Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meaves_gw

Calling all Creams!!! Tell me your cabinet paint color. . .

meaves
14 years ago

I am looking for the "perfect" creamy off white paint for my new cabinets. No stains or glazes--just a plain color that looks great on its own.

My KD has suggested Sherwin Williams Antique White. I have also seen pics of Pratt and Lambert Lambswool that looked great via my computer monitor.

What else should I consider? Also, what finish did you use? Flat, eggshell, etc. . .pics would be great!! Thank you!

Comments (16)

• trav86
    14 years ago

SW Westhighland White, eggshell finish. It's kind of a brighter cream color, if that makes any sense. We have honed Carrara counters and I didn't want there to be too too much contrast. Very happy with the color. The SW site has a color viewer I found very useful.

• leanne123
    14 years ago

Try BM Cloud White -- it's a warm white. My kitchen is almost finished -- just waiting for granite to be installed. I couldn't be more happier with the colour of my cabinets.

• rhome410
    14 years ago

I put Lancaster White (BM Satin Impervo) on our island and our kids' bedrooms' built-ins. I love it. It's really a creamy color, so just a slightest hint of buttery yellow, I guess...But is not enough so anyone thinks it's light yellow. It's SO hard to show it right in photos. This is the best I have:

I'm pretty sure Mamadadapaige's kitchen is the same color, so if you can find photos of it, you'll see a larger sample.

• ddkitchen
    14 years ago

I followed the advice on this forum and used BM mayonnaise. I am so glad I did. It's a gorgeous creamy white--not too bright white, not too beige.

• farmhousebound
    14 years ago

Haven't started on our cabinets yet but they will be BM mayonnaise. I have started painting crown molding this color throughout our renovation and tinted the ceiling paint same--we love it!

• pattyk_64
    14 years ago

I've used BM Navajo White which is more cream/beige than white.
    Here is a link to a previous post

Here is a link that might be useful: Navajo White kitchen

• yesdear
    14 years ago

Here's a link to our earlier post.

The white walls are BM Cloud White in eggshell (Aura water-based). The cabs and trim are BM Lemon Chiffon (oil-based semi-gloss for the cabs, gloss for the trim).

Here is a link that might be useful: 1930 Spanish Kitchen

• meaves
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks for all the suggestions! Looks like I have a great place to start!

yesdear, your kitchen is breathtaking! When I clicked on the link, I completely forgot that I was supposed to be looking at cabinet color--I was so immersed in the whole thing!

• judydel
    14 years ago

We're ordering our cabinets in BM Cloud White also. So far, we've painted Cloud White on trim and doors and we're very pleased.

Leanne I'm so glad you are happy with the color. Can't wait to see your photos! Any previews?

• mindstorm
    14 years ago

Farrow & Ball Pointing (although F&B have other even deeper colours for a creamy off-white).

Pointing is a really lovely cream - not a yellow-based cream but a red-based one. Whatever. The end result is a very crisp yet soft creamy-white.

I don't have this on my cabinets but about half the trim in my house is painted in this paint at this point in time. Over time, I'll upgrade the rest to this one.

• farmhouse_cook
    14 years ago

We selected SW Alabaster on the recommendation of our cabinet maker and the designer at the SW store and although the cabinets are only partly installed, we are very happy with this shade of creamy white. By the way, in our area, if you buy your paint at SW, they offer free design service to help choose paint colors. The SW designer actually helped me choose the kitchen wall color (Garden Sage) along with colors for foyer, adjoining den and laundry room. Just a thought...
    Good luck with your decision!

• gail428
    14 years ago

We used BM Linen White on the cabinets and trim - very warm and creamy

Here is a link that might be useful: Kitchen Renovation

• americancolleen
    14 years ago

I'm caught between (all BM) calming cream, vanilla ice cream, mayonnaise and linen white. Depending on the light in your kitchen, the underlying color looks very different. I had a small amount made up by my local shop and I painted a good sized sample of each on wood - I'm leaning towards the calming cream because of the light in my kitchen - it shows a creamy white with a hint of creamy yellow rather than a beigier background color.

The new BM Aura paint is amazing - and they have samples of each color in a small bottle so you can test them out in your home. The paint is rather expensive but covers in one coat and goes on like silk.

• rnest44
    14 years ago

I'm using BM Aura paint in Dove White on my glass front uppers. That area of my kitchen gets little natural light and the countertops will be beech. In my space it reads cool (grey) but not stark which is great with my current 1st choice for granite.

Agree with above post: light in your kitchen is a big factor on how a color reads. Grab some of these color names and check them out in your space at different times of the day.

• pvcamom
    14 years ago

Yesdear: Your kitchen is beautiful! I would never have thought of green color for the kitchen, but your kitchen looks amazing, especially when I saw a glimpse of "before" pics. I live in S CA as well. Were you happy w/ the KD? I'm having alot of problems w/last minute decisions...creamy cab colors, granite, lighting....getting a bit overwhelmed. I don't know how my neighbors did it on their own. They keep telling me that I can do it, but I'm not too sure.

Gail428: Thanks for sharing so many pics. I hope my kitchen turns out as well as yours did. I wish I had some extra space for the coat area. Great kitchen!