Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sniff_gw

Tight radius sinks, faucet reach

sniff
10 years ago

I would like a tight radius sink and have my eye on the Ruvati RVH7300, a 30" model. Like most near zero radius models, the drain is not centered in the middle, but is closer to the back of the sink. I had chosen the Delta Trinsic pull down faucet 9159. Based on the drain placement and the faucet reach (9.5"), I estimate that the water will hit the sink about 3" forward of the drain. The sink is 10" deep, the faucet is 15.68" high. The spout height is 8 3/8", so water will fall 18inches +. Should I worry about splashing?

Any recommendations for sub-$400 faucets with integral spray for sinks with this drain placement?

(center of drain is 4 3/4" from back wall of sink, if counter is 24", sink inside is 16, and everything is installed centered a reach of 6 3/4 may send the water directly into the drain)

This post was edited by sniff on Thu, May 16, 13 at 13:29

Comments (11)

• rococogurl
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Is the faucet to be deck mounted? That is, installed through the counter behind the sink vs through a predrilled hole in the sink border? If so, the amount of space between the inside edge of the sink to the center of the faucet must be added into the calculation.

It's easy to forget that the faucet doesn't sit right on the edge of the sink. And a set back is often needed so the faucet clears the back of the sink underneath where they may be a flange or clips.

Then recalculate.

• sniff
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes, rococogurl, installed through the counter. I calculated that the sink would be centered front to back, leaving 4" behind it and in front. I assumed the faucet would be centered in the 4". It requires a 1 3/8" hole.

Any opinions on using a bar faucet with the sink. Delta makes one with the same appearance, but it's 13" high with a reach of 6 1/2". I think if the granite folks template properly this faucet could be installed dead center to the drain.

Only concern is, is it too far back for a short gal to be comfortable at the sink???

• angie_diy
    10 years ago

Generally, you want to make the front edge of the sink be about 3 to 4" from the edge of the countertop. Hollysprings has recommended 3". I went to a kitchen showroom with a tape measure and the smallest I could find was closer to 3.5". If you have 1.5" overhang + 3/4" cab thickness+3/4" sink flange, then the smallest you can have is about 3". This does not leave room for mounting clips, but you can use a Sink Setter instead. Mine wound up about 3.25" from the edge.

Anyway, let's say you wind up at 3.5" from the front edge. That should mean that the rear edge will be 25.5"-3.5"-16" = 6" from the wall. You should allow about 1/2" for a backsplash, so you should wind up with an area of about 5.5" behind the sink. If you center the faucet on this, I think that a reach of 5.5/2+4.75" = 7.5" would go into center of drain.

• Bunny
    10 years ago

Re splashing: Water falls 20" from my faucet to the drain, over which it is centered. If that weren't the case, there would be a greater risk of splashing, esp. since I use a sink grid. Splashing is always a possibility and you have to take care to avoid it.

• cookncarpenter
    10 years ago

I selected my faucet on looks and feel, so It never occurred to me to do all that math to see if it would hit in the drain. As you can see, I did luck out though! Blanco Silgranite Precis and Grohe Bridgeford...
    Some dimensions if they help: Front edge of sink = 3-1/4" back, Faucet hole center = 2-3/8" back from rear edge of countertop. Sink= 17"+ 1/8" positive reveal. Faucet reach= 8-1/8"+- Drain center = 5-1/2"+- from back edge of sink.

This post was edited by ctycdm on Fri, May 17, 13 at 14:54

• Peke
    10 years ago

I bought the Ruvati RVH8300 and the Delta Intrinsic so I will having the same problem as you. Peke

• kellysar
    10 years ago

I have the Trinsic pull down, and love it. I have a 17" water drop, and the water lands two inches forward from the edge of the drain. I have no problems at all with splashing.

• rococogurl
    10 years ago

A lot depends on the sink. I don't feel it should be centered in the cabinet. I like sinks pulled forward in the cabinet as much as possible for two reasons. First, less leaning in and more comfortable use. Second, it leaves more space in back. But this is something the fabricator often decides automatically unless it is discussed in advance. And if the counter is stone it can require more delicate templating -- something to inquire about/discuss when they come to template.

I have stainless counters so when he came to template I actually had the faucet on hand and we were able to hold it up and see where it should go. Then you can have your calculations at hand but make adjustments at the critical time. That's best case but not everyone can be there.

