week if I want to order Brookhaven or Dura Supreme. Did you get your problems resolved? Are you satisfied? Was the service good? I prefer the kitchen designer who is selling Dura Supreme to the other kitchen designer who is selling Brookhaven, but I don't want to receive an inferior product!

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago

Mir Co. - If you'd like to see more reviews on Dura Supreme, take a look at our Houzz profile. We've received the "Recommended" badge from Houzz for having such a high review rating. We hope your remodel goes well and would love to be your cabinetry choice. Have a great week! Mandi @ Dura

• PRO
    Dura Supreme Cabinetry
    8 years ago

Also, you can also see a nice testimonial video here if you are interested. Mandi @ Dura

• Gretchen Davis
    5 years ago

had a kitchen done in all medallion cabinetry and there is visible cracking at the joints where they say on their website that is normal and won't be covered under warranty. Looking to add more cabinets and will definitely not use medallion. I can't believe what you get for the price and mine are only a few years old! so sad