Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cawaps_gw

Design Around This #16: Yellow Kitchens

cawaps
12 years ago

Welcome to Design Around This #16. The theme this week is yellow kitchens. The only real rule here is that you need to feature yellow prominently, not just with accessories but with at least one major design element. However, that leaves plenty of room to introduce other colors, and yellow doesn't have to be the dominant color.

I posted a preview/info thread a week ago. It has examples of lots of different yellow kitchens, including a selction of vintage yellow kitchens.

Everyone is encouraged to participate. If it's your first time, you can find lots of information and encouragement on About the Design Around This threads. There are tips and techniques on how to create a moodboard. You can do something as simple as posting images grouped together, or use a variety of software to put something together.

Comments (121)

• dee850
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

And here's my second.

cabinets from a googled image
    Pure White Ceaserstone counter
    cobalt blue hex tile from website of Classic Tile & Marble in NYC
    Danze faucet
    white cast iron undermount sink
    BM white dove wall color
    Jenn-Air white range
    curtains made of Premier Prints ZigZag print
    Dwell Stellar base table
    Dwell's version of the Bertoia chair
    White pendant lamp from cb2
    cork floor

My comments on previous posts:
    cawaps Spanish Colonial: I love the tile and the blue/yellow mix. I also get a bit of a '70s vibe as Marcolo mentioned, but that could be due to some of my parents' late '70's decorating choices being similar.

purplepansies blue/purple with the yellow range: I really like the dark brown cabinets and the copper (or is it bronze) in this mix. Beautiful granite that I wouldn't normally think to pair with yellow, but it looks good. I like your later version with the lavender/gray paint even better.

palimpsest Naturally Yellow: I usually dislike unpainted yellow woods, but this comes together really well. I especially like the wallpaper.

palimpsest That ain't white: I love this version of the OTK! If I wanted to go in that direction with my own kitchen, this is the way I'd take it.
    pricklypearcactus Traditional Vintage Yellow: I love the style of your board. Having stuff placed out of scale lets you see the detail on the smaller items. This scheme looks very appealing. I'm a sucker for schoolhouse lampshades. Those La Cornue ranges are so not my personal style, yet I adore them.

palimpsest Willow: The retro look is very neat. I had been thinking entirely along very traditional lines for yellow, but it clearly works this way, too.

palimpsest Florence Broadhurst: Yellow floor, brilliant! Very unexpected. I love the wallpaper on this one, too.

palimpsest Serigrafia: I've always really liked this particular laminate pattern, and I don't even like most of the Memphis group designs. I like it with the penny round backsplash here.

purplepansies 2nd one, black lowers: I like this combo, again better with the more sage-y paint color. It may be a personal thing of mine, but I don't think I've ever seen a pale yellow paint on a wall that I really liked.

palimpsest Blackout: This one has a very "Wall Street" vibe to me. I could never live with something like this, but it does work!

palimpsest Back to Classicism: Now that's serious wallpaper! In the right house, I can see this being pretty cool.

marcolo's kitchen: On first look, I didn't like the blue with these tile colors, but it's grown on me on repeat viewings. I also remember Casarstone nougat being warmer in person, and I agree with cawaps that even warmer might be nice with the tile and cabinet scheme.

boxerpups: I love the gold-yellow tones here. Actually, seeing the gold hood makes me realize that I had completely forgotten that gold is in this color category. Love the yellow-blue fabric.

purplepansies last one, blue cabinets: I love the dark teal cabinets here. It's a little disturbing that I recognize them as Crown Point! Spending too much time on kitchens... I like the tile design here, but I think the green in the tile clashes just a little with the greenish-blue of the cabinets, so for me, a I think shift on one or the other would put it just right.

cawaps yellow/gray: I'm a fan of the trendy greige tones, so I like this. I'm not sure about the floor with everything else, though - it has an almost fire-y look on my monitor that seems in opposition to the calm of the other colors.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Boxer French Provincial: Nothing to forgive (I didn't even notice--everything goes into the collective unconscious, anyway). This is a very cheerful, pleasant kitchen. I like the blue and yellow, and the yellows balance well.

Purplepansies yellow & teal: Love the colors and the tile. Your daughter has good taste.

I liked the Eshel Ben-Jacob artwork, too. It reminds me of a friend of mine who does electron microscopy. She would use images from her work on her Christmas cards every year. We saw some amazingly beautiful pictures of really disgusting stuff.

• 2LittleFishies
    12 years ago

pricklypearcactus- In your Vintage Yellow Traditional kitchen, where did those schoolhouse lights come from? really nice : )

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Of the latest entries

Cawaps, intellectually I know this one works but I would have to make the floor different because of my thing.

Dee 1 and 2, Yellow and blue, like I've said, is a favorite combination , I would have to darken the floor in the first one to be more umber-y like the countertop.I think the second one is very effective.

• cawaps
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dee, I like your Maize kitchen. I think, though, that it deserves a cooler rangehood that better fits the vintage syle, maybe something custom framed.

Your bright yellow and white I love. The yellow and blue really pop against the white. The mirror (it's a mirror, right?) in the dining room is a great focal point, and the hex tile is eye-catching.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Are we going to set up the next one or wait a bit?

• cawaps
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I believe the next one is supposed to be Steampunk, as discussed and agreed on the last few threads. Marcolo said he wanted to set it up, though, so the timing depends a bit on his workload. I've been starting to put something together already...

• hosenemesis
    12 years ago

STEAMPUNK! STEAMPUNK! STEAMPUNK!

• dee850
    12 years ago

Thanks for the feedback! cawaps, I completely agree, my first one would definitely be better with a wood cabinet-style range hood. It's probably evidence of my lack of imagination that I get stuck on "clip-able" items in putting these together and then miss other reasonable choices. I'm learning!

That is a mirror in my second, forgot to list source: Arteriors galaxy star mirror from Zinc Door.

Steampunk will be very fun whether or not I manage to get a submission together. I can't wait to see what you all do!

• cawaps
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Dee, not at all. I meant to add that appropriate images of custom hoods (custom anything) are hard to find in the right combination of style/color I have to be pretty motivated to look for the right picture to go to the effort. It isn't lack of imagination, I just don't always have the time and energy to invest, especially since the results of the image search are usually disappointing in that the color or style is off. In real life, it's custom and you can get exactly what you want. With a Google image search you're stuck with the things that other people wanted.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Well, at last, right? Life has been difficult lately, but I started this challenge and decided it had to be finished, so, ta dah, Florantha's Egg Yolk Kitchen with red and gray.

A few things to notice, which are my experiments or interest in new products...

The Kenmore "Grab 'n go" French door refrigerator has a fascinating new kind of right door which opens without exposing the entire cooling area. Not sure what I think of it but I thought I'd look into it. 31 square feet, folks. Double oven is also Kenmore.

I don't know what the range and hood are, but they're of the sort that suits this no-nonsense cook's kitchen. I would as happily have chosen an induction cooktop I think. It's the stainless backsplash that intrigued me, by Specialty Stainless.

Sink is Whitehouse fireclay. Countertops are Corian "Caraway" Zodiac. Faucet is Grohe Concetto--was supposed to be a pull-down one but the sprayer is missing in photo.

Windows really intrigue me--they're Marvin no-center-stile push-out not crank-out casements. Sure wish I'd known about them before I bought my Pellas. Fabric for curtains is Waverly "Panama Wave."

Ceiling recessed fixtures have Minka Lavery glass outlining them: "Pumpkin" GT100. Pendants are E-2's "Amber Cloud."

Flooring is Mannington "Eagle Pass Hickory Tumbleweed." I have chosen Gel-Mat "cranberry" striated as my underfoot aid. A striped rug is included for counterpoint in eating area. Table is Old Biscayne Designs "Lee" and the chair is their "Karita." Reason for them is to attempt to cut the modern vibe of the other materials.

I went looking for a mustard yellow paint but ended up choosing Martha Stuart Living's "Egg Yolk." Cabs are Weypoint Maplespice. I like this combination and I think this could be a happy working kitchen. Haul in your multicolor Fiestaware if you like. I might stick to some kind of roughish stoneware, perhaps in reds.

• User
    12 years ago

Excuse me while I tear out my "new" kitchen and redesign it around cawaps Vintage Swedish Kilim from by Marta Maas Fjetterstrom from 1stDibs.com

!!!!!

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

Oh dear Steampunk...are you sure Steampunk?