Also, I don't assume counter over hang because it depends on the style, material and fabrication. Some counters have overhangs and some will be flush with the front of the cabinets -- though I don't feel that's most desirable -- and yet modern kitchens may have that. Another point to discuss. Again, with mine, the KD wanted more overhang than I did and I had her pull it back to 1/2-inch.

So, what I'd do -- and maybe you've done this already -- is get the spec sheets for the sink you want and the spec sheets for each faucet you're considering. There was a similar thread by sparkling water where I posted those (link is below) and walked through key issues for each. You can see what you think.

Measurement formula basically is drain center to inside edge of sink + additional width of exterior sink flange/clips+ setback 2-3" usually (but that depends) + half the diameter of the faucet.

I don't worry about the back or the tile thickness unless I was going with very thick 3 dimensional tile or they are building out the wall for some reason. As a rule -- just a guideline -- there should be around 5+ inches in back but that can vary with how the sink is positioned. I pay attention to that as not all cabinets are made the same way. And the sink needs to rest on the frame, of course.

If the spout is lined up with the drain (it needn't be dead center) splashing is usually eliminated. But, some faucets don't splash even if they aren't lined up. The deeper the sink, the less splashing unless the water hits something.

Splashing also can be a function of the flow rate -- how many gallons per minute the faucet handles and how much water pressure a house has. In the other thread, there was a difference in that among the various faucets. Flow rate also is noted on the faucet spec sheet -- something to consider.

This would not be as knotty if more showrooms had the faucets hooked up and functional. One look that way is worth hours of time!! After typing this, I started a thread to compile a smart list of showrooms across the country that offer working faucets.

Here is a link that might be useful: sink/faucet thread

This post was edited by rococogurl on Sun, May 19, 13 at 19:41

• whit461
    10 years ago

Same faucet. 32" zero radius Nantucket sink. Splashes some when in spray mode and stuff in bottom of sink, but that's what bar towels are for. It's minimal. We love our sink and faucet.

• sail_away
    10 years ago

I have the Ruvati 30" tight-radius sink (RVH7300), and I love it. We had to replace our faucet some time before we actually began our kitchen update, so we bought one with the idea in mind that we would be buying a single basin undermount sink in the near future. So there was no way to line up the faucet with the drain.

As it turns out, if the faucet is not on all the way the stream goes directly into the drain, but if I have it turned on stronger, it hits the bottom of the sink. I don't think it really matters, as with my faucet there is minimal to no splashing. Actually, I tried it this evening and it didnt splash at all. The splashing happens when I run the water over my hands or over dishes---the location of the drain has nothing to do with it.

My faucet has been discontinued and is no longer available. I imagine that the amount of splashing may vary from faucet to faucet.

I just want to add that I was surprised to find that I love the grid that comes with the sink. I thought I wouldn't ever use it, but now that I have I wouldn't want to be without it.

• msl511
    10 years ago

I'm thinking there's got to be something about the faucet itself that prevents splashing, rather than the height from the bottom of the sink or whether or not the water is going straight down the drain.

We haven't renovated yet, so I still have my old enamel covered sink and a nothing fancy Delta faucet that looks very much like the one linked below. It's a pull out and we have some serious water pressure.

I just went into the kitchen and turned on the water full force. No splashing when it goes straight down the drain. No splashing when I move the faucet to the side and let it hit the bottom of the sink. When I pulled the faucet out and held it way up high (30" from the bottom of the sink) and let it hit the bottom of the sink, there was only the most minimal splashing.

In daily use, I can put a bowl or a pot in the sink and fill it with water without splashing. The only time I get annoying splashing is if there's a spoon in the bowl and the water stream is hitting the spoon directly.

I'm kind of surprised at the number of people (I realize not everyone) who have splashing problems with high end faucets. I wonder if manufacturers are favoring form over function or if it's harder (not impossible, just harder) to make a high arc faucet not splash in normal use.

As far as I'm concerned, when comes to splashing, it shouldn't make a bit of difference whether or not your faucet is over the drain. Even if that's where it is in when it's facing directly forward, don't we all sometimes turn the faucet to one side or another from something?

But I just had a thought. I was always taught to run cold water directly into the drain when the disposal was running, that you didn't get enough cold water fast enough if the faucet wasn't flowing directly into the drain. If you have a drain that isn't centered in the sink and a faucet that doesn't flow directly into the drain, does that mean that every time you run the disposal you have to pull out/down the faucet and stand there holding it? I will often do something else while the disposal runs.

Here is a link that might be useful: My current Delta faucet

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath