Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
annab6_gw

How about yellow cabinets? Bad for resale?

annab6
14 years ago

There is a high-end place near us which has a display with yellow glazed cabinets I always notice. Here is another version from their website:

http://www.kuche-cucina.com/kitchens_TRD5.htm

The color always felt more cook-friendly to me than white or cream but I haven't thought of it for our kitchen just because it is not a commonly used one.

We are not planning to sell soon but most likely will sell sometime (may be in 12-15 years) and also want to be in good shape in case we have to sell sooner. So we picked stained maple to keep it light and practical (nothing ordered yet, long story).

But now that we are painting the house, I realized that warm yellow tones look great in our house so I am thinking of that yellow again or may be even doing yellow uppers with dark walnut-color lowers (we are using custom cabinetry also, just not as high-end as this particular place).

What does everyone think? Like or dislike?

Comments (29)

• Circus Peanut
    14 years ago

Yay yellow! I have some "antique yellow" cabinetry along with my stained cherry, and I adore it. ... and I was never even a big yellow fan (!).

You can't tell, but the insides of my pantry drawers (next to fridge) are yellow:

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

As is the back side of my peninsula:
    {{!gwi}}

and the tile backsplash and range hood:
    {{!gwi}}

Personally I think it's a very good idea to move away from the ubiquitous white if you are planning to sell in the next few years. Not that the white isn't gorgeous, but it's slightly colder than some folks enjoy and you might distinguish your kitchen that way.

One kitchen with really nice yellow cabinetry belongs to bayareafrancy -- I don't think she's on the finished kitchens blog, but search for her name on this forum for some great pictures of her space.

• ni_2006
    14 years ago

reno_fan has beautiful yellow cabinets (they used to be white). I am attaching a link to her post where she included pictures.

Here is a link that might be useful: reno_fan's kitchen

• rnest44
    14 years ago

12 to 15 years is a long time. If I were a prospective buyer at that point I would be more interested in the layout and the space itself. Painting cabinets is less tedious then it used to be and replacement might play into it by then too.

Go with what you like. Did you see this thread? I think it could be helpful to you too.

Here is a link that might be useful: mixing cabinet colors

• claireking
    14 years ago

I love yellow and if you like it and going to live in your house in the next few years I think that you should go with it.
    Here are some great yellow ones that someone saved here:

Here is a link that might be useful: yellow kitchens

• boxerpups
    14 years ago

I miss my yellow kitchen.
    And I must tell you that our old house sold in 24 hours.
    Maybe we were just lucky.
    Yellow is perfect in a kitchen. It brings a sunny, warm
    and happy feeling. There are so many yellows.
    Benjamin Moore has some great ones.
    Lemonade, Banana Yellow, Yellow rice, Golden Glow,
    Texas Rose, Mist Flower, Happy Honey, Forsythia
    and my favorite Moon lit yellow.
    Go for yellow. It will look amazing.

Bungalobliss

Clive Christian

Pointclick home kitchen blog

Straub

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• pluckymama
    14 years ago

I love yellow cabinets. Go with what you love. 12 years is a long time. Read renofan's thread.

• Happyladi
    14 years ago

Twelve years? Get yellow if you want yellow. I personally wouldn't want bright yellow cabinets but a soft yellow could be very pretty.

• eandhl
    14 years ago

One of the most beautiful kitchens I ever saw had pale yellow cabs. I say do what will make you happy. Now for what it is worth, we have barn red cabs, they make us happy and that is all that mattered.

• shelayne
    14 years ago

Yellow is such a happy color. We painted our master bedroom a very soft yellow (Behr Opal Cream), and I LOVE it. It is such a fresh and sunny room, even in the dead of winter. My cabs are going to be a creamy white with a yellow base, so I may be biased, but I say GO FOR IT, if it makes your heart sing!

Boxerpups, you always find the most AMAZING kitchen photos! I love them.

• cooksnsews
    14 years ago

Only the most unimaginative of realtors could describe any of these yellow kitchens as "bad for resale."

• bob_cville
    14 years ago

I'd say that it definitely depends on the particular yellow in question. My house had yellow cabinets when we bought it, and they were almost bad enough to make us pass on the house.

So if you go with yellow, don't go with this yellow:

{{!gwi}}{{!gwi}}

Also you should probably not pair the yellow cabinets with ugly flowered wallpaper. :-)

• crazyhouse6
    14 years ago

OMG Bob - Those are YELLOW!!!

Boxerpup - Amazing pictures!

I say go with what you like, but... if you are anything like me, I am always worried that I will tire of something that is too bold! I like the idea of doing an island or hutch in yellow and the rest in white or stained. It would bring the beautiful yellow in, yet be neutral enough that you wouldn't find it overwhelmingly yellow.

• palimpsest
    14 years ago

If you paid attention to television realtorspeak (which has not been my experience with realtors IRL) every kitchen would have granite countertops, matching SS appliances that are less than 3 years old, and neutral paint.

Get the yellow cabinets, if thats what you want. As for resale it could possibly be the thing that set you apart from all those other houses with granite countertops, new SS appliances and neutral paint :)

• southernstitcher
    14 years ago

Another yellow fan here. Dana Delaney's character on Desperate Hosewives has pretty yellow cabs. I wish my DH would let me paint mine. I'd paint them a creamy soft yellow like that last picture boxerpups posted, do some after market bells and whistles, new appliances, lighting, and call it a day. He'd save THOUSANDS of dollars, but he won't let me paint.

• officewench
    14 years ago

I just backed my kitchen out from a vibrant, bright yellow to a creamy, yellow-tinged ivory. I miss my yellow but with an open concept house and a dark red living room I would have looked like I was living in a circus tent. Or an old school McDonald's!

I think if you're planning on living in the house you should decorate it to suit you. I would have coloured cabs in my kitchen if I could talk my DH into it. He doesn't see colour very well so he has some weird ideas about what looks good.

• annab6
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone for the encouragement, I am so glad I am not alone with my "yellow" idea! No, I wouldn't do one from Bob's photo, but the last one posted by boxerpup looks great. Boxerpup, which site did you get these photos from?

• User
    14 years ago

Yellow has always been our favorite. If I could have a kitchen with soft yellow cabinets and creamy off white walls, I'd be estatic. Hmmmm...maybe I should propose a new kitchen project to DH. :c)

Go for it, it will undoubtedly be gorgeous!

• cambreno
    14 years ago

Yes, that last one from boxerpup is my favorite, too. I'd love to know the color and manufacturer of the paint.

• cskye
    11 years ago

I am new to this site and would love to be able to enlarge three photos. They are posted by CliveChristian, Bungalobliss, and Straub? Would you someone please tell me how I can do that?

Thank you.

• marcolo
    11 years ago

Where did all the photos go?

I'm doing a yellow kitchen--for me, not some hypothetical future stranger. If they show up and don't like it, they can $&@$ my @#$.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Here is a bit better version:

• sis2two
    11 years ago

Angie--Would you or anyone here happen to know the wall color in the picture that you posted? I love it! Very pretty kitchen.

If I wanted the yellow cabinets I would go with what you love. In 12 years everything may be different anyway. I am repainting my cabs that are 12 yrs. old because mine are outdated. A lot can happen in that span of time with regard to what is in and what's considered out. Life is too short to not live with what makes you happy every day.

• angie_diy
    11 years ago

Not really. Here is the rest of the article. All they say is "green-gold walls."

The designers page is linked below. You could write them and ask.

Here is a link that might be useful: Callahan Design Group

• shannonaz
    11 years ago

I adore yellow cabs. I love yellow, period. DH and I have extremely different tastes and preferences and yellow is the color we agree on. I am sure there are people that don't love yellow but I think you have a great chance of appealing to future buyers...I seriously considered yellow cabs for our new kitchen but the existing wood in the house is a very yellow-y birch or pine and we just don't think it works well...

Good luck, I really hope you go with yellow cabs!!

• cawaps
    11 years ago

We did a "Design Around This" for yellow kitchens a while back. The first link is to the thread introduing the topic, and has a bunch of yellow kitchens across the decades. The second link has the design board folks on the site did.

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0202144714707.html?15

http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/kitchbath/msg0301475011272.html

• User
    11 years ago

I love yellow also, and the right color in a kitchen would be a big plus in my book (I think pale yellow looks good with natural wood also). I must say I prefer it paired with cooler colors (white, black, gray, blue / green) than with other warm colors (red / orange).

• 2LittleFishies
    11 years ago

We're doing yellow! Cabs will be in in October! Can't wait : )

• lyfia
    11 years ago

Looks like this post is almost 3 1/2 years old so I'm hoping the OP has decided. It is interesting though to see that since then it has become much more popular.