The real steampunk or the silliness that some are cranking
    out calling steampunk?

I am afraid, veeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyyyyyy afraid.
    ~boxer

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

Cool refrigerator Florantha! I can see that being very helpful with kids who open the 'frig and just stand there, thinkin' . . .

Dee850, I love that hex tile with those yellow cabinets. Very fun and bold.

Yeah, I'm with Boxer - steampunk scares me. I don't even know what it is. But I'm willing to give it a try.

Another kitchen - I obviously like doing these when they focus on color! (Should have jumped in with the pink DAT.) This one started with the range - love the color - and thought that soapstone with those pretty glassy green veins would work well with it. The gorgeous sink is from a Florida Joshua post a while back. Kohler bridge faucet, Lewis Dolin knob, googled backsplash, Layla Grace criss cross table, chair from Home Decorators, pendant from Brand Lighting.

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I like the Green and Yellow--and the Dark Brown. It's medium browns that give me a problem with yellow, I guess.

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

palimpsest - (Florence Broadhurst) I really adore the bright yellow and white together. This is a perfect application where white appliances really work.
    (Blackout) This is incredibly bold (in a good way). I really like it. In our teens, I painted my bedroom black and my brother painted his bedroom bright yellow. This reminds me of the two rooms next to each other. Love the abstract paintings and the linoleum.

marcolo - The buttery yellow backsplash with deco trim and vintage sink are fantastic.

boxerpups - (French Provincial) This is really lovely. I would typically shy away from gold tones, but you've made it work perfectly.

purplepansies - (Teal and Yellow) This is fantastic. The bold turquoise cabinets and bold backsplash are perfect together. The floor grounds everything very well. Your daughter obviously has great taste!

dee850 - (Bright Yellow and White) I really love this one. The bold yellow and blue are fantastic together. I really love the colbalt blue hex tile as a backsplash.

2LittleFishies - The fixtures are from Rejuvenation: Lombard flushmount and Rhone pendant with Opal and Butter Schoolhouse shade.

• dee850
    12 years ago

Florantha, I really like this colorful kitchen. It seems to have enough diversity of color and texture that it would still look good with all the trappings of real life in there, which I know is not true of all my fantasy kitchens :)

Purplepansies - I love that green and pale yellow combo! Great with soapstone, and colorful yet calm.

• mtnfever (9b AZ/HZ 11)
    12 years ago

Thanks to all of you for contributing and critiquing!

Much like Meg Ryan in ''You've Got Mail'', for some reason my mind has gone _______ for the last few DATs with no inspirations nor ideas. All I've been able to do to admire the ones already posted. I'll think harder for the next and try to be more active.

cheers

• Circus Peanut
    12 years ago

I've been terribly swamped but as a yellow kitchen owner have been meaning to contribute something here. Don't let it die just yet!

On steampunk, you simply MUST include this video, one of the best things of all the many things I've seen on YouTube. I keep meaning to link it for JohnLiu to see:

Here is a link that might be useful: Just Glue Some Gears On It (And Call It Steampunk)

• User
    12 years ago

Marcolo, I like where you are headed with your kitchen but for me the counter choice just does not fit. I do not really like quartz in a 1920's kitchen but did find an example that would sort of tie in with your ideas.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill Lim I hope you don't mind me posting your pic

• gregincal
    12 years ago

Well, a bit late, but I was designing my backsplash and realized my mock up would work for this DAT (I've never done one of these before because I spend enough time designing my own kitchen). This is my backsplash design (although in real life I may not use these colors). Some of the other elements are also from my real kitchen design and others are just for this thread:

Fireclay Tile Debris series backsplash
    Rangemaster (AGA) range
    Rohl Allia fireclay sink in biscuit
    Natural cherry cabinets
    Marmoleum Barley floor
    "Tuscan Green" granite
    Old painted kitchen table

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

I like the closely correlated colors in this last one and the simple way you are accenting the backsplash behind the range.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Loving the last few.

atthomeinva, I'm not settled on the Caesarstone Nougat but it does seem to work with these colors IRL. I lived in a 1920 building with terrazzo floors in the bathrooms, and the Nougat seems to echo that. If I wanted to be absolutely authentic with the countertops, my choices would be wood (possible), monel (not gonna happen and stainless is too cold to substitute) or linoleum (not all that practical and I will need to sell someday). I think the pic you posted looks great, though.

STEAMPUNK: I'll write up the post this weekend if you guys want. I'm not planning to write anything elaborate, I just want to make sure we get at least sort of in the ballpark of what steampunk actually is. I'm no expert in it at all, but I'd feel terrible if I accidentally acted as an accessory to the stealing of the movement by RH and other cataloguers.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

So finally I get a chance to make some comments. I hope to finish before this thread goes to 150 and locks me out.

Cawaps,
    I like the idea of the Spanish colonial but I think it's nowhere near over the top yet. I'd prefer there to be much more Mexican-y tiles. Blues and yellows but without the greens or with the greens really downplayed?

I think with that yellow range needs a number of other yellows in the room so you get a rainbow of yellows between range color and the wall color. And is there a cabinet type that more closely echoes that honkin' big old historic looking wall unit? Or can you get a cabinet out of hickory or something with a greyed weatherbeaten look as a stronger contrast to the old, warm wood of the antique?

I like the wrought iron and think you need plenty of it. Do they have wrought iron faucets? sinks? Or perhaps some kind of window trim or drapery rod accessory?

As I look again I think I'd prefer more different blues to the green in the tile. Yes, I know others love the green, but what about a spectrum of yellows and of blues? You've got me thinking. And it would NOT look like the Swedish flag. Gotta base it on another great tile.

The wood unit is my fave in the whole composition.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Before I comment on anyone else's kitchen, I should probably offer one of my own...

Marie was so excited to be getting her first place. Finally, a home of her own and it didn't matter that she had very little money to fix it up. Marie knew her white kitchen, with black formica countertops and cheap floor was going to be a challenge, but she was also confident that she could come up with some creative solutions. What to use for inspriation? Then, she saw them at the store, in a big bouquet :) {{gwi:1707000}}From Yellow Kitchen

The first thing was paint! The kitchen faced north and east and the white walls and cabinets looked cold and gray. She got some sunny yellow paint and painted the cabinets yellow and the walls a soft green. {{gwi:1707001}}From Yellow Kitchen

Then, she took most of her budget and went out and purchased an easy to install, snap together, floating wood floor. With the help of her friends, it went in pretty easily. {{gwi:1707003}}From Yellow Kitchen

Now, she needed a table...and she found a beautiful one, at an estate sale. {{gwi:1707005}}From Yellow Kitchen

And this is how she used it, with the 'inexpensive' chairs she slipcovered. {{gwi:1707007}}From Yellow Kitchen

Now, to serve a fancy tea and cake for all her family and friends :) {{gwi:1707009}}From Yellow Kitchen
    {{gwi:1707011}}From Yellow Kitchen

• sedona_heaven
    12 years ago

Oh Lavender Lass, I love your posts!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Congrats to all posters! Thanks for posting, designers. I really admire this activity. Here follows some intensely personal commentary...bask or duck!

I like Pal's first colonial revival one very much--probably because of the yellow and gray palette, but also because I like the tile, I like wallpaper and I like the cabs. I'd use a table with skinnier legs but the captain's chair is a good idea. Instead of tile, this could have stencils of same pattern. Always glad to see "colonial" concepts in today's world. His brass version of the same is less interesting to me, although it's in applications like both of these cabinet choices that I give real approval of glazing in the crevices of the cabs; the cabs in that second one I like best of the items and perhaps the lantern light, although, a traditionalist, of course I prefer the old standard brass chandelier over tables or islands. Pal, that fabric pattern is much like the ones I have to seek out for my pre-Civil War costumes. Some of the combos are downright weird by today's sensibility, but this one I could live with. Good choice for an old house with modern residents.

I also like the retro Pal kitchen--same palette as the first colonial revival one. Good looking items. Good taste. Good.

As for the "classic" one, would those elephants be in the dining room or the kitchen? I've seen that kind of thing in other rooms but never in a kitchen. Very gutsy. I assume that there will be a towel elephant on the countertop, or at the very least a rattan ceiling fan.

The Serigrafica and Broadhurst ones are not as satisfying to me. That intense yellow in a brocade pattern makes me think of a lot of 60s-70s rooms that are best left in the 60s. And for the "Montreal" yellow and black one, I'd need a personality transplant. I'm too arrogant to let a room trump me; no fair having the room have more personality than I do and no fair letting it fight me for queenship.

Boxerpups, you did good. Nice integration. Same with Cawaps in the yellow and gray one--it screams "I have good taste."

Dee, welcome to the party. I favor your first entry. Gentle and happy. The second one is very very trendy. It has an aggressive blueness that I'd switch out for one of my [favorite] muted reds--I almost never do blue, myself. [My sister wore blue, I wore red as a kid.] But it's a good set of ideas.

Purplepansies, You sure had fun! Not sure I could live in your first entry--like Pal's strong personality entry--but I'd love to visit. The pastel one begs for fabrics, dishes, accessories. It's very feminine. The one with the strong yellow tile would have a different personality without the tile--just sticking to the yellow in the countertop, which makes me like the room better.

Marcolo, if your house matches that kitchen, you've done a good job of walking that line between updating and living in the past. I like the palette, if you don't abandon the red-brown. I also like the string-along tile pattern but it does look like bathrooms from my childhood (sorry).

Pricklypear, yours really intrigues me because of the Hollywood Regency studying we did a few weeks ago. Very true to that aesthetic EXCEPT for those schoolhouse lights, which run up against my biases. When people use these colored repros in kitchens, they're usually in 1930s style common kitchens, not upscale ones like yours. I'd prefer something from this cast of budding stars from Creative Lighting here in Twin Cities...

{{gwi:1707012}}{{gwi:1707014}}{{gwi:1707016}}{{gwi:1707017}}{{gwi:1707019}}{{gwi:1707020}}

Apologies if I'm out of line.--F.

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Mayberry- Thank you :)

• CEFreeman
    12 years ago

Ok, I hope you don't mind.
    I look at the pictures you guys make and dream. :)

I was wondering if anyone had ever put together a dijon or grayed yellow kitchen. I guess it might not be the 1920's period maybe, but it's a color I love.

Selfishly, I was hoping to look at ideas. You folks are incredibly creative and insightful.

• User
    12 years ago

Steampunk alert -- Saw a magazine at Hancock Fabric yesterday called Just Steampunk...all sorts of home decor items that led to Tuesday night nightmares. I know you all can do a better kitchen.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

bump

• cawaps
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Florantha, I love the curtain fabric. Turquoise and coral red is a great combination. It took me a while to notice that if you take away the accessories and the chair, your kitchen is pretty much neutral except for the yellow walls. Since paint is easy to change up, you could easily take this kitchen in a whole different direction.

Regarding your comments on my Spanish Colonial, I agree that the wall color didn't quite work (I've been thinking that every time I scroll past it). I understand what you are saying about bridging the gap between the color of the range and the walls (I often do this will blues and greens-2 colors don't quite work, but add another 6 in the same color range and it looks fine), but in this case I think I just would have been better off not trying to do yellow on the walls (a la Purplepansies wall color change-up). On the cabinet style, I had enough trouble coming close on color without trying to match style, but if you had that armoire it would be cool to go custom on the cabs to mimic the style. Did you see in my note that the armoire had leather panels? I don't think I would want that in the kitchen, although it might work on the uppers. Maybe I'll try to do a revision based on your comments.

Javachik regarding the vintage Swedish kilim--your post cracked me up. Glad you liked it.

Purplepansies Green/yellow/soapstone. I really like those particular shades of yellow and green together, and the floral print on the chair makes it feminine without being overwhelming. I don't think the lighting fixture is a great fit for the kitchen. Not sure what would be better, though.

Gregincal Aga kithcen: Love the tile. The red/brown liner and decorative tile add interest without going overboard. I like how the green in the tile works with the granite.

Lavender Lass - Marie's kitchen: Very pretty. Your third picture (with the arch above the window) is in my inspiration folder, and my kitchen is very nearly the same color.

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

cawaps, I entered the DAT by adapting the idea of the required yellow using the egg yolk paint and the orangey rings around the recessed lights (easily changeable I think) and in the mix of colors in the globe lights. Otherwise most of the color is just accessories. Nothing really expensive is yellow.

You're very right. Of all the items, it's that fabric that really talks. I had to decide how much to shrink it in the collage--there's supposed to be a foot of distance across each of the squares and I show four squares, so the stripe isn't massive. Imagine it if it were large enough to cover a yard or more--that's the way my Olioboard began its life. Bold Zigazgs!

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

I was inspired by some of the amazing modern kitchens in the DAT threads and the cool retro Big Chill appliances in yellow. I used white modern Ikea cabinets with retro stainless countertops and floor tiles. I thought a punch of bright green would be fun with the MCM lighting and hardware.

• marcolo
    12 years ago

Prickly, you're a genius. Until you came along, the necessary yellow and lime combination was completely unspoken for. The midcentury angle is perfect.

• boxerpups
    12 years ago

pricklypear,

LOVE IT!!!!

~boxer

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Didn't think I'd head to the yellows and gray palette without an additional accent color, but here I am anyway. The more I work with this room the more I think I'd like to cook in it.

This is my "Dolce Vita" entry. It is based on the Formica 180fx "Dolce Vita" you see on the upper right--has streaks of yellow in it. This is a 5 x 8 sheet of faux stone, one of the newer patterns. I'm sure true stone experts could tell us more about what real stone it's modeled on. I have a 180fx countertop and a year and a half into ownership, it's been a good product, albeit more sparkly than I would ordinarily have chosen. Not sure what the newer finishes are like.

The goal here is a refuge at end of the work day. I'd stick to pewter, wrought iron, dark stainless as much as possible, except for the sparkly gold/brass/silverish aspects. This includes stainless appliances. Soft whites to creams in fabrics--textures instead of prints. Greys and yellows instead of browns. Houseplants okay, but strongly colored bouquets can go into the dining room.

I tried to create a modern vibe but with a traditional leaning...thus the Audubon wood duck print. Change it to Picasso and you've got something else.

tiles: Ann Sacks Davlin 2 x 2 multi-metals--this is pricey I'm sure
    sink: Kohler "Dickinson" in Cashmere
    pendants: Sustainable Shells Varaluz Naturals--Yellow Mother of Pearl--a real splurge
    cabs: Shiloh "Bristol" maple golden with mocha glaze--I really like this door style--updates the usual "shaker" look
    flooring: Eligna "Heritage Oak Planks"--I don't know anything about this flooring; I found it in the Olioboards set. I was looking for a darkish floor that was not so dark that it would need constant dusting.
    ceiling fan: Kichler "Structures". They sell matching ceiling fixtures and pendants also.
    paints: Martha Stewart "Haystack" (the darker color) and "Yellow Magnolia"
    countertop: Formica 180FX "Dolce Vita"
    cabinet hardware: Anne at Home "Bloom"

Here is a link that might be useful: Olioboard

• palimpsest
    12 years ago

Pricklypear the lime and yellow one is a strong MCM kitchen without being a caricature of one, very nice.

Florantha, I really like this grey and gold/yellow one.

• lalithar
    12 years ago

Lavendar,

I am in love.. seriously I need that table (the one in the picture with all the food on it).. You have to give me his number.. I mean the website or whatever details you have.. please!!

Lalitha

• lavender_lass
    12 years ago

Lalitha- Here's the link...but all it says is the photo is via Country Home.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to breakfast room

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

Why, thank you, Palimpsest! And a thank-you goes to dee850 and cawaps and purplepansies for comments on my other kitchen.

I like yellow. Sure wish someone would do a mustard yellow kitchen so I can interact with it on the cheap. (Serigrafica kitchen excepted--not my style.)

• cawaps
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pricklypear Big Chill--I love the Big Chill appliances, and they are a greatshade of yellow. Nice to see another mid-century look.

Florantha Dolce Vita--That Formica is truly fabulous. I'm holding out hope that the DATs can redeem laminate from being viewed as lowbrow, sub-par, or otherwise not worthy of TKO types--and your board is definitely a step in the right direction. Nice balance of colors and I like the use of the natural cabs here with the yellow (like Pal's "Naturally Yellow" one above).

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

Prickly, I love that infusion of lime, and the yellow/lime paired with stainless is sleek.

Florantha, I'm with Cawaps, that formica is so cool! I really love the yellow and gray scheme, one of my favorites! I'm also a huge fan of the iridescence of shell pendants.

Now, I don't claim to know your style, Florantha, but your comment on mustard yellow got me thinking when I saw the fabric in the scheme below. Hope you'll like something in it.

So I decided to pair the yellow cabinets with a walnut counter, and although it may not be for everyone, chose a little bling with glossy iridescent tiles. Wanted to keep the warm feeling, so chose the taupe range, a walnut trestle table, dark wood floor and woven chairs for some texture. Knobs are butter yellow flower Betsy Field glass knobs - wanted something with a little whimsy. Not certain about the chandelier - it may be a bit too "delicate" - ? - but I really like it. Anyway, here it is:

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

purplepansies, of all the yellows in your recent mustard (?) kitchen the cab color is my favorite. I like it with the warm browns--good call. The other yellow items are hard to match using online photos, I know.

What gave me the giggles is that you have chosen a fabric I really like, albeit in another colorway (mauvy gray leaves and red birds on natural linen--I think it's out of production now, sigh). I planned to use mine in a rather formal dining room, before the plan morphed out of control--long story. The birds make me smile. Obviously I like the playfulness of your design.

I think your wicker chair is useful also--not only a color and texture but it appears to be comfortable in its back support. I often refer to chairs as 1-hr, 2-hr, and 3-hr dinner party chairs. This might be a 3-hr one.

Like you, I chose cute yellow hardware. There are a number of these in yellow, aren't there? And they're hard to resist.

Mine: Bloom by Anne at Home. Too small to really see in my olioboard...here they are big...
    {{gwi:1707028}}{{gwi:1707030}}

• purplepansies
    12 years ago

Thanks for your feedback, Florantha! It is hard to choose color online. I find it interesting that when I use my Mac most of the colors I pick look like the right shade/hue, but if I use our PC or look on my Nook, they can seem a bit "off." Guess that's why you get samples in real life!

LOVE that Anne at Home hardware! I really didn't notice the inlaid design on your board.

Ok, so I have 2 more yellow kitchens I've been working on, deciding whether I should post them. For someone who jumped into these very late, I've gone from 0 to 100 in one DAT! It is addicting!!

• formerlyflorantha
    12 years ago

gregincal, I hadn't really looked at your kitchen yet, but gotta say now that I've looked and thought about it, that the warm yellow and greyed green are nice. Close to the mustard I keep mentioning but with more heart and more gold. I very much like the warmth of the cab color. You could substitute in a stainless or white range and still have a yellow kitchen. Nice job. And the happy painted table gives it a real homey feel.

I'm a set-the-table girl and that table would have a drawerful of accessories--tablecloths, candlesticks, dishes. You can dress the room up or down with them. Yet the tabletop finish would allow a bare table look also. Always warm looking, even when covered with tax forms and pencils.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Upper cabinets pale yellow framed mirrors fashioned into full overlay cabinet doors.
    Countertop - Corian Hazelnut
    Lower cabinets quarter sawn English sycamore
    Sink - galaxy bronze Anibac
    Backlsplash- hand painted tiles -Unaluntile
    Fabric -Jim Thompson

Love all the tiles on the Unaluntile site and although I'm not a big lover of Corian I do like the Hazelnut with the backsplash. Sorry it got distorted for resizing.

• jterrilynn
    12 years ago

Lots of nice designs from all! The kitchen that I really love is Pal's 6th one down (I think) the one with the fabulous wall paper. The whole feel is wonderfully unique. I would probably want different artsy chairs but everything else is perfect (to me).

• pricklypearcactus
    12 years ago

florantha - I can see your point regarding upscale vs "common". Not out of line at all. I appreciate the critique and it may be an opinion but it definitely has merit. To an extent I do agree, but I also think the simplicity of the schoolhouse fixture can work even in a fancier kitchen.

marcolo, boxerpups, palimpsest, cawaps, purplepansies - Thanks for the encouragement. I was a little concerned the combination of that yellow and green might give someone a seizure or at least a migraine, but I'm glad others liked it too.

I'm really looking forward to steampunk, although I'm a little worried whether I will get it right. Either way it will be fun to try.

• doggonegardener
    12 years ago

I thought of this thread when I saw this in my FB feed from This Old House today...Hope it's ok to cross post. Very appropriate to the discussion and idea flow...

http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/photos/0,,20582444,00.html